At Tyres

Hello all.Just thought I would tell you somthing that you might find amusing,(or think that I am a dill),I hope not the latter.

I have been in the market for some new tyres.I have Audi 16x7 rims,(A4 or A6 I think).The off-set is 45.When I bought my bus it had Silverstone 225/60/16 tyres on-board.Great tyre,handled like a sports car on road,embaressed many off-road.The overall diameter of these tyres were 676.40mm.I also have a steel spare wheel with the same diameter,underneath.No problems there.

The problem started when I started looking for a suitable A/T Tyre.BF's seemed the go.After contacting Phill,I knew that 215/75/15,with a diameter of 685,and a off-set of 24,would give some clearance problems on full lock.I doubted that a BF would be any good at all on a 16 inch rim(215/70/16 tyre).The diamter is 709mm or something like that.I would of lost 5% in speed.As you people have properly already gathered,I didnt have 5% to give away,not to mention any tyre scrubbing.I looked into other options.

There is not many options for people with T25s with 16 inch rims,(on 14 inch Syncros).If you want to keep loaded diameter as close to stock,without losing to much power.About the only tyre I found was the Yokohama G12 Geolander 215/65/16.It has a load rating of 98,and a loaded diameter of 686mm.I would lose 1% of power from my 225/60/16 road tyres.(I know I lose more when you factor in the weight of the tyre).After I saw some,I ordered five.

When I got a call from the tyre shop to come collect my car,he also had some rather embarressing news.'Ya spare steelie must be a 15',he said'We cant pump it up'.My spare, it turns out, is a 15 inch wheel,with a roadie, with the diameter of 676.Alright with my old tyres but obvisbly not now!Right now, not a great issue as I drive round town with the tailshaft dropped,(buying a decoupler,after Christmas).But when I go away camping at Christmas,where after I reach my destination Hat Head,I put the tailshaft back in.A big problem if I get a flat.

I now need to find a Mercedes 16x7 steelie,so I can have a set of five A/T tyres,then, after learning what I have from our forum,I will then have to modify my spare wheel carrier to fit it!

Amused?,I certainly am.Ive owned this bus long enough to know that nothing comes easy for us T25ers.Anyway,I'll get there in the end.
Ben,

Who needs a 5th wheel?

I drove around for 10 years with no spare - well actually I had a spare but it wouldn't fit in the stock spare location so it stayed at home with instructions to my parents of how to get it to me if required. I even met another syncro owner in Boomerang Beach camp ground (on one of my trips) that did the same.

I went on Moreton Island without a spare and my old Hankook front drivers side was holed mildly in the side wall. I had no puncture repair kit but I did have a compressor. Just kept pumping it up then finally got off the island and drove to the nearest tyre place (they don't close much - even over Christmas - just the public holidays).

So unless you get a major failure you will be able to limp to help with a tyre repair kit and a compressor.

Just go and enjoy your Hat Head Christmas holiday - I should be just down the coast @ Crescent Head and Hart's not far away either if you need a hand.

Cheers,

Scott

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 10:12 PM
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] At Tyres

Hello all.Just thought I would tell you somthing that you might find amusing,(or think that I am a dill),I hope not the latter.

I have been in the market for some new tyres.I have Audi 16x7 rims,(A4 or A6 I think).The off-set is 45.When I bought my bus it had Silverstone 225/60/16 tyres on-board.Great tyre,handled like a sports car on road,embaressed many off-road.The overall diameter of these tyres were 676.40mm.I also have a steel spare wheel with the same diameter,underneath .No problems there.

The problem started when I started looking for a suitable A/T Tyre.BF's seemed the go.After contacting Phill,I knew that 215/75/15,with a diameter of 685,and a off-set of 24,would give some clearance problems on full lock.I doubted that a BF would be any good at all on a 16 inch rim(215/70/16 tyre).The diamter is 709mm or something like that.I would of lost 5% in speed.As you people have properly already gathered,I didnt have 5% to give away,not to mention any tyre scrubbing.I looked into other options.

There is not many options for people with T25s with 16 inch rims,(on 14 inch Syncros).If you want to keep loaded diameter as close to stock,without losing to much power.About the only tyre I found was the Yokohama G12 Geolander 215/65/16.It has a load rating of 98,and a loaded diameter of 686mm.I would lose 1% of power from my 225/60/16 road tyres.(I know I lose more when you factor in the weight of the tyre).After I saw some,I ordered five.

When I got a call from the tyre shop to come collect my car,he also had some rather embarressing news.'Ya spare steelie must be a 15',he said'We cant pump it up'.My spare, it turns out, is a 15 inch wheel,with a roadie, with the diameter of 676.Alright with my old tyres but obvisbly not now!Right now, not a great issue as I drive round town with the tailshaft dropped,(buying a decoupler,after Christmas).But when I go away camping at Christmas,where after I reach my destination Hat Head,I put the tailshaft back in.A big problem if I get a flat.

I now need to find a Mercedes 16x7 steelie,so I can have a set of five A/T tyres,then, after learning what I have from our forum,I will then have to modify my spare wheel carrier to fit it!

Amused?,I certainly am.Ive owned this bus long enough to know that nothing comes easy for us T25ers.Anyway, I'll get there in the end.

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 8.5.425 / Virus Database: 270.14.58/2493 - Release Date: 11/09/09 19:40:00
Good news Scott,should look each other up at Christmas.Will you have your bus?

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "Mr Scott Pitcher" <spbconsulting@...> wrote:
>
> Ben,
>
> Who needs a 5th wheel?
>
> I drove around for 10 years with no spare - well actually I had a spare but it wouldn't fit in the stock spare location so it stayed at home with instructions to my parents of how to get it to me if required. I even met another syncro owner in Boomerang Beach camp ground (on one of my trips) that did the same.
>
> I went on Moreton Island without a spare and my old Hankook front drivers side was holed mildly in the side wall. I had no puncture repair kit but I did have a compressor. Just kept pumping it up then finally got off the island and drove to the nearest tyre place (they don't close much - even over Christmas - just the public holidays).
>
> So unless you get a major failure you will be able to limp to help with a tyre repair kit and a compressor.
>
> Just go and enjoy your Hat Head Christmas holiday - I should be just down the coast @ Crescent Head and Hart's not far away either if you need a hand.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Scott
>
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: bencroft96
> To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> Sent: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 10:12 PM
> Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] At Tyres
>
>
>
> Hello all.Just thought I would tell you somthing that you might find amusing,(or think that I am a dill),I hope not the latter.
>
> I have been in the market for some new tyres.I have Audi 16x7 rims,(A4 or A6 I think).The off-set is 45.When I bought my bus it had Silverstone 225/60/16 tyres on-board.Great tyre,handled like a sports car on road,embaressed many off-road.The overall diameter of these tyres were 676.40mm.I also have a steel spare wheel with the same diameter,underneath.No problems there.
>
> The problem started when I started looking for a suitable A/T Tyre.BF's seemed the go.After contacting Phill,I knew that 215/75/15,with a diameter of 685,and a off-set of 24,would give some clearance problems on full lock.I doubted that a BF would be any good at all on a 16 inch rim(215/70/16 tyre).The diamter is 709mm or something like that.I would of lost 5% in speed.As you people have properly already gathered,I didnt have 5% to give away,not to mention any tyre scrubbing.I looked into other options.
>
> There is not many options for people with T25s with 16 inch rims,(on 14 inch Syncros).If you want to keep loaded diameter as close to stock,without losing to much power.About the only tyre I found was the Yokohama G12 Geolander 215/65/16.It has a load rating of 98,and a loaded diameter of 686mm.I would lose 1% of power from my 225/60/16 road tyres.(I know I lose more when you factor in the weight of the tyre).After I saw some,I ordered five.
>
> When I got a call from the tyre shop to come collect my car,he also had some rather embarressing news.'Ya spare steelie must be a 15',he said'We cant pump it up'.My spare, it turns out, is a 15 inch wheel,with a roadie, with the diameter of 676.Alright with my old tyres but obvisbly not now!Right now, not a great issue as I drive round town with the tailshaft dropped,(buying a decoupler,after Christmas).But when I go away camping at Christmas,where after I reach my destination Hat Head,I put the tailshaft back in.A big problem if I get a flat.
>
> I now need to find a Mercedes 16x7 steelie,so I can have a set of five A/T tyres,then, after learning what I have from our forum,I will then have to modify my spare wheel carrier to fit it!
>
> Amused?,I certainly am.Ive owned this bus long enough to know that nothing comes easy for us T25ers.Anyway,I'll get there in the end.
>
>
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>
>
> No virus found in this incoming message.
> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
> Version: 8.5.425 / Virus Database: 270.14.58/2493 - Release Date: 11/09/09 19:40:00
>
Yes

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 10:55 PM
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: At Tyres

Good news Scott,should look each other up at Christmas.Will you have your bus?

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia @yahoogroups. com, "Mr Scott Pitcher" <spbconsulting@ ...> wrote:
>
> Ben,
>
> Who needs a 5th wheel?
>
> I drove around for 10 years with no spare - well actually I had a spare but it wouldn't fit in the stock spare location so it stayed at home with instructions to my parents of how to get it to me if required. I even met another syncro owner in Boomerang Beach camp ground (on one of my trips) that did the same.
>
> I went on Moreton Island without a spare and my old Hankook front drivers side was holed mildly in the side wall. I had no puncture repair kit but I did have a compressor. Just kept pumping it up then finally got off the island and drove to the nearest tyre place (they don't close much - even over Christmas - just the public holidays).
>
> So unless you get a major failure you will be able to limp to help with a tyre repair kit and a compressor.
>
> Just go and enjoy your Hat Head Christmas holiday - I should be just down the coast @ Crescent Head and Hart's not far away either if you need a hand.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Scott
>
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: bencroft96
> To: Syncro_T3_Australia @yahoogroups. com
> Sent: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 10:12 PM
> Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australi a] At Tyres
>
>
>
> Hello all.Just thought I would tell you somthing that you might find amusing,(or think that I am a dill),I hope not the latter.
>
> I have been in the market for some new tyres.I have Audi 16x7 rims,(A4 or A6 I think).The off-set is 45.When I bought my bus it had Silverstone 225/60/16 tyres on-board.Great tyre,handled like a sports car on road,embaressed many off-road.The overall diameter of these tyres were 676.40mm.I also have a steel spare wheel with the same diameter,underneath .No problems there.
>
> The problem started when I started looking for a suitable A/T Tyre.BF's seemed the go.After contacting Phill,I knew that 215/75/15,with a diameter of 685,and a off-set of 24,would give some clearance problems on full lock.I doubted that a BF would be any good at all on a 16 inch rim(215/70/16 tyre).The diamter is 709mm or something like that.I would of lost 5% in speed.As you people have properly already gathered,I didnt have 5% to give away,not to mention any tyre scrubbing.I looked into other options.
>
> There is not many options for people with T25s with 16 inch rims,(on 14 inch Syncros).If you want to keep loaded diameter as close to stock,without losing to much power.About the only tyre I found was the Yokohama G12 Geolander 215/65/16.It has a load rating of 98,and a loaded diameter of 686mm.I would lose 1% of power from my 225/60/16 road tyres.(I know I lose more when you factor in the weight of the tyre).After I saw some,I ordered five.
>
> When I got a call from the tyre shop to come collect my car,he also had some rather embarressing news.'Ya spare steelie must be a 15',he said'We cant pump it up'.My spare, it turns out, is a 15 inch wheel,with a roadie, with the diameter of 676.Alright with my old tyres but obvisbly not now!Right now, not a great issue as I drive round town with the tailshaft dropped,(buying a decoupler,after Christmas).But when I go away camping at Christmas,where after I reach my destination Hat Head,I put the tailshaft back in.A big problem if I get a flat.
>
> I now need to find a Mercedes 16x7 steelie,so I can have a set of five A/T tyres,then, after learning what I have from our forum,I will then have to modify my spare wheel carrier to fit it!
>
> Amused?,I certainly am.Ive owned this bus long enough to know that nothing comes easy for us T25ers.Anyway, I'll get there in the end.
>
>
>
>
>
>
> ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- -
>
>
>
> No virus found in this incoming message.
> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
> Version: 8.5.425 / Virus Database: 270.14.58/2493 - Release Date: 11/09/09 19:40:00
>

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 8.5.425 / Virus Database: 270.14.58/2493 - Release Date: 11/09/09 19:40:00

Ben,

The best solution to an oversize spare is a hinged rear carrier.  See Phill’s website for a good example.

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of bencroft96
Sent: 10 November 2009 22:12
To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] At Tyres