Second battery / Dual battery choice.

I am due to replace the second battery in my dual battery set up and was wondering what batteries people have been using. The Century battery (same as main battery) I first used didnt last all that long and I cant find a distributor for the Hoppecke deep cycle battery I managed to squeeze in last time.Any ideas.

Nick.
Nick,

What form of dual battery management are you using?

Les

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, June 02, 2009 5:44 PM
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Second battery / Dual battery choice.

I am due to replace the second battery in my dual battery set up and was wondering what batteries people have been using. The Century battery (same as main battery) I first used didnt last all that long and I cant find a distributor for the Hoppecke deep cycle battery I managed to squeeze in last time.Any ideas.

Nick.

Hi Nicko, the secondary battery should be of the deep cycle variety especially if you are using a fridge, otherwise if you using a DIN 66 for that purpose that will kill the battery very quickly. Also have the alternator checked to make sure it is producing around 14 volts to correctly charge the batteries. It may pay for you also to remove the regulator and check the brushes in the alternator. Happy playing

--- On Tue, 2/6/09, nickbellau <nick.bellgrove@tafesa.edu.au> wrote:

To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Received: Tuesday, 2 June, 2009, 5:44 PM

Nick.

Need a Holiday? Win a $10,000 Holiday of your choice. Enter now..
Gday Nick,

I wish it was that simple.

There are so many inter-related issues concerning camper electrics, especially batteries, I believe it is essential to get a good grasp of this complex topic first, so you need to do some reading.

I suggest you order online the excellent publication by Collyn Rivers .... "Motorhome Electrics & Caravans Too".

Goto: http://www.caravanandmotorhomebooks.com/

This publication is a must have for campervan owners, ignore it at your peril. A great investment and ongoing resource.

I think, armed with the knowledge this publication provides, will stand you in good stead to then make an informed battery decision.

Cheers.

Ken

Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 07:44:54 +0000

Nick.

Make ninemsn your homepage! Get the latest news, goss and sport
Try Federal batteries. They are not deep cycle, but unless you continually discharge them completely they last well. It really depends on your usage as to whether you need to go to the expensive of a deep cycle. If you run a fridge for 48 hours without driving, you would probably need a deep cycle.

For light use, I recommend genuine VW batteries as they last around 7 years. Stay away from Aussie brands.

I have not found any deep cycle batteries that fit in a syncro under the seat.

Collyn Rivers book is worth a read, but don't take it as 100% correct as he is a journalist not an electrical engineer and he has been given some misinformation.

> nickbellau <nick.bellgrove@tafesa.edu.au> wrote:
>
> I am due to replace the second battery in my dual battery set up and was
> wondering what batteries people have been using. The Century battery
> (same as main battery) I first used didnt last all that long and I cant
> find a distributor for the Hoppecke deep cycle battery I managed to
> squeeze in last time.Any ideas.
>
> Nick.
Nick,
I don't know if you would want to go to such trouble but the original owner of my camper deepened the battery container which allows a much greater range of batteries.If you do this you need to cut a hole and plug it to allow the front top wishbone bolt to still be withdrawn when necessary.
I have a deep cycle (Forklift?)  Delkar DC27 battery in it which was purchased new in May 2003 for $160 On its label it says 20Hr capacity 80; reserve capacity min 145 which I don't understand. It still performs well.
I agree with Phil's commentary on source of batteries. I replaced the BMW branded main battery in my Syncro last year when it was nearly 9years old and have just replaced my Toyota Camry local battery after nearly 4 years.
Cheers
Roger

--- On Wed, 3/6/09, plander@optusnet.com.au <plander@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Second battery / Dual battery choice.
Received: Wednesday, 3 June, 2009, 6:00 AM

Try Federal batteries. They are not deep cycle, but unless you continually discharge them completely they last well. It really depends on your usage as to whether you need to go to the expensive of a deep cycle. If you run a fridge for 48 hours without driving, you would probably need a deep cycle.

For light use, I recommend genuine VW batteries as they last around 7 years. Stay away from Aussie brands.

I have not found any deep cycle batteries that fit in a syncro under the seat.

Collyn Rivers book is worth a read, but don't take it as 100% correct as he is a journalist not an electrical engineer and he has been given some misinformation.

> nickbellau <nick.bellgrove@ tafesa.edu. au> wrote:
>
> I am due to replace the second battery in my dual battery set up and was
> wondering what batteries people have been using. The Century battery
> (same as main battery) I first used didnt last all that long and I cant
> find a distributor for the Hoppecke deep cycle battery I managed to
> squeeze in last time.Any ideas.
>
> Nick.

Need a Holiday? Win a $10,000 Holiday of your choice. Enter now..