Coolant advice sought.

Hi everyone looking at replacing coolant in the syncro but firstly would anyone suggest a quality coolant flush,that breaks down accumulated scum etc in system and is it necessary to access drainage bolts via heads? (as tin cover protection plate bolted to exhaust?) my only concern here is either breaking exhaust stud and or damage to gasket the list goes on!!!!finally is the VW bilstein coolant (Blue) from just kampers ok in the wasserboxer?
Cheers Richard.
Richard,

I don't know if the Bilstein coolant you mention is the same blue stuff that VW sells under the Autobahn brand. If it's any vote of confidence, my 1987 2wd T3 had 386K miles on the original headgaskets. It may or may not be because I replaced my coolant every year with the factory coolant. Likewise, in my 86 Syncro. It got 270K miles. A year later, the fellow who bought it blew the headgasket. It could be the coolant or maybe even driving style.

I've used a Prestone flush kit that is sold here in the US from most FLAPS (Friendly Neighbourhood Parts Store). I flush everything out with water until it runs totally clear. Then refill with the phosphate free coolant.

IIRC, the company BASF was one of he contractors who made the Autobahn coolant. They also make an orange coloured coolant under the Dexcool label. Many T3 owners in the US have reported excellent results with that product as well. However, I read a BASF bulletin somewhere (cannot recall at the moment) that advised mixing the blue and orange coolant will cause them to gel. In other words, don't do it. Use one or the other just not at the same time in the same cooling system.

Cheers,

BenT

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 3:43 AM, richardnicholls74 <rnic@netconnect.com.au> wrote:
Hi everyone looking at replacing coolant in the syncro but firstly would anyone suggest a quality coolant flush,that breaks down accumulated scum etc in system and is it necessary to access drainage bolts via heads? (as tin cover protection plate bolted to exhaust?) my only concern here is either breaking exhaust stud and or damage to gasket the list goes on!!!!finally is the VW bilstein coolant (Blue) from just kampers ok in the wasserboxer?
Cheers Richard.

----

Hi Richard,
Coolant for your wasserboxer is Bilstein G11.It is coloured blue.I dont know the part number.I do know that G12(97 on) is red and part number is 01381.Do not use G12.
You should always use distilled water as well.
It is sold in 1.5l bottles and you can also get it from Tooleys.
BenC

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "richardnicholls74" <rnic@...> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone looking at replacing coolant in the syncro but firstly would anyone suggest a quality coolant flush,that breaks down accumulated scum etc in system and is it necessary to access drainage bolts via heads? (as tin cover protection plate bolted to exhaust?) my only concern here is either breaking exhaust stud and or damage to gasket the list goes on!!!!finally is the VW bilstein coolant (Blue) from just kampers ok in the wasserboxer?
> Cheers Richard.
>
On 24/05/2011 9:48 PM, BenT Syncro wrote:

Richard,

I don't know if the Bilstein coolant you mention is the same blue stuff that VW sells under the Autobahn brand. If it's any vote of confidence, my 1987 2wd T3 had 386K miles on the original headgaskets. It may or may not be because I replaced my coolant every year with the factory coolant. Likewise, in my 86 Syncro. It got 270K miles. A year later, the fellow who bought it blew the headgasket. It could be the coolant or maybe even driving style.

I've used a Prestone flush kit that is sold here in the US from most FLAPS (Friendly Neighbourhood Parts Store). I flush everything out with water until it runs totally clear. Then refill with the phosphate free coolant.

IIRC, the company BASF was one of he contractors who made the Autobahn coolant. They also make an orange coloured coolant under the Dexcool label. Many T3 owners in the US have reported excellent results with that product as well. However, I read a BASF bulletin somewhere (cannot recall at the moment) that advised mixing the blue and orange coolant will cause them to gel. In other words, don't do it. Use one or the other just not at the same time in the same cooling system.

Cheers,

BenT

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 3:43 AM, richardnicholls74 <rnic@netconnect.com.au> wrote:
Hi everyone looking at replacing coolant in the syncro but firstly would anyone suggest a quality coolant flush,that breaks down accumulated  scum etc in system and is it necessary to access drainage bolts via heads? (as tin cover protection plate bolted to exhaust?) my only concern here is either breaking exhaust stud and or damage to gasket the list goes on!!!!finally is the VW bilstein coolant (Blue) from just kampers ok in the wasserboxer?
Cheers Richard.

----

No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG - www.avg.com Version: 9.0.901 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/3656 - Release Date: 05/24/11 05:39:00 Thanks for the tips Ben, regards Richard.

Its generally accepted in Oz we use the genuine VW "G12 Plus" coolant mixed 50/50 with distilled water in our syncros.
Ken

To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 12:09:24 +0000
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Coolant advice sought.

Hi Richard,
Coolant for your wasserboxer is Bilstein G11.It is coloured blue.I dont know the part number.I do know that G12(97 on) is red and part number is 01381.Do not use G12.
BenC

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "richardnicholls74" <rnic@...> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone looking at replacing coolant in the syncro but firstly would anyone suggest a quality coolant flush,that breaks down accumulated scum etc in system and is it necessary to access drainage bolts via heads? (as tin cover protection plate bolted to exhaust?) my only concern here is either breaking exhaust stud and or damage to gasket the list goes on!!!!finally is the VW bilstein coolant (Blue) from just kampers ok in the wasserboxer?
> Cheers Richard.
>

On 24/05/2011 10:09 PM, Ben wrote:

Hi Richard,
BenC

>
> Cheers Richard.
>

No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG - www.avg.com Version: 9.0.901 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/3656 - Release Date: 05/24/11 05:39:00
Thanks for the heads up Ben will proceed with the Blue coolant G11.