MPG or L/100

When do we use metric or when do we use imperial ?

On a recent road trip south, carrying my 60kg girlfriend, with my 6'10 surfboard, myself being 6'2"; we travelled 458 km on 57 litres of fuel.
There was a slight cross wind blowing at 12 knots. The syncro was mostly travelling at 105km/h except for 25 miles using 18psi to traverse beach and rocks. Running on 95 octane fuel with a decoupler and 15" wheels.My calculations were that we averaged 12l/100 km. Or would that be 22 mpg ?

How does that compare with what others are achieving in their underpowered bricks ?

Mark

Mark,

Because our petrol pumps deliver litres, I tend to think in terms of kilometres per litre, which is closer to miles per gallon than litres per 100 kilometres.   

This is a more meaningful measurement to me than trying to work out how far I will travel on the 51 litres that I have just added to the tank in terms of litres/100 km, particularly since the tank will not hold 100 litres.

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of m.mullet
Sent: 07 April 2011 13:32
To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] MPG or L/100

On a recent road trip south, carrying my 60kg girlfriend, with my 6'10 surfboard, myself being 6'2"; we travelled 458 km on 57 litres of fuel.
There was a slight cross wind blowing at 12 knots. The Syncro was mostly travelling at 105km/h except for 25 miles using 18psi to traverse beach and rocks. Running on 95 octane fuel with a decoupler and 15" wheels. My calculations were that we averaged 12l/100 km. Or would that be 22 mpg ?

How does that compare with what others are achieving in their underpowered bricks ?

Mark

23.54 mpg to be precise  8-))

Wow, that’s pretty good....now I know why I’m interested in a Syncro for longer touring trips.....I get about 25 litres per 100 km out of my Pinzgauer (11.3 mpg)

Peter.

What’s wrong with you lot? We converted to metric in the mid 70’s. Get with it. There’s only one thing men and boys still measure in inches.

Tom

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of m.mullet
Sent: Thursday, 7 April 2011 1:32 PM
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] MPG or L/100

There was a slight cross wind blowing at 12 knots. The syncro was mostly travelling at 105km/h except for 25 miles using 18psi to traverse beach and rocks. Running on 95 octane fuel with a decoupler and 15" wheels.My calculations were that we averaged 12l/100 km. Or would that be 22 mpg ?

Mark

In terms of practicality and understandability, I will stick with kilometres per litre.   I have no nostalgia for the Imperial system but there is one thing that I seriously miss – the reserve tap on the early Beetles. 

Cough, cough, turn tap with left toe and you had 30 miles to run to empty.

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Thomas Hanson
Sent: 07 April 2011 18:05
Subject: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] MPG or L/100

What’s wrong with you lot? We converted to metric in the mid 70’s. Get with it. There’s only one thing men and boys still measure in inches.

Tom

_._,___

No Australia is not metric. The standard is SI. The good thing about standards is that there are so many of them to choose from.

Phill

> Thomas Hanson <thomashanson@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>
> What's wrong with you lot? We converted to metric in the mid 70's. Get
> with
> it. There's only one thing men and boys still measure in inches.
>
> Tom
>
>
>
> From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of m.mullet
> Sent: Thursday, 7 April 2011 1:32 PM
> To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] MPG or L/100
>
>
>
>
>
>
> When do we use metric or when do we use imperial ?
>
> On a recent road trip south, carrying my 60kg girlfriend, with my 6'10
> surfboard, myself being 6'2"; we travelled 458 km on 57 litres of fuel.
> There was a slight cross wind blowing at 12 knots. The syncro was mostly
> travelling at 105km/h except for 25 miles using 18psi to traverse beach
> and
> rocks. Running on 95 octane fuel with a decoupler and 15" wheels.My
> calculations were that we averaged 12l/100 km. Or would that be 22 mpg ?
>
>
> How does that compare with what others are achieving in their
> underpowered
> bricks ?
>
> Mark
But we seem to be going back to imperial. Last 10 years you can
hardly buy a tape measure without inches on it, annoying............
I guess you can but before about 10 years ago you hardly saw inches
then back they came.

So if we use SI why don't we use Kelvin for temp?

Bruce

On 08/04/2011, at 7:17 AM, plander@optusnet.com.au wrote:

>
> No Australia is not metric. The standard is SI. The good thing
> about standards is that there are so many of them to choose from.
>
> Phill
>
>
> So if we use SI why don't we use Kelvin for temp?
>
> Bruce
>

Global warming