No Subject

Hi All,

Just been informed by Rita (Les’ Partner) that Les has passed away at 9.45 am today.

Hart
Sorry to hear we lost a valued member :(
May he rest in peace. 

Regards
Steve

On 21 Mar 2017, at 18:36, Hartmut Kiehn hartis@live.com.au [Syncro_T3_Australia] <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hi All,

Just been informed by Rita (Les’ Partner) that Les has passed away at 9.45 am today.

Hart

Thats terrible.

But not unexpected.

Let us know of any funeral details.

Thanks,

Scott

On 21/03/2017 6:36 PM, Hartmut Kiehn hartis@live.com.au [Syncro_T3_Australia] wrote:

Hi All,

Hart

Hello Hartmut. 

Appreciate you informing us.  My heart felt sympathies go out to Rita.  

Thank you, and Rest in Peace Les.

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> on behalf of Hartmut Kiehn hartis@live.com.au [Syncro_T3_Australia] <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, 21 March 2017 7:36 AM
To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia]

Hi All,

Hart

A sad day

Thank you Hartmut for letting me know.

Vale Les. Sorry to hear of his passing, he will certainly be missed.

Les's contribution to the OZ syncro community is unique and unparalleled, we all are now entering a period of change and uncertainty not ever faced before, such a period most already knew was certainly on the horizon .... but just not when.
May he rest in peace.

Kindest regards.
Ken

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> on behalf of Hartmut Kiehn hartis@live.com.au [Syncro_T3_Australia] <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, 21 March 2017 6:36 PM

Hi All,

Hart

A loss to all who knew him.

On 21 Mar 2017, at 6:36 PM, Hartmut Kiehn hartis@live.com.au [Syncro_T3_Australia] <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hi All,

Hart

Very sad to know. He will be greatly missed, having known Les for well over 10 years. Condolences to Rita. Glad to know that he was well looked after.

Theo & Christine

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Tuesday, 21 March 2017 5:37 PM

Hi All,

Hart

Very sad news but I knew through Hart that he had not been well. Unfortunately I never had the chance to meet Les in person. His contribution to the Syncro world was invaluable, as was his stewardship of our Yahoo group.

Peter from Port

RIP Les,

I feel this it is a sad thing for the Syncro group.
Thank you for your contribution in creating this group,
which has served great value to members, myself included.
Though I dont think we met in person, but I feel you will be missed..

Rowan Hardinge 

On Wednesday, 22 March 2017, 20:08, "'Peter Coe' peter@coeconsult.com.au [Syncro_T3_Australia]" <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Very sad news but I knew through Hart that he had not been well. Unfortunately I never had the chance to meet Les in person. His contribution to the Syncro world was invaluable, as was his stewardship of our Yahoo group.
Peter from Port

Thank you Les for this group and keeping my van on the road.  Advice and support of Les and this group has been invaluable to me.  Sam
RIP Les,

Thanks for your valued contribution to the VW SYNCRO experience.

The forum has lost a lot of technical expertise without Les input.

Tom

From: "Hartmut Kiehn hartis@live.com.au [Syncro_T3_Australia]" <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com>
To: "Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com" <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, 22 March 2017, 14:14

Hi All,

Hart

Very sad news. He will be missed around here.

Jon.

On 22 Mar 2017 2:14 PM, "Hartmut Kiehn hartis@live.com.au [Syncro_T3_Australia]" <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hi All,

Hart
My condolences to Rita and my sorrow on hearing that Les has died. I have been enriched via this forum by Les and will miss that depth of knowledge attention to detail. I feel that he is ever present in the joy that I get from my Syncro
Colin
Duranbah NSW

On Wednesday, March 22, 2017, 2:14 pm, Hartmut Kiehn hartis@live.com.au [Syncro_T3_Australia] <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hi All,

Hart

Very sorry to hear that Hart, as others have said a great loss to the Syncro community and no doubt to his family.

I am a relative newcomer to the Syncro forum, and did not get to know Les very well directly, but have certainly benefitted from his experience and passion for this group!

Richard

Hi Ken,

Adding a bit more to my previous post (below) along with full name

Very sorry to hear of Les's passing, he has been a great inspiration in my Syncro ownership, the Syncro community and no doubt to his family.

I am a relative newcomer to the Syncro forum, and did not get to know Les very well directly, but have certainly benefitted from his experience and passion for this group! My purchase of a Syncro was a logical progression for me from owning a T2 kombi, but soon found the finding information and parts a struggle. Luckily I was convinced to join the Syncro forum.

Les was there to help when I first tried to join, and has been there answering questions support along the way!

Can't thank you enough Les, RIP

Richard Beckers

---In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, <cathrich1@...> wrote :

Very sorry to hear that Hart, as others have said a great loss to the Syncro community and no doubt to his family.

I am a relative newcomer to the Syncro forum, and did not get to know Les very well directly, but have certainly benefitted from his experience and passion for this group!

Richard

Hi Ken,

Thanks for taking the time to put this tribute together. 
Yes, very sad news hearing that Les had passed away, my thoughts go out to Rita and other family members and all friends on this very sad occasion. I have some great memories of him from early days of the group. He was very happy to see another Syncro, which I had purchased earlier that year from Mark Boys arriving at the DOTVW (circa 2003) held at Cranbourne race course. Les was annoyed at the organisers lack of interest, acknowledgement or care for our choice of Volkswagen and he was ready to have our own little display out in the carpark! With some negotiating we managed to secure a nice spot amongst the trees inside the course. Our display showed quite a lot of interest from the ‘punters’ on the day and from then on the VW club of Victoria started to take us a lot more seriously! It was fabulous hearing Les’s amazing stories and opinions over the years. I dropped in to his place for a coffee once when working nearby and I think I left about 4 hours later! So easy to get lost in conversation over Syncro and other stories! Sadly my Syncro was off the road for many years but I finally have it going again with a 2.5 Subi conversion. Its so good to be driving it again, I’m sorry Les didn’t get to hear it was finally back on the road.
I always enjoy reading the posts and I thank Les for his passion in getting this group together to help keep these amazing cars alive. I have missed reading his very knowledgable replies over the last few years but its always been a nice surprise reading the odd one that popped up!

Thank you Les.

Rest in Peace.

Andy Sinclair
Aspendale, Victoria
1989 VW Syncro Transporter

On 26 Mar 2017, at 10:29 pm, cathrich1@yahoo.com.au [Syncro_T3_Australia] <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hi Ken,

Very sorry to hear of Les's passing, he has been a great inspiration in my Syncro ownership, the Syncro community and no doubt to his family.

I am a relative newcomer to the Syncro forum, and did not get to know Les very well directly, but have certainly benefitted from his experience and passion for this group! My purchase of a Syncro was a logical progression for me from owning a T2 kombi, but soon found the finding information and parts a struggle. Luckily I was convinced to join the Syncro forum.

Les was there to help when I first tried to join, and has been there answering questions support along the way!

Richard Beckers

---In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, <cathrich1@...> wrote :

Richard

As a relative newcomer to these parts, I met Les twice both times at the VW shows in Melbourne. The first time was pre-ownship in 2011 when we were scouring the car sales for vehicles as they came up. Les was very helpful in pointing us in the right direction and offering advice on what to look out for. My wife was heavily pregnant with number one son at the time and Les offered her a seat outside his van for a chat.

Roll on to 2012 and we turned up to the show with two new babies in tow! Number one son and current Syncro. A good long chat with Les again where he regaled past Syncro adventures and offered up help on some niggles with the van.

Since then we have communicated by email plenty of times. He always took the time respond throughly and answered every question thoughtfully. A true gent.

The last conversations we had were about moving the forum from Yahoo or at least backing up the valuable content as he was afraid it may one day disappear (he was not a fan of Yahoo). Between us we did make some in-roads into this. I for one would like to see the forum continue in Les’ honour. Perhaps more on this topic at a later date.

Unfortunately I won’t be able to make it on Wednesday

-- 
Jon Bartlett

On 27 March 2017 at 4:24:21 pm, Andy Sinclair andy@summertimerolls.com [Syncro_T3_Australia] (syncro_t3_australia@yahoogroups.com) wrote:

Hi Ken,

Thanks for taking the time to put this tribute together. 
Yes, very sad news hearing that Les had passed away, my thoughts go out to Rita and other family members and all friends on this very sad occasion. I have some great memories of him from early days of the group. He was very happy to see another Syncro, which I had purchased earlier that year from Mark Boys arriving at the DOTVW (circa 2003) held at Cranbourne race course. Les was annoyed at the organisers lack of interest, acknowledgement or care for our choice of Volkswagen and he was ready to have our own little display out in the carpark! With some negotiating we managed to secure a nice spot amongst the trees inside the course. Our display showed quite a lot of interest from the ‘punters’ on the day and from then on the VW club of Victoria started to take us a lot more seriously! It was fabulous hearing Les’s amazing stories and opinions over the years. I dropped in to his place for a coffee once when working nearby and I think I left about 4 hours later! So easy to get lost in conversation over Syncro and other stories! Sadly my Syncro was off the road for many years but I finally have it going again with a 2.5 Subi conversion. Its so good to be driving it again, I’m sorry Les didn’t get to hear it was finally back on the road.
I always enjoy reading the posts and I thank Les for his passion in getting this group together to help keep these amazing cars alive. I have missed reading his very knowledgable replies over the last few years but its always been a nice surprise reading the odd one that popped up!

Thank you Les.

Rest in Peace.

Andy Sinclair
Aspendale, Victoria
1989 VW Syncro Transporter

On 26 Mar 2017, at 10:29 pm, cathrich1@yahoo.com.au [Syncro_T3_Australia] <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hi Ken,

Richard Beckers

---In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, <cathrich1@...> wrote :

Richard