Skot's Fridge

Skot, I take it that the Waeco is a Chest-type 12v compressor Fridge and not a 3 way. Personally I use 150AH VRLA Sealed AGM Deep Cycle Batteries. To run a Fridge alone, consensus is a 120AH minimum.
These are the type with 6 or 8mm vertical bolt holes and no battery terminal posts - not the Marine type with dual posts which because of being a combination of thick and thin plates, are not a true Deep Cycle - despite what they are branded.
Consensus there is that Fullriver, Powersonic, Vision and Lion are a few of the best brands and, as with CCA batteries, a lot on the market are just plain rubbish. I have a Vision and a Lion, each on their own system.
120W of portable Solar in the conditions you describe is a reasonable starting point, but to maintain a Fridge at 4-5deg you'd struggle with cloud and no show at all as a Freezer. No big deal though, it's easy to add later. Roof-mounted would need 50% more IMO. I wouldn't worry about a ready-made kit because the Regulator is mounted on the rear of the Panels. Makes no sense to me as it should be as close to the battery as possible - apart from the fact that there's Regulators and regulators. Better -and cheaper - to buy 2 Panels and hinge them together yourself - using 10m of minimum 6mm twin-core sheathed auto wire as a lead to the Syncro.
Again there's Solar Panels and solar panels. Best advice I get Suntech, BP, Mitsubishi, Sharp and Kyocera are among the best and a lot of the cheapies are not Grade A silicon, don't have the full 36 cells required, don't have Tedlar plastic backing (to dissipate heat) and the front is not iron-free glass. I have the Suntechs.
As for Solar Regulators particularly suited to our type of vehicle, there's a couple of ways to go - neither of which I have, wish they'd been around when I first started putting things together.
If you like listening to the Car Radio or playing CDs or whatever when you're parked up then the CTek D250S Dual is the best option, it'd make your existing Smart Controller redundant but it'll take care of the Panels and Leisure battery, and look after your CCAs as well.
The other way to go is cheaper and I've only just learned of via another Forum, is the Waeco DC08 unit, which can be wired in to charge the Leisure battery while driving only. I don't know if your existing Smart Controller delivers the correct charging regime for Deep Cycle batteries, but if it delivers direct from the alternator once your CCAs are charged, then it doesn't. Deep Cycle batteries will never charge much above 70% straight from the alternator no matter how far you drive - as I well found out in the early days.
The DC08 doesn't exclude you from needing a Solar regulator for the Panels though and I've been a Morningstar convert for the last 6 years or so, as my Regulator of choice. For the price, they give you the best possible charging features. Some of the top-end stuff may be marginally better from what I've read but you can add another $1000 to the price.
A Modified Square Wave Inverter should be fine for a Hair Dryer but if your think that down the track you might use it for other things then you might want to consider a Pure Sine Wave one - for instance some Laptops and other electronic devices won't perform at all on MSW. I've been using a Powertech 400W electrically isolated MSW unit from Jaycar for the last 9 years and I've since learned that non-electrcally isolated units are banned in the Constuction Industry in some States.
As always, ask around for a few other opinions and the make your mind up. You have to be like a GPS these days - it takes about 5 different Satellites before it does anything.

Hope this may be of help to others as well - Michael.
Thanks Michael,

This is a very detailed response but I think I got my head around most of it. The Ebay panels I saw were Suntech - or they said they were - you never know these days though - unless you have experience in what a good panel actually looks like.

My Weaco fridge freezer is an upright style that is built into a cabinet with good side and top ventilation and it is quite large. The Weaco has a Danfoss compressor and the model is a Coolmatic MDC.

As you suggest - a lot of this is trial and error until you get just what you need.

I dont really care if the boss cant use her hair drier and I found a television/ DVD player in the recent Dick Smith catlogue that has a 10.5 in LCD screen that shouldnt use too much power. That should entertain the family should we require it.

My wife and kids don't really like my music and I cant handle Taylor Swift and Miley Cirus for more than 2 minutes either - so the music doesn't really happen.

Thanks again for your very detailed response.

Cheers,

Skot


On 7/06/2011 11:59 AM, blayney_Michael wrote:
 

Skot, I take it that the Waeco is a Chest-type 12v compressor Fridge and not a 3 way. Personally I use 150AH VRLA Sealed AGM Deep Cycle Batteries. To run a Fridge alone, consensus is a 120AH minimum.
These are the type with 6 or 8mm vertical bolt holes and no battery terminal posts - not the Marine type with dual posts which because of being a combination of thick and thin plates, are not a true Deep Cycle - despite what they are branded.
Consensus there is that Fullriver, Powersonic, Vision and Lion are a few of the best brands and, as with CCA batteries, a lot on the market are just plain rubbish. I have a Vision and a Lion, each on their own system.
120W of portable Solar in the conditions you describe is a reasonable starting point, but to maintain a Fridge at 4-5deg you'd struggle with cloud and no show at all as a Freezer. No big deal though, it's easy to add later. Roof-mounted would need 50% more IMO. I wouldn't worry about a ready-made kit because the Regulator is mounted on the rear of the Panels. Makes no sense to me as it should be as close to the battery as possible - apart from the fact that there's Regulators and regulators. Better -and cheaper - to buy 2 Panels and hinge them together yourself - using 10m of minimum 6mm twin-core sheathed auto wire as a lead to the Syncro.
Again there's Solar Panels and solar panels. Best advice I get Suntech, BP, Mitsubishi, Sharp and Kyocera are among the best and a lot of the cheapies are not Grade A silicon, don't have the full 36 cells required, don't have Tedlar plastic backing (to dissipate heat) and the front is not iron-free glass. I have the Suntechs.
As for Solar Regulators particularly suited to our type of vehicle, there's a couple of ways to go - neither of which I have, wish they'd been around when I first started putting things together.
If you like listening to the Car Radio or playing CDs or whatever when you're parked up then the CTek D250S Dual is the best option, it'd make your existing Smart Controller redundant but it'll take care of the Panels and Leisure battery, and look after your CCAs as well.
The other way to go is cheaper and I've only just learned of via another Forum, is the Waeco DC08 unit, which can be wired in to charge the Leisure battery while driving only. I don't know if your existing Smart Controller delivers the correct charging regime for Deep Cycle batteries, but if it delivers direct from the alternator once your CCAs are charged, then it doesn't. Deep Cycle batteries will never charge much above 70% straight from the alternator no matter how far you drive - as I well found out in the early days.
The DC08 doesn't exclude you from needing a Solar regulator for the Panels though and I've been a Morningstar convert for the last 6 years or so, as my Regulator of choice. For the price, they give you the best possible charging features. Some of the top-end stuff may be marginally better from what I've read but you can add another $1000 to the price.
A Modified Square Wave Inverter should be fine for a Hair Dryer but if your think that down the track you might use it for other things then you might want to consider a Pure Sine Wave one - for instance some Laptops and other electronic devices won't perform at all on MSW. I've been using a Powertech 400W electrically isolated MSW unit from Jaycar for the last 9 years and I've since learned that non-electrcally isolated units are banned in the Constuction Industry in some States.
As always, ask around for a few other opinions and the make your mind up. You have to be like a GPS these days - it takes about 5 different Satellites before it does anything.

Hope this may be of help to others as well - Michael.


Michael,

Thanks for taking the time to assemble this information.   It will be very helpful to those amongst us who manage to do some touring.

Les

 

 

_,___

Michael,

Here is the link to a typical ebay solar panel 120W set up. It has details and specifications on it at the bottom of the ebay page.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/120w-Solar-Panel-Power-12v-Camping-Charger-Generator-/110698467117?pt=AU_Solar&hash=item19c6248f2d

There are 160Watt panels for about $50 more.

Cheers,

Skot


On 7/06/2011 11:59 AM, blayney_michael wrote:
 

Skot, I take it that the Waeco is a Chest-type 12v compressor Fridge and not a 3 way. Personally I use 150AH VRLA Sealed AGM Deep Cycle Batteries. To run a Fridge alone, consensus is a 120AH minimum.
These are the type with 6 or 8mm vertical bolt holes and no battery terminal posts - not the Marine type with dual posts which because of being a combination of thick and thin plates, are not a true Deep Cycle - despite what they are branded.
Consensus there is that Fullriver, Powersonic, Vision and Lion are a few of the best brands and, as with CCA batteries, a lot on the market are just plain rubbish. I have a Vision and a Lion, each on their own system.
120W of portable Solar in the conditions you describe is a reasonable starting point, but to maintain a Fridge at 4-5deg you'd struggle with cloud and no show at all as a Freezer. No big deal though, it's easy to add later. Roof-mounted would need 50% more IMO. I wouldn't worry about a ready-made kit because the Regulator is mounted on the rear of the Panels. Makes no sense to me as it should be as close to the battery as possible - apart from the fact that there's Regulators and regulators. Better -and cheaper - to buy 2 Panels and hinge them together yourself - using 10m of minimum 6mm twin-core sheathed auto wire as a lead to the Syncro.
Again there's Solar Panels and solar panels. Best advice I get Suntech, BP, Mitsubishi, Sharp and Kyocera are among the best and a lot of the cheapies are not Grade A silicon, don't have the full 36 cells required, don't have Tedlar plastic backing (to dissipate heat) and the front is not iron-free glass. I have the Suntechs.
As for Solar Regulators particularly suited to our type of vehicle, there's a couple of ways to go - neither of which I have, wish they'd been around when I first started putting things together.
If you like listening to the Car Radio or playing CDs or whatever when you're parked up then the CTek D250S Dual is the best option, it'd make your existing Smart Controller redundant but it'll take care of the Panels and Leisure battery, and look after your CCAs as well.
The other way to go is cheaper and I've only just learned of via another Forum, is the Waeco DC08 unit, which can be wired in to charge the Leisure battery while driving only. I don't know if your existing Smart Controller delivers the correct charging regime for Deep Cycle batteries, but if it delivers direct from the alternator once your CCAs are charged, then it doesn't. Deep Cycle batteries will never charge much above 70% straight from the alternator no matter how far you drive - as I well found out in the early days.
The DC08 doesn't exclude you from needing a Solar regulator for the Panels though and I've been a Morningstar convert for the last 6 years or so, as my Regulator of choice. For the price, they give you the best possible charging features. Some of the top-end stuff may be marginally better from what I've read but you can add another $1000 to the price.
A Modified Square Wave Inverter should be fine for a Hair Dryer but if your think that down the track you might use it for other things then you might want to consider a Pure Sine Wave one - for instance some Laptops and other electronic devices won't perform at all on MSW. I've been using a Powertech 400W electrically isolated MSW unit from Jaycar for the last 9 years and I've since learned that non-electrcally isolated units are banned in the Constuction Industry in some States.
As always, ask around for a few other opinions and the make your mind up. You have to be like a GPS these days - it takes about 5 different Satellites before it does anything.

Hope this may be of help to others as well - Michael.


--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "Les Harris" <leslieharris@...> wrote:
>
> Michael,
>
> Thanks for taking the time to assemble this information. It will be very
> helpful to those amongst us who manage to do some touring.
>
> Les
>

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "Les Harris" <leslieharris@...> wrote:eld that relateseld
>
> Michael,
>
> Thanks for taking the time to assemble this information. It will be very
> helpful to those amongst us who manage to do some touring.
>
> Les

Aw, thanks for letting me be part of it, Les. Main concern for me is that people don't make some of the mistakes I've made.
Like to give an opinion on anything in this field that I've come across, but it is an opinion. Pretty hard to weigh up the needs of Long-weekend - Chrissie - Easter type touring Members and those like me!!??
Skot's Fridge was an example of how I'd look at things, but believe me, Ken G's Post on the the fella from the Meet with the 250AH Battery has, is, probably going to have me explaining my views in about an Epitaph - hang in ther Ken G 'cos I almost went that way myself about 7 years or so ago before I decided to go Solar. I'll have to recollect why??? that I didn't - and I was doing plenty of travelling then. - and Skot - get back you on the ebay listing.

Michael.
Hi all,

Just thought I would share this link of some pommie beach fun with syncros.

http://campervanculture.com/2011/06/the-club80-90-cornish-bashtie-sunshine-beaches-food-friends-and-campervans/

The best they can do anyway.

Cheers,

Skot

Thanks Skot. They are having a lot of fun. Seems that drinking is a favourite activity. Loved the shot of the bottle of Scrumpy!!!

 

I have attached a photo of Hart and mines vans on our way to SW Rocks a couple of weeks ago. It shows a good example of what lifted springs etc can do. Looks like a father and son shot of two Syncros!!!! Also a shot of a row of solar panels for fun.

 

Peter from Port

 

 

 

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, Scott Pitcher wrote
> Here is the link to a typical ebay solar panel 120W set up. It has
> details and specifications on it at the bottom of the ebay page.
>
> http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/120w-Solar-Panel-Power-12v-Camping-Charger-Generator-/110698467117?pt=AU_Solar&hash=item19c6248f2d
>
> There are 160Watt panels for about $50 more.
>


Plenty of 'em on there - a lot with less than 36 cells and a lot(all?) with no Brand Name. None of the Regulators that are with them would be of any use to me, I'm afraid.
I reckon I'd rather have a single quality 40W Panel and quality Regulator than a pair of the 40s there -actually that is how I started out - I could only afford 2x 85W Panels and have added as and when I could afford it.
Trouble is, with the cheaper versions is that they don't produce the claimed wattage, and the Regulator doesn't look after the Battery correctly. It then becomes no option but to buy more Panels and paying for a new battery every 12 months or so.
My thoughts anyways, Skot.

Michael.