electronic rust prevention

I had an old t3 that had been in a crash with paint removed that had
paint damage back to bare metal no sign of rust 4/12 mths < it had one
of these electronic rust preventors > Then i took the battery out and
surface rust appeared within 24 hrs ???? could be answer to seam
rust ??? Not cheap but rust can be expensive too .Could be worth a look
I'm also interested in people's opinions of the electronic rust
prevention. Is this 'rust appearing within 24 hours of removing
battery' a common occurence?

I've recently been around the van on all those little surface (or
worse) rust spots with rust converter / primer, and a fish oil /
lanolin combination spray can from supercheap. And just sprayed some
fish oil on the underbody haphazardly.

:) Sam

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "nerdnetty"
<amortensen@...> wrote:
>
> I had an old t3 that had been in a crash with paint removed that had
> paint damage back to bare metal no sign of rust 4/12 mths < it had
one
> of these electronic rust preventors > Then i took the battery out
and
> surface rust appeared within 24 hrs ???? could be answer to seam
> rust ??? Not cheap but rust can be expensive too .Could be worth a
look
>
How does this electronic rust prevention supposedly work?

Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: electronic rust prevention

I'm also interested in people's opinions of the electronic rust
prevention. Is this 'rust appearing within 24 hours of removing
battery' a common occurence?

I've recently been around the van on all those little surface (or
worse) rust spots with rust converter / primer, and a fish oil /
lanolin combination spray can from supercheap. And just sprayed some
fish oil on the underbody haphazardly.

:) Sam
Well not sure if im right but it charges the body in doing this you
stop the rust at the molecular level by stoping the molecule creating
iorn oxide . <RUST> This is all at low levels of charge
I was in a local 4WD shop recently and I saw this electronic rust
prevention kit on display on the front counter. Sounded pretty good,
just that the price tag slowed me down a tad .... lol. Think it was
somewhere between 2 & $300. Gimmick? Yet another thing to wire into the
circuitry? More weight? Where to put it?

Maybe Mr. Google might help us dig up something about its merits.


--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "nerdnetty" <amortensen@...>
wrote:
>
> Well not sure if im right but it charges the body in doing this you
> stop the rust at the molecular level by stoping the molecule creating
> iorn oxide . <RUST> This is all at low levels of charge
>
Hi

Any yachties out there will tell you about sacrificial anodes..You put a
zinc block onto some metal part and it corrodes before the steel..

The electronic rust inhibiters work similarly by causing the electrode to
corrode before the rest of the body which is charged with a very low charge
to repel iron oxide forming.. I'm not a chemical engineer but this is how I
understand these things work.

Couple of links that say it better than I do.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacrificial_anode
http://www.answers.com/topic/galvanic-anode

Thomas
http://mysite.mweb.co.za/residents/thomas/wanda/

-----Original Message-----
From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of nerdnetty
Sent: Tuesday 30 May 2006 01:59 AM
To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] electronic rust prevention


Well not sure if im right but it charges the body in doing this you
stop the rust at the molecular level by stoping the molecule creating
iorn oxide . <RUST> This is all at low levels of charge
Hi Thomas

Zinc paint! I paint everything in sight with 'cold gal'. It works a
treat. When you see the zinc starting to corrode away you just paint
on more!

Peter



--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas" <thomas@...>
wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> Any yachties out there will tell you about sacrificial anodes..You
put a
> zinc block onto some metal part and it corrodes before the steel..
>
> The electronic rust inhibiters work similarly by causing the
electrode to
> corrode before the rest of the body which is charged with a very
low charge
> to repel iron oxide forming.. I'm not a chemical engineer but this
is how I
> understand these things work.
>
> Couple of links that say it better than I do.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacrificial_anode
> http://www.answers.com/topic/galvanic-anode
>
> Thomas
> http://mysite.mweb.co.za/residents/thomas/wanda/
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of nerdnetty
> Sent: Tuesday 30 May 2006 01:59 AM
> To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] electronic rust prevention
>
>
> Well not sure if im right but it charges the body in doing this you
> stop the rust at the molecular level by stoping the molecule
creating
> iorn oxide . <RUST> This is all at low levels of charge
>
--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "Peter" <kestel.p@...>
wrote:
>
> Hi Thomas
>
> Zinc paint! I paint everything in sight with 'cold gal'. It works a
> treat. When you see the zinc starting to corrode away you just paint
> on more!
>
> Peter

I have had excellant results with "Cold Gal" over the last 20 years. I's
like a liquid anode.


> --- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas" thomas@
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > Any yachties out there will tell you about sacrificial anodes..You
> put a zinc block onto some metal part and it corrodes before the
steel..
> >
> > The electronic rust inhibiters work similarly by causing the
electrode to corrode before the rest of the body which is charged with a
very low charge to repel iron oxide forming.. I'm not a chemical
engineer but this is how I
understand these things work.
> >
Zinc anodes require an electrolyte.

I really am sceptical about the electronic version.

Maybe we should write to "Mythbusters"!
just did a google search on <electronic rust prevention> very impresive
and a great way to fight seam rust as this system can get to those
places
ps watch the vidio on the aussie site <top of the first page>
mmmmmmmmmmmm ..... coldgal ....... fantastic! ...... sounds like my
prayers are answered

I might get a no. 00 size artist brush and go handpaint the seams
..........

Perchance, does it come in a range of co-ordinated colours? ... wouldn't
want it to clash with my warm white duco ....


--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "hdvwoc" <plander@...>
wrote:
>
>
>
> --- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "Peter" kestel.p@
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Thomas
> >
> > Zinc paint! I paint everything in sight with 'cold gal'. It works a
> > treat. When you see the zinc starting to corrode away you just paint
> > on more!
> >
> > Peter
>
> I have had excellant results with "Cold Gal" over the last 20 years.
I's
> like a liquid anode.
>
>
> > --- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas" thomas@
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > Any yachties out there will tell you about sacrificial anodes..You
> > put a zinc block onto some metal part and it corrodes before the
> steel..
> > >
> > > The electronic rust inhibiters work similarly by causing the
> electrode to corrode before the rest of the body which is charged with
a
> very low charge to repel iron oxide forming.. I'm not a chemical
> engineer but this is how I
> understand these things work.
> > >
> Zinc anodes require an electrolyte.
>
> I really am sceptical about the electronic version.
>
> Maybe we should write to "Mythbusters"!
>
Was there a like to that page?

Cheers Murray