Spare wheel well

Hi ,
Anybody have any ideas as to what to use the spare wheel well under the vehicle for after getting 15" rims.
I was thinking of getting a custom made water container and fitting it in the well and fitting some sort of pump.
Would the extra weight have a detrimental effect on the vehicle ride.
I estimate the carrier would hold between 50 or 60 litres

Philippe
Hey Mate!

I saw that there is the possibility to drop the carrier with some angles, to fit a 15" spare in. I think vancafe has the tension bracket (which holds the tyre down) as customized version. So you could fit a 215/70 R15 Tyre.

Your idea is pretty good. I thought about a spare wheel carrier on the rear and i will create a sort of big Toolbox inside the under carrier. You fold it down the old way and you have access to a bunch of trays with tools.

So i will get the Tools out of the car, away from the roofrack and avoid a bad centre of gravity ;-)

Good luck with that.

Cheers

Seb
Hi Phillipe,

15" can fit in the spare wheel well. Just keep it deflated and run a bracket under the steering column to stop it rubbing. Just means you need a compressor on board.
I use a detachable rear carrier for the second spare on trips where I might need it. Wouldn't want a tire there all the time as it's a pain getting the back door open.

Mark

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "philtyack" <philtyack@...> wrote:
>
> Hi ,
> Anybody have any ideas as to what to use the spare wheel well under the vehicle for after getting 15" rims.
> I was thinking of getting a custom made water container and fitting it in the well and fitting some sort of pump.
> Would the extra weight have a detrimental effect on the vehicle ride.
> I estimate the carrier would hold between 50 or 60 litres
>
> Philippe
>
Hi Philippe

I had the fastening bracket extended (welded) a couple of cm and used the original bolt on my ex Telstra cost was $100 at a local welder, you just loose a little front clearance or you may get a similar result using a longer bolt.
Philip

To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, 21 February 2012 9:43 AM
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Spare wheel well

Hi Phillipe,

15" can fit in the spare wheel well. Just keep it deflated and run a bracket under the steering column to stop it rubbing. Just means you need a compressor on board.
I use a detachable rear carrier for the second spare on trips where I might need it. Wouldn't want a tire there all the time as it's a pain getting the back door open.

Mark

>
> Hi ,
> Anybody have any ideas as to what to use the spare wheel well under the vehicle for after getting 15" rims.
> I was thinking of getting a custom made water container and fitting it in the well and fitting some sort of pump.
>
> Philippe
>

Philippe

You need to extend the hinge points at the rear of the carrier to give more clearance not sure if the bolt has to be extended, cannot check mine at the moment as it is having a decoupler fitted and is in the workshop

bob

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Philip Macrae
Sent: Tuesday, 21 February 2012 10:01 AM
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Spare wheel well

Hi Philippe

I had the fastening bracket extended (welded) a couple of cm and used the original bolt on my ex Telstra cost was $100 at a local welder, you just loose a little front clearance or you may get a similar result using a longer bolt.

Philip

Sent: Tuesday, 21 February 2012 9:43 AM
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Spare wheel well

Hi Phillipe,

Mark

>
> Hi ,
>
> Philippe
>