Hello

Hello Australia, I am Don Johnson from the states. I own a 1990
Westfalia Syncro and a 1990 Doublecab. Great to have an Austalian
site! I also have the doublecab site
<syncrodoublecabs@yahoogroups.com> come visit. You guys have great
things to look forward to, we are just over a year old.

DJ
Hi All,

My name is Norbert.

After many years of searching on and off (and some influence from Mark Kofahl) I finally bought a 1990 Trakka Bronco Syncro. I bought it in WA and my family and I recently drove it the 5,800kms back to Brisbane.

We hope to have many adventures in it and look forward to catching up with like-minded Syncro owners. We hope to get to Nambucca this year. Incidentally it was our return to Nambucca 2 years ago after an absence of 15 years that re-ignited the search for a Syncro Trakka.

This is the sixth VW in our current collection which includes a 1971 911, 2008 Octavia 4x4, a 1979 GTi, a 1996 Vento and a 1998 Polo. The Vento will have to go unfortunately.

Over the 5,800km trip home I did a lot of thinking about improving the Syncro. In the end I am going to leave it as VW intended, just adding power steering, cruise control, rear diff lock (has decoupler already) and 15" Mefros with some decent off-road tyres.

Regards,

Norbert.

Hi Norbert,

Welcome to this Syncro forum. Here, you will find a lot of helpfull Syncronauts.

You certainly have an interesting collection of VW's.

I'm suprised a '90 Syncro has no power-steering.

Cheers,

Theo

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Sunday, 18 May 2014 4:28 PM
To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Hello

Hi All,

My name is Norbert.

After many years of searching on and off (and some influence from Mark Kofahl) I finally bought a 1990 Trakka Bronco Syncro. I bought it in WA and my family and I recently drove it the 5,800kms back to Brisbane.

We hope to have many adventures in it and look forward to catching up with like-minded Syncro owners. We hope to get to Nambucca this year. Incidentally it was our return to Nambucca 2 years ago after an absence of 15 years that re-ignited the search for a Syncro Trakka.

This is the sixth VW in our current collection which includes a 1971 911, 2008 Octavia 4x4, a 1979 GTi, a 1996 Vento and a 1998 Polo. The Vento will have to go unfortunately.

Over the 5,800km trip home I did a lot of thinking about improving the Syncro. In the end I am going to leave it as VW intended, just adding power steering, cruise control, rear diff lock (has decoupler already) and 15" Mefros with some decent off-road tyres.

Regards,

Norbert.

Hay Norbert,

Les our forum director/God is collecting information on syncro vin chassis number in Australia.

When you get a chance please post yours.

Power steering is easily available.

I have a mate that has a full set for sale including pump pulley and brackets, reservoir and all the important steering components from a 2wd - I assume that works?

I will ask him if he still has it and how much.

Cheers,

Skot

On 18/05/2014 4:28 PM, norbert.schlick@yahoo.com.au [Syncro_T3_Australia] wrote:

Hi All,

My name is Norbert.

Regards,

Norbert.

Actually Norbert,

There is a guy in Brisvegas who has a complete power steering set for $450 in good working condition and complete according to the add on the Kombi Club.

Its a lot closer to home than NSW Central Coast.

The add states:

"...Complete power steering setup (fully tested and working, complete system removed and pipes sealed at the ends to keep clean, includes 3v pulley, pump, reservoir and bracket, belts, hoses and lines, hard lines, joiners, power steer rack, tie rod ends, all nuts, bolts, linkages, steering box, universal joints, rubbers, clips and everything ready to bolt on to a non p/s vehicle) $450 the lot...."

"...Happy to post or courier smaller stuff anywhere at cost or pick up Caboolture or Brisbane City by arrangement.
Contact me by either PM or email...."

I will try and get a contact email or number if you are interested?

Cheers,

Skot

On 18/05/2014 8:29 PM, Theo Weiss teows@melbpc.org.au [Syncro_T3_Australia] wrote:

Hi Norbert,

Welcome to this Syncro forum. Here, you will find a lot of helpfull Syncronauts.

Cheers,

Theo

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com]

Hi All,

My name is Norbert.

Regards,

Norbert.

Hi Skot,

Yes I am interested. So could you please pass on the contact details of the seller.

I wonder if the seller also has the the cruise control bits. Were these common on the Caravelles?

I had looked into installing electric power steering as these are easily available for the T3 from the UK but am unsure about the legality / insurance implications.

Cheers,

Norbert.
Norbert,

My dad had his converted from non power steering to power steering by a mechanic about 6 years ago - seemed to be no trouble. His syncro was a 1992 model - so clearly it was an option in window transporters as well as panel vans - yet Telstra in their wisdom required that all vans had power steering.

I will chase up the guy and see what he says.

Cheers,

Skot

On 19/05/2014 12:40 PM, norbert.schlick@yahoo.com.au [Syncro_T3_Australia] wrote:

Hi Skot,

Yes I am interested. So could you please pass on the contact details of the seller.

I wonder if the seller also has the the cruise control bits. Were these common on the Caravelles?

I had looked into installing electric power steering as these are easily available for the T3 from the UK but am unsure about the legality / insurance implications.

Cheers,

Norbert.

Sorry Norbert,

He says its sold.

Was only $400 too.

Shame.

I will ask around at the Nationals this weekend if I go - see if anything pops up.

Cheers,

Skot

On 19/05/2014 12:40 PM, norbert.schlick@yahoo.com.au [Syncro_T3_Australia] wrote:

Hi Skot,

Cheers,

Norbert.

Thanks Skot I would appreciate that.

Say hello to Stephen Butler at the Nationals for me (DoKa Jagdwagen).

Norbert.
Hi Theo,
My '90 also has no P/S and from what I understand, it's not unusual for OZ syncros.

Interesting for me last year when I discovered a marked improvement in ease of low speed turning after fitting BFG A/T tread pattern tyres.

In my view VWs functionality of its manual steering works very well for the bulk of typical OZ driving, perhaps with only one exception ... steering offroad in difficult conditions.

Being P/S free, offers one less system to fail and doesn't "mask" the presence of an aggressive VC.
Cheers.
Ken

Sent from my Samsung GALAXY S4

-------- Original message --------
From: "Theo Weiss teows@melbpc.org.au [Syncro_T3_Australia]"
Date:18/05/2014 7:59 PM (GMT+09:30)

Subject: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Hello

Hi Norbert,

Cheers,

Theo

Hi All,

My name is Norbert.

Regards,

Norbert.

Hi Ken,

I didn't know it was an optinal thing, I thought that it was determind when it was build.

I got talking to another T3 2WD driver the other day, and he is quite happy with

his no P.S. set-up. He just mentioned that he is driving with a higher tyre pressure.

The Power Steering, Starter Motor & Front Diff. are the only items left, not being worked on.

So all you Syncronauts out there help me keep my fingers crossed.

Cheers,

Theo

Sent: Wednesday, 21 May 2014 12:58 AM
To: Syncro _T3_Australia forum

Hi Theo,

My '90 also has no P/S and from what I understand, it's not unusual for OZ syncros.

Interesting for me last year when I discovered a marked improvement in ease of low speed turning after fitting BFG A/T tread pattern tyres.

In my view VWs functionality of its manual steering works very well for the bulk of typical OZ driving, perhaps with only one exception ... steering offroad in difficult conditions.

Being P/S free, offers one less system to fail and doesn't "mask" the presence of an aggressive VC.

Cheers.

Ken

Hi Theo,

I'd say typically, dependant solely upon which syncro model an original buyer selected would have pre-determined whether factory fitted P/S was or was not present.
Cheers.
Ken

-------- Original message --------
From: "Theo Weiss teows@melbpc.org.au [Syncro_T3_Australia]"
Date:21/05/2014 9:24 PM (GMT+09:30)

Hi Ken,

I didn't know it was an optinal thing, I thought that it was determind when it was build.

I got talking to another T3  2WD  driver  the other day, and he is quite happy with

his no P.S. set-up. He just mentioned that he is driving with a higher tyre pressure.

The Power Steering, Starter Motor & Front Diff. are the only items  left,  not being worked on.

So all you Syncronauts out there help me keep my fingers crossed.

Cheers,

Theo

Sent: Wednesday, 21 May 2014 12:58 AM
To: Syncro _T3_Australia forum

Hi Theo,

Cheers.

Ken

Hello all in the Syncro world. Just saying hi and introducing myself.

I have a Syncro (caravelle) which I have owned for a few years now, so thought it would be good to join in (thanks for your help Scott/Les!!)

I'm only new to Syncro's, but have been a long time VW owner (long string of air cooled VW's), so all this water cooling and EFI stuff still baffles me a little!

Hopefully I will not ask too many silly questions in my quest to keep the Syncro on the road!

Richard

Welcome Richard,
I progressively cut my self off from air cooled VW's a long time ago, although the B36 "wannabe" with it's 3.6 Porsche engine is very reliant on oil cooling to supplement the air.
I had a fleet of water cooled and loved them all and after 22 years just discovering the limitations of syncro performance.
They don't like colloidal mud and there are some sand hills that I cannot make mine climb.

You will find your fellow Syncronaughts a very helpful vertitable mine of information.
Peter

--Original Message Text---
Date: 28 Sep 2014 07:07:46 -0700

I have a Syncro (caravelle) which I have owned for a few years now, so thought it would be good to join in (thanks for your help Scott/Les!!)

I'm only new to Syncro's, but have been a long time VW owner (long string of air cooled VW's), so all this water cooling and EFI stuff still baffles me a little!

Hopefully I will not ask too many silly questions in my quest to keep the Syncro on the road!

Richard

Thanks for the welcome. It will be along time before weening off the air cooled, I have a few on club rego for now.

I have given our syncro a few fun trips, and must say as a non 4WD person I have been impressed with what it can do being an AWD system.

I have had our T2 on many a challenging track, but have tackled things in the syncro I would not have tried in the t2

---In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, <peter@...> wrote :

Welcome Richard,
I progressively cut my self off from air cooled VW's a long time ago, although the B36 "wannabe" with it's 3.6 Porsche engine is very reliant on oil cooling to supplement the air.
I had a fleet of water cooled and loved them all and after 22 years just discovering the limitations of syncro performance.
They don't like colloidal mud and there are some sand hills that I cannot make mine climb.

You will find your fellow Syncronaughts a very helpful vertitable mine of information.
Peter

Richard

I still have that love for the old aircooled VW donks which is hard to break but the syncro is such a capable vehicle that is so versatile that you just cant go past it (despite its all too often gearbox quirks).

Cheers,

Skot

On 29/09/2014 10:51 PM, cathrich1@yahoo.com.au [Syncro_T3_Australia] wrote:

Thanks for the welcome. It will be along time before weening off the air cooled, I have a few on club rego for now.

I have given our syncro a few fun trips, and must say as a non 4WD person I have been impressed with what it can do being an AWD system.

I have had our T2 on many a challenging track, but have tackled things in the syncro I would not have tried in the t2

---In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, <peter@...> wrote :

Welcome Richard,

Peter

Richard