Engine reliability

The engine in my Trakka has completed 160K faultless kms and has given my wife and I great joy over the last 5 years we have owned it.  I am aware the vehicle is 25 years old and not being much of a mechanic I would like to compile a list and start working through replacing the parts of the engine that could fail without notice in some distant remote location that I often find myself in.  

I have considered replacing the engine with a modern Subaru motor but would prefer to stay with the original engine if possible. It has been regularly maintained and I am expecting to get at least 300K kms out of the engine before rebuilding.  Your experience and thoughts are very welcomed.

Thanks Greg N

Can't contribute to your list, but if it helps, we now have one engine which is well over 400,000 Ks.
It is on it's last legs, but since we acquired it, it has had:
Regular oil changes.
Regular coolant flushes and changes with the correct additive.

Oh, and aside from the engine regular brake/clutch fluid flushes and changes with the quality fluid.

--Original Message Text---
Date: 27 Mar 2015 17:13:29 -0700

The engine in my Trakka has completed 160K faultless kms and has given my wife and I great joy over the last 5 years we have owned it. I am aware the vehicle is 25 years old and not being much of a mechanic I would like to compile a list and start working through replacing the parts of the engine that could fail without notice in some distant remote location that I often find myself in.

I have considered replacing the engine with a modern Subaru motor but would prefer to stay with the original engine if possible. It has been regularly maintained and I am expecting to get at least 300K kms out of the engine before rebuilding. Your experience and thoughts are very welcomed.

Thanks Greg N

Thanks Peter 400,000 is pretty amazing have you had to replace the distributor, temp sensors or any of the parts to do with engine management? G
I don't know Greg.
It was part of my small fleet and for all of it's active life professionally maintained.
Each vehicle was serviced every 7000 Ks.
Things went wrong, and I was kept informed, but remembering what and which has been beyond me.

Peter

--Original Message Text---
Date: 27 Mar 2015 18:36:13 -0700

Thanks Peter 400,000 is pretty amazing have you had to replace the distributor, temp sensors or any of the parts to do with engine management? G

Hi GregN, can’t find if it was you who wanted some info on my engine rebuilt. I really tried to keep track on costs but along the way I failed on that part. However I can let you know what got replaced.
The car has done 396 K but actually did 420 K as the odometer was broken for a bit over a year. The engine was stripped and i found the cam lobes to be effected by pitting. P.Mueller found me a new one of the correct size. Crank journals were within factory limits , so no grinding. 

I had the heads overhauled locally, new valves and guides.  From Go Westy : All bearings ,oil pump, piston rings,
(barrels are still within tolerance), some hoses, No 2 temp sensor, oil pressure switches.
From local sources, gasket set, gasket fluid, valve lifters, clutch release bearing, clutch plate, oil seal front, plus Syncro oil seal crank back.

The engine runs beautifully. my shortcoming though, i used the existing big end bolts as i could not find new ones.
Might bite me one day.

I always use Fuchs 15/40 oil (german) , always buy 25 ltr.
Followed Bentley with the instructions, also have basic tools like engine stand, torque wrench and heaps of spanners,
many modified to do a specific tasks.Also have micrometers etc
Had fun along the way, very rewarding. Got some help to re-instal engine, getting too hard.  Hart

On 28 Mar 2015, at 12:36 pm, greg.navarro61@yahoo.com.au [Syncro_T3_Australia] <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

For the people who have high km on their engine without rebuild, are the head seals still original? I have heard they should be replaced every ~7-10 years??