Cleaning Underbody Rails etc

Guys, Have been giving the Trakka a spring clean and noticed the rails that run basicly either side of the engine bay <two 1 inch holes at roughly fuel injector level> were chockers full of road dust mud etc.
These holes are easily checked with finger with the engine cover up. Thought i would pass it on as mine require a good flush.

Regards Pete
Pete and ALL,
Check all round the lower perimeter of your van and extreme ends of the tailgate. You should find a number of plastic or rubber bungs in flushing/drain/vent holes. After flushing out the crap, I fish-oiled as much as was practical and then permanently left the bungs out. I'm more interested in getting a better air cross ventilation going in these cavities than anything else, helps to eliminate startup of corrosion. Also I previously found corrosion in the bottom edges at both extreme ends of the tailgate. Treated it, left the bungs out to assist drainage and venting, have had no problem in this area ever since.

I previously found lower REAR skirt panel corrosion started on both sides in the vicinity of both rear bumper brackets, below/adjacent to where the brackets pass inwards through that lower skirt panel. On the outward side (toward van corners) of each bumper bracket there is an oval vent hole. Regrettably there is no drain hole servicing either side location. I would suggest everyone check the skirt panel in the vicinity below and to the side of both those oval vent holes, you may find corrosion already started as I did. Corrosion starts on the inside and works its way outwards. To remedy these, part of my corrosion treatment process for these included the fashioning of drain/vent holes in the panel skirt where the corrosion was found. Have had no further deterioration to these areas since, in my view due to their ability to now freely drain and permanent air cross ventilation to them both.

Pete, you probably will get lucky and find your syncro is rust free there ... at the moment!  

Cheers.
Ken

To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 00:03:55 +0000
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Cleaning Underbody Rails etc

Guys, Have been giving the Trakka a spring clean and noticed the rails that run basicly either side of the engine bay <two 1 inch holes at roughly fuel injector level> were chockers full of road dust mud etc.
These holes are easily checked with finger with the engine cover up. Thought i would pass it on as mine require a good flush.

Regards Pete

Thanks Ken, Had not checked the tailgate, In the process of washing the dust up and down the rails thinking of removing the bumperbar so i can get the hose into the rail. Started at the front near the front end bolts on as I saw some vidio of the rails & front end mounting plates rusting in that area and im sure its the dust that traps the moisture in there that compounds the issue. I know my telstra van has signs the issue you describe on those outer edge holes behind the rear bar its easy to spot with the telstra rear step tow bar.

Cheers Pete

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, Ken Garratt <unclekenz@...> wrote:
>
>
> Pete and ALL,Check all round the lower perimeter of your van and extreme ends of the tailgate. You should find a number of plastic or rubber bungs in flushing/drain/vent holes. After flushing out the crap, I fish-oiled as much as was practical and then permanently left the bungs out. I'm more interested in getting a better air cross ventilation going in these cavities than anything else, helps to eliminate startup of corrosion. Also I previously found corrosion in the bottom edges at both extreme ends of the tailgate. Treated it, left the bungs out to assist drainage and venting, have had no problem in this area ever since.
> I previously found lower REAR skirt panel corrosion started on both sides in the vicinity of both rear bumper brackets, below/adjacent to where the brackets pass inwards through that lower skirt panel. On the outward side (toward van corners) of each bumper bracket there is an oval vent hole. Regrettably there is no drain hole servicing either side location. I would suggest everyone check the skirt panel in the vicinity below and to the side of both those oval vent holes, you may find corrosion already started as I did. Corrosion starts on the inside and works its way outwards. To remedy these, part of my corrosion treatment process for these included the fashioning of drain/vent holes in the panel skirt where the corrosion was found. Have had no further deterioration to these areas since, in my view due to their ability to now freely drain and permanent air cross ventilation to them both.
> Pete, you probably will get lucky and find your syncro is rust free there ... at the moment!
> Cheers.Ken
> To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> From: peterw1000@...
> Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 00:03:55 +0000
> Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Cleaning Underbody Rails etc
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Guys, Have been giving the Trakka a spring clean and noticed the rails that run basicly either side of the engine bay <two 1 inch holes at roughly fuel injector level> were chockers full of road dust mud etc.
>
> These holes are easily checked with finger with the engine cover up. Thought i would pass it on as mine require a good flush.
>
>
>
> Regards Pete
>

Ken,

This is very good information.  How long ago did you do this?  It would be interesting to know the durability of the treatment.

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Ken Garratt
Sent: 31 August 2012 11:51
To: _T3_Australia forum Syncro
Subject: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Cleaning Underbody Rails etc

Pete and ALL,

Check all round the lower perimeter of your van and extreme ends of the tailgate. You should find a number of plastic or rubber bungs in flushing/drain/vent holes. After flushing out the crap, I fish-oiled as much as was practical and then permanently left the bungs out. I'm more interested in getting a better air cross ventilation going in these cavities than anything else, helps to eliminate startup of corrosion. Also I previously found corrosion in the bottom edges at both extreme ends of the tailgate. Treated it, left the bungs out to assist drainage and venting, have had no problem in this area ever since.

I previously found lower REAR skirt panel corrosion started on both sides in the vicinity of both rear bumper brackets, below/adjacent to where the brackets pass inwards through that lower skirt panel. On the outward side (toward van corners) of each bumper bracket there is an oval vent hole. Regrettably there is no drain hole servicing either side location. I would suggest everyone check the skirt panel in the vicinity below and to the side of both those oval vent holes, you may find corrosion already started as I did. Corrosion starts on the inside and works its way outwards. To remedy these, part of my corrosion treatment process for these included the fashioning of drain/vent holes in the panel skirt where the corrosion was found. Have had no further deterioration to these areas since, in my view due to their ability to now freely drain and permanent air cross ventilation to them both.

Pete, you probably will get lucky and find your syncro is rust free there ... at the moment!  

Cheers.

Ken

__