Mid Nth Coast Syncro Adventures/ Mis-adventures Christmas 2010

Just a couple of photos attached to show my recent camping trip after another successful trip up the Point Plommer Rd to Crescent Head from Port Macquarie Car ferry. We had to help out an 80 series landcruiser who stalled in one of the many lakes you need to drive through along this goat track. He went into the water so hard he ripped his number plate off - what a goose!

Anyway we had a great time with the princesses @ Crescent apart from Allanah cutting her knee really deep creating a need to dash to Kempsey Base Hospital for some repairs. Some reasonably good surf (amazing I managed to squeeze in 6 surfs in my 10 days away - the water was 22 degrees - awesome).

Then on the way back my syncro was cruising along between Crescent & Kempsey (for about 10kms) @ 100km/hr with full power on tap then suddenly - nothing the engine shut down instantly. We waited 2hrs for a tow on a 34 degree day - lucky we had shade and a water tank full of the precious stuff.

Then we borrowed the not very loved hippie syncro from Hart Motors (he has an abundance of syncros on his riverside property - where we were planning to camp the night anyway). We continued to holiday and I managed to collect my tent etc from Crescent in the hippie - thanks again Hart.

Then we had a great day with a few syncros including Hart's collection, Ben C (just fresh from Hat Head in his newly re-powered suby syncro), Anni & Pete from Port in their stylish camper syncro and us borrowing the hippie syncro.

A great chat, a quick BBQ & a tour saw a great day in nice warm weather.

Thanks Hart for hosting!

Then finally the trip home in the air conditioned tow truck.

Lets all do it again next year (without breakdowns hopefully).

Cheers & Happy New Year to all syncro nutters.

Skot
& the Princesses

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, January 06, 2011 9:09 AM
Subject: Re: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] No low beam

No, the basic electrical system is the same worldwide.

Here is how you can avoid the problem;

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~pjlander/Headlights.htm

Phill

> BenT Syncro <syncro@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The T3's delivered to the US and North America do not have headlight
> relays.
>
> Seems you are saying OZ T3's came with a headlight relay. If that's the
> case then I stand corrected.
>
>
> BenT
>
> Sent from my relayless headlights
>
> On Jan 5, 2011, at 1:45 PM, "Mr Scott Pitcher"
> <spbconsulting@bigpond.com> wrote:
>
> >
> >
> > Peter,
> >
> > Have you tried the headlight relay. They fit into the fuse box area
> and are a square box with about 5 pins from memory. They are fairly
> cheap.
> >
> > Also check your earths - syncros rattle around a lot on corrugated
> roads and earths can come loose.
> >
> > Best of luck.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Skot
> >
> > ----- Original Message -----
> > From: Peter
> > To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> > Sent: Thursday, January 06, 2011 8:37 AM
> > Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] No low beam
> >
> >
> > Hello
> >
> > I am an avid reader of the posts but this is only the second time I
> have
> > posted.
> >
> > My beloved synchro has no lights. Low beam in particular.
> >
> > When I flick the light switch, I get parkers and can make the high
> beam
> > come on by holding the arm in on the steering column. When I release
> the
> > arm, the high beam goes off and I am left with parkers only.
> >
> > I have checked the fuses and they are not blown.
> >
> > Any assistance and/or guidance towarda previous relevant posts would
> be
> > greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thank you and wishing everyone a fantastic 2011!
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Peter
> >

Happy New year to all.
Got back from my annual summer holiday in Hat Head last night.Great holiday with friends and family,camping,swimming,fishing,surfing,golfing,drinking,relaxing,not working,Driving,kidding,(looking after kids).
The Syncro again out performed the convoy of my mates cars(I think),this year,there are two Surfs,a Prado,and two Rodeos.We did the Plomer run again on the 3rd,with only some small puddles,some soft sand and mild corragations,over two ferries and up Maria River road(where the bus comes into its own).
Russells trail provided some fun 2WD rallying down to Cresent Head for a pie and to catch up with Skot.
Hat Head beach to South West Rocks was unusualy soft,where my father in laws Surf was towed off by his sons Surf on the first day.A lesson for us all,use your vacuum operated 4WD systems regularly or they wont work when you need them.I offered to tow him off but he chose the Surf.(couldnt hack being towed of by a VW).
Hungary beach dead on low,was the place where Uncle Bens Kombi,was renamed,The Airbus,after a few full air jumps off small sand whooptees,where the rear wheels travelled 7 metres,front 10 metres in the air(stepped out).Awesome feeling!
Caught up with the Mid North Coasters on New Years Day at Harts for a great day(despite some incovieniences),next year bigger and better.
Over all I travelled 1604 kms used 169 litres of 98. The Subaru engine purred along nicely non stop.Highway driving is now a real pleasure,having real fun overtaking up hill,fully loaded.I have now travelled 6000ks since the conversion.
The road north to Kempsey from Sydney is almost there.Just Buladelah and Kempsey to by-pass now(maybe 5 years,10 if we are lucky!)
Spent most of today cleaning the outside and underneath.Tommorow inside and the outside polish.

Syncro out in front...again.Driving it how it should be driven.
BenC(not T).

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "Mr Scott Pitcher" <spbconsulting@...> wrote:
>
> Just a couple of photos attached to show my recent camping trip after another successful trip up the Point Plommer Rd to Crescent Head from Port Macquarie Car ferry. We had to help out an 80 series landcruiser who stalled in one of the many lakes you need to drive through along this goat track. He went into the water so hard he ripped his number plate off - what a goose!
>
> Anyway we had a great time with the princesses @ Crescent apart from Allanah cutting her knee really deep creating a need to dash to Kempsey Base Hospital for some repairs. Some reasonably good surf (amazing I managed to squeeze in 6 surfs in my 10 days away - the water was 22 degrees - awesome).
>
> Then on the way back my syncro was cruising along between Crescent & Kempsey (for about 10kms) @ 100km/hr with full power on tap then suddenly - nothing the engine shut down instantly. We waited 2hrs for a tow on a 34 degree day - lucky we had shade and a water tank full of the precious stuff.
>
> Then we borrowed the not very loved hippie syncro from Hart Motors (he has an abundance of syncros on his riverside property - where we were planning to camp the night anyway). We continued to holiday and I managed to collect my tent etc from Crescent in the hippie - thanks again Hart.
>
> Then we had a great day with a few syncros including Hart's collection, Ben C (just fresh from Hat Head in his newly re-powered suby syncro), Anni & Pete from Port in their stylish camper syncro and us borrowing the hippie syncro.
>
> A great chat, a quick BBQ & a tour saw a great day in nice warm weather.
>
> Thanks Hart for hosting!
>
> Then finally the trip home in the air conditioned tow truck.
>
> Lets all do it again next year (without breakdowns hopefully).
>
> Cheers & Happy New Year to all syncro nutters.
>
> Skot
> & the Princesses
>
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: plander@...
> To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> Sent: Thursday, January 06, 2011 9:09 AM
> Subject: Re: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] No low beam
>
>
>
> No, the basic electrical system is the same worldwide.
>
> Here is how you can avoid the problem;
>
> http://members.ozemail.com.au/~pjlander/Headlights.htm
>
> Phill
>
> > BenT Syncro <syncro@...> wrote:
> >
> > The T3's delivered to the US and North America do not have headlight
> > relays.
> >
> > Seems you are saying OZ T3's came with a headlight relay. If that's the
> > case then I stand corrected.
> >
> >
> > BenT
> >
> > Sent from my relayless headlights
> >
> > On Jan 5, 2011, at 1:45 PM, "Mr Scott Pitcher"
> > <spbconsulting@...> wrote:
> >
> > >
> > >
> > > Peter,
> > >
> > > Have you tried the headlight relay. They fit into the fuse box area
> > and are a square box with about 5 pins from memory. They are fairly
> > cheap.
> > >
> > > Also check your earths - syncros rattle around a lot on corrugated
> > roads and earths can come loose.
> > >
> > > Best of luck.
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > >
> > > Skot
> > >
> > > ----- Original Message -----
> > > From: Peter
> > > To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> > > Sent: Thursday, January 06, 2011 8:37 AM
> > > Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] No low beam
> > >
> > >
> > > Hello
> > >
> > > I am an avid reader of the posts but this is only the second time I
> > have
> > > posted.
> > >
> > > My beloved synchro has no lights. Low beam in particular.
> > >
> > > When I flick the light switch, I get parkers and can make the high
> > beam
> > > come on by holding the arm in on the steering column. When I release
> > the
> > > arm, the high beam goes off and I am left with parkers only.
> > >
> > > I have checked the fuses and they are not blown.
> > >
> > > Any assistance and/or guidance towarda previous relevant posts would
> > be
> > > greatly appreciated.
> > >
> > > Thank you and wishing everyone a fantastic 2011!
> > >
> > > Regards
> > >
> > > Peter
> > >
>
Glad at least one of us had a completely fun syncro based holiday.

At least I got most of mine over before drama struck.

We booked Crescent again for next year - the kids love the creek apart from the oysters on the rocky side - from now on we will stick to the sandy side.

Ben and I appear in for a 2011 /2012 syncro catch up @ Harts if he is still willing maybe we can get quite a few others for a syncro camp over. Harts place is great - a shady level grassy campsite next to the Hastings River with facilities and an excellent BBQ. He even has a flash tractor!

Cheers,

Skot

Sent: Saturday, January 08, 2011 9:33 PM
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Mid Nth Coast Syncro Adventures/ Mis-adventures Christmas 2010

Happy New year to all.
Got back from my annual summer holiday in Hat Head last night.Great holiday with friends and family,camping,swimming,fishing,surfing,golfing,drinking,relaxing,not working,Driving,kidding,(looking after kids).
The Syncro again out performed the convoy of my mates cars(I think),this year,there are two Surfs,a Prado,and two Rodeos.We did the Plomer run again on the 3rd,with only some small puddles,some soft sand and mild corragations,over two ferries and up Maria River road(where the bus comes into its own).
Russells trail provided some fun 2WD rallying down to Cresent Head for a pie and to catch up with Skot.
Hat Head beach to South West Rocks was unusualy soft,where my father in laws Surf was towed off by his sons Surf on the first day.A lesson for us all,use your vacuum operated 4WD systems regularly or they wont work when you need them.I offered to tow him off but he chose the Surf.(couldnt hack being towed of by a VW).
Hungary beach dead on low,was the place where Uncle Bens Kombi,was renamed,The Airbus,after a few full air jumps off small sand whooptees,where the rear wheels travelled 7 metres,front 10 metres in the air(stepped out).Awesome feeling!
Caught up with the Mid North Coasters on New Years Day at Harts for a great day(despite some incovieniences),next year bigger and better.
Over all I travelled 1604 kms used 169 litres of 98. The Subaru engine purred along nicely non stop.Highway driving is now a real pleasure,having real fun overtaking up hill,fully loaded.I have now travelled 6000ks since the conversion.
The road north to Kempsey from Sydney is almost there.Just Buladelah and Kempsey to by-pass now(maybe 5 years,10 if we are lucky!)
Spent most of today cleaning the outside and underneath.Tommorow inside and the outside polish.

BenC(not T).

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "Mr Scott Pitcher" <spbconsulting@...> wrote:
>
> Just a couple of photos attached to show my recent camping trip after another successful trip up the Point Plommer Rd to Crescent Head from Port Macquarie Car ferry. We had to help out an 80 series landcruiser who stalled in one of the many lakes you need to drive through along this goat track. He went into the water so hard he ripped his number plate off - what a goose!
>
> Anyway we had a great time with the princesses @ Crescent apart from Allanah cutting her knee really deep creating a need to dash to Kempsey Base Hospital for some repairs. Some reasonably good surf (amazing I managed to squeeze in 6 surfs in my 10 days away - the water was 22 degrees - awesome).
>
> Then on the way back my syncro was cruising along between Crescent & Kempsey (for about 10kms) @ 100km/hr with full power on tap then suddenly - nothing the engine shut down instantly. We waited 2hrs for a tow on a 34 degree day - lucky we had shade and a water tank full of the precious stuff.
>
> Then we borrowed the not very loved hippie syncro from Hart Motors (he has an abundance of syncros on his riverside property - where we were planning to camp the night anyway). We continued to holiday and I managed to collect my tent etc from Crescent in the hippie - thanks again Hart.
>
> Then we had a great day with a few syncros including Hart's collection, Ben C (just fresh from Hat Head in his newly re-powered suby syncro), Anni & Pete from Port in their stylish camper syncro and us borrowing the hippie syncro.
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Skot
> & the Princesses
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Phill
>
> >
> > relays.
> >
> >
> >
> > BenT
> >
> >
> >
> > >
> > >
> > > Peter,
> > >
> > cheap.
> > >
> > >
> > > Best of luck.
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > >
> > > Skot
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Hello
> > >
> > have
> > > posted.
> > >
> > >
> > beam
> > the
> > >
> > >
> > be
> > >
> > >
> > > Regards
> > >
> > > Peter
> > >
>

Not to mention flowers that you can eat,man..

>
> Glad at least one of us had a completely fun syncro based holiday.
>
> At least I got most of mine over before drama struck.
>
> We booked Crescent again for next year - the kids love the creek apart from the oysters on the rocky side - from now on we will stick to the sandy side.
>
> Ben and I appear in for a 2011 /2012 syncro catch up @ Harts if he is still willing maybe we can get quite a few others for a syncro camp over. Harts place is great - a shady level grassy campsite next to the Hastings River with facilities and an excellent BBQ. He even has a flash tractor!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Skot
>
> From: bencroft96
> Sent: Saturday, January 08, 2011 9:33 PM
> Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Mid Nth Coast Syncro Adventures/ Mis-adventures Christmas 2010
>
>
>
> Happy New year to all.
> Got back from my annual summer holiday in Hat Head last night.Great holiday with friends and family,camping,swimming,fishing,surfing,golfing,drinking,relaxing,not working,Driving,kidding,(looking after kids).
> The Syncro again out performed the convoy of my mates cars(I think),this year,there are two Surfs,a Prado,and two Rodeos.We did the Plomer run again on the 3rd,with only some small puddles,some soft sand and mild corragations,over two ferries and up Maria River road(where the bus comes into its own).
> Russells trail provided some fun 2WD rallying down to Cresent Head for a pie and to catch up with Skot.
> Hat Head beach to South West Rocks was unusualy soft,where my father in laws Surf was towed off by his sons Surf on the first day.A lesson for us all,use your vacuum operated 4WD systems regularly or they wont work when you need them.I offered to tow him off but he chose the Surf.(couldnt hack being towed of by a VW).
> Hungary beach dead on low,was the place where Uncle Bens Kombi,was renamed,The Airbus,after a few full air jumps off small sand whooptees,where the rear wheels travelled 7 metres,front 10 metres in the air(stepped out).Awesome feeling!
> Caught up with the Mid North Coasters on New Years Day at Harts for a great day(despite some incovieniences),next year bigger and better.
> Over all I travelled 1604 kms used 169 litres of 98. The Subaru engine purred along nicely non stop.Highway driving is now a real pleasure,having real fun overtaking up hill,fully loaded.I have now travelled 6000ks since the conversion.
> The road north to Kempsey from Sydney is almost there.Just Buladelah and Kempsey to by-pass now(maybe 5 years,10 if we are lucky!)
> Spent most of today cleaning the outside and underneath.Tommorow inside and the outside polish.
>
> Syncro out in front...again.Driving it how it should be driven.
> BenC(not T).
>
> --- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "Mr Scott Pitcher" <spbconsulting@> wrote:
> >
> > Just a couple of photos attached to show my recent camping trip after another successful trip up the Point Plommer Rd to Crescent Head from Port Macquarie Car ferry. We had to help out an 80 series landcruiser who stalled in one of the many lakes you need to drive through along this goat track. He went into the water so hard he ripped his number plate off - what a goose!
> >
> > Anyway we had a great time with the princesses @ Crescent apart from Allanah cutting her knee really deep creating a need to dash to Kempsey Base Hospital for some repairs. Some reasonably good surf (amazing I managed to squeeze in 6 surfs in my 10 days away - the water was 22 degrees - awesome).
> >
> > Then on the way back my syncro was cruising along between Crescent & Kempsey (for about 10kms) @ 100km/hr with full power on tap then suddenly - nothing the engine shut down instantly. We waited 2hrs for a tow on a 34 degree day - lucky we had shade and a water tank full of the precious stuff.
> >
> > Then we borrowed the not very loved hippie syncro from Hart Motors (he has an abundance of syncros on his riverside property - where we were planning to camp the night anyway). We continued to holiday and I managed to collect my tent etc from Crescent in the hippie - thanks again Hart.
> >
> > Then we had a great day with a few syncros including Hart's collection, Ben C (just fresh from Hat Head in his newly re-powered suby syncro), Anni & Pete from Port in their stylish camper syncro and us borrowing the hippie syncro.
> >
> > A great chat, a quick BBQ & a tour saw a great day in nice warm weather.
> >
> > Thanks Hart for hosting!
> >
> > Then finally the trip home in the air conditioned tow truck.
> >
> > Lets all do it again next year (without breakdowns hopefully).
> >
> > Cheers & Happy New Year to all syncro nutters.
> >
> > Skot
> > & the Princesses
> >
> >
> > From: plander@
> > Sent: Thursday, January 06, 2011 9:09 AM
> > Subject: Re: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] No low beam
> >
> >
> >
> > No, the basic electrical system is the same worldwide.
> >
> > Here is how you can avoid the problem;
> >
> > http://members.ozemail.com.au/~pjlander/Headlights.htm
> >
> > Phill
> >
> > > BenT Syncro <syncro@> wrote:
> > >
> > > The T3's delivered to the US and North America do not have headlight
> > > relays.
> > >
> > > Seems you are saying OZ T3's came with a headlight relay. If that's the
> > > case then I stand corrected.
> > >
> > >
> > > BenT
> > >
> > > Sent from my relayless headlights
> > >
> > > On Jan 5, 2011, at 1:45 PM, "Mr Scott Pitcher"
> > > <spbconsulting@> wrote:
> > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Peter,
> > > >
> > > > Have you tried the headlight relay. They fit into the fuse box area
> > > and are a square box with about 5 pins from memory. They are fairly
> > > cheap.
> > > >
> > > > Also check your earths - syncros rattle around a lot on corrugated
> > > roads and earths can come loose.
> > > >
> > > > Best of luck.
> > > >
> > > > Cheers,
> > > >
> > > > Skot
> > > >
> > > > ----- Original Message -----
> > > > From: Peter
> > > > To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> > > > Sent: Thursday, January 06, 2011 8:37 AM
> > > > Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] No low beam
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Hello
> > > >
> > > > I am an avid reader of the posts but this is only the second time I
> > > have
> > > > posted.
> > > >
> > > > My beloved synchro has no lights. Low beam in particular.
> > > >
> > > > When I flick the light switch, I get parkers and can make the high
> > > beam
> > > > come on by holding the arm in on the steering column. When I release
> > > the
> > > > arm, the high beam goes off and I am left with parkers only.
> > > >
> > > > I have checked the fuses and they are not blown.
> > > >
> > > > Any assistance and/or guidance towarda previous relevant posts would
> > > be
> > > > greatly appreciated.
> > > >
> > > > Thank you and wishing everyone a fantastic 2011!
> > > >
> > > > Regards
> > > >
> > > > Peter
> > > >
> >
>

BenC(not T).

Yes, I'm afraid this Ben had to take a chance on driving up to snow country for the New Year's Holiday in a 2wd Mk4 Jetta. This despite having two Syncros, an Audi Quattro, and a CRV. One Syncro is still cut wide open on one side. Unfinished 4th door addition. The other needed a new Temp 2 sensor which I had no time to replace. The CRV became a gift to a daughter. The Audi, useless in winter weather with broken front defroster. It was a non-Syncro weekend.

Nevertheless, 2011 started out great for us. The snow stopped on our way up the Sierra Mountain Range. During our visit, the road was close twice due to excessive snow. 2'-3' fell every night. When it was time to go home, the sun came out and snow melted enough that 2wd was more than adequate to the task.

BenT

(you can put your money in the BenC)
Ben T,

We need more syncro adventure stories.

Glad you had fun though.

I thought you had 5 or 6 syncros at your beck and call??

Only 2 left?

Sent: Saturday, January 08, 2011 10:20 PM
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Mid Nth Coast Syncro Adventures/ Mis-adventures Christmas 2010

BenC(not T).

Yes, I'm afraid this Ben had to take a chance on driving up to snow country for the New Year's Holiday in a 2wd Mk4 Jetta. This despite having two Syncros, an Audi Quattro, and a CRV. One Syncro is still cut wide open on one side. Unfinished 4th door addition. The other needed a new Temp 2 sensor which I had no time to replace. The CRV became a gift to a daughter. The Audi, useless in winter weather with broken front defroster. It was a non-Syncro weekend.

Nevertheless, 2011 started out great for us. The snow stopped on our way up the Sierra Mountain Range. During our visit, the road was close twice due to excessive snow. 2'-3' fell every night. When it was time to go home, the sun came out and snow melted enough that 2wd was more than adequate to the task.

BenT

(you can put your money in the BenC)

On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 3:30 AM, Mr Scott Pitcher <spbconsulting@bigpond.com> wrote:

Ben T,
We need more syncro adventure stories.
Glad you had fun though.
I thought you had 5 or 6 syncros at your beck and call??
Only 2 left?
All good things had to come to an end. I'm trying to complete at least one of these. I am undecided what to do with the other. Had left it in a city in California called Pacifica. It went in storage in relatively good shape. It came out a rust bucket. It's a shame as it is a very early 85 Doka with dual lockers. It may find it's organs being donated to Westy if I ever get around to it. I still have have a 3rd Doka which is 2wd (2.0 inline-4) and only one more Vanagon also 2wd (Subie 2.2ejt). I've moved in to a neighbourhood which are not so friendly to T3's. Until further notice, the fleet was been drastically reduced. Not just T3's -- I used to have 6 Porkers. Down to two now. If it looks too much like a toy, it get's sold or placed in cold storage. I've already got vehicles in 40' & 20' ocean going storage containers. It's getting to be too much trouble until I can persuade SpicyT to move elsewhere.;-(
Two competing Syncro events will be held in May. The original SdM promoter split with the organizers who took over after he departed the Left Coast. Now he is back and they can't agree. One will still be SdM. The other will be something else. I'm going to try my best to have a Syncro to at least or both events. That's assuming my 4th door project is finished. (body shop in the hold up) In two weeks, we will hold Burningvan in San Francisco at the beach. There's usually a few Syncros there. There will be a burning T3 in the bonfire but I promise it is just made of combustible material with no nails to be left to injure surfers. Afterall, most of the surfers are T3 owners.
BenT
BenC,
what a bummer I did not know about your Plomer Rd pursuits !  I would have loved to do it in the Tristar , but not on my own,'cose the front lock doesn't work for ages and now the rear  also is stuck. So i'm down from a 3 knobber to a 1 knobber, real sad. And after the recent coolant pipes repair job I'm slgthly out  of puff.......
At present the Hippy Syncro is my preferred mode of transport, nothing to worry about, it hardly can be dinted any more, it has no side windows,  so I don't have to worry about locking it in town .. (how do you lock your motorbike ???)., the batterie never flattens when it's parked (both the others are flat after 10 dys non use...) And when approaching the Hippy and wrestling with the keys , it starts, running so smooth just amazing what a top end rebuilt can do.
Ben , many thanks again for providing the cool Christmas tree for me . I repaired the old one for a treasured spare part.. Thanks Ken for that JB Weld contact, amazing stuff. (Bursons).
So all fine for a good start 2011
Hartis

To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2011 10:33:20 +0000
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Mid Nth Coast Syncro Adventures/ Mis-adventures Christmas 2010

Happy New year to all.

BenC(not T).

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Skot
> & the Princesses
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Phill
>
> >
> > relays.
> >
> >
> >
> > BenT
> >
> >
> >
> > >
> > >
> > > Peter,
> > >
> > cheap.
> > >
> > >
> > > Best of luck.
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > >
> > > Skot
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Hello
> > >
> > have
> > > posted.
> > >
> > >
> > beam
> > the
> > >
> > >
> > be
> > >
> > >
> > > Regards
> > >
> > > Peter
> > >
>

Hartmut,
Unless one has masochistic tendencies, you aren't missing much by NOT driving the Point Plomer Road from Port to Point Plomer. Although I suppose one should do it at least once to see why one would think twice about doing it again. It's not hard to understand why the locals avoid it, instead pick the low tide and drive the beach route where available, a permit is needed though and at your own risk. I found the Point Plomer to Crescent section is more bearable if the tyre pressures are lowered.

But the real rewards are the stop off points, beaches, scenery, walking tracks, headlands, bush camping and peace & quiet along the way to/from Port to Crescent (avoid weekends, holidays). A true gem of accessible and almost "pristine" NSW coastal strip. Unfortunately I missed the Crescent to Hat Head section, maybe another time.

Cheers.
Ken

To: syncro_t3_australia@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2011 09:34:32 +1100
Subject: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Mid Nth Coast Syncro Adventures/ Mis-adventures Christmas 2010

BenC,
what a bummer I did not know about your Plomer Rd pursuits !  I would have loved to do it in the Tristar , but not on my own,'cose the front lock doesn't work for ages and now the rear  also is stuck. So i'm down from a 3 knobber to a 1 knobber, real sad. And after the recent coolant pipes repair job I'm slgthly out  of puff.......
At present the Hippy Syncro is my preferred mode of transport, nothing to worry about, it hardly can be dinted any more, it has no side windows,  so I don't have to worry about locking it in town .. (how do you lock your motorbike ???)., the batterie never flattens when it's parked (both the others are flat after 10 dys non use...) And when approaching the Hippy and wrestling with the keys , it starts, running so smooth just amazing what a top end rebuilt can do.
Ben , many thanks again for providing the cool Christmas tree for me . I repaired the old one for a treasured spare part.. Thanks Ken for that JB Weld contact, amazing stuff. (Bursons).
Hartis

Happy New year to all.

BenC(not T).

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Skot
> & the Princesses
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Phill
>
> >
> > relays.
> >
> >
> >
> > BenT
> >
> >
> >
> > >
> > >
> > > Peter,
> > >
> > cheap.
> > >
> > >
> > > Best of luck.
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > >
> > > Skot
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Hello
> > >
> > have
> > > posted.
> > >
> > >
> > beam
> > the
> > >
> > >
> > be
> > >
> > >
> > > Regards
> > >
> > > Peter
> > >
>

Hart,

Sorry about the pathetic taping up of the windows - I thought it was going to rain the night I did it - those weather forecasters!

I didn't want your cupboards to get wet.

I had to re-tape it a couple of times as even driving @ 50km/hr in a strong wind caused it to pull out and flap madly. I was tempted to speed up and see how long it would last but there was too many police around.

A bit of metho will remove any residue from the tape. I was even going to wash the hippy for you but there were two problems:

1) I thought I would get more water into the syncro as opposed to the outside - chipboard cupboards don't really like water.

2) Hippies don't like being washed.

Thanks again for the lend - it has plenty of character and "patina".

Cheers,

Skot

Sent: Sunday, January 09, 2011 9:34 AM
Subject: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Mid Nth Coast Syncro Adventures/ Mis-adventures Christmas 2010

BenC,
Hartis

Happy New year to all.

BenC(not T).

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Skot
> & the Princesses
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Phill
>
> >
> > relays.
> >
> >
> >
> > BenT
> >
> >
> >
> > >
> > >
> > > Peter,
> > >
> > cheap.
> > >
> > >
> > > Best of luck.
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > >
> > > Skot
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Hello
> > >
> > have
> > > posted.
> > >
> > >
> > beam
> > the
> > >
> > >
> > be
> > >
> > >
> > > Regards
> > >
> > > Peter
> > >
>

Ken,

Next year you and Hart are in for the Plommer Rd adventure. That road seems to get worse every year and the craters can now easily swallow a medium sized car and almost a syncro. When they fill with water they get very deep.

Cheers,

Skot

Sent: Sunday, January 09, 2011 10:54 AM

Hartmut,
Unless one has masochistic tendencies, you aren't missing much by NOT driving the Point Plomer Road from Port to Point Plomer. Although I suppose one should do it at least once to see why one would think twice about doing it again. It's not hard to understand why the locals avoid it, instead pick the low tide and drive the beach route where available, a permit is needed though and at your own risk. I found the Point Plomer to Crescent section is more bearable if the tyre pressures are lowered.

But the real rewards are the stop off points, beaches, scenery, walking tracks, headlands, bush camping and peace & quiet along the way to/from Port to Crescent (avoid weekends, holidays). A true gem of accessible and almost "pristine" NSW coastal strip. Unfortunately I missed the Crescent to Hat Head section, maybe another time.

Cheers.
Ken

To: syncro_t3_australia@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2011 09:34:32 +1100

BenC,
Hartis

Happy New year to all.

BenC(not T).

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Skot
> & the Princesses
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Phill
>
> >
> > relays.
> >
> >
> >
> > BenT
> >
> >
> >
> > >
> > >
> > > Peter,
> > >
> > cheap.
> > >
> > >
> > > Best of luck.
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > >
> > > Skot
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Hello
> > >
> > have
> > > posted.
> > >
> > >
> > beam
> > the
> > >
> > >
> > be
> > >
> > >
> > > Regards
> > >
> > > Peter
> > >
>

Hart,Skot,Ken,
I find that the Port side of the road is in less repair,as well for Maria River Road,with pot-holes and corrigations.
When its dry its a sunday drive,much more of a test when it is wet and deep(Plomer).

>
> Ken,
>
> Next year you and Hart are in for the Plommer Rd adventure. That road seems to get worse every year and the craters can now easily swallow a medium sized car and almost a syncro. When they fill with water they get very deep.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Skot
>
> From: Ken Garratt
> To: Syncro _T3_Australia forum
> Sent: Sunday, January 09, 2011 10:54 AM
> Subject: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Mid Nth Coast Syncro Adventures/ Mis-adventures Christmas 2010
>
>
>
> Hartmut,
> Unless one has masochistic tendencies, you aren't missing much by NOT driving the Point Plomer Road from Port to Point Plomer. Although I suppose one should do it at least once to see why one would think twice about doing it again. It's not hard to understand why the locals avoid it, instead pick the low tide and drive the beach route where available, a permit is needed though and at your own risk. I found the Point Plomer to Crescent section is more bearable if the tyre pressures are lowered.
>
> But the real rewards are the stop off points, beaches, scenery, walking tracks, headlands, bush camping and peace & quiet along the way to/from Port to Crescent (avoid weekends, holidays). A true gem of accessible and almost "pristine" NSW coastal strip. Unfortunately I missed the Crescent to Hat Head section, maybe another time.
>
> Cheers.
> Ken
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> To: syncro_t3_australia@yahoogroups.com
> From: hartis@...
> Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2011 09:34:32 +1100
> Subject: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Mid Nth Coast Syncro Adventures/ Mis-adventures Christmas 2010
>
>
> BenC,
> what a bummer I did not know about your Plomer Rd pursuits ! I would have loved to do it in the Tristar , but not on my own,'cose the front lock doesn't work for ages and now the rear also is stuck. So i'm down from a 3 knobber to a 1 knobber, real sad. And after the recent coolant pipes repair job I'm slgthly out of puff.......
> At present the Hippy Syncro is my preferred mode of transport, nothing to worry about, it hardly can be dinted any more, it has no side windows, so I don't have to worry about locking it in town .. (how do you lock your motorbike ???)., the batterie never flattens when it's parked (both the others are flat after 10 dys non use...) And when approaching the Hippy and wrestling with the keys , it starts, running so smooth just amazing what a top end rebuilt can do.
> Ben , many thanks again for providing the cool Christmas tree for me . I repaired the old one for a treasured spare part.. Thanks Ken for that JB Weld contact, amazing stuff. (Bursons).
> So all fine for a good start 2011
> Hartis
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> From: bencroft96@...
> Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2011 10:33:20 +0000
> Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Mid Nth Coast Syncro Adventures/ Mis-adventures Christmas 2010
>
>
> Happy New year to all.
> Got back from my annual summer holiday in Hat Head last night.Great holiday with friends and family,camping,swimming,fishing,surfing,golfing,drinking,relaxing,not working,Driving,kidding,(looking after kids).
> The Syncro again out performed the convoy of my mates cars(I think),this year,there are two Surfs,a Prado,and two Rodeos.We did the Plomer run again on the 3rd,with only some small puddles,some soft sand and mild corragations,over two ferries and up Maria River road(where the bus comes into its own).
> Russells trail provided some fun 2WD rallying down to Cresent Head for a pie and to catch up with Skot.
> Hat Head beach to South West Rocks was unusualy soft,where my father in laws Surf was towed off by his sons Surf on the first day.A lesson for us all,use your vacuum operated 4WD systems regularly or they wont work when you need them.I offered to tow him off but he chose the Surf.(couldnt hack being towed of by a VW).
> Hungary beach dead on low,was the place where Uncle Bens Kombi,was renamed,The Airbus,after a few full air jumps off small sand whooptees,where the rear wheels travelled 7 metres,front 10 metres in the air(stepped out).Awesome feeling!
> Caught up with the Mid North Coasters on New Years Day at Harts for a great day(despite some incovieniences),next year bigger and better.
> Over all I travelled 1604 kms used 169 litres of 98. The Subaru engine purred along nicely non stop.Highway driving is now a real pleasure,having real fun overtaking up hill,fully loaded.I have now travelled 6000ks since the conversion.
> The road north to Kempsey from Sydney is almost there.Just Buladelah and Kempsey to by-pass now(maybe 5 years,10 if we are lucky!)
> Spent most of today cleaning the outside and underneath.Tommorow inside and the outside polish.
>
> BenC(not T).
>
> --- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "Mr Scott Pitcher" <spbconsulting@> wrote:
> >
> > Just a couple of photos attached to show my recent camping trip after another successful trip up the Point Plommer Rd to Crescent Head from Port Macquarie Car ferry. We had to help out an 80 series landcruiser who stalled in one of the many lakes you need to drive through along this goat track. He went into the water so hard he ripped his number plate off - what a goose!
> >
> > Anyway we had a great time with the princesses @ Crescent apart from Allanah cutting her knee really deep creating a need to dash to Kempsey Base Hospital for some repairs. Some reasonably good surf (amazing I managed to squeeze in 6 surfs in my 10 days away - the water was 22 degrees - awesome).
> >
> > Then on the way back my syncro was cruising along between Crescent & Kempsey (for about 10kms) @ 100km/hr with full power on tap then suddenly - nothing the engine shut down instantly. We waited 2hrs for a tow on a 34 degree day - lucky we had shade and a water tank full of the precious stuff.
> >
> > Then we borrowed the not very loved hippie syncro from Hart Motors (he has an abundance of syncros on his riverside property - where we were planning to camp the night anyway). We continued to holiday and I managed to collect my tent etc from Crescent in the hippie - thanks again Hart.
> >
> > Then we had a great day with a few syncros including Hart's collection, Ben C (just fresh from Hat Head in his newly re-powered suby syncro), Anni & Pete from Port in their stylish camper syncro and us borrowing the hippie syncro.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Skot
> > & the Princesses
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Phill
> >
> > >
> > > relays.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > BenT
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Peter,
> > > >
> > > cheap.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Best of luck.
> > > >
> > > > Cheers,
> > > >
> > > > Skot
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Hello
> > > >
> > > have
> > > > posted.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > beam
> > > the
> > > >
> > > >
> > > be
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Regards
> > > >
> > > > Peter
> > > >
> >
>
My boss took a good video of our Plommer adventure - including the clown in the 80 series cruiser that drowned his rig and ripped his front plate off being an impatient idiot in one of the ponds along the road.

I still cant believe with all the corrugations and water holes that my youngest daughter could sleep the whole way - amazing - shows how comfortable a syncro is.

Sent: Sunday, January 09, 2011 3:42 PM

Hart,Skot,Ken,
I find that the Port side of the road is in less repair,as well for Maria River Road,with pot-holes and corrigations.
When its dry its a sunday drive,much more of a test when it is wet and deep(Plomer).

>
> Ken,
>
> Next year you and Hart are in for the Plommer Rd adventure. That road seems to get worse every year and the craters can now easily swallow a medium sized car and almost a syncro. When they fill with water they get very deep.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Skot
>
> From: Ken Garratt
> To: Syncro _T3_Australia forum
> Sent: Sunday, January 09, 2011 10:54 AM
>
>
>
> Hartmut,
> Unless one has masochistic tendencies, you aren't missing much by NOT driving the Point Plomer Road from Port to Point Plomer. Although I suppose one should do it at least once to see why one would think twice about doing it again. It's not hard to understand why the locals avoid it, instead pick the low tide and drive the beach route where available, a permit is needed though and at your own risk. I found the Point Plomer to Crescent section is more bearable if the tyre pressures are lowered.
>
> But the real rewards are the stop off points, beaches, scenery, walking tracks, headlands, bush camping and peace & quiet along the way to/from Port to Crescent (avoid weekends, holidays). A true gem of accessible and almost "pristine" NSW coastal strip. Unfortunately I missed the Crescent to Hat Head section, maybe another time.
>
> Cheers.
> Ken
>
>
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------
> To: syncro_t3_australia@yahoogroups.com
> From: hartis@...
> Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2011 09:34:32 +1100
>
>
> BenC,
> what a bummer I did not know about your Plomer Rd pursuits ! I would have loved to do it in the Tristar , but not on my own,'cose the front lock doesn't work for ages and now the rear also is stuck. So i'm down from a 3 knobber to a 1 knobber, real sad. And after the recent coolant pipes repair job I'm slgthly out of puff.......
> At present the Hippy Syncro is my preferred mode of transport, nothing to worry about, it hardly can be dinted any more, it has no side windows, so I don't have to worry about locking it in town .. (how do you lock your motorbike ???)., the batterie never flattens when it's parked (both the others are flat after 10 dys non use...) And when approaching the Hippy and wrestling with the keys , it starts, running so smooth just amazing what a top end rebuilt can do.
> Ben , many thanks again for providing the cool Christmas tree for me . I repaired the old one for a treasured spare part.. Thanks Ken for that JB Weld contact, amazing stuff. (Bursons).
> So all fine for a good start 2011
> Hartis
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------
> From: bencroft96@...
> Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2011 10:33:20 +0000
>
>
> Happy New year to all.
>
> BenC(not T).
>
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Skot
> > & the Princesses
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Phill
> >
> > >
> > > relays.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > BenT
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Peter,
> > > >
> > > cheap.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Best of luck.
> > > >
> > > > Cheers,
> > > >
> > > > Skot
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Hello
> > > >
> > > have
> > > > posted.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > beam
> > > the
> > > >
> > > >
> > > be
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Regards
> > > >
> > > > Peter
> > > >
> >
>

Great to catch up with you at Harts BenC. Quite a few Syncros in the one place but a great pity that a blue one was missing in action.

Cheers, Peter

Yeah Peter,one blue one would of put an interesting contrast to the pictures.(photo section).
Great day,excellent venue,interesting people,Synros,holidays,I am there again next year,we will involve a tour and more mid north coasters will gather.

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Coe" <peter@...> wrote:
>
> Great to catch up with you at Harts BenC. Quite a few Syncros in the one
> place but a great pity that a blue one was missing in action.
>
> Cheers, Peter
>
I didnt know that when Hart disapeared after the bbq,he was curled up in the spare wheel compartment.Good place for a power nap.

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "Ben" <bencroft96@...> wrote:
>
> Yeah Peter,one blue one would of put an interesting contrast to the pictures.(photo section).
> Great day,excellent venue,interesting people,Synros,holidays,I am there again next year,we will involve a tour and more mid north coasters will gather.
>
> --- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Coe" <peter@> wrote:
> >
> > Great to catch up with you at Harts BenC. Quite a few Syncros in the one
> > place but a great pity that a blue one was missing in action.
> >
> > Cheers, Peter
> >
>
Heh BENC,

Don't give the secret away , my SHE might be in the loop here (one never knows)
End of year event ('round the corner ) hopefully will see a few more Syns around here. Ken is working on an inland trip say one or two days

I'm excited to try this adventure with me in tow when next he comes for a visit. I 'm also working on proper amenities for all the folks and Pricesses.

If there would be any interest for a workshop on how to renew coolant pipes  (or any other topic for that matter)  for the cost of some of Ken's JB Weld and some other ingredient,

that could be included into the itinerary.

All very exciting   Hart

Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 07:54:14 +0000

I didnt know that when Hart disapeared after the bbq,he was curled up in the spare wheel compartment.Good place for a power nap.

>
> Yeah Peter,one blue one would of put an interesting contrast to the pictures.(photo section).
> Great day,excellent venue,interesting people,Synros,holidays,I am there again next year,we will involve a tour and more mid north coasters will gather.
>
> >
> >
> > Cheers, Peter
> >
>

I'll be there again this year - even if I have to tow the syncro up!

I might need to invest in one of those new fangled 2.5L suby donks that Ben has to update mine and to enable easier parts access.

The Princesses only need a dog to play with and your veggie patch Hart - they thought that was fantastic. Throw a few fairy ornaments in the garden and you wont be able to get them away.

Cheers,

Skot

Sent: Sunday, January 16, 2011 7:27 PM

Heh BENC,

End of year event ('round the corner ) hopefully will see a few more Syns around here. Ken is working on an inland trip say one or two days

I'm excited to try this adventure with me in tow when next he comes for a visit. I 'm also working on proper amenities for all the folks and Pricesses.

If there would be any interest for a workshop on how to renew coolant pipes  (or any other topic for that matter)  for the cost of some of Ken's JB Weld and some other ingredient,

All very exciting   Hart

>
>
> >
> >
> > Cheers, Peter
> >
>

I do like this idea Hart.

I have a had a few quiet moments in that area myself - almost like a shed in a syncro.

Sent: Sunday, January 16, 2011 7:27 PM

Heh BENC,

All very exciting   Hart

>
>
> >
> >
> > Cheers, Peter
> >
>

Well, it sounds like you have been having an interesting time up
there! Might have to reroute our Xmas hols via Port Macquarie next
year... Commiserations to Scott on your Syncro breaking down at that
inconvenient moment, and I hope you get it sorted soon without too
much pain. From our end, just back from 3 weeks of driving hither and
thither without a hitch (a bit of a first for us). The boys and I
briefly rubbed shoulders with the Shallow Crossing mob at BB
yesterday. We will be hearing more from them soon, no doubt. I did
notice some ominous dripping from under our van upon our return today
- might have to sign up for Hart's coolant pipe seminar in PM. Will
need to investigate, but I've also forgotten which G coolant number is
essential. I have an inherited flagon of G11. Is that correct or is
that the Austrian dessert wine? I could bring it up to PM to
contribute to next year's BBQ, if so. Cheers, Francesca.

On 1/16/11, Hartmut Kiehn <hartis@live.com.au> wrote:
>
> Heh BENC,
>
> Don't give the secret away , my SHE might be in the loop here (one never
> knows)
> End of year event ('round the corner ) hopefully will see a few more Syns
> around here. Ken is working on an inland trip say one or two days
>
> I'm excited to try this adventure with me in tow when next he comes for a
> visit. I 'm also working on proper amenities for all the folks and
> Pricesses.
>
> If there would be any interest for a workshop on how to renew coolant pipes
> (or any other topic for that matter) for the cost of some of Ken's JB Weld
> and some other ingredient,
>
> that could be included into the itinerary.
>
> All very exciting Hart
>
>
> .
>
>
> From: bencroft96@yahoo.com
> Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 07:54:14 +0000
> Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Mid Nth Coast Syncro Adventures/
> Mis-adventures Christmas 2010
>
>
>
>
>
>
> I didnt know that when Hart disapeared after the bbq,he was curled up in the
> spare wheel compartment.Good place for a power nap.
>
> --- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "Ben" <bencroft96@...> wrote:
>>
>> Yeah Peter,one blue one would of put an interesting contrast to the
>> pictures.(photo section).
>> Great day,excellent venue,interesting people,Synros,holidays,I am there
>> again next year,we will involve a tour and more mid north coasters will
>> gather.
>>
>> --- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Coe" <peter@> wrote:
>> >
>> > Great to catch up with you at Harts BenC. Quite a few Syncros in the one
>> > place but a great pity that a blue one was missing in action.
>> >
>> > Cheers, Peter
>> >
>>
>
>
>
>