After Market Seats - Transporter/Syncro

Hi All,

I have original Transporter seats in my syncro and I’m thinking of upgrading to something more comfortable.

Apart from having to probably buy new rails to fit any non-VW seats to (fairly easy exercise I’d think), has anyone else changed their seats and if so would be happy to recommend their brand or choice??

Recaro, Paratus and other brands I know about, but thinking of replacing mine with something from a standard sedan or similar probably from one of the larger wrecking yards..

Any ideas??

Many thanks

Ronnie

p.s. Still taking feedback and suggestions on in car hot water heaters for showers such as Helton or Twine or similar

On 11/4/07, Ronnie Atlas <wordofmouth@onthe.net.au> wrote:

Hi All,

I have original Transporter seats in my syncro and I'm thinking of upgrading to something more comfortable.

Apart from having to probably buy new rails to fit any non-VW seats to (fairly easy exercise I'd think), has anyone else changed their seats and if so would be happy to recommend their brand or choice??

Recaro, Paratus and other brands I know about, but thinking of replacing mine with something from a standard sedan or similar probably from one of the larger wrecking yards..

Any ideas??

Many thanks

Ronnie

Ronnie,

The (real) Recaro seats out of A2 Golfs and Jettas had a rail system which can be unbolted. You can then take the seat pan from an old T3 seat and bolt them on to the seats. You'll need to drill at least 4 holes. Then just slide on like any stock T3 seats.

Just about any seat with a flat bottom can be bolted on easily.

BenT
Relacement tyres for 14" rims Hi all

I’m about to replace my terrible tyre collection and was looking for suggestions for brands and sizes of tyres for my standard 14” Syncro rims.

I’d like an all-terrain style of tread pattern rather than road tyres.

Cheers

Gary Cookson
Gary,

The BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A is an excellent tyre and the 27X8.5X14 is a perfect fit.  I have used them in a variety of conditions and find them very good, even on dry bitumen.  They also have a feature which very few tyres have.  They have a bead protector moulded into the tyre wall, a great tyre saver in rough going.  And if you want something that looks like it belongs to the Syncro, these certainly do.

Les

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, November 05, 2007 2:03 PM
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Relacement tyres for 14" rims

Hi all

I’m about to replace my terrible tyre collection and was looking for suggestions for brands and sizes of tyres for my standard 14” Syncro rims.

I’d like an all-terrain style of tread pattern rather than road tyres.

Cheers

Gary Cookson

Hey Ronnie,

I have a pair of autotechnica seats up front in my syncro. They
swivel as well. I cut the swivel mechanism out of the westfalia I
wrecked and then welded / bolted everything together. I think I had
to drill some holes in the bottom of the seat - the engineer has
approved everything so all good. The newer autotechnica seats I have
in my celica are pretty comfy, and the autotechnica brand tends to be
a fair bit cheaper than other aftermarket seats while still being ADR
approved.

Sam
Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Relacement tyres for 14" rims
Hi Les

I’ve talked to a couple of tyre shops and neither of them have the BF Goodrich All Terrains and claim they are no longer available. The only tyres I can get with an all terrain pattern in 14inch is 185x14 Dunlop Adventurer. These through Bob Jane Tmart.

Anyone else solved this recently and have any suggestions?

Cheers

Gary

Gary,

The BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A is an excellent tyre and the 27X8.5X14 is a perfect fit.  I have used them in a variety of conditions and find them very good, even on dry bitumen.  They also have a feature which very few tyres have.  They have a bead protector moulded into the tyre wall, a great tyre saver in rough going.  And if you want something that looks like it belongs to the Syncro, these certainly do.

Les

To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com  

Sent: Monday, November 05, 2007 2:03  PM

Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Relacement  tyres for 14" rims

Hi  all

I’m about to replace my terrible tyre collection and was looking  for suggestions for brands and sizes of tyres for my standard 14” Syncro  rims.

I’d like an all-terrain style of tread pattern rather than road  tyres.

Cheers

Gary Cookson

Gary,

I doubt this very much.  I will make a phone call in the morning and get back to you.

Les

Sent: Friday, November 09, 2007 2:40 PM
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Relacement tyres for 14" rims

Hi Les

I’ve talked to a couple of tyre shops and neither of them have the BF Goodrich All Terrains and claim they are no longer available. The only tyres I can get with an all terrain pattern in 14inch is 185x14 Dunlop Adventurer. These through Bob Jane Tmart.

Anyone else solved this recently and have any suggestions?

Cheers

Gary

Hi Les,

I was away with the Volkswagen Club at Merimbula for the cup weekend, and mentioned about DotVW and the Syncro group wanting to be together.  The suggestion was to speak to Dean Holden (Vice President) but it may be difficult to set aside an area, as there are already about 20 major groups to be marshalled (by volunteers, of course). The best way might be to meet somewhere nearby (preferably fairly early) and all arrive at the same time in a coherent group. I understand they are at least trying to group T1’s, T2’s and watercooled Kombi’s separately.

On the way to Merimbula (from up North) I stayed overnight at Shallow Crossing, site of our January adventures.  It was not the usual peaceful location as there were roadworks going on to seal the approaches to the crossing (apparently to lessen contamination of the waterways).  I did take the T5 up to Mogood’s lookout (on our day 1 trek), although it was no challenge really as that road (the actual climb to the lookout) had also been regraded recently (not sealed).

BRIAN REED

FAIRFIELD NATURAL THERAPIES

185 Wingrove St

Fairfield, Vic. 3078

03 9481 5673   0407 319 521

Brian,

I have emailed the club regarding this year's arrangement's but with no response.  This is not unexpected because previous emails regarding renewing my membership also went unanswered.  As you say, it's all done by volunteers but that's not really an excuse for no response whatsoever.  (Been there, done that.)

Your suggestion is actually very good.  If the attendees assembled outside at a pre-arranged time and entered as a group, we could virtually determine our own spot and all park together.

Who thinks that they might be coming along?

Les

Sent: Friday, November 09, 2007 6:29 PM
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Day of the Volkswagen

Hi Les,

I was away with the Volkswagen Club at Merimbula for the cup weekend, and mentioned about DotVW and the Syncro group wanting to be together.  The suggestion was to speak to Dean Holden (Vice President) but it may be difficult to set aside an area, as there are already about 20 major groups to be marshalled (by volunteers, of course). The best way might be to meet somewhere nearby (preferably fairly early) and all arrive at the same time in a coherent group. I understand they are at least trying to group T1’s, T2’s and watercooled Kombi’s separately.

On the way to Merimbula (from up North) I stayed overnight at Shallow Crossing, site of our January adventures.  It was not the usual peaceful location as there were roadworks going on to seal the approaches to the crossing (apparently to lessen contamination of the waterways).  I did take the T5 up to Mogood’s lookout (on our day 1 trek), although it was no challenge really as that road (the actual climb to the lookout) had also been regraded recently (not sealed).

BRIAN REED

FAIRFIELD NATURAL THERAPIES

185 Wingrove St

Fairfield, Vic. 3078

03 9481 5673   0407 319 521

Hi Gary,

On 09.11.2007, at 04:40, Gary Cookson wrote:

>> Hi Les
>>
>> I’ve talked to a couple of tyre shops and neither of them have the
>> BF Goodrich All Terrains and claim they are no longer available.
>> The only tyres I can get with an all terrain pattern in 14inch is
>> 185x14 Dunlop Adventurer. These through Bob Jane Tmart.

... while Les wrote:

>> Gary,
>>
>> The BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A is an excellent tyre and the
>> 27X8.5X14 is a perfect fit. I have used them in a variety of
>> conditions and find them very good, even on dry bitumen. They
>> also have a feature which very few tyres have. They have a bead
>> protector moulded into the tyre wall, a great tyre saver in rough
>> going. And if you want something that looks like it belongs to
>> the Syncro, these certainly do.
>>
>> Les

Two things: We have people stating, that BFG tyres wear out quicker
than others and tend to become noisy because of that - haven't tried
it myself, they are too expensive to just try :)) Most people want
BFG, because the syncro just looks so sexy with the white markers in
the tyre walls. Good alternatives for have prooven to be Yokohama
Gelolandar (slightly cheaper, white markings, too!! :)) and Cooper
Discoverer.

Though, and now the second point i'm trying to make: Nobody here is
buying SO small tyres for his 14" :)) The problem is maybe not really
the size, the problem is the 14". Almost no choice, you have to take
what you can get. Why all the hassle? Ok, you probably have your
reasons, which i didn't read as i just joined the list 5hours ago :)
Anyway, mabe you can find alternaive companies, BFG is nice, but not
necessarily the one and only...

Ciao,

Martin, happy on a 14" with 215/80R15 on 7x15 ET25 steel by Mercedes
Benz :D

--
Martin Henning, DM5OY
martin@easy2design.de
http://log.tigerbus.de
I have been running a comparison between 215/75/15 and 27/8.5/14 and will
report in due course, both BGF All Terrains. I have a bit of professional
experience in testing vehicles at up to around 250 KPH on a variety of
terrains. My experience of the BFG All Terrains over a variety of road and
weather conditions is that they are sturdy, reliable, predictable and with a
very acceptable wear rate when used on the T3 Syncro. I will add to this as
the test progresses.

Les

To: <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Friday, November 09, 2007 7:31 PM

> Hi Gary,
>
> On 09.11.2007, at 04:40, Gary Cookson wrote:
>
>>> Hi Les
>>>
>>> I’ve talked to a couple of tyre shops and neither of them have the
>>> BF Goodrich All Terrains and claim they are no longer available.
>>> The only tyres I can get with an all terrain pattern in 14inch is
>>> 185x14 Dunlop Adventurer. These through Bob Jane Tmart.
>
> ... while Les wrote:
>
>>> Gary,
>>>
>>> The BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A is an excellent tyre and the
>>> 27X8.5X14 is a perfect fit. I have used them in a variety of
>>> conditions and find them very good, even on dry bitumen. They
>>> also have a feature which very few tyres have. They have a bead
>>> protector moulded into the tyre wall, a great tyre saver in rough
>>> going. And if you want something that looks like it belongs to
>>> the Syncro, these certainly do.
>>>
>>> Les
>
> Two things: We have people stating, that BFG tyres wear out quicker
> than others and tend to become noisy because of that - haven't tried
> it myself, they are too expensive to just try :)) Most people want
> BFG, because the syncro just looks so sexy with the white markers in
> the tyre walls. Good alternatives for have prooven to be Yokohama
> Gelolandar (slightly cheaper, white markings, too!! :)) and Cooper
> Discoverer.
>
> Though, and now the second point i'm trying to make: Nobody here is
> buying SO small tyres for his 14" :)) The problem is maybe not really
> the size, the problem is the 14". Almost no choice, you have to take
> what you can get. Why all the hassle? Ok, you probably have your
> reasons, which i didn't read as i just joined the list 5hours ago :)
> Anyway, mabe you can find alternaive companies, BFG is nice, but not
> necessarily the one and only...
>
> Ciao,
>
> Martin, happy on a 14" with 215/80R15 on 7x15 ET25 steel by Mercedes
> Benz :D
>
> --
> Martin Henning, DM5OY
> martin@easy2design.de
> http://log.tigerbus.de
>
>
>
>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>
>
>
Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Day of the Volkswagen
I’m coming to DOVW if I can get some new tyres that is!

Gary

Brian,

I have emailed the club regarding this year's arrangement's but with no response.  This is not unexpected because previous emails regarding renewing my membership also went unanswered.  As you say, it's all done by volunteers but that's not really an excuse for no response whatsoever.  (Been there, done that.)

Your suggestion is actually very good.  If the attendees assembled outside at a pre-arranged time and entered as a group, we could virtually determine our own spot and all park together.

Les

Sent: Friday, November 09, 2007 6:29  PM

Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Day of the  Volkswagen

Hi  Les,

I was away with the  Volkswagen Club at Merimbula for the cup weekend, and mentioned about DotVW  and the Syncro group wanting to be together.  The suggestion was to speak  to Dean Holden (Vice President) but it may be difficult to set aside an area,  as there are already about 20 major groups to be marshalled (by volunteers, of  course). The best way might be to meet somewhere nearby (preferably fairly  early) and all arrive at the same time in a coherent group. I understand they  are at least trying to group T1’s, T2’s and watercooled Kombi’s separately.  

On the way to  Merimbula (from up North) I stayed overnight at Shallow Crossing, site of our  January adventures.  It was not the usual peaceful location as there were  roadworks going on to seal the approaches to the crossing (apparently to  lessen contamination of the waterways).  I did take the T5 up to Mogood’s  lookout (on our day 1 trek), although it was no challenge really as that road  (the actual climb to the lookout) had also been regraded recently (not  sealed).

BRIAN  REED

FAIRFIELD NATURAL  THERAPIES

185 Wingrove  St

Fairfield, Vic.  3078

03 9481  5673   0407 319 521

Hang in there Gary until I call someone in the morning. 

If the worst comes to the absolute worst, I will get someone to collect you and take you there.

Les

Sent: Friday, November 09, 2007 8:03 PM
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Day of the Volkswagen

Gary

Brian,

I have emailed the club regarding this year's arrangement' s but with no response.  This is not unexpected because previous emails regarding renewing my membership also went unanswered.  As you say, it's all done by volunteers but that's not really an excuse for no response whatsoever.  (Been there, done that.)

Your suggestion is actually very good.  If the attendees assembled outside at a pre-arranged time and entered as a group, we could virtually determine our own spot and all park together.

Les

To: Syncro_T3_Australia @yahoogroups. com  

Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australi a] Day of the  Volkswagen

Hi  Les,

I was away with the  Volkswagen Club at Merimbula for the cup weekend, and mentioned about DotVW  and the Syncro group wanting to be together.  The suggestion was to speak  to Dean Holden (Vice President) but it may be difficult to set aside an area,  as there are already about 20 major groups to be marshalled (by volunteers, of  course). The best way might be to meet somewhere nearby (preferably fairly  early) and all arrive at the same time in a coherent group. I understand they  are at least trying to group T1’s, T2’s and watercooled Kombi’s separately.  

On the way to  Merimbula (from up North) I stayed overnight at Shallow Crossing, site of our  January adventures.  It was not the usual peaceful location as there were  roadworks going on to seal the approaches to the crossing (apparently to  lessen contamination of the waterways).  I did take the T5 up to Mogood’s  lookout (on our day 1 trek), although it was no challenge really as that road  (the actual climb to the lookout) had also been regraded recently (not  sealed).

BRIAN  REED

185 Wingrove  St

Fairfield, Vic.  3078

I have heard bad reports about the Dunlops.
I don't think that the BFGs have the correct load index but am not sure.
Try Yokohama and contact the companies direct as the retailers make a lot of things up to sell what they have in stock.
Phill

> Gary Cookson <gary@twentytwentyone.net> wrote:
>
> > Hi Les
> >
> > I�ve talked to a couple of tyre shops and neither of them have the BF
> Goodrich
> > All Terrains and claim they are no longer available. The only tyres I
> can get
> > with an all terrain pattern in 14inch is 185x14 Dunlop Adventurer.
> These
> > through Bob Jane Tmart.
> >
> > Anyone else solved this recently and have any suggestions?
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Gary
> >
> >
> >
> > Gary,
> >
> > The BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A is an excellent tyre and the 27X8.5X14
> is a
> > perfect fit. I have used them in a variety of conditions and find
> them very
> > good, even on dry bitumen. They also have a feature which very few
> tyres
> > have. They have a bead protector moulded into the tyre wall, a great
> tyre
> > saver in rough going. And if you want something that looks like it
> belongs to
> > the Syncro, these certainly do.
> >
> > Les
> >
> >>
> >> ----- Original Message -----
> >>
> >> From: Gary Cookson <mailto:gary@twentytwentyone.net>
> >>
> >> To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> >>
> >> Sent: Monday, November 05, 2007 2:03 PM
> >>
> >> Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Relacement tyres for 14" rims
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> Hi all
> >>
> >> I�m about to replace my terrible tyre collection and was looking for
> >> suggestions for brands and sizes of tyres for my standard 14� Syncro
> rims.
> >>
> >> I�d like an all-terrain style of tread pattern rather than road
> tyres.
> >>
> >> Cheers
> >>
> >> Gary Cookson
> >
> >
Dear Gary/Les,
I'm just back from China and that offer for loan of common 14"wheels/tyres still stands particularly if it will get you to the DOVW. I also have some  off road tyre information to pass on plus you may like to try out the 16" Hankook tyres that have beeen on my van for the past 40,000Kms.Ring me on 0422 024 197
"She who must be obeyed" is providing some logical and reasonable arguments on why we should be away in our van at the time of the DOVW so unfortunately it looks like I won't be making it as my intellectual response with temper tantrums, sulking and throwing myself on the ground still don't seem to persuade her. I also need to build up credits as I'm just back from 7 weeks away and have set my sights on the Cape York Sunday afternoon drive and crocodile wrestling planned for next May.
Cheers
Roger

Gary Cookson <gary@twentytwentyone.net> wrote:

Gary

Brian,

I have emailed the club regarding this year's arrangement' s but with no response.  This is not unexpected because previous emails regarding renewing my membership also went unanswered.  As you say, it's all done by volunteers but that's not really an excuse for no response whatsoever.  (Been there, done that.)

Les

To: Syncro_T3_Australia @yahoogroups. com  

Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australi a] Day of the  Volkswagen

Hi  Les,

BRIAN  REED

185 Wingrove  St

Fairfield, Vic.  3078

National Bingo Night. Play along for the chance to win $10,000 every week. Download your gamecard now at Yahoo!7 TV.

> Les Harris <leslieharris@optushome.com.au> wrote:
>
> I have been running a comparison between 215/75/15 and 27/8.5/14 and
> will
> report in due course, both BGF All Terrains. I have a bit of
> professional
> experience in testing vehicles at up to around 250 KPH on a variety of
> terrains.

Be careful Les as I don't think the BFGs are rated at 250 KPH. :)

or the syncro.
Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Day of the Volkswagen
Hi Roger

I saw your van the other day and noticed the monster wheels! I’ll give you a call to discuss...

Cheers

Gary

Dear Gary/Les,

I'm just back from China and that offer for loan of common 14"wheels/tyres still stands particularly if it will get you to the DOVW. I also have some  off road tyre information to pass on plus you may like to try out the 16" Hankook tyres that have beeen on my van for the past 40,000Kms.Ring me on 0422 024 197

"She who must be obeyed" is providing some logical and reasonable arguments on why we should be away in our van at the time of the DOVW so unfortunately it looks like I won't be making it as my intellectual response with temper tantrums, sulking and throwing myself on the ground still don't seem to persuade her. I also need to build up credits as I'm just back from 7 weeks away and have set my sights on the Cape York Sunday afternoon drive and crocodile wrestling planned for next May.

Cheers

Roger

Gary Cookson <gary@twentytwentyone.net> wrote:

Gary

Brian,

I have emailed the club regarding this year's arrangement's but with no response.  This is not unexpected because previous emails regarding renewing my membership also went unanswered.  As you say, it's all done by volunteers but that's not really an excuse for no response whatsoever.  (Been there, done that.)

Les

Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Day of the  Volkswagen

Hi  Les,

BRIAN  REED

185 Wingrove  St

Fairfield, Vic.  3078

National Bingo Night. Play along for the chance to win $10,000 every week. Download your gamecard now at Yahoo!7 TV <http://au.rd.yahoo.com/mail/taglines/default_all/bingo/*http://au.blogs.yahoo.com/national-bingo-night/> .

Phill,

The tyre ratings are only part of the problem.  As the Syncro reaches the 200 KPH mark, the coefficient of drag begins to become significant.  Since it has a drag about equal to a supertanker, the power requirement goes up exponentially.  It needs 500 + BPH to get to the 200 mark, then shoots up significantly.  As the engine RPM goes above 12,000 and the BHP requirement gets towards the 750 mark, the big problem becomes fuel consumption.  At 500 BHP, it is using a litre per second.  Above that it rises sharply and the 80 litre tank is empty in no time.    What stops me getting to the full 250 KPH is the 1000 litre tanker trailer.  That is chewing up about 250 BHP on its own, so I am going to have to find more power somewhere. 

Les

Sent: Friday, November 09, 2007 9:54 PM
Subject: Re: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Relacement tyres for 14" rims

> Les Harris <leslieharris@ optushome. com.au> wrote:
>
> I have been running a comparison between 215/75/15 and 27/8.5/14 and
> will
> report in due course, both BGF All Terrains. I have a bit of
> professional
> experience in testing vehicles at up to around 250 KPH on a variety of
> terrains.

Be careful Les as I don't think the BFGs are rated at 250 KPH. :)

or the syncro.

:-)

ROTFL.

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "Les Harris" <leslieharris@...> wrote:
>
> Phill,
>
> The tyre ratings are only part of the problem. As the Syncro reaches the 200 KPH mark,
the coefficient of drag begins to become significant. Since it has a drag about equal to a
supertanker, the power requirement goes up exponentially. It needs 500 + BPH to get to
the 200 mark, then shoots up significantly. As the engine RPM goes above 12,000 and the
BHP requirement gets towards the 750 mark, the big problem becomes fuel consumption.
At 500 BHP, it is using a litre per second. Above that it rises sharply and the 80 litre tank
is empty in no time. What stops me getting to the full 250 KPH is the 1000 litre tanker
trailer. That is chewing up about 250 BHP on its own, so I am going to have to find more
power somewhere.
>
> Les
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: plander@...
> To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> Sent: Friday, November 09, 2007 9:54 PM
> Subject: Re: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Relacement tyres for 14" rims
>
>
>
>
> > Les Harris <leslieharris@...> wrote:
> >
> > I have been running a comparison between 215/75/15 and 27/8.5/14 and
> > will
> > report in due course, both BGF All Terrains. I have a bit of
> > professional
> > experience in testing vehicles at up to around 250 KPH on a variety of
> > terrains.
>
> Be careful Les as I don't think the BFGs are rated at 250 KPH. :)
>
> or the syncro.
>
OK, I'll bite.  What is ROTFL?

Les

Sent: Saturday, November 10, 2007 9:48 AM

:-)

ROTFL.