G'Day Guys, I'm new to the forum so I thought I'd introduce myself.

My name is Peter Farrer (aka Profpinz) and for some time now I've been contemplating adding a T3 Syncro to my "fleet".

For over 30 years I have been an avid enthusiast and owner of Haflingers and Pinzgauers (I currently have two of each) and so I think a T3 Syncro may fit perfectly with my desire for a more road suitable long distance touring machine which still has 4WD and diff locks, adequate room in the back for camping/sleeping and the ability to tow a Haflinger on a trailer to Shows etc.....Additionally the Syncro's close family ties my Steyr Puch vehicles is a major bonus.

In the next few months I intend to research in more detail the viability of Syncro ownership and the availability of the vehicles etc, and as my knowledge of these vehicles is minimal I thought I'd benefit greatly from joining a forum of passionate owners and experts....so I if ask some questions that seem obvious please be patient!

For those who maybe interested in the Syncros Austrian cousins (Haflinger and Pinzgauers) please feel free to browse my website at:

http://members.westnet.com.au/profpinz/index_temp.htm

or

www.ozpinz.com

I look forward to learning a lot more about the Syncro, and hopefully in the not too distant future there will be a vehicle out there with my name on it.

Regards,

Peter.

The addition of Peter Farrer to our membership provides a tie between the Syncro and the other remarkable (and remarkably competent) products of Steyr Puch – the Haflinger and the Pinzgauer.   Have a look at Peter’s excellent website – it is well worth a visit.

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of profpinz
Sent: 05 April 2011 11:48
To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Newbie

My name is Peter Farrer (aka Profpinz) and for some time now I've been contemplating adding a T3 Syncro to my "fleet".

For over 30 years I have been an avid enthusiast and owner of Haflingers and Pinzgauers (I currently have two of each) and so I think a T3 Syncro may fit perfectly with my desire for a more road suitable long distance touring machine which still has 4WD and diff locks, adequate room in the back for camping/sleeping and the ability to tow a Haflinger on a trailer to Shows etc.....Additionally the Syncro's close family ties my Steyr Puch vehicles is a major bonus.

In the next few months I intend to research in more detail the viability of Syncro ownership and the availability of the vehicles etc, and as my knowledge of these vehicles is minimal I thought I'd benefit greatly from joining a forum of passionate owners and experts....so I if ask some questions that seem obvious please be patient!

For those who maybe interested in the Syncros Austrian cousins (Haflinger and Pinzgauers) please feel free to browse my website at:

or

www.ozpinz.com

I look forward to learning a lot more about the Syncro, and hopefully in the not too distant future there will be a vehicle out there with my name on it.

Regards,

Peter.

Les, I have just done so and it is excellent.

I'd like to echo Les' welcome to Peter and I look forward to discovering more....

Regards
Mark.

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 12:05 PM, Les Harris <leslieharris@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

The addition of Peter Farrer to our membership provides a tie between the Syncro and the other remarkable (and remarkably competent) products of Steyr Puch – the Haflinger and the Pinzgauer. Have a look at Peter’s excellent website – it is well worth a visit.

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of profpinz
Sent: 05 April 2011 11:48
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Newbie

or

www.ozpinz.com

Regards,

Peter.

A belated big G'day to all. Joined the Group a while back and have been a bit slow to say 'Hello'.
I've been permanently on the Road for going on 10 years now, firstly whith a 2WD Transporter and the last 6 or so with a Syncro.
I rely for everything on Solar - Fridges, Lights, TV and Radio, Internet, keeping the Start Batteries full ('cos I usually camp at good spots for weeks at a time) and don't like to frequent the likes of Caravan Parks - give me 'off the Beaten Track' mostly.
Don't know much about the Mechanics of a Syncro - but if you look after 'em with the Basics, is there any need to? - as far as Solar is concerned, that's a different Ball Game and there's plenty of misleading information out there, but I can honestly say that I've 'been there and bought the T Shirt', so if I can contribute anything in that regard then I'll feel that I'm not just a sleeper, sponger or whatever the term is.
In the meantime, I'll trawl back over some of the Posts and chuck in a comment or two if that's OK.
Michael.
Hi Michael,

Welcome to the group. Seems like an interesting life you lead. There are a few of us who'd like to do more travelling off the beaten track in our Syncros. Perhaps you can let us know about some of the hidden hot spots. Can you really run a fridge on solar power? Ours came with a BP solar panel that's just enough to run the 12V lights.

Regards,

Francesca.

PS If you ever run into an old bloke with a beard in a converted Toyota troop carrier, that'd be my uncle. I only mention it because he's been on the road for 20-odd years, and there's not too many places he hasn't been.

On 1 June 2011 19:22, blayney_michael <embkb2@bigpond.com> wrote:

A belated big G'day to all. Joined the Group a while back and have been a bit slow to say 'Hello'.
I've been permanently on the Road for going on 10 years now, firstly whith a 2WD Transporter and the last 6 or so with a Syncro.
I rely for everything on Solar - Fridges, Lights, TV and Radio, Internet, keeping the Start Batteries full ('cos I usually camp at good spots for weeks at a time) and don't like to frequent the likes of Caravan Parks - give me 'off the Beaten Track' mostly.
Don't know much about the Mechanics of a Syncro - but if you look after 'em with the Basics, is there any need to? - as far as Solar is concerned, that's a different Ball Game and there's plenty of misleading information out there, but I can honestly say that I've 'been there and bought the T Shirt', so if I can contribute anything in that regard then I'll feel that I'm not just a sleeper, sponger or whatever the term is.
In the meantime, I'll trawl back over some of the Posts and chuck in a comment or two if that's OK.
Michael.

Love to see your rig Michael. Any chance of pix? What have you been doing for 10 years to keep you out there. Are you a Romany gypsie or just a lost hippie?

Michael.

--
Regards

Michael

Michael Rayner East Light Photography
PO Box 144
MALLACOOTA VIC 3892

MOB: 0409 241 672
BUS: 0351169401
A/H: (03)5158 0346

Web: www.michaelraynerphotography.com.au
Email: michaelrayner@exemail.com.au

Gday Michael,
Welcome aboard and yes we love to see people such as yourself post here to cross fertilise ideas/experiences/methods for improving/maintaining onboard facilities, in particular how to survive away from 240vac using only solar power for all your on-board gear and for extended stays in one spot. Bit of a rats nest this topic usually. can you at least summarise your working setup? TIA.
Cheers.
Ken

Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2011 19:33:53 +1000
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Newbie

Hi Michael,

Welcome to the group. Seems like an interesting life you lead. There are a few of us who'd like to do more travelling off the beaten track in our Syncros. Perhaps you can let us know about some of the hidden hot spots. Can you really run a fridge on solar power? Ours came with a BP solar panel that's just enough to run the 12V lights.

Regards,

Francesca.

PS If you ever run into an old bloke with a beard in a converted Toyota troop carrier, that'd be my uncle. I only mention it because he's been on the road for 20-odd years, and there's not too many places he hasn't been.

Michael.

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, Francesca Coles <fcoles6@...> wrote:
>
> Hi Michael,
>
> Welcome to the group. Seems like an interesting life you lead. There are a
> few of us who'd like to do more travelling off the beaten track in our
> Syncros. Perhaps you can let us know about some of the hidden hot spots. Can
> you really run a fridge on solar power? Ours came with a BP solar panel
> that's just enough to run the 12V lights.
>
> Regards,
>
> Francesca.
>
> PS If you ever run into an old bloke with a beard in a converted Toyota
> troop carrier, that'd be my uncle. I only mention it because he's been on
> the road for 20-odd years, and there's not too many places he hasn't been.
>
>
...Hmm, guess it should be Ladies first, but that may sort out some more info as well.
I have 560watts of Solar Panels and run a 40L freezer and a 25L Fridge-sounds a bit Irish doesn't it- but that suits when away from Towns.
Also use Sat.TV, Computer, Lights, Radio and all the things that take a few milliamps like Mobile Phone, Internet Modem etc.
Now, my set-up is based on long-term living and allows for a good few days without full sunshine, so it's not necessarily what everyone needs.
On the roof I have 2x85W Panels and 1x60W. Unfortunately this is a Camper- would've rather had a fixed-roof version to put more on but anyways .... the other Panels are free-standing and yes, I tow a 6x4 to keep stuff in. How I run my set-up and how anybody else would depends on what their needs and situation are, eg. the odd week away or month away, the size of the Fridge- whether it's Fridge or Freezer, etc. etc.
As far as OUR Vehichles go, there are a few interestng and innovative options that can make it all work and my experiences may hopefully be able to add.
Francesca, I remember a particular old bloke with a beard in a converted Toyota troop carrier, but don't remember where or when - got a feeling it was West of Isisford last year - sound right?
As for good Spots, I find that the Long Paddock, book on the NSW Stock Routes and the Qld equivalent as pretty good 'cos the invading Grey Nomads stick to the Camps Australia Wide book and really know how to park-up wall-to-wall. 'Nother good one is the Sweetwater Fishing website.
Gotta take a breath - plenty to add a comment to from some of the Posts but I'm puffed out.
Michael.
--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, Michael Rayner <mallaner@...> wrote:
>
> Love to see your rig Michael. Any chance of pix? What have you been doing
> for 10 years to keep you out there. Are you a Romany gypsie or just a lost
> hippie?
>

Got a second Wind - No, Michael just a fella that got fed up with it all - well Gypsy maybe 'cos I woked in the Bush all my life and moved around from job to job.
Don't have a Camera and the Mobile takes pretty useless Pics but Old Mate is catching up shortly so I'll ask him to take a few.
Michael.
--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, Ken Garratt <unclekenz@...> wrote:
>
>
> Gday Michael,Welcome aboard and yes we love to see people such as yourself post here to cross fertilise ideas/experiences/methods for improving/maintaining onboard facilities, in particular how to survive away from 240vac using only solar power for all your on-board gear and for extended stays in one spot. Bit of a rats nest this topic usually. can you at least summarise your working setup? TIA.Cheers.Ken
>

Thanks for that Ken, and believe me, I know where you're coming from regarding Solar, Batteries and Regulators and the down-right lies that the are propagated by some parts of this Industry.
I've made mistakes to the tune of maybe $1000 due to not doing - or know how to do - my homework.
I've read the recent Posts by both Phill and Thomas regarding the Sidewinder info and will add my two bobs worth later. All I can say is that there are some very relevant facts that need to be part of everyone who's considering setting up for Solar and can see none of the most important ones mentioned as yet.
Michael.
Michael,

Firstly welcome again to the group - we are an odd bunch.

I am also interested in the solar panel thing but really just to be able to run my Weaco fridge and possibly an inverter to power chargers for mobile phones, and the boss's hair drier.

We only have the starting battery and a 80Amp/hr leisure battery to keep things going to date and all that could handle is around 24 hours before the fridge will stop working due to the smart charge system cutting off the supply at some voltage which I cant remember.

I was looking at some eBay foldable panels of around 120 Watts which could be placed in the sun whilst I park the syncro in the shade to help the fridge out - if shade is available. I could then move the panels around and catch the sun as it wanders around the sky.

What sort of wattage do you think I would need for that sort of load in reasonable sunshine every day?

Sorry to put you on the spot but any help or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Skot

On 5/06/2011 7:34 PM, blayney_michael wrote:

>
>
> Gday Michael,Welcome aboard and yes we love to see people such as yourself post here to cross fertilise ideas/experiences/methods for improving/maintaining onboard facilities, in particular how to survive away from 240vac using only solar power for all your on-board gear and for extended stays in one spot. Bit of a rats nest this topic usually. can you at least summarise your working setup? TIA.Cheers.Ken
>

Thanks for that Ken, and believe me, I know where you're coming from regarding Solar, Batteries and Regulators and the down-right lies that the are propagated by some parts of this Industry.
I've made mistakes to the tune of maybe $1000 due to not doing - or know how to do - my homework.
I've read the recent Posts by both Phill and Thomas regarding the Sidewinder info and will add my two bobs worth later. All I can say is that there are some very relevant facts that need to be part of everyone who's considering setting up for Solar and can see none of the most important ones mentioned as yet.
Michael.

Michael,
Probably the average syncro camper owners main concern is having the ability to, as a minimum, provide enough juice to maintain a 12vdc refrigerator over say 2-5 days on a campsite without 240vac.
There seem to be two main alternatives, an adequate sized solar setup supplying daily charging or else a large camping battery say 250 amps charged through a smart charger fitted to the alternator. One of our members has the latter setup, his was one of the few syncros on the inaugural 2007 Batemans Bay Tour who had no trouble keeping his fridge cold, unlike some of the rest of us who were there and struggled or failed. The weather was hot at the time.
I've certainly learnt since that my single 71 watt solar panel isn't up to that task, probably the minimum would be 2 panels knocking out around 160 watt or more.

Be great to hear some more of your thoughts. TIA.

Cheers.

Ken

Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2011 09:34:15 +0000
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Newbie

>
>
>

Michael.

Hey Skot

I noticed JayCar have a special on 120W foldable solar panels for $850. I don't know how that compares to eBay. 

Paul Dumais 
Byron bay 
Thanks Paul.

I saw that too.

Ebay is a different level of pricing all together. For a 120W panel system you are only looking @ $300 with all the connections and control box included with about 4m of cable.

Like the clothing issue, the lack of shop front makes them very able to significantly undercut prices.

Jaycar are coming down in price.

This same system a year ago was around $1200 @ Jaycar.

Skot
Terrigal

On 6/06/2011 8:09 AM, Paul Dumais wrote:
Hey Skot

I noticed JayCar have a special on 120W foldable solar panels for $850. I don't know how that compares to eBay.

Paul Dumais
Byron bay

Hey Scott, do the fridge manufactures give an approximate power consumption? I know it would vary with ambient temp and door opening, but someone must have worked out an average. As for my set up, the previous owner fitted a brand new Vitrifrigo and there is a 90ah agm and a 70ah calcium under the rock and roll bed. This gives us three days in the bush which is usually the point at which we go to a caravan park and get cleaned up and charged up. The vitrifigo has a danfoss compressor with auto cut out at 11 point something. Is it engle or weaco that use the same compressor? Any way my point is I inherited this set up but it works great. Adding another battery under your seat may be a cheap and easy solution. Three days in the bush with a one year old and a three year old is all the courage we can muster at the moment. Greg E

Sent: Sunday, 5 June 2011 10:13 PM
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Newbie

Michael,

I am also interested in the solar panel thing but really just to be able to run my Weaco fridge and possibly an inverter to power chargers for mobile phones, and the boss's hair drier.

We only have the starting battery and a 80Amp/hr leisure battery to keep things going to date and all that could handle is around 24 hours before the fridge will stop working due to the smart charge system cutting off the supply at some voltage which I cant remember.

I was looking at some eBay foldable panels of around 120 Watts which could be placed in the sun whilst I park the syncro in the shade to help the fridge out - if shade is available. I could then move the panels around and catch the sun as it wanders around the sky.

What sort of wattage do you think I would need for that sort of load in reasonable sunshine every day?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Skot

>
>
>

Michael.

I’ve got a Waeco fridge/freezer with a built in battery(18H) and an extra 75AH battery in the car. I have no trouble getting at least 3 days out of this setup...the fridge uses<.8A per hour on fridge and about 1.7A on freezer. All specs are available online for most manufacturers. The power usage has really come down with the newer generation compressors used these days and the batteries are getting better!!! I’ve recently seen 100AH batteries on Ebay for <$200 that can also be used to start the vehicle so when the time arrives I’ll buy 2 of these to replace what I have now.I’ll find some links and post tonight....

Michael.Townsville 88 Syncro with all the lockers and stuff.....

Sent: Monday, June 06, 2011 8:16 AM

Hey Scott, do the fridge manufactures give an approximate power consumption? I know it would vary with ambient temp and door opening, but someone must have worked out an average. As for my set up, the previous owner fitted a brand new Vitrifrigo and there is a 90ah agm and a 70ah calcium under the rock and roll bed. This gives us three days in the bush which is usually the point at which we go to a caravan park and get cleaned up and charged up. The vitrifigo has a danfoss compressor with auto cut out at 11 point something. Is it engle or weaco that use the same compressor? Any way my point is I inherited this set up but it works great. Adding another battery under your seat may be a cheap and easy solution. Three days in the bush with a one year old and a three year old is all the courage we can muster at the moment. Greg E

Sent: Sunday, 5 June 2011 10:13 PM

Michael,

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Skot

--- In mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia%40yahoogroups.com, Ken Garratt mailto:unclekenz@... wrote:
>
>
>

Michael.

Thanks for all the info, Michael. You're generating a bit of interest with your roving life and solar set-up. You've obviously fine-tuned your system through trial and error, and it's good to benefit from your experience. Right now chasing the sun further north in a Syncro sounds like a grand idea. Might look into that Long Paddock book.

Francesca.

On 6 June 2011 01:05, Ken Garratt <unclekenz@hotmail.com> wrote:

Michael,

Probably the average syncro camper owners main concern is having the ability to, as a minimum, provide enough juice to maintain a 12vdc refrigerator over say 2-5 days on a campsite without 240vac.
There seem to be two main alternatives, an adequate sized solar setup supplying daily charging or else a large camping battery say 250 amps charged through a smart charger fitted to the alternator. One of our members has the latter setup, his was one of the few syncros on the inaugural 2007 Batemans Bay Tour who had no trouble keeping his fridge cold, unlike some of the rest of us who were there and struggled or failed. The weather was hot at the time.
I've certainly learnt since that my single 71 watt solar panel isn't up to that task, probably the minimum would be 2 panels knocking out around 160 watt or more.

Be great to hear some more of your thoughts. TIA.

Cheers.

Ken

Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2011 09:34:15 +0000
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Newbie

>
>
>

Michael.