FW: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Syncro report

Gday Scott,
Eat your heart out!
Your better half can come shopping in my Trakka via Erina Fair or Gosford underground carparks anytime she likes ok ... No worries! Haha.
Cheers.
Ken

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, 1 November 2009 10:36 PM
To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Syncro report

[The entire original message is not included]
Gday Beetle,
Just a reminder to all. Most if not all Oz T3's manufactured 1990 and later are still eligible for a one time only FREE upgrade of all fuel injectors and fuel hoses and associated fuel line fittings in the engine bay ... by prior arrangement with any VW service centre. Has to be the original motor, they first confirm correct engine number and vehicle VIN number for eligibility.

Pre 1990 manufactured T3's are ineligible .... sorry.
Cheers.
Ken.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, 1 November 2009 11:17 PM
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Syncro report

[The entire original message is not included]
Thanks for the tip, Ken - I didn't know that. It seems like the factory recognised that there was a problem.

I guess I'll miss out though, because mine is an '89. I've already got the replacement parts, but wasn't intending to use them until I fit the new engine. Better pull my finger out ...

I had a quick look under the engine lid this arvo, but couldn't see any obvious leaks. The fumes are still noticeable so I need to investigate further. Might drop the fuel tank out for a gander when we pull out the engine and transaxle.

I don't think I'll be parking upwind from any campfires until I identify the problem.

Cheers, Beetle Bayley.

Roger,

Don’t even THINK about taking the fuel tank out!!!!!!!!!!

I had mine dropped out by a workshop about a year ago and the problems they had getting it out were extraordinary.  It took two mechanics an hour to wrestle it out.  The putting back was beyond belief.  It took three mechanics two hours to get it back in.  They now run and hide whenever I appear.

It is known that moulded plastic tanks can grow with age due to heat cycling and mine certainly had.  It is probable that it was a close fit in its original form and, since the tank went in on the production line before anything else, it would not have appeared as a problem.

Donkeys ago, when I joined Qantas as a cadet engineer, there was a very good test in use for tank and line leakage.  Trichlorethylene was mixed with powdered chalk and painted on to anything that needed testing.  It dried very rapidly and left a dense white coating.  The tiniest weep would instantly turn the coating clear.  Tricho is now known to be rather dangerous stuff (maybe that explains addled brain) and is banned, but any clear spirit would act the same way. 

It is improbable that the tank body is leaking.  It is far more likely to be a fitting or seal.

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of Gullyraker@aol.com
Sent: 02 November 2009 16:11
Subject: Re: FW: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Syncro report

I had a quick look under the engine lid this arvo, but couldn't see any obvious leaks. The fumes are still noticeable so I need to investigate further. Might drop the fuel tank out for a gander when we pull out the engine and transaxle.

I don't think I'll be parking upwind from any campfires until I identify the problem.

Cheers, Beetle Bayley.

Thanks for the good advice Les, I'm glad I didn't go down that path. Sounds even worse than trying to replace the sound system in a Hyundai Excel.

I'll put it up on the hoist and have a good look around. Has anybody got a match?

Cheers, Roger 'Beetle' Bayley.

>
> I guess I'll miss out though, because mine is an '89. I've already got
>

Don't go by year model, but check the VIN. There is not a definitive cut off date.
Gday Beetle,

The Recall is specifically for Year models 1990 through 1992. Phill can probably confirm that the 1990 year model began production during the latter half of 1989, so at this stage, all is not yet lost.

If you like, give me your VIN number and I'll check eligibility for you ok.

Cheers.

Ken

Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 06:21:02 +1100
Subject: Re: Re: FW: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Syncro report

>
> I guess I'll miss out though, because mine is an '89. I've already got
>

Don't go by year model, but check the VIN. There is not a definitive cut off date.

Find out how here Use Messenger in your Hotmail inbox
Thanks Phil, I'll look into it. Beetle.