Help with buy my first syncro

Hello, I am looking to buy my first Syncro and looking for some help in seeing if it is a good one for my family? It is currently on ebay at Thornleigh. I looked at it before it was on ebay and would like some help in making sure it will be reliable. It is an old Telstra Van I think and has been owned for the last 15 years with the same owner in his 60's that started to convert it to a camper? I am interested to see if anyone can help me. The Syncro took a long time to start when I test drove her and she has some oil leak? it seemed to drive okay but need help soon in making my decision before it is gone?

Rego:BM58XJ
Engine Number: MV080065
VIN (Vehicle Identification Number): WV2ZZZ25ZLG110984

Thanks,

Leighton

Do any of our resident Sydney Syncro spotters have any knowledge of this one?

Leighton is a new member and lives in Springwood.

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of l8nnmsmith
Sent: 23 November 2011 12:55
To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Help with buy my first Syncro

Hello, I am looking to buy my first Syncro and looking for some help in seeing if it is a good one for my family? It is currently on ebay at Thornleigh. I looked at it before it was on ebay and would like some help in making sure it will be reliable. It is an old Telstra Van I think and has been owned for the last 15 years with the same owner in his 60's that started to convert it to a camper? I am interested to see if anyone can help me. The Syncro took a long time to start when I test drove her and she has some oil leak? it seemed to drive okay but need help soon in making my decision before it is gone?

Rego:BM58XJ
Engine Number: MV080065
VIN (Vehicle Identification Number): WV2ZZZ25ZLG110984

Thanks,

Leighton

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "l8nnmsmith" <smith_leighton@...> wrote:
>
Hi Leighton. Oil leaks, hard to start. 'Alarm bells' When in doubt about a very expensive motor such as the vw 2.1 wbx it would be wise to assume worst case scenerio(MOTOR REBUILD) Factor in $6,000. Most gearboxes at this age will need attension. If no evidence of rebuild factor in $4,000. Worn VC $2,000. An improperley maintained syncro is a money pit, a good one a money pit(no a joy). Do your homework which you seem to be doing contacting this group for guidance, and you won't get stung. Good luck and don't rush,they come up all the time. Bill.
Hello Bill,

Thanks for the advice and support. Sorry I do not know much about syncros and the dealer that showed it to did not know anything. I was woundering if he was starting it the way it should start.

Thanks,

Leighton

Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 06:46:45 +0000
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Help with buy my first syncro

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "l8nnmsmith" <smith_leighton@...> wrote:
>
Hi Leighton. Oil leaks, hard to start. 'Alarm bells' When in doubt about a very expensive motor such as the vw 2.1 wbx it would be wise to assume worst case scenerio(MOTOR REBUILD) Factor in $6,000. Most gearboxes at this age will need attension. If no evidence of rebuild factor in $4,000. Worn VC $2,000. An improperley maintained syncro is a money pit, a good one a money pit(no a joy). Do your homework which you seem to be doing contacting this group for guidance, and you won't get stung. Good luck and don't rush,they come up all the time. Bill.

Leighton,

The MV engine is run by an ECU so all you do is turn the key.   If it hasn’t been run for sometime, there are a few things that need a good run to clear out.

Beyond that, if you know nothing about Syncros, there is a very good case for learning as much as you can before buying one.  Within reasonable travelling distance from where you live are quite a few Syncro owners.   A good start might be to visit several of them and start learning from owners and some conducted tours around their Syncros.

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of Leighton Smith
Sent: 23 November 2011 21:17
To: syncro_t3_australia@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Help with buy my first syncro

Hello Bill,

Thanks for the advice and support. Sorry I do not know much about syncros and the dealer that showed it to did not know anything. I was woundering if he was starting it the way it should start.

Thanks,

Leighton

Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 06:46:45 +0000
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Help with buy my first syncro

>

Hello Les,

Thanks for the advice. I know VW bettles, bay windows and heaps about Subaru but not the T3 Syncro yet. Yes I would like to know more and please inform me if there is a run/meet. The Syncro I looked at took about 5min to kick over but the dealer might have done something wrong or has been sitting for a long time?

Thanks,

Leighton

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "Les Harris" <leslieharris@...> wrote:
>
> Leighton,
>
> The MV engine is run by an ECU so all you do is turn the key. If it hasn't
> been run for sometime, there are a few things that need a good run to clear
> out.
>
> Beyond that, if you know nothing about Syncros, there is a very good case
> for learning as much as you can before buying one. Within reasonable
> travelling distance from where you live are quite a few Syncro owners. A
> good start might be to visit several of them and start learning from owners
> and some conducted tours around their Syncros.
>
> Les
>
> _____
>
> From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Leighton Smith
> Sent: 23 November 2011 21:17
> To: syncro_t3_australia@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Help with buy my first syncro
>
>
>
> Hello Bill,
>
> Thanks for the advice and support. Sorry I do not know much about syncros
> and the dealer that showed it to did not know anything. I was woundering if
> he was starting it the way it should start.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Leighton
>
>
> _____
>
> To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> From: marg_bill@...
> Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 06:46:45 +0000
> Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Help with buy my first syncro