Intermittent engine problem wbx 2.1

Hi All,

I need some help.
My syncro's been having an intermittent engine problem.
It started with the engine sounding rough upon start about a month ago.
This would then clear up with a little driving.
Then it wouldn't be rough next morning or the next.
Then it would have a moments when I'd pull up to stop and the engine would start revving high.
Other times I'm driving and I start to lose power like running out of fuel, running rough and missing.
Occasionally it stalls when there is this power loss, then when attempting restart the engine just turns over and over and doesn't even kick.
I have worked out now that if I keep my foot to the floor and just keep turning it over it eventually starts.
Then when it does it runs really rough and there is strong fuel smell.
It's almost like flooding.
Then it may or may not clear up and run like normal.
I have put in a new fuel filter and air filter.
The plugs are a couple of months old
I have tried swapping:
computer
Air flow meter
idle control unit.

I thought I had it sussed when I went to replace the idle control unit behind the drivers tail light only to find the cutest home made out the insulation from under my engine lid.
The little bugger had chewed the cover off 5 wires leading to the idle control unit, leaving them half bare.
So i covered the wires with electrical tape and it ran well for half a day and I felt great and then it started again.
Has anything like this happened to anyone?
Any suggestions of what i should swap next?

Thanks in Advance
Paul Dumais
Byron Bay

Hi Paul,

Remember the red DC when I we visited B/B ?  We had the identical problems for many weeks, I installed a new Coil plus Sp/plugs plus leads and it worked for an hour . I asked Steve Mueller at the time he send me a temp sender, the one below the thermostat housing that fixed it for me. I believe Bentleys gives you more info on this.

Good luck,   Hartmut

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of paul.dumais@ymail.com
Sent: Thursday, 16 June 2011 6:15 PM
To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Intermittent engine problem wbx 2.1

Hi All,

I need some help.
Then it would have a moments when I'd pull up to stop and the engine would start revving high.
Other times I'm driving and I start to lose power like running out of fuel, running rough and missing.
Occasionally it stalls when there is this power loss, then when attempting restart the engine just turns over and over and doesn't even kick.
I have worked out now that if I keep my foot to the floor and just keep turning it over it eventually starts.
I have tried swapping:
computer
Air flow meter
idle control unit.

I thought I had it sussed when I went to replace the idle control unit behind the drivers tail light only to find the cutest home made out the insulation from under my engine lid.
The little bugger had chewed the cover off 5 wires leading to the idle control unit, leaving them half bare.
So i covered the wires with electrical tape and it ran well for half a day and I felt great and then it started again.

Thanks in Advance
Paul Dumais
Byron Bay

Paul,

Sounds a bit like "vanagon syndrome", then again so many engine running problems do.
Anyway, if you haven't got on board one of these yet, I suggest you buy it now and install it ....

May also involve your oxygen sensor going faulty, may also indicate an intermittent fault due to a loose/breaking wire somewhere in the wiring harness, may also be iffy fuel injector seals, may also have something to do with a lack of TLC on the myriad of earthing links/cables. Replacing the temp2 sensor on the thermostat housing as Hartmut said is always a good thing to do. Be sure to use only genuine original VW spark plug leads, these are straight copper wire core leads. Never replace them with anything different. Often a clue is recent work that may have been done badly or wrong parts installed. 

This isn't a solution, but when it's playing up, try disconnecting the large green wire of your oxygen sensor, it may get you your engine stability back as a temporary fix to get you home, but doing that, it will run rich.

There's also the free VW 20F3 recall, if your van is eligible, depending upon your VIN number and original engine is still installed.

These are just a few random thoughts. There's plenty of articles around the web about syncro engine running issues, you may glean some more ideas.

Cheers.

Ken

Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 08:15:13 +0000

Hi All,

I need some help.
I have tried swapping:
computer
Air flow meter
idle control unit.

Thanks in Advance
Paul Dumais
Byron Bay

i have had the same problem with the temp/sender, blows black smoke,stalls, will not start untill it cools down. the sender is a special unit for the syncro the 2wd ones are different i carry a spare all the time       bob
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, June 16, 2011 7:39 PM
Subject: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Intermittent engine problem wbx 2.1

Hi Paul,

Remember the red DC when I we visited B/B ?  We had the identical problems for many weeks, I installed a new Coil plus Sp/plugs plus leads and it worked for an hour . I asked Steve Mueller at the time he send me a temp sender, the one below the thermostat housing that fixed it for me. I believe Bentleys gives you more info on this.

Good luck,   Hartmut

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of paul.dumais@ymail.com
Sent: Thursday, 16 June 2011 6:15 PM

Hi All,

I need some help.
I have tried swapping:
computer
Air flow meter
idle control unit.

Thanks in Advance
Paul Dumais
Byron Bay

Thanks Hartmut, Ken and Bob,

I replaced the temp sender this morning, no problems since, fingers crossed.
You guys rule.

Paul Dumais
Aerospace Engineer
Hi All,

So now with a few 100 km's of driving under my belt since replacing the temp sender on the thermostat I can stop holding my breath and crossing my fingers.
No more problems, what a simple fix.
I wish I'd asked advice earlier and saved myself a month of grief.
Thank you so much.
Now I can get back to focusing on the front end, I have upper ball joints, tie rod ends and a steering rack boot waiting to be put on.

Cheers
Paul Dumais
Byron Bay

Hi Paul,

I’m glad the advice has worked as it did for me at the time. We are up your way  20th  for a dentist appointment and stay for 2 nights. What about lunch or dinner ? Will contact you closer to the trip.

Hartmut

Sent: Friday, 1 July 2011 9:28 AM
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Intermittent engine problem wbx 2.1

Hi All,

So now with a few 100 km's of driving under my belt since replacing the temp sender on the thermostat I can stop holding my breath and crossing my fingers.
No more problems, what a simple fix.
I wish I'd asked advice earlier and saved myself a month of grief.
Thank you so much.
Now I can get back to focusing on the front end, I have upper ball joints, tie rod ends and a steering rack boot waiting to be put on.

Cheers
Paul Dumais
Byron Bay