Locking diff question

Hi Guys,

I am about to put a locking diff into my non-locking ex-telstra syncro. Can I put in the locking diff, without all the vacuum plumbing etc, and drive around (with the diff unlocked?) and install the vacuum plumbing at a later date??

Also, any other tips (for my mechanic, not going to take this one on myself) on putting the diff / gearbox in?

Thanks! Sam.

Sam,

The collar inside the diff that does the engage/disengage is spring loaded in the open position, so you can drive the vehicle without any of the actuating parts – vac lines, etc.

Are you fitting a replacement locking gearbox or are you fitting the diff lock mechanism to an existing non-locking box?

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of heysamuelarnold
Sent: 02 July 2010 10:19
To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Locking diff question

Hi Guys,

I am about to put a locking diff into my non-locking ex-telstra syncro. Can I put in the locking diff, without all the vacuum plumbing etc, and drive around (with the diff unlocked?) and install the vacuum plumbing at a later date??
Also, any other tips (for my mechanic, not going to take this one on myself) on putting the diff / gearbox in?
Thanks! Sam.

sure you can ..
just make sure it's in the 'diff unlocked' mode ...and you're fine.

tips on swapping a syncro gearbox in and out ..
sure, here's one ..
don't try to take the trans directly off the engine, until you lower the rear of the engine a little, then remove starter, 'then' ....remove trans directly from engine.  
Makes it quite easy.
just leaving the rear of the engine fully up...the starter hangs up horribly on the fuel tank...
so lower rear of engine a little first, remove starter ...then it's easy to remove trans, leaving engine in and mostly pretty hooked up yet. 
Scott

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, July 01, 2010 5:18 PM

Hi Guys,

Thanks! Sam.

Hi Sam.

Is your syncro an ex telstra van without any diff locks?
 Is a locking diff different from the standard syncro with diff locks? 

Regards

Michael

Sent: Fri, 2 July, 2010 10:18:43 AM

Hi Guys,

Thanks! Sam.

Michael,

The Telecom vans had no diff locks but I have heard that a small number, as used by Telecom supervisors, had front and rear locks.

The “locking diff” referred to is the standard diff lock as produced and fitted by VAG.

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of Michael Rayner
Sent: 02 July 2010 11:06
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Locking diff question

Hi Sam.

Is your syncro an ex telstra van without any diff locks?

Is a locking diff different from the standard syncro with diff locks? 

Regards

Michael.