Radiator update

Just took delivery of a new radiator from Tooley Imports in Sydney. P/N 068 121 253DG. This is the latest incarnation of the tropical radiator, made by the O/E supplier Behr/Hella in South Africa. At first glance it looks identical to the original. Importantly, the core thickness is 45 mm, just like it should be. $380 + GST. I bought two, so I would have one for the spare van, which I might get round to doing up one day.

Bought a heap of other service parts to make the $55 delivery fee worthwhile, plus some bits for a mate.

Also ordered a set of Kolbenschmidt high-compression DJ pistons from Brickwerks in the UK, along with some other goodies, and some silicone hoses and stainless steel coolant pipes from Gowesty, with a SS coolant reservoir.

With retirement looming, it is time to think preparing the old girl for some adventures.

Stripping back the paint to bare metal for a respray will be the most daunting task, along with cutting holes in the bodywork for extra water and fuel tanks.

Tempted to paint it in house paint with a sable brush, just like the old splitty that took me on a lot of missions. Berger Breeze Bushtrack Brown on the bottom half, Colonial White top, and Outback Brown for the bumper bars and pin-stripes. The Cappucino Kombi that didn't show the dirt.

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com ]
Sent: 11 February 2016 22:14
To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Radiator update

Tempted to paint it in house paint with a sable brush, just like the old splitty that took me on a lot of missions. Berger Breeze Bushtrack Brown on the bottom half, Colonial White top, and Outback Brown for the bumper bars and pin-stripes. The Cappucino Kombi that didn't show the dirt.

Love it!!

Hi Roger and all,
Bought the same radiator as you from Tooleys on 25th January. I went there expecting to buy an original 068 121 253E and so was concerned the radiator presented was labelled 068 121 253DG. It "looks" the goods, let's hope there are no surprises during fitting. Comes with a new brass bleeder bolt and flat copper washer.

For those like me who do not have a trade account with Tooleys, then expect to pay $418.20 + GST, a total of $460.02.

Your previous post mentioned about a "never ever seen" top and bottom gasket that is listed in ETKA as 431 819 225 gasket 1360mm in length. It appears to be a sponge gasket of unknown dimension and density and has one side with a double sided sticky strip, and assuming the gasket is cut in two so as to provide a piece each for top and bottom. The link below provides an enlarged view of the gasket which apparently is also used for other purposes in VW cars. In which case it may be available from the friendly spare parts VW dealer nearby!
Or else see what equivalent might be available from a Clark Rubber store. Looking at the picture, dimensionally it's around say 40mm x 20mm or less.

Goto: https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/431819225/?gclid=CjwKEAiA__C1BRDqyJOQ8_Tq230SJABWBSxngsZrb2oZcretkW07TlJ0sC4Y8tHRmQPpQSehmIi_thoCmHXw_wcB

Being part of the perimeter baffle/seal system, I wonder if it's worth chasing up for syncros in OZ and/or is it a hot/cold climate issue? 
Cheers.
Ken

-------- Original message --------
From: "gullyraker53@gmail.com [Syncro_T3_Australia]" <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com>
Date: 11/02/2016 10:14 PM (GMT+10:00)
To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Radiator update

Just took delivery of a new radiator from Tooley Imports in Sydney. P/N 068 121 253DG. This is the latest incarnation of the tropical radiator, made by the O/E supplier Behr/Hella in South Africa. At first glance it looks identical to the original. Importantly, the core thickness is 45 mm, just like it should be. $380 + GST. I bought two, so I would have one for the spare van, which I might get round to doing up one day.

Bought a heap of other service parts to make the $55 delivery fee worthwhile, plus some bits for a mate.

Also ordered a set of Kolbenschmidt high-compression DJ pistons from Brickwerks in the UK, along with some other goodies, and some silicone hoses and stainless steel coolant pipes from Gowesty, with a SS coolant reservoir.

With retirement looming, it is time to think preparing the old girl for some adventures.

Stripping back the paint to bare metal for a respray will be the most daunting task, along with cutting holes in the bodywork for extra water and fuel tanks.

Well spotted Ken. My guess is the rubber seal serves two purposes - to improve cooling by not allowing air to escape around the top and bottom of the radiator core, and to cushion the impact of vibration on corrugated roads.

An even more important consideration in this regard is the four rubber mounting washers, 171 121 276D.

I have seen a cracked plastic header tank on a T3 radiator at the local radiator shop It was cracked at the top radiator mount location. If the heavy radiator is not firmly secured, it will flog itself to death.

I will be fitting the densest foam rubber strip that I can find that will compress to form a good seal.

Cheers,

Roger.
Rolls Royce used to paint their cars with a sable brush. Much thicker than spray paint. Paint in the shade on a mild spring or autumn morning with no breeze or blowflies about. Pre-warm the paint in a pot of water on the stove. Work the paint from all directions, finishing with a long steady feather-light caress. Keep some spare paint under the seat for touch up. Beautiful!

More affordable than 10-15K for a professional respray!!

Roger.