Big Brakes

Hello all,I fitted my big brakes today.
Happy to report all went well and there is a noticable difference.
When braking lightly there is not much difference but,at speed if I jump on them there is much improvement.
I have put some photos in my album comparing the old and the new.
BenC
Nice lookin brakes Ben.

Are these a straight up bolt in fit or is there some other modification required?

Where did you get them from?

Sorry for all the questions.

Cheers,

Skot

On 4/07/2011 9:22 PM, Ben wrote:

Hello all,I fitted my big brakes today.
Happy to report all went well and there is a noticable difference.
When braking lightly there is not much difference but,at speed if I jump on them there is much improvement.
I have put some photos in my album comparing the old and the new.
BenC

Skot,they are direct bolt on.There is a spacer plate.I did have two new short steel brake pipes made,although probably not needed.
It is amazing how these calipers and rotors have the same bolt holes and stud pattern.
I am looking into braided lines.Does anyone know where I can get them made,and if they are legal.
I got them from smallcar in the States,now I have all the part numbers I am sure that you could source it all locally.The spacer isnt hard to make.
See you soon Skot,trying to get to Old bar this year.
BenC

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, Scott Pitcher <spbconsulting@...> wrote:
>
> Nice lookin brakes Ben.
>
> Are these a straight up bolt in fit or is there some other modification
> required?
>
> Where did you get them from?
>
> Sorry for all the questions.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Skot
>
>
> On 4/07/2011 9:22 PM, Ben wrote:
> >
> >
> > Hello all,I fitted my big brakes today.
> > Happy to report all went well and there is a noticable difference.
> > When braking lightly there is not much difference but,at speed if I
> > jump on them there is much improvement.
> > I have put some photos in my album comparing the old and the new.
> > BenC
> >
> >
>
> I am looking into braided lines.Does anyone know where I can get them
> made,and if they are legal.

Just Kampers?

I don't think that they are legal. (Not 100% sure)
Hey Ben, I have been eyeing these off on flee bay for a while.
They look to be well made and are not expensive. As far as legality goes in vic they where illegal, but i think they made a change and there was some thing about manufatures markings and grade markings being visable. In any case you should be able to check NSW roadworthy regs on line. Greg E

From: "plander@optusnet.com.au" <plander@optusnet.com.au>
To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, 5 July 2011 8:46 AM
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Big Brakes

> I am looking into braided lines.Does anyone know where I can get them
> made,and if they are legal.

Just Kampers?

I don't think that they are legal. (Not 100% sure)

Great stuff Ben.

Don't that Pirtek mob make hoses?? I have never looked into it but they seem to parade around the V8 super-car scene so maybe?

On 5/07/2011 8:39 AM, Ben wrote:

Skot,they are direct bolt on.There is a spacer plate.I did have two new short steel brake pipes made,although probably not needed.
It is amazing how these calipers and rotors have the same bolt holes and stud pattern.
I am looking into braided lines.Does anyone know where I can get them made,and if they are legal.
I got them from smallcar in the States,now I have all the part numbers I am sure that you could source it all locally.The spacer isnt hard to make.
See you soon Skot,trying to get to Old bar this year.
BenC

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, Scott Pitcher <spbconsulting@...> wrote:
>
> Nice lookin brakes Ben.
>
> Are these a straight up bolt in fit or is there some other modification
> required?
>
> Where did you get them from?
>
> Sorry for all the questions.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Skot
>
>
> On 4/07/2011 9:22 PM, Ben wrote:
> >
> >
> > When braking lightly there is not much difference but,at speed if I
> > jump on them there is much improvement.
> > BenC
> >
> >
>

I bought a full set of braided brake hoses from VanCafe last December, but haven't got round to fitting them yet. They cost Au$125 but might be cheaper now with the soaring dollar.

I thought they might cure the spongy pedal syndrome, which still haunts me even after fitting new master and wheel cylinders, adjusting the rear brake shoes, replacing the fluid and bleeding it thoroughly.

Have to wait and see.

I picked up a new set of Mintex rear linings and a rear shoe fitting kit from JustKampers as well.

The next project is to strip down the front end, check the suspension, steering linkages, wheel bearings, CV's, ball joints and bushes, and fit a set of Big Brakes.

That will mean that the old girl has had a complete rebuild from one end to the other over the last ten years.

Then it will be time to start all over again, just like painting the Harbour Bridge.

A regular preventative maintenance schedule is the only way to keep these old trucks reliable, and if you're going to the trouble of removing one item for repair, you might as well recondition all the nearby bits at the same time.

Saves good parts from being flogged out by their sloppy neighbours, and means you only have to pull it all part once every ten or twenty years.

Much better than being stranded somewhere and trying to organise an air drop to the back of beyond.

Touch wood.
                               Roger Beetle.

Thanks Phill,Greg,Skot and Roger.
Hey Ben,

I don't know the specific legalities etc, but a few years ago I needed some brake lines for my 76 celica project. I went to a shop in the complex just behind the hungry jacks at Seven Hills NSW, I forget it's name but wouldn't be hard to spot it if it's still there. Anyway, they specifically asked me - do you need these braided brake lines to be street legal? I said yes I do, and they charged me just a little more for them. I still thought it was a pretty good price though for getting custom made shiny brake lines. I'm not sure what they did differently that made them street legal.

Hope that helps, Sam

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, greg esposito <gregespo73@...> wrote:
>
> Hey Ben, I have been eyeing these off on flee bay for a while.
> http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270678299288&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
> They look to be well made and are not expensive. As far as legality goes in vic they where illegal, but i think they made a change and there was some thing about manufatures markings and grade markings being visable. In any case you should be able to check NSW roadworthy regs on line. Greg E
>
> From: "plander@..." <plander@...>
> To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> Sent: Tuesday, 5 July 2011 8:46 AM
> Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Big Brakes
>
>
> Â
>
>
>
> > I am looking into braided lines.Does anyone know where I can get them
> > made,and if they are legal.
>
> Just Kampers?
>
> I don't think that they are legal. (Not 100% sure)
>
Hi Ben, looks like you've done the research & got a great result. Ive got a similar set up but bought it complete from van cafe. Recently replaced the rotors & found some merc units that fit with minor alterations (enlarge stud holes).Do you happen to know the model of the donor audi that you got the bits from , and did you have to modify anything to make them fit? Would like to know if all the bits are readily available in Aus. Cheers , Eddie.

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "Ben" <bencroft96@...> wrote:
>
> Hello all,I fitted my big brakes today.
> Happy to report all went well and there is a noticable difference.
> When braking lightly there is not much difference but,at speed if I jump on them there is much improvement.
> I have put some photos in my album comparing the old and the new.
> BenC
>
Gday Eddie,I bought the brake kit from Smallcar in the States.
The calipers are Girling.They were brand new.
There is no modifaction that I needed to do to fit these calipers.The calipers and bracket didnt look like they had been machined in anyway,like it is said here.
http://vanagonsyncroproject-herman.blogspot.com/
My calipers look slightly different to Hermans.Hermans are from an Audi 5000.
There is a 8mm spacer used as well as new bolts and nuts.
From my early research,the calipers used were off Audi 100 or 200.I cannot tell you what they are off exactly, but I can tell you what the pads suit.
The brake pads suit: Audi 80 93-95 Quattro,Audi A6 94-98,Quattro 93-95 2.2,S4 93-95 sedan and Audi 200 87-91 Quattro Turbo.
I had two new short brake pipes made,although you could use the originals(bodgey).
The rotors are Zimmerman and are from a 96-05 Passat.There was no visual signs of modifaction on these either.
When I first looked into this I was looking to buy locally,but thought it was going to be much easier just buying a kit that bolts up.
I hope this helps.
BenC

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "eddie" <bergodaz@...> wrote:
>
> Hi Ben, looks like you've done the research & got a great result. Ive got a similar set up but bought it complete from van cafe. Recently replaced the rotors & found some merc units that fit with minor alterations (enlarge stud holes).Do you happen to know the model of the donor audi that you got the bits from , and did you have to modify anything to make them fit? Would like to know if all the bits are readily available in Aus. Cheers , Eddie.
>
> --- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "Ben" <bencroft96@> wrote:
> >
> > When braking lightly there is not much difference but,at speed if I jump on them there is much improvement.
> > BenC
> >
>
G'day Ben,
I'm thinking of fitting big brakes, and the dual-piston smallcar kit looks like the go. Now that you've had them for a while, are you still happy with them?
Did you find a set of legal braided hoses to suit?
Are replacement pads readily available in Oz?
Cheers, Roger Beetle

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "Ben" <bencroft96@...> wrote:
>
> Hello all,I fitted my big brakes today.
> Happy to report all went well and there is a noticable difference.
> When braking lightly there is not much difference but,at speed if I jump on them there is much improvement.
> I have put some photos in my album comparing the old and the new.
> BenC
>