RE: swapping in a vanagon instrument cluster with tacho

Yes this is what I went through when I was swapping things over.

I also thought that it would break but I did give an extra pull and they all came out together, phew (now I know what a bomb disposal feels like) I first tried it on the one I was taking out so that it did not matter so much. 

Your idea of CRC would be good.
The other thing is to see if you could get under it and spread the load somehow on the side of the plug that has the connecting lugs?

Let me know how you get on, good luck.

Regards,
Ralph

Gday Ralph,
You are a lifesaver!!
I had absolutely no idea it pulled apart this way, ... as per pic. There is no clue to this. Thanks a lot!
I feel a whole lot better now ... haha.
Much appreciated.
Cheers.
Ken

To: unclekenz@hotmail.com; Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 13:07:47 +1300
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] RE: swapping in a vanagon instrument cluster with tacho [1 Attachment]

[Attachment(s) from Ralph Roden included below]
Hello Ken,

I also thought that it would break but I did give an extra pull and they all came out together, phew (now I know what a bomb disposal feels like) I first tried it on the one I was taking out so that it did not matter so much. 

The other thing is to see if you could get under it and spread the load somehow on the side of the plug that has the connecting lugs?

Regards,
Ralph

Check out The Great Australian Pay Check now Want to know what your boss is paid?
Don't they say "A picture is worth a thousand words"?

Ralph 

Life!....., Don't talk to me about Life.

-----Original Message-----
From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Ken Garratt
Sent: Saturday, 28 November 2009 3:14 p.m.
To: Syncro _T3_Australia forum
Subject: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] RE: swapping in a vanagon instrument cluster with tacho

Gday Ralph,
You are a lifesaver!!
I had absolutely no idea it pulled apart this way, ... as per pic. There is no clue to this. Thanks a lot!
I feel a whole lot better now ... haha.
Much appreciated.
Cheers.
Ken

To: unclekenz@hotmail. com; Syncro_T3_Australia @yahoogroups. com
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australi a] RE: swapping in a vanagon instrument cluster with tacho [1 Attachment]

Hello Ken,

Regards,
Ralph

Check out The Great Australian Pay Check now Want to know what your boss is paid?

Gday Ralph,

All done now after much cleaning, fixing, modding, trialling, just have to final re-fit it tomorrow, see pic.

I did what you suggested ... decided on a blunt sided flat narrow steel blade that slid nicely under and along all 6 contacts of the ribbon connector and gently levered it out .... quite easily as it turned out. Same for the digital clock power connector.

This ex Vanagon cluster had its fair share of splits and cracks in the plastic cluster housing and the plastic tacho head, all of them fixed quite well with superglue. I put flat steel washers on all the fixing screws that fasten the speedo and tacho heads on, I reckon if they had been there in the first place, the washers would have spread the stress load more evenly and stopped a lot of the vibration damage these clusters have been subjected to over 20 years. I reckon unbeknowns to syncro owners, if they removed and inspected their clusters now, they'd be surprised how much vibration/weight stress damage has/is happening to their clusters. I recommend people pull their instrument clusters and check them for damage.

Heh I found 3 cactus illumination globes onboard ... that's like a reverse lottery win eh. I smell a rat. Someones dudded me I reckon ... offloaded their dead globes in one fell swoop .... doh!

The digital clock worried me at first ... it worked straight off but the 2 adjusters wouldn't respond at all. So I pulled the clock and closely eyeballed it. Essentially all the problem is ... there is too much frictional resistance between adjacent static/moving surfaces to do with the adjusters to allow them to function properly. I got in there with high magnification and cleaned/PH greased the offending surfaces ... not the copper contacts though, of course. Both clock adjusters now work beautifully.

In the pic, the top righthand end switch (ex rear door glass de-fogger switch) I've re-deployed now as my on/off switch for the auxiliary front spotlights .... ideal. I had a toggle switch for this function before but this looks much neater. In that de-fogger switch there seems to be fitted an LED or neon indicator light but I tried every contact combination but couldn't get it to light up. Did you try yours Ralph, if so, any glow?

In the pic, the top lefthand corner, that's an independant power supply on/off toggle switch for my CB radio and GPS, idea being that that circuit frees up the dash power outlet for other uses such as recharging phones.

I'm trialling the GoWesty Sync-Roll-O-Meter in that middle position, so far I reckon it doesn't interfere with either instrument info at all .... time will tell though.

Been yet another interesting project completed, I'm looking forward to using the tacho and digital clock.

Thanks again for your help Ralph.

Cheers.

Ken

To: unclekenz@hotmail.com; Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] RE: swapping in a vanagon instrument cluster with tacho [1 Attachment]

Hello Ken,

Regards,
Ralph

View photos of singles in your area! Looking for a date?