A depressing story

Hi All

It has taken me over a month to finally admit to this group that I have destroyed my SYNCRO.
I was driving on a nice sunny morning on the Eastern Freeway in Melbourne
 towards the city to pick up my brand new 15 inch Mefros from Roger.
I could see the traffic slow down about 1 km before the end of the freeway.
The lack of concentration for the blink of an eye led to me running up the back of a Ute that had slowed down more than I anticipated. I put down a ~ 10m skid mark and hit the Ute fairly hard and pushed him into the rear of a Golf.
I make no excuses. BAD BAD DRIVING.

The result: 
The Golf: superficial bumper damage: shaken little old lady  - but OK.
The Ute: Older model Holden tray: Write off - tray pushed onto cabin: Driver very shaken but walked away no serious injuries.
The SYNCRO: Front smashed in. Tray pushed bull bar into the  front . Bumper area has tow ball imprint. Window glass OK. It seems that there is no damage below the bumper area. Panel beater thinks it can be repaired by putting on a new front including cabin, dash, doors and lots of other bits.
Me: some bumps and bruises and a very bruised ego. 

If anybody knows of a good front let me know

Tom*:( sad*:(( crying

Bugger Tom.

At least the "SYNCRO" number plate was spared any damage - that must be a sign to repair the old bus.

Best of luck with the repair.

I know that Steve Muller was trying to get rid of a gold coloured 2wd caravelle - free but it needs to be picked up urgently.

It is located in north West Sydney and it is on wheels and rolls - no front or side doors actually no rear door either.

I might be able to scrape up a couple of front doors too.

Let me know ASAP about the 2wd shell.

Cheers,

Scott

On 29/09/2014 2:19 PM, Tom Mischler energysustained@ymail.com [Syncro_T3_Australia] wrote:
Hi All

It has taken me over a month to finally admit to this group that I have destroyed my SYNCRO.
The lack of concentration for the blink of an eye led to me running up the back of a Ute that had slowed down more than I anticipated. I put down a ~ 10m skid mark and hit the Ute fairly hard and pushed him into the rear of a Golf.

The result:
The Golf: superficial bumper damage: shaken little old lady - but OK.
The Ute: Older model Holden tray: Write off - tray pushed onto cabin: Driver very shaken but walked away no serious injuries.
The SYNCRO: Front smashed in. Tray pushed bull bar into the front . Bumper area has tow ball imprint. Window glass OK. It seems that there is no damage below the bumper area. Panel beater thinks it can be repaired by putting on a new front including cabin, dash, doors and lots of other bits.

If you find a pop top shell that you use for the front, let me know as I'll buy the pop top roof.

Regards
Steve

On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 2:34 PM, spbconsulting@bigpond.com [Syncro_T3_Australia] <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Bugger Tom.

At least the "SYNCRO" number plate was spared any damage - that must be a sign to repair the old bus.

Best of luck with the repair.

I know that Steve Muller was trying to get rid of a gold coloured 2wd caravelle - free but it needs to be picked up urgently.

It is located in north West Sydney and it is on wheels and rolls - no front or side doors actually no rear door either.

I might be able to scrape up a couple of front doors too.

Let me know ASAP about the 2wd shell.

Cheers,

Scott

On 29/09/2014 2:19 PM, Tom Mischler energysustained@ymail.com [Syncro_T3_Australia] wrote:
Hi All

The result:
The SYNCRO: Front smashed in. Tray pushed bull bar into the front . Bumper area has tow ball imprint. Window glass OK. It seems that there is no damage below the bumper area. Panel beater thinks it can be repaired by putting on a new front including cabin, dash, doors and lots of other bits.

Well done Tom,
you have just demonstrate how "bullet poof" the T3 is.

Isn't it amazing how safe we are when we are in one.

When I had several of them for business, they had the occasional trip to the panel beater with the car that hit them towed off, probably to the breakers yard.
I only had one write off.
No one was in it.
There was a string of cars, two behind our not very old T3, witnesses reckoned the Commodore which ran into the back of the first car was doing over a 100Ks.
Our T3 was not crushed but it was structurally distorted.
In fact it didn't look bad till we examined it.
There were ripples in the roof and floor.

It was still safe if someone had been in it.

Let all T3s drive on,

Peter

--Original Message Text---
From: Tom Mischler energysustained@ymail.com [Syncro_T3_Australia]
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2014 21:19:31 -0700

Hi All

The result:

Tom

Thanks Scott

I will try to find something closer first since I am in Melbourne.

Tom, really sorry this has happened to you. Assuming an insurance company is involved a front clip from a donor vehicle will be the only economical way to repair it. Especially considering the amount of 2wds you hear about getting scrapped, although most seem to be in NSW and QLD. It will none the less be a mass of man hours, are you hearing the right things from the insurance company? Greg

From: "energysustained@ymail.com [Syncro_T3_Australia]" <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com>
To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, 29 September 2014, 17:42
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] A depressing story

Thanks Scott

No problem.

Just trying to help.

Cheers,

Scott

On 29/09/2014 5:42 PM, energysustained@ymail.com [Syncro_T3_Australia] wrote:

Thanks Scott

Greg,

I bought the wreck from the insurance company.
Greg,  on your recommendation it was CIL  - thanks :-)
They were really good and very prompt with all the dealings I had with  them.:-)
My thinking is - investigate the repair. If not viable I will sell it off in bits and pieces. :-(
There are many good parts in it and on it.
Still a way to go.

Tom

From: "Greg Esposito gregespo73@yahoo.com [Syncro_T3_Australia]" <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com>
To: "Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com" <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Monday, 29 September 2014, 19:53

Tom, really sorry this has happened to you. Assuming an insurance company is involved a front clip from a donor vehicle will be the only economical way to repair it. Especially considering the amount of 2wds you hear about getting scrapped, although most seem to be in NSW and QLD. It will none the less be a mass of man hours, are you hearing the right things from the insurance company? Greg

From: "energysustained@ymail.com [Syncro_T3_Australia]" <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com>

Thanks Scott

Sent: Monday, 29 September 2014, 20:39

Greg,

They were really good and very prompt with all the dealings I had with  them.:-)
My thinking is - investigate the repair. If not viable I will sell it off in bits and pieces. :-(
Still a way to go.

Tom

From: "Greg Esposito gregespo73@yahoo.com [Syncro_T3_Australia]" <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com>

Thanks Scott

Good to hear CIL came through. If you break it up will that be the end of your syncro addiction? Keep us posted. Greg

From: "Tom Mischler energysustained@ymail.com [Syncro_T3_Australia]" <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com>

Greg,

Still a way to go.

Tom

Thanks Scott

Very sorry to hear what happened to your bus Tom, must have been a sad day. Glad you survived OK.

You might find this an interesting read:  http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=105437&page=5#pid1000836

richard

After 23 years driving a Syncro I would love to continue with that unique type of vehicle.
We had many great trips with it. It served us well.
I fixing is not an option - Does anyone know of a good one?
If there is a suitable syncro around I will seriously think of continuing with this tradition since I have many spare parts now.:-(

Tom

Sent: Monday, 29 September 2014, 22:29

Good to hear CIL came through. If you break it up will that be the end of your syncro addiction? Keep us posted. Greg

From: "Tom Mischler energysustained@ymail.com [Syncro_T3_Australia]" <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com>

Greg,

Still a way to go.

Tom

Thanks Scott

Not good news as I have recently (past 12 months) become addicted to my Syncro.  Maybe a call to Nick at Volksparts here in Bungendore on 0412 345 126 may turn up the bits and panels you need.  I can't remember what was out at the farm last time I was out there.  Good luck anyhow.

Ian
Try Volkscare in Boronia, Boris may know of a wreck.
Tell him Clarkie told you.

On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 7:52 AM, Tom Mischler energysustained@ymail.com [Syncro_T3_Australia] <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

After 23 years driving a Syncro I would love to continue with that unique type of vehicle.
If there is a suitable syncro around I will seriously think of continuing with this tradition since I have many spare parts now.:-(
Tom

Good to hear CIL came through. If you break it up will that be the end of your syncro addiction? Keep us posted. Greg

Greg,

Greg, on your recommendation it was CIL - thanks :-)
They were really good and very prompt with all the dealings I had with them.:-)
Still a way to go.
Tom

Tom, really sorry this has happened to you. Assuming an insurance company is involved a front clip from a donor vehicle will be the only economical way to repair it. Especially considering the amount of 2wds you hear about getting scrapped, although most seem to be in NSW and QLD. It will none the less be a mass of man hours, are you hearing the right things from the insurance company? Greg

Thanks Scott

Tom the cheap way out would be to get a tin top syncro and swap the roof and interior. Depends on how much you invested in buying back the wreck. If you get a Telecom car be wary that it wont have rear seat belt mounts. If you are even more adventurous you could buy a 2wd and do a conversion.
I bet you wish you kept the ambulance now.

Sent: Tuesday, 30 September 2014, 7:52

Tom

Greg,

Still a way to go.

Tom

Thanks Scott

Hi all

The depressing story is getting less depressing.

I am replacing my crashed high top van.

I bought a 89 tin top syncro from Wollongong last week.
Still needs a bit of work but not too bad. 
Just looking for a nice pop up roof now.
I also need a RH high beam lens for RW  - anyone?
Has no power steering --  can I swap the one from the wreck into it?
Maybe swap diff lock gearbox too.

Tom :)

Sent: Tuesday, 30 September 2014, 9:59

Tom the cheap way out would be to get a tin top syncro and swap the roof and interior. Depends on how much you invested in buying back the wreck. If you get a Telecom car be wary that it wont have rear seat belt mounts. If you are even more adventurous you could buy a 2wd and do a conversion.

Tom

Greg,

Still a way to go.

Tom

Thanks Scott

Hi ya. Do you want to sell your shell with the high roof ???
I'm interested. 

Regards
Steve

On 18 Dec 2014, at 17:45, Tom Mischler energysustained@ymail.com [Syncro_T3_Australia] <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hi all

Tom

Greg,

Still a way to go.

Tom

Thanks Scott

Brilliant work Tom.

You can definitely swap over the steering racks and pump/plumbing etc but not an easy job. Check your crashed van rack is not bent first.

My dad had his syncro done and it worked fine.

I love my power steering.

On 18/12/2014 5:45 PM, Tom Mischler energysustained@ymail.com [Syncro_T3_Australia] wrote:
Hi all

I also need a RH high beam lens for RW - anyone?
Has no power steering -- can I swap the one from the wreck into it?

Tom the cheap way out would be to get a tin top syncro and swap the roof and interior. Depends on how much you invested in buying back the wreck. If you get a Telecom car be wary that it wont have rear seat belt mounts. If you are even more adventurous you could buy a 2wd and do a conversion.

Tom

Good to hear CIL came through. If you break it up will that be the end of your syncro addiction? Keep us posted. Greg

Greg,

Still a way to go.
Tom

Tom, really sorry this has happened to you. Assuming an insurance company is involved a front clip from a donor vehicle will be the only economical way to repair it. Especially considering the amount of 2wds you hear about getting scrapped, although most seem to be in NSW and QLD. It will none the less be a mass of man hours, are you hearing the right things from the insurance company? Greg

Thanks Scott

Where are you Tom

Did you have any type of pop top in mind ?
Pete SEQ

On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 4:45 PM, Tom Mischler energysustained@ymail.com [Syncro_T3_Australia] <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hi all

I also need a RH high beam lens for RW - anyone?
Has no power steering -- can I swap the one from the wreck into it?

Tom the cheap way out would be to get a tin top syncro and swap the roof and interior. Depends on how much you invested in buying back the wreck. If you get a Telecom car be wary that it wont have rear seat belt mounts. If you are even more adventurous you could buy a 2wd and do a conversion.

Tom

Greg,

Still a way to go.
Tom

Thanks Scott

Glad to see you're progressing Tom. Think the steering Wheel is smaller with     power steering so don't forget to save this too.
Cheers
Roger
Melbourne

On Thursday, 18 December 2014, 20:28, "Peter Wilson peterw1000@gmail.com [Syncro_T3_Australia]" <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Where are you Tom

Did you have any type of pop top in mind ?
Pete SEQ

On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 4:45 PM, Tom Mischler energysustained@ymail.com [Syncro_T3_Australia] <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hi all

Tom

Greg,

Still a way to go.

Tom

Thanks Scott