FW: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Smallcar clutch issue - Theo

Hi Skot,

Not sure about – honour their warranty – it is more about finding out what’s the problem engaging the gears.

Otherwise the engine runs fine - very smooth and I can keep up with the traffic.

However, I have to work on the acceleration pedal - it is too aggressive – I only have to touch it and the engine revs up.

Cheers,

Theo

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Friday, 2 June 2017 9:22 PM
To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Smallcar clutch issue - Theo

Good plan - taking it back to AM Autos.

Great to see they honour their warranty. I have nowhere to go except to myself, Rudi  for the gearbox and my mechanic for the timing belts, water pump and thermostat.

May need to remove the box to check as the slave and release bearing is all within the bellhousing - not much outside the bellhousing. Easy job for those with a hoist - such as AM Autos...

Hows the rest of the conversion going?

I have found the Smallcar stuff very well engineered and brings the conversion to almost standard VW set up as opposed to other versions.

Cheers,

Skot

On 2/06/2017 8:35 PM, Theo teows@melbpc.org.au [Syncro_T3_Australia] wrote:

Hi Scott,

Thank you for that very informative e-mail.

I have talked to AM Auto Services - they have installed the spacer so it is a bit of a mystery.

I had a look with my inspection camera and yes there is a spacer however I could not tell if it is worn away.

Next week I will return the Syncro to AM Auto to find out what’s the problem with the clutch.

Cheers,

Theo

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Thursday, 1 June 2017 2:29 PM
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: VW Nationals and Camping

Hi Theo,

Thanks for travelling down and entering the show - its great to show folks these awesome vehicles face to face.

Anyway, regarding your clutch issues - Mao from Smallcar insisted that I install the spacer to the clutch master cylinder which restricts the clutch travel and prevents from pushing the clutch slave cylinder/ release bearing past its allowable run.

Anyway, I have attached a photo of the clutch kit from Smallcar which shows the small round black spacer in the photo next to the bell-housing. Its about 15mm long and the same diameter as the inner clutch master cylinder.
https://smallcar.com/images/detailed/0/bhv025new.jpg

My mechanic installed it in about 10 minutes - just two bolts to remove it from the bracket - leave the fluid lines attached. - pull it out from the pedal cluster enough that you can see the rubber boot. Peel back the rubber boot and install the spacer in the cylinder by just placing it in there. Then reinstate the rubber boot and reinstall in the pedal cluster.

My mechanic used a battery powered rattle gun to do it and its just two 10mm bolts that hold it on.

If you dont have one of these spacers - get AM Autos to install one or buy one from Smallcar and do it yourself.
See the schematic below:
https://shufti.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/assexpl.jpg

A slipping clutch will show by the engine revving without any real drive forward - basically it will have less notable power as the clutch slips.

Did they install a Stage 2 clutch? I have heard the Stage 1 Suby clutch is inadequate to handle the EJ251 SOHC power.

Best of luck.

Cheers,

Scott

On 31/05/2017 4:54 PM, Theo teows@melbpc.org.au [Syncro_T3_Australia] wrote:

Syncronuts,

We finally made it home to Redcliffe. Thank you Ken for organizing the camp spots.

Sam,

Thanks for all the information on the small-car clutch issue from the samba website - lots of reading to be done.

So, there is a problem with some of the installation. It will give me a better understanding when I next talk to AM Auto Services.

Scott,

On my way down to Sydney, gear change got progressively harder. In Coffs Harbour I couldn’t&nbs p; change at all. In 2nd  gear all the way through till

I found – AWARD EUROPEAN – mechanic who helped me on the spot. He bleed th e system and explained to me - not to push the clutch pedal

all the way and it worked. Paul gave me a piece of wood as a temporary stop under the pedal.

What is a master cylinder spacer – where  does it go?

On our way back through Coffs I went to AWARD EUROPEAN to adjust the hand brake and found out that the vacuum line wasn’t reinstalled

after the Subaru conversion. So, all in all, a few items still need to be sorted.

On our way back we also dropped  in on Gerald & Robyn - who owns a Syncro Caravelle with lots of extras, including a toolbox un der the floor. Ken are you listening?

How can I check if the clutch is slipping?

;

Cheers,

Theo & Christine

--
Best regards, Scott Pitcher SPB Consulting

--

Whats your set-up with the accelerator pedal Theo.

Attach a photo so we can see.

Cheers,

Skot

On 5/06/2017 4:08 PM, Theo teows@melbpc.org.au [Syncro_T3_Australia] wrote:

Hi Skot,

Not sure about – honour their warranty – it is more about finding out what’s the problem engaging the gears.

Otherwise the engine runs fine - very smooth and I can keep up with the traffic.

However, I have to work on the acceleration pedal - it is too aggressive – I only have to touch it and the engine revs up.

Cheers,

Theo

Great to see they honour their warranty. I have nowhere to go except to myself, Rudi for the gearbox and my mechanic for the timing belts, water pump and thermostat.

May need to remove the box to check as the slave and release bearing is all within the bellhousing - not much outside the bellhousing. Easy job for those with a hoist - such as AM Autos...

I have found the Smallcar stuff very well engineered and brings the conversion to almost standard VW set up as opposed to other versions.

Cheers,

Skot

Hi Scott,

I have talked to AM Auto Services - they have installed the spacer so it is a bit of a mystery.

I had a look with my inspection camera and yes there is a spacer however I could not tell if it is worn away.

Next week I will return the Syncro to AM Au to to find out what’s the problem with the clutch.

Cheers,

Theo

Hi Theo,

Thanks for travelling down and entering the show - its great to show folks these awesome vehicles face to face.

Anyway, regarding your clutch issues - Mao from Smallcar insisted that I install the spacer to the clutch master cylinder which restricts the clutch travel and prevents from pushing the clutch slave cylinder/ release bearing past its allowable run.

Anyway, I have attached a photo of the clutch kit from Smallcar which shows the small round black spacer in the photo next to the bell-housing. Its about 15mm long and the same diameter as the inner clutch master cylinder.
https:/
/smallcar.com/images/detailed/0/bhv025new.jpg

My mechanic installed it in about 10 minutes - just two bolts to remove it from the bracket - leave the fluid lines attached. - pull it out from the pedal cluster enough that you can see the rubber boot. Peel back the rubber boot and install the spacer in the cylinder by just placing it in there. Then reinstate the rubber boot and reinstall in the pedal cluster.

My mechanic used a battery powered rattle gun to do it and its just two 10mm bolts that hold it on.

If you dont have one of these spacers - get AM Autos to install one or buy one from Smallcar and do it yourself.
See the schematic below:

A slipping clutch will show by the engine revving without any real drive forward - basically it will have less notable power as the clutch slips.
Did they install a Stage 2 clutch? I have heard the Stage 1 Suby clutch is inadequate to handle the EJ251 SOHC power.

Best of luck.

Cheers,

Scott

Syncronuts,

We finally made it home to Redcliffe. Thank you Ken for organizing the camp spots.

Sam,

Thanks for all the information on the small-car clutch issue from the samba website - lots of reading to be done.

So, there is a problem with some of the installation. It will give me a better underst anding when I next talk to AM Auto Services.

Scott,

On my way down to Sydney, gear change got progressively harder. In Coffs Harbour I couldn’t&nbs p; change at all. In 2nd gear all the way through till

I found – AWARD EUROPEAN – mechanic who helped me on the spot. He bleed th e system and explained to me - not to push the clutch pedal

all the way and it worked. Paul gave me a piece of wood as a temporary stop under the pedal.

What is a master cylinder spacer – where does it go?

On our way back through Coffs I went to AWARD EUROPEAN to adjust the hand brake and found out that the vacuum line wasn’t reinstalled

after the Subaru conversion. So, all in all, a few items still need to be sorted.

On our way back we also dropped in on Gerald & Robyn - who owns a Syncro Caravelle with lots of extras, including a toolbox un der the floor. Ken are you listening?

;

Cheers,

Theo & Christine

--

--

--

Hi Skot,

I missed the opportunity to compare notes with you at the WV Nationals.

My set-up is a stock standard VW. With the VW engine I had to push the pedal quite a bit before anything happens.

With the Subaru engine the accelerator pedal is so  much more sensitive.

I have spoken to Miles at AM Auto Services - he is aware of my concern.

I will keep you posted.

Cheers,

Theo

Sent: Monday, 5 June 2017 4:20 PM
Subject: Re: FW: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Smallcar clutch issue - Theo [2 Attachments]

Cheers,

Skot

Hi Skot,

Cheers,

Theo

Great to see they honour their warranty. I have nowhere to go except to myself, Rudi  for the gearbox and my mechanic for the timing belts, water pump and thermostat.

Cheers,

Skot

Hi Scott,

Next week I will return the Syncro to AM Au to to find out what’s the problem with the clutch.

Cheers,

Theo

Hi Theo,

See the schematic below:

Best of luck.

Cheers,

Scott

Syncronuts,

Sam,

So, there is a problem with some of the installation. It will give me a better underst anding when I next talk to AM Auto Services.

Scott,

On my way down to Sydney, gear change got progressively harder. In Coffs Harbour I couldn’t&nbs p; change at all. In 2nd  gear all the way through till

What is a master cylinder spacer – where  does it go?

On our way back we also dropped  in on Gerald & Robyn - who owns a Syncro Caravelle with lots of extras, including a toolbox un der the floor. Ken are you listening?

;

Cheers,

Theo & Christine

--

--

--

Theo,

I got the accelerator cable upgrade from Smallcar which is a T3 diesel cable which i think comes with the kit. Cant remember exactly.

Anyway there was a fair bit of adjustment to get it correct and I added an extra return spring to make sure it comes back quickly .

However, as mine came from an auto Subaru wagon, it idles up as soon as my syncro starts moving via the speed sensor and is slow to reduce revs between gear changes. I know of two others that do this too.

Lots of bugs to work out !

Otherwise the power and economy is sensational!

Cheers,

Skot

On 5/06/2017 7:36 PM, Theo teows@melbpc.org.au [Syncro_T3_Australia] wrote:

Hi Skot,

I missed the opportunity to compare notes with you at the WV Nationals.

My set-up is a stock standard VW. With the VW engine I had to push the pedal quite a bit before anything happens.

With the Subaru engine the accelerator pedal is so much more sensitive.

I have spoken to Miles at AM Auto Services - he is aware of my concern.

I will keep you posted.

Cheers,

Theo

Sent: Monday, 5 June 2017 4:20 PM
Subject: Re: FW: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Smallcar clutch issu e - Theo [2 Attachments]

Cheers,

Skot

Hi Skot,

Not sure about – honour their warranty – it is more about finding out what’s the problem engaging t he gears.

Cheers,

Theo

Great to see they honour their warranty. I have nowhere to go except to myself, Rudi for the gearbox and my mechanic for the timing belts, water pump and thermostat.

May need to remove the box to check as the slave and release bearing is all within the bellhousing - n ot much outside the bellhousing. Easy job for those with a hoist - such as AM Autos...

Cheers,

Skot

Hi Scott,

Cheers,

Theo

Hi Theo,

Anyway, regarding your clutch i ssues - Mao from Smallcar insisted that I install the spacer to the clutch master cylinder which restricts the clutch travel and prevents from pushing the clutch slave cylinder/ release bearing past its allowable run.

See the schematic below:

Best of luck.

Cheers,

Scott

Syncronuts,

Sam,

Scott,

On my way down to Sydney, gear change got progressively harder. In Coffs Harbour I couldn’t&nbs p; change at all. In 2nd gear all the way through till < /o>

What is a master cylinder spacer – where does it go?

On our way back we also dropped in on Gerald & Robyn - who owns a Syncro Caravelle with lots of extras, including a toolbox un der the floor. Ken are you listening?

;

Cheers,

Theo & Christine

--

--

--

--

Hi Theo, glad to hear the Subaru conversion is going well, the trip to the nationals and back would have been a good test for it all. Just need some fine tuning by the sounds of it!

Not that I have experience with the conversion, but happy to help out if you need a hand with anything :)

Richard

Thanks Richard. Is there a - Day of the VW- up here in Qld.?

Theo

Sent: Tuesday, 6 June 2017 11:00 AM
Subject: RE: FW: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Smallcar clutch issue - Theo

Hi Theo, glad to hear the Subaru conversion is going well, the trip to the nationals and back would have been a good test for it all. Just need some fine tuning by the sounds of it!

Not that I have experience with the conversion, but happy to help out if you need a hand with anything :)

Richard

There are a few VW shows on through the year, probably the biggest two are dubs by the abbey be the bad little buggers club (already been this year) and the VW Drivers club QLD show in September.

This link shows last years, but the date will be similar

http://www.vwdcqinc.org.au/

Richard

---In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, <teows@...> wrote :

Thanks Richard.  Is there a - Day of the VW- up here in Qld.?

Theo     

Sent: Tuesday, 6 June 2017 11:00 AM
Subject: RE: FW: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Smallcar clutch issue - Theo

Richard