Engine missing or cutting out

I hope members can help with a problem I am having.
My 1989 Syncro is cutting out either while standing at an intersection or normal driving.
At the standing situation a short period of trying to start the engine got the engine going again and no further sign of trouble for a couple of weeks.
Yesterday at 80kph the engine seemed to be running out of fuel but some accelerator pumping kept things going and after about 20 seconds or so the engine came good and in the day and a half since then I have not had the problem re-occur.
These same symptoms happened with my 1976 VW Camper with an aircooled 2.0 litre fuel injected engine which I owned prior to the Syncro. The problem then was solved with a new fuel pump.
I do recall some postings of problems which may be similar to this but have not located them yet. I will keep trawling.

Regards

JonE

the temperature sensor for the emc unit will cause stalling,running very rich and erratic ideling when it defaults
bob
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, August 04, 2011 5:24 PM
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Engine missing or cutting out

I hope members can help with a problem I am having.
My 1989 Syncro is cutting out either while standing at an intersection or normal driving.
At the standing situation a short period of trying to start the engine got the engine going again and no further sign of trouble for a couple of weeks.
Yesterday at 80kph the engine seemed to be running out of fuel but some accelerator pumping kept things going and after about 20 seconds or so the engine came good and in the day and a half since then I have not had the problem re-occur.
These same symptoms happened with my 1976 VW Camper with an aircooled 2.0 litre fuel injected engine which I owned prior to the Syncro. The problem then was solved with a new fuel pump.
I do recall some postings of problems which may be similar to this but have not located them yet. I will keep trawling.

Regards

JonE

Jon,when was the fuel filter replaced last?

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, Jon Elliott <ellcart44@...> wrote:
>
> I hope members can help with a problem I am having.
> My 1989 Syncro is cutting out either while standing at an intersection or normal driving.
> At the standing situation a short period of trying to start the engine got the engine going again and no further sign of trouble for a couple of weeks.
> Yesterday at 80kph the engine seemed to be running out of fuel but some accelerator pumping kept things going and after about 20 seconds or so the engine came good and in the day and a half since then I have not had the problem re-occur.
> These same symptoms happened with my 1976 VW Camper with an aircooled 2.0 litre fuel injected engine which I owned prior to the Syncro. The problem then was solved with a new fuel pump.
> I do recall some postings of problems which may be similar to this but have not located them yet. I will keep trawling.
>
> Regards
>
> JonE
>
Thanks for the postings re my problem.

Bob - I will replace the temp sensor ASAP.
Ben - When was the fuel filter last replaced? Never as far as I know, although I have had a very conscientious and experienced vw mechanic service the syncro since I have owned it so he may have replaced it at some time.
         The Bentley manual shows 2 filters, one between the tank and the pump and one after the pump. My syncro certainly does not have a filter between the tank and the pump. The distance is so short it would have to be a tight fit.
Is there an australian supplier for the sensor, filter(s) and pump. TheVolkswagen agent in Perth quoted $527.00 for a pump, pay for it up front and wait for it to come from Germany. Why do I bother to phone them!

Regards
JonE