replace coolant

Hello and happy easter. I am about to replace unknown coolant for G11 in my Syncro.  I have searched archives for method of removing coolant and wanted to check if there are other places the coolant in the system gets trapped/ released besides, 2 heads and 2 hoses at radiator.  I intend flushing a couple of times but just wanted to remove as much as possible first. thanks.  Greg WA

Hi Greg,

I am only new to Syncro's, so by no means an expert. I recently flushed mine (installed a new radiator), and only removed 11L. According to the Bentley the system holds 16L. I raised the front and drained from the screws in the heads (and also had the radiator out).

I flushed the system out with straight demineralised water (ran for a short time and drained again), it came out almost the same colour as the original coolant! (mine luckily has always had the correct coolant and came out spotless)

One thing I did a little different in bleeding the system, as well as filling per the Bentley, I also filled as much as I could through the bleed screw in the radiator. Took a bit of time, I put in near enough the same volume I removed each time, so was confident the system was properly bleed.

One word of warning, I have heard (I have no first hand experience) you can develop leaks after swapping coolants (the seals don't like the change of coolant type). Always best to run the correct coolant, just keep in mind leaks might develop later on, just keen an eye out for it! Maybe a few flushes with demineralised water first might help. (Please keep in mind running on water, the coolant has a lower boiling point, so don't let it get too hot)

Richard

Greg,

The Haynes manual suggest you open the thermostat bleeder valve, take off the hose to it and blast through with a hose until no coolant remains. There are 2 main hoses and you need to stick the hose in both and be prepared to get a bit wet!

I also used a Go Westy bleeder kit to get the new coolant in.

You fit it to the expansion tank and pump the system up to 15PSI and then bleed it through the radiator, the expansion tank and the thermostat. Worked a treat with my 2wd - A syncro maybe harder?

Cheers,

Skot

On 6/04/2015 10:03 PM, cathrich1@yahoo.com.au [Syncro_T3_Australia] wrote:

Hi Greg,

I am only new to Syncro's, so by no means an expert. I recently flushed mine (installed a new radiator), and only removed 11L. According to the Bentley the system holds 16L. I raised the front and drained from the screws in the heads (and also had the radiator out).

I flushed the system out with straight demineralised water (ran for a short time and drained again), it came out almost the same colour as the original coolant! (mine luckily has always had the correct coolant and came out spotless)

One thing I did a little different in bleeding the system, as well as filling per the Bentley, I also filled as much as I could through the bleed screw in the radiator. Took a bit of time, I put in near enough the same volume I removed each time, so was confident the system was properly bleed.

One word of warning, I have heard (I have no first hand experience) you can develop leaks after swapping coolants (the seals don't like the change of coolant type). Always best to run the correct coolant, just keep in mind leaks might develop later on, just keen an eye out for it! Maybe a few flushes with demineralised water first might help. (Please keep in mind running on water, the coolant has a lower boiling point, so don't let it get too hot)

Richard

Thanks Richard good advice noted. Greg
Thanks Skot. Your idea of running the garden hose through coolant hoses at the thermostat is a good one. But then are you introducing non demineralised water that also gets trapped and creates another set of issues?  Greg 
I found with the back pressure it all ran out.

Park the van on an up hill slope or jack up the front a lot.

Then it drains well.

On 7/04/2015 10:26 AM, greg.navarro61@yahoo.com.au [Syncro_T3_Australia] wrote:

Thanks Skot. Your idea of running the garden hose through coolant hoses at the thermostat is a good one. But then are you introducing non demineralised water that also gets trapped and creates another set of issues? Greg

I like the idea of the gowesty pump, they had nil stock when I ordered my radiator or I would have grabbed one.

Another trick I have heard, apparently common in South Africa, is to replace the bleeder in the radiator with a fitting and run a hose back to the header tank. This also makes a lot off sense.

Filling per the Bentley with the header tank open and revving at 2000rpm is prone to issues as a sudden change in revs will spit out a lot of hot coolant!!

I would be worried about introducing tap water into the system also. I am not sure where the extra coolant gets trapped and if there is a way to drain that, the screws in the motor seemed to drain the system very well with the front jacked up high. I also like the idea of knowing how much comes out and ensure I put the same amount back in (assuming you are starting with a good running system).

Richard

Don't worry about undoing the hoses. Just undo the drain plugs under the cylinder heads.

Roger (Beetle Bayley)