Rust repairs

During my big renovation rust repair has been the biggest time consumer (aside from the engine).

In the worst case I had to remove the windscreen and cut out the rusted sections. Then craft tiny little pieces of metal and weld them in.

Over the years i have tried about every chemical on the market with varying success.

Recently I have found an Australian company 'KBS Coatings'. 

If you want to get serious I highly recommend it. It is really good.

Today I used the 'XTC' (extreme temperature coating) for the exhaust system (see note) following there 4 stage process.

1: Wire brush

2: 'Rustblast' (zinc phospate  and a few other chemicals) 

3: 'XTC Zinc primer'

4:'XTC top coat' in aluminium finish.

Worth the effort. It looks fantastic!

Note: I built a exhaust system out of stainless steel. Less than one year later it was completely rusted :-(

Chinese metal??

My Dad bought a "Stainless Steel" BBQ from Aldi which rusted away within 12 months - Top quality stainless that!

They should have just called it unpainted mild steel.....

On 14/08/2015 3:04 PM, kestel.p@bigpond.com [Syncro_T3_Australia] wrote:

During my big renovation rust repair has been the biggest time consumer (aside from the engine).

In the worst case I had to remove the windscreen and cut out the rusted sections. Then craft tiny little pieces of metal and weld them in.

Over the years i have tried about every chemical on the market with varying success.

Today I used the 'XTC' (extreme temperature coating) for the exhaust system (see note) following there 4 stage process.

2: 'Rustblast' (zinc phospate and a few other chemicals)

Note: I built a exhaust system out of stainless steel. Less than one year later it was completely rusted :-(

Chinese metal??

I think there must be "stainless steel" and stainless steel.

I've just replaced the SS exhaust of my Vanden Plas Princess.
It finally gave up after 23 years.

Need to shop around.

--Original Message Text---
Date: 13 Aug 2015 22:04:36 -0700

Chinese metal??

Yes there is stainless steel and stainless steel 1500 types attached is the good oil on stainless, only gave it a quick read and did not come across a story I was told a long time ago that some ancient Samurai Swords had properties of stainless but Wikipedia does not support this and states it is a recent discovery ?

On Sat, Aug 15, 2015 at 7:56 PM, 'Peter Schweinsberg' peter@peterandval.com [Syncro_T3_Australia] <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

I think there must be "stainless steel" and stainless steel.

I've just replaced the SS exhaust of my Vanden Plas Princess.
It finally gave up after 23 years.

Need to shop around.

--Original Message Text---
Date: 13 Aug 2015 22:04:36 -0700

Chinese metal??

Looks like a great product.

How do you remove the thick caked on dirt that most T3's seem to get?

In the past I have had the ceramic coating put on an exhaust, that works and lasts very well, 14 years on the T2.

Richard

High pressure water cleaner, soapy water, de greaser, air gun, goggles and old overalls...
OK, the caked on stuff I have does not come off like that. I hit a couple of spots with a wire brush and takes quite a bit to get it off (it is a few mm thick). I have left it on not wanting to damage any plating the factory may have put on the pipe. Over painting with cold gal seems to work OK, but flakes off after a while.