electrolux/dometic 3 way fridge question.

While we are on the subject of fridges, my 3 way fridge (1 year old) works well on all 3 power
sources up until the temp inside the van reaches 40+C. There is also a considerable
difference between the operating temperature of the square heat sink/ cooling fins that run
horizontally across the top of the rear of the unit. here is my question: If the heatsink
becomes quite hot to touch on the 40+C days (compared to the other days where it is just
warm), would it make sense to increase the size of the heatsink fins if space permits. Has any
one attempted this. I know of some people who have put small fans near the vents to
increase air flow. Any suggestions?
Gday Nic,

1. Head south permanently, maybe to Tassie, should fix it.

2. Monster 12v fan for the heat sink running off a dedicated solar panel
might help when the sun is up, but you probably need to investigate
first how effectively any cool air coming in (down low) is being
directed and utilised efficiently through ducting and then vented out
(up high) after doing its job. Just having open space out the back of
the fridge won't do it.

3. Buy a 12vdc only fridge like mine and join my proposed SIG and learn
more ... haha

Cheers.

Ken


--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "nickbellau"
<nick.bellgrove@...> wrote:
>
> While we are on the subject of fridges, my 3 way fridge (1 year old)
works well on all 3 power
> sources up until the temp inside the van reaches 40+C. There is also a
considerable
> difference between the operating temperature of the square heat sink/
cooling fins that run
> horizontally across the top of the rear of the unit. here is my
question: If the heatsink
> becomes quite hot to touch on the 40+C days (compared to the other
days where it is just
> warm), would it make sense to increase the size of the heatsink fins
if space permits. Has any
> one attempted this. I know of some people who have put small fans near
the vents to
> increase air flow. Any suggestions?
>
Go to a computer fair/market and get a couple of 12v fans.
They do work.



> nickbellau <nick.bellgrove@dmit.sa.edu.au> wrote:
>
> While we are on the subject of fridges, my 3 way fridge (1 year old)
> works well on all 3 power
> sources up until the temp inside the van reaches 40+C. There is also a
> considerable
> difference between the operating temperature of the square heat sink/
> cooling fins that run
> horizontally across the top of the rear of the unit. here is my
> question: If the heatsink
> becomes quite hot to touch on the 40+C days (compared to the other days
> where it is just
> warm), would it make sense to increase the size of the heatsink fins if
> space permits. Has any
> one attempted this. I know of some people who have put small fans near
> the vents to
> increase air flow. Any suggestions?
Dear Ken,Phil, Nick and others interested in Fridges.
I've posted a magazine article on servicing 3 way fridges plus a letter and response supporting and expanding on Phil's view that extra fridge fans are the way to go. They are posted under the Australian Press Literature section of our photos.Will also add my Electrolux RM212F intructions for use shortly.Its printed in England and interestingly warns that as 12v operation is unregulated, its continual use for long periods is likely to make the "fresh food compartment too cold for the satisfactory storage of fresh foods and drink" . Hardly a problem we were all suffering from on our week away!
 If you are reading this Mark this album also has all the Australian brochures on it that I promised to post for you. Was gladly beaten to it by "vwpix_org."Trust Deb continues to have a swell time and your engine problems have been economically resolved.
Looking forward to seeing more photos/videos from our week away when they have been edited. I still get a buzz from looking at mine. Thanks again Nick, Peter and Rudy for your particularly generous contributions but thanks also to everyone else for the pleasure their presence brought to my week. Hopeyou are not under water Bruce..
Cheers
Roger

plander@optusnet.com.au wrote:
Go to a computer fair/market and get a couple of 12v fans.
They do work.

> nickbellau <nick.bellgrove@ dmit.sa.edu. au> wrote:
>
> While we are on the subject of fridges, my 3 way fridge (1 year old)
> works well on all 3 power
> sources up until the temp inside the van reaches 40+C. There is also a
> considerable
> difference between the operating temperature of the square heat sink/
> cooling fins that run
> horizontally across the top of the rear of the unit. here is my
> question: If the heatsink
> becomes quite hot to touch on the 40+C days (compared to the other days
> where it is just
> warm), would it make sense to increase the size of the heatsink fins if
> space permits. Has any
> one attempted this. I know of some people who have put small fans near
> the vents to
> increase air flow. Any suggestions?

Send instant messages to your online friends http://au.messenger.yahoo.com

Gday Roger and ALL,

Sorry to be a spoilsport but someone's got to do it. Anyone wanting to
save/view/print the articles that for instance Roger has posted and also
the range of T3 brochures posted by "vwpix_org", all I can say is ...
good luck. The refrigerator articles are unreadable and the T3 brochures
are only thumbnails ... sorry people. I can't say how these were
produced, all I can suggest is that they need to be re-scanned first at
about 200-300 resolution and then reduced in file size to make them
suitable for emailing and/or posting. Only then will they be useful to
others wanting to save/read/print a ledgible copy.

On the subject of camper refrigerators, I can email anyone who may like
to receive it, a 4 page extract all about the ins and outs that ought to
be considered for either electric only or 3 way ... quite informative
and in effect a useful checklist. Let me know and it will be sent. Oh
and it will be ledgible. Cheers.

Ken


--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, Roger Bell <bellrmit@...>
wrote:
>
> Dear Ken,Phil, Nick and others interested in Fridges.
> I've posted a magazine article on servicing 3 way fridges plus a
letter and response supporting and expanding on Phil's view that extra
fridge fans are the way to go. They are posted under the Australian
Press Literature section of our photos.Will also add my Electrolux
RM212F intructions for use shortly.Its printed in England and
interestingly warns that as 12v operation is unregulated, its continual
use for long periods is likely to make the "fresh food compartment too
cold for the satisfactory storage of fresh foods and drink" . Hardly a
problem we were all suffering from on our week away!
> If you are reading this Mark this album also has all the Australian
brochures on it that I promised to post for you. Was gladly beaten to it
by "vwpix_org."Trust Deb continues to have a swell time and your engine
problems have been economically resolved.
> Looking forward to seeing more photos/videos from our week away when
they have been edited. I still get a buzz from looking at mine. Thanks
again Nick, Peter and Rudy for your particularly generous contributions
but thanks also to everyone else for the pleasure their presence brought
to my week. Hopeyou are not under water Bruce..
> Cheers
> Roger
>
> plander@... wrote: Go to a computer fair/market and get a couple of
12v fans.
> They do work.
>
> > nickbellau nick.bellgrove@... wrote:
> >
> > While we are on the subject of fridges, my 3 way fridge (1 year old)
> > works well on all 3 power
> > sources up until the temp inside the van reaches 40+C. There is also
a
> > considerable
> > difference between the operating temperature of the square heat
sink/
> > cooling fins that run
> > horizontally across the top of the rear of the unit. here is my
> > question: If the heatsink
> > becomes quite hot to touch on the 40+C days (compared to the other
days
> > where it is just
> > warm), would it make sense to increase the size of the heatsink fins
if
> > space permits. Has any
> > one attempted this. I know of some people who have put small fans
near
> > the vents to
> > increase air flow. Any suggestions?
>
>
>
>
> Send instant messages to your online friends
http://au.messenger.yahoo.com
>


These instruction are now in our photos section under Australian Press/Literature. Hope someone finds them useful.The maintenance section is worth reading e.g. NOT pricking the burner jet(forget what the old primus kerosene pressure stoves and blow lamps required) and also that a missing or incorrectly located flue baffle will stop the fridge operating properly on gas.
It only listed European Electrolux service centres but you will find Australian ones in the Australian yellow pages.The instructions are repeated in French and German. If anyone needs them its an Electrolux Ltd 9/83 publication 820 92 53-02.
Be careful with the gas operation.
Cheers
Roger

Send instant messages to your online friends http://au.messenger.yahoo.com

Hi Ken,

the first thing is that the yahoo software only allows low resolution
in the galleries. The second thing is, scanning, saving and printing
articles, brochures, ... is forbidden because of the copyright.
Here in Germany i had much trouble about that with lawyers from
Volkswagen, so i had to turn off my website http://www.vwpix.org

I think if you want some of the things posted in the "Photos" section,
the best way is to email directly to the person which posts the
brochure, picture, ... you want.

Regards

Christoph Boltze

1985 Caravelle GL syncro