Hall Sender

I have just learned that the Hall sender for the T4 is a direct fit for the T3.  The part number (030 905 065) comes up as NLA for the T3 so the average dealer will say ‘tough’.

Volks Home fits them on a regular basis; $110 for the part.

Les

Thanks Les. Should one fit a new hall sender because ours are 20+ years old?  What happens when these things fail.  Regards Greg

Greg,

It is a characteristic of solid state electronic devices that they run perfectly up to the point of failure – but that failure point is impossible to predict.  Sometimes, there is an intermittent fail factor prior to terminal failure but not often. 

That said, my Hall sender failed halfway between Melbourne and Uralla (NSW) but there had been a few power fades on the trip prior to the failure.  This was probably the Hall sender but I have no way of making sure.

When they fail, the engine will not start/run at all because the Hall sender tells the ECU the engine speed.  If there is no signal from the sender, the ECU cannot set any of the key parameters – injection pulse and ignition advance, which is what happened to me.

The answer would be that, while there is preventative sense in changing it, it is equally probable that it will run for the life of the engine.

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: 08 November 2014 09:04
To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Hall Sender

Thanks Les. Should one fit a new hall sender because ours are 20+ years old?  What happens when these things fail.  Regards Greg

This part fits lots of models, Audi, Seat, Golf(2,3,4), Passat and t4. It is the simplified version that brings the sensor along side the plug. 035 998 065 is the original part number for the elaborate original version. I like the new style much better and they didn't give trouble in those other model cars so they are tried and tested in my books. $110 is a good price from a retailer especially if it is genuine or bosch.
The bosch part number is 1237031296. Greg E

From: "'Les Harris' leslieharris@optusnet.com.au [Syncro_T3_Australia]" <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Friday, 7 November 2014, 19:23
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Hall Sender

I have just learned that the Hall sender for the T4 is a direct fit for the T3.  The part number (030 905 065) comes up as NLA for the T3 so the average dealer will say ‘tough’.
Les

The part number that John Goodison gave me is the VW part number for the Bosch unit and I am assuming that the part number he gave me is for the T4 sender. ( He just refuses to stock brands of unknown quality or of a poor service history.) 

The $110 would be well less than the normal retail; this is the price for VW Club members. He looks after us very well!

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: 08 November 2014 10:17
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Hall Sender

This part fits lots of models, Audi, Seat, Golf(2,3,4), Passat and t4. It is the simplified version that brings the sensor along side the plug. 035 998 065 is the original part number for the elaborate original version. I like the new style much better and they didn't give trouble in those other model cars so they are tried and tested in my books. $110 is a good price from a retailer especially if it is genuine or bosch.

From: "'Les Harris' leslieharris@optusnet.com.au [Syncro_T3_Australia]" <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com>

Les

Greg,

Isn’t that the same Hall Sender you pointed out in April for $80 on e-bay?

Cheers

Theo

Les

Sorry Theo I can't remember what I said in April but I recently mentioned one on ebay for $47 which is the new style that Les is talking about. For that price it is no doubt a Chinese knock off. It might be a good option for a back up in the tool box but for a permanent fit you'll want oem or Bosch (or Valeo if they make one).  

From: "Theo Weiss teows@melbpc.org.au [Syncro_T3_Australia]" <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Saturday, 8 November 2014, 19:28
Subject: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Hall Sender

Greg,
Cheers
Theo

Les

Theo,

If it didn’t have the word BOSCH on it in big red letters, I would be wary.

Les

Sent: 08 November 2014 19:29
Subject: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Hall Sender

Greg,

Cheers

Theo

Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Hall Sende

Les

I can now confirm that the T4/Golf Hall sender works on the MV distributor.

Bosch Number:  1 237 031 296

VAG Number:     030 905 065.

Les

Thanks Les. Good work. Did you replace the hall sender on your dissy? If so was it as tricky as we are led to believe?

Sorry we had to get Harts back but I had to get back on the road. Have a new one on its way from GoWesty and I have already sent off my old one so I can get the deposit back.

Cheers, Peter from Port

Peter,

In August last year, I moved from Melbourne to Uralla.  Driving up, I got to Tomingley, just south of Dubbo, and stopped for fuel.  Filled up and – no start!!!   Roadside analysis suggested that the Hall sender had quit.  This was mid-afternoon on a Saturday and I had Buckley’s of getting a replacement sooner than the middle of the next week.

To cut a painful and very expensive story short, I got it trucked to Uralla and the fun and games of trying to find parts started. 

Fast forward to now.  After finally learning that the T4/Golf sender should work on the T3 distributor, I have replaced the failed sender.  Hartmut managed to find a Bosch distributor shaft seal but I still lack a retainer for the dog drive pin.  The search continues!

After making a total goat of myself by installing the dog drive 180 degrees out of position, it is now running again! 

All that I have to deal with now is the intermittent miss that it has developed . . . 

Les

It’s so hard to get them running anywhere like new Les. An impossible task maybe? They are 25 years old of course!! Mine still is not right but at least I am on the road. We will keep trying to get it right. I have trawled every internet site there is I reckon. Been quite a learning experience.

Peter

Les, the retainer is the same on any VW distributor made over the last three-quarters of a century, so it shouldn't be too hard to find a good second-hand one.

All it does is keep the pin in place so it doesn't score and snag the alloy housing, and potentially make the distributor impossible to remove.

A fine key-ring would serve the same purpose, as long as the OD was smaller than the shaft.

The "O" ring is also the same as the air-cooled models.

Roger Bayley.

Roger,

Moving from Melbourne has its downside when it comes to sourcing parts.  Armidale is not all that well served.  Worse still is a general lack of knowledge.  Repco in Armidale assured me that I needed only any old O ring for the shaft seal – an OD well short of the ID of the shaft bore didn’t bother them!

Every place that I contacted wanted part numbers, year models, etc, and got a bit hostile when I said that every air cooled VW engine since the year dot used the same seal!  Apparently, they had never heard of such commonality.  The few second-hand places in Armidale were of no help.

As a temporary measure, I cut some NITTO self-fusing butyl rubber tape and wound it into the recess.  This worked and Hartmut has since found a new one and sent it on to me.

I have used a couple of turns of soft tie wire to act as a retainer for the drive pin.

Les

Sent: 06 July 2015 20:27
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Hall Sender

Les, the retainer is the same on any VW distributor made over the last three-quarters of a century, so it shouldn't be too hard to find a good second-hand one.

All it does is keep the pin in place so it doesn't score and snag the alloy housing, and potentially make the distributor impossible to remove.

A fine key-ring would serve the same purpose, as long as the OD was smaller than the shaft.

The "O" ring is also the same as the air-cooled models.

Roger Bayley.

Les. I got those seals from Tooleys in Sydney who have been just fabulous for T25 parts. Can’t recommend them enough. It is so good speaking to guys who know exactly what you are talking about and they can find part numbers very quickly if you don’t have them. I usually get the numbers first and then the process is very quick. And they deliver overnight through Aust Post. I am a fan as you can see.

Peter