Lower control arm bushes

Hi all, I am about to try to change the bushes in the lower control arms so would like to know if any one has done these and if they have any tips on changing them, and advice on any special tools whether bought or home made.Thanks Eddie Bergodaz.
Gday Eddie,I have recently replaced front control arm bushes.
You have two choices,standard replacment,one-piece press in,like you have, or eurathane,2 piece.
Without any doubt,I believe the latter is the way to go.I bought mine from Stuart,Syncro Hospital in South Africa,I think they were about $80.
To get the old ones out,you need to,cut enough rubber from the bush,so that you can use a,big socket,a nut and bolt and washers,to pull the old bush through.Once it is out about half way,you can hit it out with a punch,if you want.
Then put a bit of grease on the eurathane bushes,pop them in,then bolt the arm back up.
You will need to remove the shock bolt and lower the sway-bar.
I did have trouble aligning one-side bottom control-arm bolt,2-persons and a lever bar was necessary.
If you choose standard replacement bushes you will need to,remove the lower control-arm,to press the new ones in.
Then get a front and rear wheel allignment.I hope this helps you.
--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "bergodaz" <bergodaz@...> wrote:
>
> Hi all, I am about to try to change the bushes in the lower control arms so would like to know if any one has done these and if they have any tips on changing them, and advice on any special tools whether bought or home made.Thanks Eddie Bergodaz.
>
Here's another alternative. For US$75. Comes with everything you need. No recycling of old parts:
Looks like Burley's webpage is acting up because the photos are not showing up.
I'll send him an email to make sure he turns on whatever is causing this problem.
It's 3:04am here. He may not enjoy getting a phone call from me before breakfast.
His forte is not webpage building. He skipped that in school and spent most of his
time in shop class.
BenT

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 1:22 AM, bencroft96 <bencroft96@yahoo.com> wrote:
Gday Eddie,I have recently replaced front control arm bushes.
You have two choices,standard replacment,one-piece press in,like you have, or eurathane,2 piece.
Without any doubt,I believe the latter is the way to go.I bought mine from Stuart,Syncro Hospital in South Africa,I think they were about $80.
To get the old ones out,you need to,cut enough rubber from the bush,so that you can use a,big socket,a nut and bolt and washers,to pull the old bush through.Once it is out about half way,you can hit it out with a punch,if you want.
Then put a bit of grease on the eurathane bushes,pop them in,then bolt the arm back up.
You will need to remove the shock bolt and lower the sway-bar.
I did have trouble aligning one-side bottom control-arm bolt,2-persons and a lever bar was necessary.
If you choose standard replacement bushes you will need to,remove the lower control-arm,to press the new ones in.
Then get a front and rear wheel allignment.I hope this helps you.
--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "bergodaz" <bergodaz@...> wrote:
>
> Hi all, I am about to try to change the bushes in the lower control arms so would like to know if any one has done these and if they have any tips on changing them, and advice on any special tools whether bought or home made.Thanks Eddie Bergodaz.
>

Hey Ben,what old parts would you recycle?

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, BenT Syncro <syncro@...> wrote:
>
> Here's another alternative. For US$75. Comes with everything you need. No
> recycling of old parts:
>
> http://burleysmotorsports.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=6
>
> Looks like Burley's webpage is acting up because the photos are not showing
> up.
> I'll send him an email to make sure he turns on whatever is causing this
> problem.
> It's 3:04am here. He may not enjoy getting a phone call from me before
> breakfast.
> His forte is not webpage building. He skipped that in school and spent most
> of his
> time in shop class.
>
>
> BenT
>
>
> On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 1:22 AM, bencroft96 <bencroft96@...> wrote:
>
> > Gday Eddie,I have recently replaced front control arm bushes.
> > You have two choices,standard replacment,one-piece press in,like you have,
> > or eurathane,2 piece.
> > Without any doubt,I believe the latter is the way to go.I bought mine from
> > Stuart,Syncro Hospital in South Africa,I think they were about $80.
> > To get the old ones out,you need to,cut enough rubber from the bush,so that
> > you can use a,big socket,a nut and bolt and washers,to pull the old bush
> > through.Once it is out about half way,you can hit it out with a punch,if you
> > want.
> > Then put a bit of grease on the eurathane bushes,pop them in,then bolt the
> > arm back up.
> > You will need to remove the shock bolt and lower the sway-bar.
> > I did have trouble aligning one-side bottom control-arm bolt,2-persons and
> > a lever bar was necessary.
> > If you choose standard replacement bushes you will need to,remove the lower
> > control-arm,to press the new ones in.
> > Then get a front and rear wheel allignment.I hope this helps you.
> > --- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "bergodaz" <bergodaz@>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi all, I am about to try to change the bushes in the lower control arms
> > so would like to know if any one has done these and if they have any tips
> > on changing them, and advice on any special tools whether bought or home
> > made.Thanks Eddie Bergodaz.
> > >
> >
> >
> >
>
On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 4:27 AM, bencroft96 <bencroft96@yahoo.com> wrote:
Hey Ben,what old parts would you recycle?
My mistake, Ben. I scanned through your posting with truly READING. The earlier SA bushes required you to re-use the old sleeve. I bought a set of those some 10 years ago. I just looked at a box acquired about 6-7 years ago and it came with the steel sleeve.
BenT
Hi all,
Lower control arm bushes are worn , have ordered poly ones from Van Cafe
Any advice on removing the old ones would be much appreciated
Regards
Philippe
Haven't done it on a T3 but on a Peugeot I got a bolt of the right diameter and long enough to go through the existing
bush and the new one when aligned alongside end to end. Put a strong washer and nut on the other end then  voila tightening the nut should push out the old bush and in with the new. A good socket set with plenty of leverage helps  and perhaps even a little heat on the old bush if it is particularly difficult.
Good luck.
Roger
Melbourne 
To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, 5 September 2012 3:43 PM
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Lower control arm bushes

Hi all,
Regards
Philippe

If you cut the rubber washer off one side the old one will likely fall out.  Clean the bore of the hole in the arm with sand paper. The new ones are two piece but need to be coated in calcium sulfinate grease bearing grease. Greg E

Hi all,
Regards
Philippe

Phillipe - Better to take notice of Greg.
 I think I might be confusing my lower arm bushes. I should also have added if using my method that you also need to slot onto the bolt something like a tube socket , just bigger than the bush coming out so it can slide into it as pressure is applied by turning the nut on the other end of the bolt.
Roger
Melbourne

To: "Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com" <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, 5 September 2012 5:23 PM
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Lower control arm bushes

If you cut the rubber washer off one side the old one will likely fall out.  Clean the bore of the hole in the arm with sand paper. The new ones are two piece but need to be coated in calcium sulfinate grease bearing grease. Greg E

Hi all, Lower control arm bushes are worn , have ordered poly ones from Van Cafe Any advice on removing the old ones would be much appreciated Regards Philippe
Hi Philippe,
To add to the confusion, the attached file concerns an R&R procedure of the LCA bush. You may be interested.
Acknowledgments to the unknown author.
Cheers.
Ken

Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 05:43:40 +0000

Hi all,
Regards
Philippe

Thx to all for the advice , seems to get easier and easier

On 5 September 2012 15:23, greg esposito <gregespo73@yahoo.com> wrote:

If you cut the rubber washer off one side the old one will likely fall out. Clean the bore of the hole in the arm with sand paper. The new ones are two piece but need to be coated in calcium sulfinate grease bearing grease. Greg E

Hi all,
Regards
Philippe

--
Philippe Tyack
Mobile:+61450059162
Ken, I would not recommend following a repair procedure written by someone who rests a six foot crowbar on a brake line. Nor one who uses a sledge hammer to install a control arm. The only reason he needed the sledge is because he incorrectly installed the bush dry. Greg E

To: _T3_Australia forum Syncro <syncro_t3_australia@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, 5 September 2012 7:24 PM
Subject: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Lower control arm bushes

Hi Philippe,
To add to the confusion, the attached file concerns an R&R procedure of the LCA bush. You may be interested.
Cheers.
Ken

To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com From: philtyack@gmail.com Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 05:43:40 +0000 Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Lower control arm bushes  
Hi all, Lower control arm bushes are worn , have ordered poly ones from Van Cafe Any advice on removing the old ones would be much appreciated Regards Philippe

Hi Greg,

Rather, the unknown authors procedure is deserving of recognition and appreciation, not condemned in its entirety, simply for the few points you raise. Instead, the procedure is worthy of improvement in those areas, for the benefit of us all. I can send you the Word doc version, perhaps you might improve on it and send it back please.

The bulk of syncro owners willing to have a go at carrying out such a procedure would, in my view, appreciate reading this guys procedure, only too glad for having it, glean ideas from it and be all the better for it. 

Essentially what the guy has done has filled in the blanks that users of Bentley manual know all too well and continue to frustrate as "assumed knowledge".

From my time on syncro forums here and elsewhere, it takes some guts by all too few members to carry out a procedure, learn from it, take a considerable amount of time and effort to write it up, take many photos, compile the whole lot into a file and then upload it for free to the syncro community. Then sit back and cop the flack from armchair jockeys. Sad really.

I say vale the unknown author.

Cheers.

Ken

Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 16:19:55 -0700

Ken, I would not recommend following a repair procedure written by someone who rests a six foot crowbar on a brake line. Nor one who uses a sledge hammer to install a control arm. The only reason he needed the sledge is because he incorrectly installed the bush dry. Greg E

Hi Philippe,
Cheers.
Ken

To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com From: philtyack@gmail.com Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 05:43:40 +0000 Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Lower control arm bushes  

Greg is a skilled mechanic and is making the observations of a skilled mechanic, to wit, crowbars and sledge hammers are not tools that one would recommend for changing a small bush and that lubricating the bush is standard procedure for insertion.

These are valid observations, not criticism.

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Ken Garratt
Sent: 06 September 2012 11:03
To: _T3_Australia forum Syncro

Hi Greg,

Rather, the unknown authors procedure is deserving of recognition and appreciation, not condemned in its entirety, simply for the few points you raise. Instead, the procedure is worthy of improvement in those areas, for the benefit of us all. I can send you the Word doc version, perhaps you might improve on it and send it back please.

The bulk of syncro owners willing to have a go at carrying out such a procedure would, in my view, appreciate reading this guys procedure, only too glad for having it, glean ideas from it and be all the better for it. 

Essentially what the guy has done has filled in the blanks that users of Bentley manual know all too well and continue to frustrate as "assumed knowledge".

From my time on syncro forums here and elsewhere, it takes some guts by all too few members to carry out a procedure, learn from it, take a considerable amount of time and effort to write it up, take many photos, compile the whole lot into a file and then upload it for free to the syncro community. Then sit back and cop the flack from armchair jockeys. Sad really.

Cheers.

Ken

Hi Philippe,

Cheers.

Ken

To which I have offered Greg the editable file to correct and then redistribute, for the benefit of us all.

Ken

Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2012 11:25:36 +1000

Greg is a skilled mechanic and is making the observations of a skilled mechanic, to wit, crowbars and sledge hammers are not tools that one would recommend for changing a small bush and that lubricating the bush is standard procedure for insertion.

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Ken Garratt

Hi Greg,

Cheers.

Ken

Hi Philippe,

Cheers.

Ken

Ken, on one point I agree with you. That being that when a syncro owner offers his time to document experience or help fellow owners in any way, it is a truly wonderful and benevolent thing. I disagree with you, in that, I don't believe documenting and sharing poor, rough or technically incorrect procedures to the community is of any benefit. In fact it is detrimental. Someone is likely to follow this guys instructions literally and end up with a chewed up or squawking bush or worst still a damaged brake hose.
As regards to editing this pdf. I have no time to do so. I have two children I look after full time, a part time job, a wife working full time shift work, a house half renovated and a syncro engine in bits. I am happy at any time how ever to offer assistance to any one on the list who asks. Signed Arm Chair Jockey (with 24 years experience in the motor industry)

Sent: Thursday, 6 September 2012 11:37 AM

To which I have offered Greg the editable file to correct and then redistribute, for the benefit of us all.

Ken
To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com From: leslieharris@optusnet.com.au Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2012 11:25:36 +1000 Subject: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Lower control arm bushes  
Les

Hi Greg,

Cheers.

Ken

Hi Philippe,
Cheers.
Ken

That's the guy that tightened the wheel nuts on my Doka!

> greg esposito <gregespo73@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Ken, I would not recommend following a repair procedure written by
> someone who rests a six foot crowbar on a brake line. Nor one who uses a
> sledge hammer to install a control arm. The only reason he needed the
> sledge is because he incorrectly installed the bush dry. Greg E
>
>
>
> ________________________________
> From: Ken Garratt <unclekenz@hotmail.com>
> To: _T3_Australia forum Syncro <syncro_t3_australia@yahoogroups.com>
> Sent: Wednesday, 5 September 2012 7:24 PM
> Subject: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Lower control arm bushes
>
> ����
>
> Hi Philippe,
> To add to the confusion, the attached file concerns an R&R procedure of
> the LCA bush. You may be interested.
> Acknowledgments to the unknown author.
> Cheers.
> Ken
>
>
>
>
> ________________________________
> To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.comFrom: philtyack@gmail.comDate:
> Wed, 5 Sep 2012 05:43:40 +0000Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Lower
> control arm bushes ����
> Hi all, Lower control arm bushes are worn , have ordered poly ones from
> Van Cafe Any advice on removing the old ones would be much appreciated