poptop conversions

I just joined the group having just bought a 'hardtop' 87 syncro. (I live in the USA). I want to
convert it to a camper with a poptop/bed combo. I saw the picture of the syncro on the
group's intro page and it looks like it has a poptop that is a lot flatter and neater than the
Westfalia one's. BTW I have a 2wd westy as well.

Anyone have info on this van or suggestions from local experience. I cannot find any
companies in the USA still extant that do the conversion.

thanks,

witoke2
That is my Syncro and the camper conversion is by the Australian company TRAKKA. 

It has drawn a lot of interest from around the world of Syncro owners but, sadly, it is no longer in production.  Worse still, the company moved premises from Chatswood in Sydney to Asquith, a suburb on the northern outskirts of Sydney, about a decade ago.  In this process, they dumped not only all of their old moulds (that's mold in USspeak) but also all of the supporting records.  I contacted them to try to get the wiring diagram when I acquired my Syncro two years ago and found that everything had long been dumped.

A couple of overseas Syncro owners have contacted me recently asking for more information and pics.  I have just moved house and workshop and haven't had the time to do a proper reply but expect to be able to do so in the next few days.  I will add you to the list and reply direct rather than post to the website.  I have the original brochures and have scanned them, so I will include them also.

Les Harris
Australian Syncronauts.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, February 19, 2006 6:23 AM
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] poptop conversions

>I just joined the group having just bought a 'hardtop' 87 syncro. (I live in the USA). I want to
> convert it to a camper with a poptop/bed
combo. I saw the picture of the syncro on the
> group's intro page and it
looks like it has a poptop that is a lot flatter and neater than the
>
Westfalia one's. BTW I have a 2wd westy as well.
>
> Anyone have
info on this van or suggestions from local experience. I cannot find any
> companies in the USA still extant that do the conversion.
>
> thanks,
>
> witoke2