Oil pressure switch

Here's an important problem to watch out for.
Dropped the syncro in to have an oil leak at the rear of the engine investigated. Turns out to be the oil pressure switch ( just under the water pump )
My mechanic has seen two motors get fried as the oil disappeared faster than a fart in a fan factory when the thing came out.
Moral of the story : watch those oil leaks.

Mark
Hi there,

Up and running after an overdue renewal.

Thanks for that advice about oil leaks. We have the same leak, with conspicuous oil patches under the van, so good to be warned of the worst-case scenario. Any idea about what it might cost to repair?

Also, has anyone replaced a power steering pump in the recent past? If so, what's the likely damage? Is it a syncro-specific part? Getting a bit sick of that wheezing parking soundtrack....

Thanks,

Francesca.

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 12:39 AM, m.mullet <m.mullet@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

Dropped the syncro in to have an oil leak at the rear of the engine investigated. Turns out to be the oil pressure switch ( just under the water pump )
My mechanic has seen two motors get fried as the oil disappeared faster than a fart in a fan factory when the thing came out.

Mark

Gday Mark,

This also happened to our family car just this year .... engine oil found dripping onto the floor of the garage alerted me to there being a problem. My local mechanic traced it to the oil pressure switch, I think the internal seal of the switch itself gives up the ghost. Simply installed a new oil pressure switch. Timely reminder, thanks Mark.

Cheers.

Ken 

To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 14:39:59 +0000
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Oil pressure switch

Mark

Click here to find out more POP access for Hotmail is here!

Francesca,

Oil pressure switches usually have a tapered thread (and I haven’t looked at my Syncro to confirm this) and usually leak because they need to be tightened.  Anyone who has had their engine out can probably confirm this.  It can happen that the thread in the crankcase has been damaged but any good workshop can fix this with a Helicoil, which is a thread insert. 

The power steering pump is common to all t3’s, not just the Syncro.  Lloyd Davies will be able to give you a price.  The changeover is simple. 

But if you are getting a noise only on full lock parking, the pump might be quite OK.  There is a device in the steering rack that bypasses the pump pressure when the steering reaches full lock so that the pump is not still trying to turn the steering when it can’t turn any further.  Someone like Lloyd could diagnose this just by listening to it.

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of Francesca Coles
Sent: 25 September 2009 18:15
To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Oil pressure switch

Hi there,

Thanks for that advice about oil leaks. We have the same leak, with conspicuous oil patches under the van, so good to be warned of the worst-case scenario. Any idea about what it might cost to repair? 

Also, has anyone replaced a power steering pump in the recent past? If so, what's the likely damage? Is it a syncro-specific part? Getting a bit sick of that wheezing parking soundtrack.. ..

Thanks,

Francesca.

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 12:39 AM, m.mullet <m.mullet@yahoo. com.au> wrote:

Mark

Francesca,

Before assuming the pump is defective, might I suggest you check the fluid level. In my experience it is frequently the cause of the noise.

BenT
Sent from my mobile device

On Sep 25, 2009, at 1:15 AM, Francesca Coles <fcoles6@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi there,

Also, has anyone replaced a power steering pump in the recent past? If so, what's the likely damage? Is it a syncro-specific part? Getting a bit sick of that wheezing parking soundtrack....

Thanks,

Francesca.

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 12:39 AM, m.mullet <m.mullet@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

Mark

And thanks too, Les. Fingers crossed it may not need replacing.