Battery under passenger seat

Am about to put a deep cycle battery under the passenger seat.What
brand fits? Cant be more than 175 high. Went around my local garage
and in the books that he had (only 2 brands) not one would fit.

Thanks Chris.
--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "southervan"
<southervan@y...> wrote:
> Am about to put a deep cycle battery under the passenger seat.What
> brand fits? Cant be more than 175 high. Went around my local garage
> and in the books that he had (only 2 brands) not one would fit.
>
> Thanks Chris.

I have been unable to find a deep cycle that fits. I really doubt
that
such a battery exists. I have a Federal which is the next best thing.

Phill

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~pjlander/volkswagen_syncro.htm
Mine has a Delkor DC27 140mm approx high battery which was in van when got it nearly 2 years ago still going strong. Has corded lifting handles and picture of forklift truck on it so may need to go down that road ie commercial even marine applications. If you allow a bit more time will look out receipts given to me with van but previous owner tended to research well and put in good quality.Probably quite expensive -$200+
Good luck
Roger

hdvwoc <plander@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "southervan"
<southervan@y...> wrote:
> Am about to put a deep cycle battery under the passenger seat.What
> brand fits? Cant be more than 175 high. Went around my local garage
> and in the books that he had (only 2 brands) not one would fit.
>
>               Thanks Chris.

I have been unable to find a deep cycle that fits. I really doubt
that
such a battery exists. I have a Federal which is the next best thing.

Phill

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~pjlander/volkswagen_syncro.htm

Send instant messages to your online friends http://au.messenger.yahoo.com

Do you really, really, really need a deep cycle? So what if your
starting battery which is a quarter of the price only lasts half as
long as a deep cycle?

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, Roger Bell
<bellrmit@y...> wrote:
> Mine has a Delkor DC27 140mm approx high battery which was in van
when got it nearly 2 years ago still going strong. Has corded lifting
handles and picture of forklift truck on it so may need to go down
that road ie commercial even marine applications. If you allow a bit
more time will look out receipts given to me with van but previous
owner tended to research well and put in good quality.Probably quite
expensive -$200+
> Good luck
> Roger
>
> hdvwoc <plander@o...> wrote:
> --- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "southervan"
> <southervan@y...> wrote:
> > Am about to put a deep cycle battery under the passenger
seat.What
> > brand fits? Cant be more than 175 high. Went around my local
garage
> > and in the books that he had (only 2 brands) not one would fit.
> >
> > Thanks Chris.
>
> I have been unable to find a deep cycle that fits. I really doubt
> that
> such a battery exists. I have a Federal which is the next best
thing.
>
> Phill
>
> http://members.ozemail.com.au/~pjlander/volkswagen_syncro.htm
>
>
>
>
>
> ---------------------------------
> YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
>
>
> Visit your group "Syncro_T3_Australia" on the web.
>
> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> Syncro_T3_Australia-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
>
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
Service.
>
>
> ---------------------------------
>
>
>
> Send instant messages to your online friends
http://au.messenger.yahoo.com
For nearly 20 years of T3 campers (self converted), I've just used a standard starting battery as a 'house' battery, and a simple switch to connect/disconnect it from the charging circuit.  At the first sign of the main battery getting a little tired, I get a new main battery, and 'retire' the old one to the house battery. Since I use the van as a 'daily driver' (not really daily, but often enough), both batteries are usually fully charged, so they seem to last quite well.  Mostly my camping is only overnight, or a day or two, so I don't tend to run the house battery down much.  This method may not suit some-one who was planning extended stays without driving the van much, but it has worked well for me over a long time.

Brian Reed
Fairfield Natural Therapies
185 Wingrove St, Fairfield 3078
03 9481 5673
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2005 3:36 PM
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Battery under passenger seat

long as a deep cycle?

Think there is much good sense in what Phil and Brian have to say.I seem to remember someone telling me sometime that a battery is a battery with the only real difference in a deep cycle battery is the plates are farther apart to resist buckling and they have more sulphate on them.
However if you want/need to pursue the Deep cycle route have now looked through my receipts. Seems my van last had the RJ DC27 Battery previously mentioned on 2 May 03 when it cost $160 inc GST. It was preceded by a BM-61218381717(this is all that's on the invoice) on 15 Feb 2000 list price $168.62 purchase for $140. The only other invoice I can find is from a Sth Freemantle Marine,Industrial & Commercial dealer (The syncro came to Vic with me from Perth) for a" M27MF battery" on 18 Oct 95 for $207.40 -if it indeed lasted that long then perhaps it pushes you back to consider a deep cycle. The previous owner impressed on me the importance of a good isolating switch and had fitted a U.S. made Cole Hersee manual battery switch as he reckoned he had indirect experience of the automatic ones
letting someone down.
Hope you are not totally confused but there is also a 30 Oct 95 receipt from a BMW Dealer Auto Classics  for a part number 61-21-8-363-902 Battery list price $226.49 net price $200 on which he has written BMW genuine battery for no 1 battery on van. I think that is the main non deep cycle battery.
Finally there is a 22 April 93 (The van was delivered Dec 92 but went away for camper conversion) receipt from the Supplier of the van - Regent Motors Perth for a part number VW 431915105Z 12v Battery63AH for $239.16. Pencilled on this is "5/4/94 picked up replacement battery under warranty no charge" which seems to contradict my statement above that a high price ensures longivity but does show that a VW or BMW dealer may be a source albeit at high cost.
I'd ponder hard on what Phil and Brian say unless you are going for long period away off the beaten track as around $80 should buy you a reasonably good ordinary battery. I'd also think marine suppliers would be worth investigating
Good luck
Roger
Car
Brian Reed <breed@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
For nearly 20 years of T3 campers (self converted), I've just used a standard starting battery as a 'house' battery, and a simple switch to connect/disconnect it from the charging circuit.  At the first sign of the main battery getting a little tired, I get a new main battery, and 'retire' the old one to the house battery. Since I use the van as a 'daily driver' (not really daily, but often enough), both batteries are usually fully charged, so they seem to last quite well.  Mostly my camping is only overnight, or a day or two, so I don't tend to run the house battery down much.  This method may not suit some-one who was planning extended stays without driving the van much, but it has worked well for me over a long time.

Brian Reed
03 9481 5673

long as a deep cycle?

No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
Version: 7.0.344 / Virus Database: 267.10.15/81 - Release Date: 24-Aug-2005

Send instant messages to your online friends http://au.messenger.yahoo.com

Think there is much good sense in what Phil and Brian have to say.I seem to remember someone telling me sometime that a battery is a battery with the only real difference in a deep cycle battery is the plates are farther apart to resist buckling and they have more sulphate on them.
However if you want/need to pursue the Deep cycle route have now looked through my receipts. Seems my van last had the RJ DC27 Battery previously mentioned on 2 May 03 when it cost $160 inc GST. It was preceded by a BM-61218381717(this is all that's on the invoice) on 15 Feb 2000 list price $168.62 purchase for $140. The only other invoice I can find is from a Sth Freemantle Marine,Industrial & Commercial dealer (The syncro came to Vic with me from Perth) for a" M27MF battery" on 18 Oct 95 for $207.40 -if it indeed lasted that long then perhaps it pushes you back to consider a deep cycle. The previous owner impressed on me the importance of a good isolating switch and had fitted a U.S. made Cole Hersee manual battery switch as he reckoned he had indirect experience of the automatic ones
letting someone down.
Hope you are not totally confused but there is also a 30 Oct 95 receipt from a BMW Dealer Auto Classics  for a part number 61-21-8-363-902 Battery list price $226.49 net price $200 on which he has written BMW genuine battery for no 1 battery on van. I think that is the main non deep cycle battery.
Finally there is a 22 April 93 (The van was delivered Dec 92 but went away for camper conversion) receipt from the Supplier of the van - Regent Motors Perth for a part number VW 431915105Z 12v Battery63AH for $239.16. Pencilled on this is "5/4/94 picked up replacement battery under warranty no charge" which seems to contradict my statement above that a high price ensures longivity but does show that a VW or BMW dealer may be a source albeit at high cost.
I'd ponder hard on what Phil and Brian say unless you are going for long period away off the beaten track as around $80 should buy you a reasonably good ordinary battery. I'd also think marine suppliers would be worth investigating
Good luck
Roger
Carlton Vic.
Brian Reed <breed@bigpond.net.au> wrote:

Brian Reed
03 9481 5673

long as a deep cycle?

No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
Version: 7.0.344 / Virus Database: 267.10.15/81 - Release Date: 24-Aug-2005

Do you Yahoo!?
Messenger 7.0: Make free PC-to-PC calls to your friends overseas. You could win a holiday to see them!
Thanks for all the information.I did manage to find a deep cycle
battery that fits under the front passanger seat but it was only 30
amp hours.Went around super cheap and they had Bosch batterys that
were only 145 high but were not deep cycle.My plan at the moment is to
fit a 200 amp hour battery under the rear bed/seat.Will also be
fitting a solar panel on the roof.Over the years batterys have
changed,there are gell,AGM (absorbed glass mat) as well as the lead
acid. There is some good reading on this site
www.solarpanelxpress.com.au
Have been talking to people at camping shows and went to the last farm
fantastic near me ,it is pretty confusing but Im working it all out
now. Thanks for your help. ........Chris.