- Bull Bars Under Threat

Not having an engine up front thought some might be interested to read and perhaps contribute.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 25 January 2011 13:46
Subject: Bull Bars Under Threat
To: Michael Rayner <mallaner@gmail.com>

If you are unable to view this email correctly, please visit http://mailer.volume.net.au/display.php?M=298056&C=f796066da862579acaa9a7d49f08fd3b&S=1637&L=2&N=763
ARB 4x4
Accessories
Header
BULL BARS UNDER THREAT ARB, in conjunction with the Australian 4WD Industry Council has launched a national on-line public survey to collect information from the public about their use of bull bars and nudge bars.

The safety of Australian motorists that drive vehicles fitted with bull bars and nudge bars is threatened by proposed new Federal Government regulations, which are based on rules developed for the European environment and road conditions by the United Nations Economic Cooperation for Europe (UNECE).

The 4WD Industry Council wants up-to-date information about bull and nudge bars - also known as "vehicle front protection systems" (VFPS) - for its consultations with the Department of Infrastructure, Transport and Regional Development in Canberra about the proposed regulation. This regulation focuses on pedestrian safety - not vehicle and occupant safety.

The Department has now released a Regulation Impact Statement for Pedestrian Safety Standards for public consultation, which closes on 15 April 2011. This document includes extensive discussion on "VFPS" and contains options for the regulation of bull bars.

By completing the 4WD Industry Council's survey, participants will help meet the need for current accurate data on the use of bull and nudge bars. The Council hopes to learn more about vehicle types, driving patterns and critical safety issues, such as animal strikes and other impacts.

Adoption of this overseas rule would make it impossible in Australia to fit bull and nudge bars, which are designed to protect drivers and passengers in front end animal strikes and other impacts. It may also ban winches and driving lights.

The Federal Department has released the proposed regulation for a three month consultation period. We want to collect road users' views and report them as part of the industry response.

The survey takes only moments to complete and is totally confidential. We will add this new data to a report recently commissioned by the Council to study animal strikes on Australian roads.

These Council initiatives respond to the lack of uniform data about the estimated 25,000 to 30,000 vehicle-to-animal strikes occurring each year across Australia. We do not believe that good regulatory decisions can be made without proper research and without canvassing all key issues.

ARB encourages road users to complete the on-line survey as soon as possible. The Survey closes on 31 March 2011. For every person completing the questionnaire, the Council will donate $1 to the Royal Flying Doctor Service, to a maximum of $20,000.

Click here to start the survey

ATTENTION QUEENSLAND CUSTOMERS - FLOOD FUNDRAISING EVENT
- Click here for information on the Aussie Flood Convoy

Happy 4 wheeling,
The ARB 4x4 Accessories Team

To contact us, visit our website at
WWW.ARB.COM.AU

To unsubscribe from this email, please click here.

--
Regards

Michael

Michael Rayner East Light Photography
PO Box 144
MALLACOOTA VIC 3892

MOB: 0409 241 672
BUS: 0351169401
A/H: (03)5158 0346

Web: www.michaelraynerphotography.com.au
Email: michaelrayner@exemail.com.au

Holy crap! I hope what I'm reading here isn't true. Tuv here in australia would be hell on earth. Being from germany myself i know how insanely strict they are on vehicle modifications. A car cannot be lifted, fitted with larger tyres, spot lights, nudge or bull bars, have a spec of rust,or washed with the wrong type of soap:(. Would be the end of everything I love about being able to own a 4x4 in australia. The ability to customize a vehicle to suit your needs. I do think limitations need apply to what extent a vehicle may be modified so as not to allow people to drive 3 foot jacked up monster trucks around that have the potential to flip at the turn of every corner but adopting european standards would be taking a very extreme approach to our current standards and takes away a real sense of freedom. My bull bar has saved me from severe vehicle damage on more than one occasion.

Two severe incidents in which the bull bar was totalled including body damage was driving back from melbourne and hitting a kangaroo at 90km/h. Same thing happened on the way to alice springs. Looking at the banana bend in the heavy duty steel bull bar on the front of the land cruiser I cringed to think what would have happened had it not been there to do it's job.

I have my survey filled and filed so good luck and may the bull bars live on.

To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 22:06:40 +1100
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] - Bull Bars Under Threat

Not having an engine up front thought some might be interested to read and perhaps contribute.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 25 January 2011 13:46
Subject: Bull Bars Under Threat
To: Michael Rayner <mallaner@gmail.com>

If you are unable to view this email correctly, please visit http://mailer.volume.net.au/display.php?M=298056&C=f796066da862579acaa9a7d49f08fd3b&S=1637&L=2&N=763
ARB 4x4
Accessories
Header
BULL BARS UNDER THREAT ARB, in conjunction with the Australian 4WD Industry Council has launched a national on-line public survey to collect information from the public about their use of bull bars and nudge bars. The safety of Australian motorists that drive vehicles fitted with bull bars and nudge bars is threatened by proposed new Federal Government regulations, which are based on rules developed for the European environment and road conditions by the United Nations Economic Cooperation for Europe (UNECE).
The 4WD Industry Council wants up-to-date information about bull and nudge bars - also known as "vehicle front protection systems" (VFPS) - for its consultations with the Department of Infrastructure, Transport and Regional Development in Canberra about the proposed regulation. This regulation focuses on pedestrian safety - not vehicle and occupant safety.
The Department has now released a Regulation Impact Statement for Pedestrian Safety Standards for public consultation, which closes on 15 April 2011. This document includes extensive discussion on "VFPS" and contains options for the regulation of bull bars.
By completing the 4WD Industry Council's survey, participants will help meet the need for current accurate data on the use of bull and nudge bars. The Council hopes to learn more about vehicle types, driving patterns and critical safety issues, such as animal strikes and other impacts.
Adoption of this overseas rule would make it impossible in Australia to fit bull and nudge bars, which are designed to protect drivers and passengers in front end animal strikes and other impacts. It may also ban winches and driving lights.
The Federal Department has released the proposed regulation for a three month consultation period. We want to collect road users' views and report them as part of the industry response.
The survey takes only moments to complete and is totally confidential. We will add this new data to a report recently commissioned by the Council to study animal strikes on Australian roads.
These Council initiatives respond to the lack of uniform data about the estimated 25,000 to 30,000 vehicle-to-animal strikes occurring each year across Australia. We do not believe that good regulatory decisions can be made without proper research and without canvassing all key issues.
ARB encourages road users to complete the on-line survey as soon as possible. The Survey closes on 31 March 2011. For every person completing the questionnaire, the Council will donate $1 to the Royal Flying Doctor Service, to a maximum of $20,000.
Click here to start the survey

ATTENTION QUEENSLAND CUSTOMERS - FLOOD FUNDRAISING EVENT
- Click here for information on the Aussie Flood Convoy
Happy 4 wheeling,
The ARB 4x4 Accessories Team
To contact us, visit our website at
WWW.ARB.COM.AU
To unsubscribe from this email, please click here.

--
Regards

Michael

Michael Rayner East Light Photography
PO Box 144
MALLACOOTA  VIC  3892

MOB: 0409 241 672
BUS:  0351169401
A/H:   (03)5158 0346

Web:   www.michaelraynerphotography.com.au
Email:  michaelrayner@exemail.com.au