Failed inspection

Gday all

Today my new syncro failed over the pits.
Nothing major, a few annoying and a couple of down right stupid ones.

-Battery clamps missing,

-Rear seat belts not up to scratch so ive now got a 2 seater syncro,

-Bit of plastic missing from seat adjuster, what!!!

-seat not sliding properly(when standing outside trying agreed, when sitting in chair work fine,idiot).

-he couldnt find chassis number or engine number but didnt tell me until after failing, why didnt he ask? Chassis number hidden by hot water tank, remove to tank to show him next test,great.

-Van needs to go over a weigh bridge.

-window tinting too dark in front. maybe too dark in back but couldnt tell me because their machine wasnt working. Ripped out the front tinting and not sure whether or not to do the back as i cant find out by anyone if its too dark, unless i go to the police and ask them. unbelievable.

- And finally, steering rack mount rubbers need replacing.

Ok ive done everything apart from the steering rack rubbers and battery clamps.

Does anyone know where i can get the battery clamps from?

How easy are the mount rubbers to do? can i do them in situ? do i have to remove the whole rack? where can i get them from.?

Thanks in advance
Anthony

Calling all Perth members.  Can anyone help Anthony in this one?

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of godwhitten
Sent: 06 April 2010 18:21
To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Failed inspection

Gday all

- Battery clamps missing,

-seat not sliding properly(when standing outside trying agreed, when sitting in chair work fine,idiot).

-he couldnt find chassis number or engine number but didnt tell me until after failing, why didnt he ask? Chassis number hidden by hot water tank, remove to tank to show him next test,great.

-window tinting too dark in front. maybe too dark in back but couldnt tell me because their machine wasnt working. Ripped out the front tinting and not sure whether or not to do the back as i cant find out by anyone if its too dark, unless i go to the police and ask them. unbelievable.

How easy are the mount rubbers to do? can i do them in situ? do i have to remove the whole rack? where can i get them from.?

Thanks in advance
Anthony

All,

Just wondering, did Oz syncros come with battery clamps for the starting battery? If so, has anyone got a photo of them in place and can describe or provide a photo of what they fasten to?

I don't have any on mine and can't see anywhere that they would clamp down to. TIA.

Ken

Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 08:20:52 +0000
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Failed inspection

Gday all

-Battery clamps missing,

Thanks in advance
Anthony

Australia's #1 job site If It Exists, You'll Find it on SEEK
Go to a wreckers and have a look. It's just an M8 bolt and clamp, on the battery bottom ledge.

> Ken Garratt <unclekenz@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>
> All,
>
>
>
> Just wondering, did Oz syncros come with battery clamps for the starting
> battery? If so, has anyone got a photo of them in place and can describe
> or provide a photo of what they fasten to?
>
>
>
> I don't have any on mine and can't see anywhere that they would clamp
> down to. TIA.
>
>
>
> Ken
>
>
>
> To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> From: godwhitten@yahoo.com
> Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 08:20:52 +0000
> Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Failed inspection
>
>
>
>
>
> Gday all
>
> Today my new syncro failed over the pits.
> Nothing major, a few annoying and a couple of down right stupid ones.
>
> -Battery clamps missing,
>
> -Rear seat belts not up to scratch so ive now got a 2 seater syncro,
>
> -Bit of plastic missing from seat adjuster, what!!!
>
> -seat not sliding properly(when standing outside trying agreed, when
> sitting in chair work fine,idiot).
>
> -he couldnt find chassis number or engine number but didnt tell me until
> after failing, why didnt he ask? Chassis number hidden by hot water
> tank, remove to tank to show him next test,great.
>
> -Van needs to go over a weigh bridge.
>
> -window tinting too dark in front. maybe too dark in back but couldnt
> tell me because their machine wasnt working. Ripped out the front
> tinting and not sure whether or not to do the back as i cant find out by
> anyone if its too dark, unless i go to the police and ask them.
> unbelievable.
>
> - And finally, steering rack mount rubbers need replacing.
>
> Ok ive done everything apart from the steering rack rubbers and battery
> clamps.
>
> Does anyone know where i can get the battery clamps from?
>
> How easy are the mount rubbers to do? can i do them in situ? do i have
> to remove the whole rack? where can i get them from.?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Anthony
>
>
>
>
>
> _________________________________________________________________
> If It Exists, You'll Find it on SEEK. Australia's #1 job site
> http://clk.atdmt.com/NMN/go/157639755/direct/01/
Phill,
Interesting. But I'm not surprised these brackets go missing over time. So no, I don't want a bracket set really, just curious.

If anything, this is an example of but one of the potential pitfalls of buying a syncro interstate and having to go through the bureaucratic process of re-registration in a different state, with zeolous inspectors applying the fine toothcomb, much to the new owners chagrin. The similar pitfall is de-registering the syncro for some time period then having to go through that same zeolous inspection process (blue slip) for re-registration. Heh aren't we just so lucky to have 6 states and 2 territories worth of zeolous bureaucrats, all with their own interpretations .. haha.
Cheers.
Ken

Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 06:58:14 +1000
Subject: Re: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Failed inspection

Go to a wreckers and have a look. It's just an M8 bolt and clamp, on the battery bottom ledge.

> Ken Garratt <unclekenz@hotmail. com> wrote:
>
>
> All,
>
>
>
> Just wondering, did Oz syncros come with battery clamps for the starting
> battery? If so, has anyone got a photo of them in place and can describe
> or provide a photo of what they fasten to?
>
>
>
> I don't have any on mine and can't see anywhere that they would clamp
> down to. TIA.
>
>
>
> Ken
>
>
>
> To: Syncro_T3_Australia @yahoogroups. com
> From: godwhitten@yahoo. com
> Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 08:20:52 +0000
> Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australi a] Failed inspection
>
>
>
>
>
> Gday all
>
> Today my new syncro failed over the pits.
> Nothing major, a few annoying and a couple of down right stupid ones.
>
> -Battery clamps missing,
>
> -Rear seat belts not up to scratch so ive now got a 2 seater syncro,
>
> -Bit of plastic missing from seat adjuster, what!!!
>
> -seat not sliding properly(when standing outside trying agreed, when
> sitting in chair work fine,idiot).
>
> -he couldnt find chassis number or engine number but didnt tell me until
> after failing, why didnt he ask? Chassis number hidden by hot water
> tank, remove to tank to show him next test,great.
>
> -Van needs to go over a weigh bridge.
>
> -window tinting too dark in front. maybe too dark in back but couldnt
> tell me because their machine wasnt working. Ripped out the front
> tinting and not sure whether or not to do the back as i cant find out by
> anyone if its too dark, unless i go to the police and ask them.
> unbelievable.
>
> - And finally, steering rack mount rubbers need replacing.
>
> Ok ive done everything apart from the steering rack rubbers and battery
> clamps.
>
> Does anyone know where i can get the battery clamps from?
>
> How easy are the mount rubbers to do? can i do them in situ? do i have
> to remove the whole rack? where can i get them from.?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Anthony
>
>
>
>
>
> ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _
> If It Exists, You'll Find it on SEEK. Australia's #1 job site
> http://clk.atdmt. com/NMN/go/ 157639755/ direct/01/

Looking for a hot date? View photos of singles in your area!
But I'm not surprised these brackets go missing over time.

Who are the brain dead morons that take them off?
If my car came back from repairs with the brackets missing I'd be showing them some sporting equipment. From reading many of the posts here, I think that mechanics need to be more accountable for their actions. "If you don't know something, just make it up".
They are the same people who tighten everything with an air tool way beyond the correct torque, put all of the washers from the shock absorber bolts onto one bolt when reassembling and tighten fan belts so tight that new water pump bearings already have play in them.

From now on i'm doing it all myself....

If you don't have battery clamps in place don't you risk a short Ken with the battery moving around? The battery in my diesel is next to the engine, is it in a different spot on the petrols?

Gary

On 07/04/2010, at 11:24 AM, plander@optusnet.com.au wrote:

If my car came back from repairs with the brackets missing I'd be showing them some sporting equipment. From reading many of the posts here, I think that mechanics need to be more accountable for their actions. "If you don't know something, just make it up".

Gary,

In the box behind the driver’s seat.

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of Gary Cookson
Sent: 07 April 2010 11:41
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Failed inspection

They are the same people who tighten everything with an air tool way beyond the correct torque, put all of the washers from the shock absorber bolts onto one bolt when reassembling and tighten fan belts so tight that new water pump bearings already have play in them.

If you don't have battery clamps in place don't you risk a short Ken with the battery moving around? The battery in my diesel is next to the engine, is it in a different spot on the petrols?

Gary

That's where I keep my sandwiches, wondered what it was for...

On 07/04/2010, at 12:08 PM, Les Harris wrote:

Gary,

In the box behind the driver’s seat.

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia @yahoogroups. com [mailto: Syncro_T3_Australia @yahoogroups. com ] On Behalf Of Gary Cookson
Sent: 07 April 2010 11:41
To: Syncro_T3_Australia @yahoogroups. com
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australi a] Failed inspection

Gary

Gary,
Sorry, I assumed everyone has their starting battery under the drivers seat, unlike splitties and bays that have them on one side in the engine bay. My past experiences tells me I would much rather avoid exposing a battery to the harsh environment that is the T3 engine bay.

Even without clamps, experience tells me my own battery setup (as done by me) under the drivers seat doesn't shake or move about or do anything else detrimental. Even if I roll it, it isn't going anywhere. However I do concede.. it appears now from what's been said, a zeolous bureacrat would come down hard! Hence I have no plans to visit one.

I just lurv bureaucrats .... NOT!

Cheers.
Ken  

Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 11:40:59 +1000

Gary

On 07/04/2010, at 11:24 AM, plander@optusnet. com.au wrote:

Yes I'm sure it would be fine down under the seat without clamps. I wonder why VW moved it for the diesels, maybe just to avoid a bit of voltage drop for the higher compression? My house battery is under the passenger seat though so i suppose i could fit another under the driver's seat.

How does the avoiding bureaucrats go with annual inspections up in your part of the world? Don't you have to have a check once a year for road worthiness?

Vic is quite handy in that you don't need to have one except when you sell a vehicle but sometimes I look at some of the terrible old wrecks driving around that have not had a roadworthy in living memory and wonder if we'd all be a bit safer if they did.

I was camping next to an old ute at the weekend up near Eildon and both sides of the body were completely rotted out but there it was driving around legally (well technically)

Gary

On 07/04/2010, at 1:38 PM, Ken Garratt wrote:

Gary,
Sorry, I assumed everyone has their starting battery under the drivers seat, unlike splitties and bays that have them on one side in the engine bay. My past experiences tells me I would much rather avoid exposing a battery to the harsh environment that is the T3 engine bay.

Even without clamps, experience tells me my own battery setup (as done by me) under the drivers seat doesn't shake or move about or do anything else detrimental. Even if I roll it, it isn't going anywhere. However I do concede.. it appears now from what's been said, a zeolous bureacrat would come down hard! Hence I have no plans to visit one.

Cheers.
Ken  

Gary

Well, there's not much to the bracket anyway. It's just an L-shaped
piece of cadmium plated steel with a small bolt running through it.
Dime a dozen around here. I hate to see anything go to waste so I pull
them every van I see my local VW shop send to the crusher. I didn't
think it would hurt to have spares. Just about every T3 I've purchased
was missing this bracket.

Yes, VW moved the battery closer to the starter on diesel powered
T3's. Think about it. In diesels, you have space for two spare
batteries!

BenT
>
Gary,
The pink slip is an annual inspection in NSW done by RTA authorised auto service outlets, mechanics. Mostly covers braking, electrics, windscreen washers, horn, wobbly wheels, exhaust, tyres and such. This is when the charlatans in the auto industry get to find obscure things wrong with your vehicle and so you get to hand over extra wads of cash at this stressful time. Whereas the blue slip is for as described in the previous post, carried out by elite authorised personnel by appointment and higher priced and more likely to fail. Never had the pleasure of a blue slip check.

I had the idea Queensland was the worst for lack of inspections and hence mobile death traps ... not so eh.
Ken 

Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 14:29:43 +1000

Yes I'm sure it would be fine down under the seat without clamps. I wonder why VW moved it for the diesels, maybe just to avoid a bit of voltage drop for the higher compression? My house battery is under the passenger seat though so i suppose i could fit another under the driver's seat.

How does the avoiding bureaucrats go with annual inspections up in your part of the world? Don't you have to have a check once a year for road worthiness?

Vic is quite handy in that you don't need to have one except when you sell a vehicle but sometimes I look at some of the terrible old wrecks driving around that have not had a roadworthy in living memory and wonder if we'd all be a bit safer if they did.

I was camping next to an old ute at the weekend up near Eildon and both sides of the body were completely rotted out but there it was driving around legally (well technically)

Gary

Gary,

Cheers.
Ken  

Gary

Meet local singles online. Browse profiles for FREE!
Thanks for all the replies folks.

Batteries are now fixed down securely with the brackets permanently borrowed from my other type 25( That will prob never go  over the pits again in WA so all good)
Im all for road safety and would definately like to be advised if my vehicle was unsafe, no issues at all with that.
And lets be honest i might be a pomme but i certainly dont want to fall into the category of so many of my fellow countrymen/women and be classed as a whingeing one.!!

Ive done everything they said apart from the rubbers which im waiting on.
He was just a dick, first day on the job i think.
Annoying mainly because there was a young lad next to me in a high powered V8 and the inspector was telling him he needed a new tyre by the end of the day. Fine, until he mentioned borrowing one from a mate obviously meaning for the test and change back later, who knows?

Whinge officially over. Im used to an MOT every year which they spend about 30 mins under the vehicle with a fine tooth comb. And the brakes are checked on rollers for balancing and efficiency not driving  down the road behind the test centre and slamming them on. Love WA.

Cant wait to get her on the road and off it. Very excited.
And rebuilding the camping interior.

Thanks everyone
ant

To: Syncro _T3_Australia forum <syncro_t3_australia@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Wed, 7 April, 2010 5:36:18 PM
Subject: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Failed inspection

Gary,
The pink slip is an annual inspection in NSW done by RTA authorised auto service outlets, mechanics. Mostly covers braking, electrics, windscreen washers, horn, wobbly wheels, exhaust, tyres and such. This is when the charlatans in the auto industry get to find obscure things wrong with your vehicle and so you get to hand over extra wads of cash at this stressful time. Whereas the blue slip is for as described in the previous post, carried out by elite authorised personnel by appointment and higher priced and more likely to fail. Never had the pleasure of a blue slip check.

I had the idea Queensland was the worst for lack of inspections and hence mobile death traps ... not so eh.
Ken 

Gary

Gary,

Cheers.
Ken  

Gary

Good luck with inspection # 2.

Hopefully the Pits guy is having a better day.

Cheers,

Scott

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, April 07, 2010 9:12 PM

Thanks for all the replies folks.

Batteries are now fixed down securely with the brackets permanently borrowed from my other type 25( That will prob never go  over the pits again in WA so all good)
Im all for road safety and would definately like to be advised if my vehicle was unsafe, no issues at all with that.
And lets be honest i might be a pomme but i certainly dont want to fall into the category of so many of my fellow countrymen/women and be classed as a whingeing one.!!

Ive done everything they said apart from the rubbers which im waiting on.
He was just a dick, first day on the job i think.
Annoying mainly because there was a young lad next to me in a high powered V8 and the inspector was telling him he needed a new tyre by the end of the day. Fine, until he mentioned borrowing one from a mate obviously meaning for the test and change back later, who knows?

Whinge officially over. Im used to an MOT every year which they spend about 30 mins under the vehicle with a fine tooth comb. And the brakes are checked on rollers for balancing and efficiency not driving  down the road behind the test centre and slamming them on. Love WA.

Cant wait to get her on the road and off it. Very excited.
And rebuilding the camping interior.

Thanks everyone
ant

To: Syncro _T3_Australia forum <syncro_t3_australia @yahoogroups. com>
Sent: Wed, 7 April, 2010 5:36:18 PM
Subject: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australi a] Failed inspection

Gary,

Ken 

Gary

Gary,

Cheers.
Ken  

Gary