Rear Shocks

Hi Syncros,

Great to see those at VALLA!
Just had a much needed wheel alignment after some off road work.
I then had my Suspension Inspected 
My rear bushes and shocks are stuffed.  
Fronts seem to be OK.

I will be getting some rear OME shocks from ARB.
AND some rubber Upper and Lower control arm bushes - Febi or Meli brand
from local parts supplier.  That is all I need in terms of parts for this job is'nt it?

Cheers,

Rowan

The bushes are inner and outer as there is only 
One arm. If you have not done rear where bearings or rear cv joints it might be a good time to think about it. Gregor

Sent from Greg's iPhone

On 1 Aug 2016, at 2:15 PM, Rowan Hardinge rowan.hardinge@yahoo.com [Syncro_T3_Australia] <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hi Syncros,

Fronts seem to be OK.

from local parts supplier.  That is all I need in terms of parts for this job is'nt it?

Cheers,

Rowan

Thanks Greg I will look into it.

On Monday, 1 August 2016, 14:47, "gregespo73@yahoo.com [Syncro_T3_Australia]" <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

The bushes are inner and outer as there is only 
One arm. If you have not done rear where bearings or rear cv joints it might be a good time to think about it. Gregor

Sent from Greg's iPhone

On 1 Aug 2016, at 2:15 PM, Rowan Hardinge rowan.hardinge@yahoo.com [Syncro_T3_Australia] <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hi Syncros,

Fronts seem to be OK.

Cheers,

Rowan

Hi Greg,

original panels were 56W each. They weigh 7-8 kg each compared to the 2 kg flexible monocrystaline panels you can get now. I made mine removable with an Anderson plug so I can rip it off and place it in the sun if needed. Working well so far.

Mark
Cheers Mark I spoke to Nick today by phone at the place in Hines Road you recommended. He sounded like a nice fella?  Was it Nick who did the work on yours or did Karl? I take it your happy with there knowledge and capacity to work on Syncros?  when are you heading off on your trip?  Greg
Hi Rowan,

Last time I priced rear shocks from ARB they were enormously overpriced - it was cheaper to import them from the USA (even though they are made in Australia). Might be worth checking out other alternatives. Remote reservoir shocks are the go.

If you are going to strip down the rear suspension you might want to check the condition of rear wheel bearings and seals, CV joints and gaiters, and rear brakes - since you've got to dismantle them anyway, you might as well recondition them at the same time.

If you order all the parts in advance their will be no time penalty.

At the very least you should regrease the bearings and CV's, and strip and clean the brake adjusters which always seize up with age, and lube the handbrake cables.

Brake slave cylinders are cheap insurance.

Don't forget to mark the slots on the rear suspension arm mounts, or the rear wheels will be out of alignment. Then check the alignment with the old tried-and-true piece of string.

After a quarter of a century, the old girl deserves some TLC.

Cheers, Roger.
Hi Rowan,

I put some OME on my Syncro a few years ago, went to Burleigh ARB for a price. I told them I could get them cheaper for the USA including shipping. They said that the warranty would not be valid in Australia and I would have to send them to the USA if there was a problem.

We had a lengthy discussion on the madness  of this.

In the end I purchased them here all be it for more money, pice of mind incase there was an issue. I paid $770.00 inc GST in Nov 2012.

They are still going strong with Small Cars spring set.

Cheers

PK

Hi, Syncros

Thanks for your input Roger.

Some time ago I was speaking to a guy from King Off-Road Racing Shocks - US company well known in off road racing world.  Anyway he looked under the Syncro and I told him about the Fox Shocks available.  He said that they were not very good quality (compared to Kings) and I was better off to go with OME for the Price.  
I have not heard anyone complaining about their adjustable Fox shocks and they have been out for a while now.

ARB - OME Quoted for a full set $784  - $50 Cheaper in the States - Go figure!  

On Thursday, 4 August 2016, 22:39, "peter.kolevas@gmail.com [Syncro_T3_Australia]" <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hi Rowan,

I put some OME on my Syncro a few years ago, went to Burleigh ARB for a price. I told them I could get them cheaper for the USA including shipping. They said that the warranty would not be valid in Australia and I would have to send them to the USA if there was a problem.

In the end I purchased them here all be it for more money, pice of mind incase there was an issue. I paid $770.00 inc GST in Nov 2012.

Cheers

PK

Hi Rowan

On preparing my Syncro for a round Aussie trip a couple of years ago, I fitted a new set of 4 OME shocks and new heavier springs to the rear.

They handled the Tanami track (dry with bad corrugations) well.Next the Gibb River Road, corrugated, and on to the Mitchel falls, all well.
After returning to the Gibb River Road junction and watching two 4WD being trucked out,I did my daily vehicle check only to find that the two new OME rear shocks were leaking oil. (after about 8000Ks).
At the same time I found a damaged front univeral joint boot holed and leaking grease......temp fix withGaffa tape.

600 dirt Ks later in Broome, I had, within 3 days of order, a new boot from Tooleys  Hornsby  and 2 new shocks from OME under warranty.The workshop had them fitted immediatly whilst NRMA loaned us a car and paid for accomadation.

That life in the outback, in a Syncro, for you.

Cheers
Graham

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, August 07, 2016 10:27 AM
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Rear Shocks

Hi, Syncros

Some time ago I was speaking to a guy from King Off-Road Racing Shocks - US company well known in off road racing world.  Anyway he looked under the Syncro and I told him about the Fox Shocks available.  He said that they were not very good quality (compared to Kings) and I was better off to go with OME for the Price.  
I have not heard anyone complaining about their adjustable Fox shocks and they have been out for a while now.

On Thursday, 4 August 2016, 22:39, "peter.kolevas@gmail.com [Syncro_T3_Australia]" <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hi Rowan,

Cheers

PK

Hi Graham,

Good Story.  Since I have a tin top, I am thinking the OME may be too stiff.
SO I am leaning towards a Bilstien replacement set for Syncro from Go Westy.  

AUS Bilstein Supplier said they do not supply.  The wife and I want to maintain 
the Syncros soft comfortable ride quality.  I am also keeping the original springs
at this stage.
588 AUD Plus Shipping  for a full set.  Anyone shipped a set of shocks from the states before?
Wondering how much shipping they are going to slug me..

Rowan..

On Sunday, 7 August 2016, 19:09, "'Graham Adams' g.adams2@bigpond.com [Syncro_T3_Australia]" <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hi Rowan

On preparing my Syncro for a round Aussie trip a couple of years ago, I fitted a new set of 4 OME shocks and new heavier springs to the rear.

They handled the Tanami track (dry with bad corrugations) well.Next the Gibb River Road, corrugated, and on to the Mitchel falls, all well.
After returning to the Gibb River Road junction and watching two 4WD being trucked out,I did my daily vehicle check only to find that the two new OME rear shocks were leaking oil. (after about 8000Ks).
At the same time I found a damaged front univeral joint boot holed and leaking grease......temp fix withGaffa tape.

600 dirt Ks later in Broome, I had, within 3 days of order, a new boot from Tooleys  Hornsby  and 2 new shocks from OME under warranty.The workshop had them fitted immediatly whilst NRMA loaned us a car and paid for accomadation.

Cheers
Graham

Hi, Syncros

Hi Rowan,

Cheers

PK

Hi Rowan, I got my OME from Gowesty years back. I ordered a bunch of stuff at once and waited for one of their discount offers to come round which made it considerably cheaper than Arb. Greg E

From: "Rowan Hardinge rowan.hardinge@yahoo.com [Syncro_T3_Australia]" <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com>
To: "Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com" <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, 9 August 2016, 11:41

Hi Graham,

the Syncros soft comfortable ride quality.  I am also keeping the original springs
at this stage.
588 AUD Plus Shipping  for a full set.  Anyone shipped a set of shocks from the states before?

Rowan..

On Sunday, 7 August 2016, 19:09, "'Graham Adams' g.adams2@bigpond.com [Syncro_T3_Australia]" <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hi Rowan

Cheers
Graham

Hi, Syncros

Hi Rowan,

Cheers

PK

Good Idea Greg!

I noticed Go Westy Had a Labor Day 10% off Sale last year around Sept 7.

I might bide my time, wait and see..

Rowan

On Tuesday, 9 August 2016, 11:41, "Rowan Hardinge rowan.hardinge@yahoo.com [Syncro_T3_Australia]" <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hi Graham,

at this stage.

Rowan..

Hi Rowan

Cheers
Graham

Hi, Syncros

Hi Rowan,

Cheers

PK