New Old Yella syncro

Dragged home a 88 Yellow Trakka swivel seats Gold pac with tired leather slim seats.

Had to remove the batteries and found that swivel seats stop you from using the std battery clamp ?

Anybody use a different method to secure the batteries with swivel seats or do you have to remove the base as well as the seat then fit the clamp?

Been sitting for years so a bit of work but supposedly parked stll running after the owner purchased a big f truck.

Saw it years ago when Allan at Stokers had it for a few years.  Great nic then but now A bit of work but I call it therapy ?

Cheers guys hope the gathering down there was a great day

Cheers pete

Pete,

The T3 uses a 175mm high battery with recessed terminals.  There is a hinged cover over the top of it which clears the top of the battery.  The rotating seat carriers fitted by Trakka clear the top of the hinged cover by a long way.  Post a pic of what you have got.  The battery is probably much too high and incorrect for the T3.

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: 15 November 2015 17:04
To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] New Old Yella syncro [4 Attachments]

Dragged home a 88 Yellow Trakka swivel seats Gold pac with tired leather slim seats.

Had to remove the batteries and found that swivel seats stop you from using the std battery clamp ?

Anybody use a different method to secure the batteries with swivel seats or do you have to remove the base as well as the seat then fit the clamp?

Been sitting for years so a bit of work but supposedly parked stll running after the owner purchased a big f truck.

Saw it years ago when Allan at Stokers had it for a few years.  Great nic then but now A bit of work but I call it therapy ?

Cheers pete

Hey Les been thinking the bases may have been loaded with the seats back the front causing the clearance to be reduced. I rotated the seats <twin batteries behind the seats one under the bed.
But my issue is the swivel base does not appear to slide forward <am I right about this as the lower origional track does not appear to have any thing in it> So when you put in the battery there is no access to the cavity where the clamp lives. So my batteries were not secured.
Will try to get a shot tomorrow
Thank for the reply Les Pete

On Sun, Nov 15, 2015 at 6:07 PM, 'Leslie Harris' leslieharris@optusnet.com.au [Syncro_T3_Australia] <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Pete,

The T3 uses a 175mm high battery with recessed terminals. There is a hinged cover over the top of it which clears the top of the battery. The rotating seat carriers fitted by Trakka clear the top of the hinged cover by a long way. Post a pic of what you have got. The battery is probably much too high and incorrect for the T3.

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: 15 November 2015 17:04

Dragged home a 88 Yellow Trakka swivel seats Gold pac with tired leather slim seats.

Had to remove the batteries and found that swivel seats stop you from using the std battery clamp ?

Saw it years ago when Allan at Stokers had it for a few years. Great nic then but now A bit of work but I call it therapy ?

Cheers pete

Gday Pete,
Welcome again to the world of Trakka!
Yeah I'd be a tad surprised if owners with swivel bases have battery clamp/s in place. Certainly mine never has since I've owned it. As well, the Trakka camping battery setup under the rear seat has no clamp either.

So in any event, what's the issue now after 25 years without battery clamps? Planning on flipping her 180 degrees sometime soon?
Cheers from CCNSW.
Ken

-------- Original message --------
Date:15/11/2015 5:03 PM (GMT+10:00)

Cheers pete

Hey Ken, Needs the battery retained for roadworthy up here, so think I will fit the original
See if they can figure out how to even look at it as its hidden behind the base plate out of view, unless you remove the seat and base.
How does the hot water in the shower work Ken and why isn't there a hot tap in the sink?
Yes noticed the rear battery never had one ever by the look
How are you going mate hope all is well
Cheers pete

On Sun, Nov 15, 2015 at 11:08 PM, unclekenz unclekenz@hotmail.com [Syncro_T3_Australia] <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Gday Pete,
Yeah I'd be a tad surprised if owners with swivel bases have battery clamp/s in place. Certainly mine never has since I've owned it. As well, the Trakka camping battery setup under the rear seat has no clamp either.

So in any event, what's the issue now after 25 years without battery clamps? Planning on flipping her 180 degrees sometime soon?
Cheers from CCNSW.
Ken

Dragged home a 88 Yellow Trakka swivel seats Gold pac with tired leather slim seats.

Had to remove the batteries and found that swivel seats stop you from using the std battery clamp ?

Saw it years ago when Allan at Stokers had it for a few years. Great nic then but now A bit of work but I call it therapy ?

Cheers pete

Pete, yeah its situations like for example ...  6 months expired registration or purchasing syncro interstate that leads to blue slip/roadworthy for compliance/re-registration purposes, these can create real headaches for new owners. Perhaps prudent to avoid these situations, buy already registered non-interstate vans only, particularly where the original Trakka complance plate is missing from the vehicle.

I don't have Trakka hot water setup so not familiar with its functionality. Bare in mind hot water needs to be used promptly after arrival at destination or else heat is soon lost, so pointless having system in the first place, unless you are terribly disciplined to use hotwater when its available, not necessarily when you would really want it. So carting around two storage tanks full of water must be a hell of a permanent extra burden on the 2.1 MV motor etc etc.
There have previously been angst reports here about the reticulated engine cooling system pipe that passes through the hotwater tank to heat the water .... the coolant pipe degrades over time then eventually starts leaking engine coolant into the hotwater tank. Yet another cooling system problem. Who needs this!!!??

Good luck my8. Shame you sold your previous and unique Trakka ... never find one like that again!
Cheers.
Ken

From: "Peter Wilson peterw1000@gmail.com [Syncro_T3_Australia]" <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com>
Date: 16/11/2015 1:39 AM (GMT+10:00)
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] New Old Yella syncro

Hey Ken, Needs the battery retained for roadworthy up here, so think I will fit the original 
 See if they can figure out how to even look at it as its hidden behind the base plate out of view, unless you remove the seat and base.
How does the hot water in the shower work Ken and why isn't there a hot tap in the sink? 
Cheers pete

On Sun, Nov 15, 2015 at 11:08 PM, unclekenz unclekenz@hotmail.com [Syncro_T3_Australia] <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Gday Pete,

Cheers from CCNSW.
Ken

Cheers pete

Pete,

You arrive at an intersection, a semi on you left fails to give way, you get T-boned, your Syncro gets flung on its side, you are knocked out, the battery is dislodged, that battery shorts onto seat frame, the Syncro bursts into flames – and we write your obituary.  

My Syncro never had the original battery retainer (see ETKA) so I made a simpler finger plate (see pic).

For exactly the same reasons, the battery under the back seat needs to be restrained.  Most aftermarket restrainers work quite well.

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com ]
Sent: 16 November 2015 01:34

How does the hot water in the shower work Ken and why isn't there a hot tap in the sink? 

Cheers pete

Gday Pete,

Cheers from CCNSW.

Ken

Cheers pete

My maths tells me that's 3 syncros Pete ? You got too much time on your hands ..
Batteries in the Syncaru seem to be well secured.

Trying to sell a Syncro myself at the mo got room for another one ?

Mark
, but only 1 white 1 blue 1 yellow how many colours are there ?
Mark do you remember what rating or description the pop top gas struts were that you had to get, I need one for my new project
From what I have seen they are measured by newton metres and overall length closed and open
Your van would fit the bill however its on the wrong side of the planet.
This bus found me I did not go looking. Got her running today first time in many years
Have a leak in the vac for the rear locker
water pump noisy
muffler
Attached a couple of shots showing the lack of access to the battery clamp for you Les

On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 9:40 PM, m.mullet@yahoo.com.au [Syncro_T3_Australia] <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

My maths tells me that's 3 syncros Pete ? You got too much time on your hands ..

Mark

Pete, The mistake trakka made was buying the swivels from vw and not buying the correct clamp to go with it. The stud that is hanging off the back of the swivel becomes your new mounting point. Standard battery clamp is 251 915 313. Swivel battery clamp is 251 915 313A. Gregor

From: "Peter Wilson peterw1000@gmail.com [Syncro_T3_Australia]" <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, 17 November 2015, 1:52
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] New Old Yella syncro [2 Attachments]

, but only 1 white 1 blue 1 yellow  how many colours are there ?
Mark do you remember what rating or description the pop top gas struts were that you had to get, I need one for my new project
From what I have seen they are measured by newton metres and overall length closed and open
This bus found me I did not go looking. Got her running today first time in many years
water pump noisy
muffler
Attached a couple of shots showing the lack of access to the battery clamp for you Les

On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 9:40 PM, m.mullet@yahoo.com.au [Syncro_T3_Australia] <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Mark

Cheers that is exactly what I was after.
Was thinking the std fitment was impossible to apply without removing base,
So there must be an established option to securing the batteries
pete

On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 10:14 AM, Greg Esposito gregespo73@yahoo.com [Syncro_T3_Australia] <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Pete, The mistake trakka made was buying the swivels from vw and not buying the correct clamp to go with it. The stud that is hanging off the back of the swivel becomes your new mounting point. Standard battery clamp is 251 915 313. Swivel battery clamp is 251 915 313A. Gregor

Mark do you remember what rating or description the pop top gas struts were that you had to get, I need one for my new project
water pump noisy
muffler

Mark

A little bit of knowledge can go a long way when connected through a forum like this
Cheers Gregor

On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 10:14 AM, Greg Esposito gregespo73@yahoo.com [Syncro_T3_Australia] <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Pete, The mistake trakka made was buying the swivels from vw and not buying the correct clamp to go with it. The stud that is hanging off the back of the swivel becomes your new mounting point. Standard battery clamp is 251 915 313. Swivel battery clamp is 251 915 313A. Gregor

water pump noisy
muffler

Mark

Nice new bus Peter.

I really like it and it is clearly one of the first syncros into the country with the round head-lights.

I have a factory swivel on my passenger side and it bolts through the old tracks in four places which picks it up about 30mm above the normal passenger seat height. Swivels fine and battery is accessible just but I have removed the cover and just put a carpet mat over the Varta deep cycle battery.

I use a factory clamp too.

Cheers,

Skot

On 17/11/2015 12:34 PM, Peter Wilson peterw1000@gmail.com [Syncro_T3_Australia] wrote:
A little bit of knowledge can go a long way when connected through a forum like this
Cheers Gregor

water pump noisy
muffler

Mark

Heh Pete,
For good measure, may as well add my battery pic to the mix too!
Many years ago I decided the battery + pole was way too adjacent to the grounded swivel base so my remedy was to install the proprietary + pole insulating cover as shown, supplied by the battery manufacturer and for good measure, added the insulation strip shown to the edge/top/bottom faces  of the swivel base. Works for me and has prevented accidental shorting of the + pole to ground ever since.

Also, having a quick battery disconnect on the neg pole I find very convenient.
Cheers.
Ken

Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2015 11:31:04 +1000

Cheers that is exactly what I was after.
 Was thinking the std fitment was impossible to apply without removing base,
 So there must be an established option to securing the batteries
pete

Pete, The mistake trakka made was buying the swivels from vw and not buying the correct clamp to go with it. The stud that is hanging off the back of the swivel becomes your new mounting point. Standard battery clamp is 251 915 313. Swivel battery clamp is 251 915 313A. Gregor

, but only 1 white 1 blue 1 yellow  how many colours are there ?
Mark do you remember what rating or description the pop top gas struts were that you had to get, I need one for my new project
water pump noisy
muffler

Mark

Hey Guys , Does anyone know the seat type for these leather ones in old Yella the bed is done in the same leather so am I right thinking they are Aus Fitted.

Some forums say they are Carret some Recaro any Ideas

Cheers

This explains a bit about the T3s Syncros and Seats but nothing describing the source of the seats

On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 9:39 AM, peterw1000@gmail.com [Syncro_T3_Australia] <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hey Guys , Does anyone know the seat type for these leather ones in old Yella the bed is done in the same leather so am I right thinking they are Aus Fitted.

Cheers

I think trakka used Stratos seats. Gregor

Sent: Thursday, 19 November 2015, 13:21
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: New Old Yella syncro

This explains a bit about the T3s Syncros and Seats but nothing describing the source of the seats

On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 9:39 AM, peterw1000@gmail.com [Syncro_T3_Australia] <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Cheers

Gregor,

A report on the Yarra Glen DOTVW would be of interest to all if you can manage a bit of time.

Les

Thanks for the reply Gregor

much Appreciated

Pete

It was a lovely day Les. We had ten syncros and three ring-ins. We raised $260 for the club which is nice as they are so generous with space and trophies etc. We had the pleasure of Scotts company as he was on his bay window dash (great to meet you mate).  Phill came down from Bowral and Roger made us all jealous by leaving with his windows up! As is tradition in our little posse the over all honours are not awarded on mundane attributes such as luster and reliability but rather on a long term commitment to the adventure that is syncro ownership. This year the prize went to Francesca and her merry band of men. From what I hear their syncro is going great guns after a trip to John Goodison. May the Perspex glory adorn your mantel for many years to come Francesca. Gregor