Stranded Pt 2

Hi all,

Turns out our Syncro had a meltdown in its catalytic converter. No wonder it felt as though there was a potato up the pipe as we struggled along the Princes (glorified goat track that is). New aftermarket one fitted. Chugging along nicely now. Readying ourselves for the next adventure!

Francesca.

Francesca,

Did Lloyd venture an opinion as to why it melted?

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of Francesca Coles
Sent: 09 July 2010 15:39
To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Stranded Pt 2

Hi all,

Turns out our Syncro had a meltdown in its catalytic converter. No wonder it felt as though there was a potato up the pipe as we struggled along the Princes (glorified goat track that is). New aftermarket one fitted. Chugging along nicely now. Readying ourselves for the next adventure!

Francesca.

Well done Francesca.

Great to hear it was just a minor thing and not really the motor causing he problem.

Happy trails from here on!

Cheers,

Skot

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, July 09, 2010 3:38 PM

Hi all,

Francesca.

Thanks, Skot.

In response to your question Les, I did ask Lloyd why he thought the meltdown happened. He said possibly it was the AFM/Vanagon syndrome problem, leading to a too-lean mixture overheating the converter (I think I got that right). Next thing will be to tackle this, I guess.

From what I understand it could also be symptomatic of some as-yet-undiagnosed problem. I'm going to get Tony to quiz him more on this when he picks it up later. Anyone here have any considered opinions to add? I'd hate to chew through another converter in short order.

Of course it could just be that the shelf life on an ageing part was up, I guess.

Francesca.

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 3:54 PM, Mr Scott Pitcher <spbconsulting@bigpond.com> wrote:

Well done Francesca.
Great to hear it was just a minor thing and not really the motor causing he problem.
Cheers,
Skot

Hi all,

Francesca.

Francesca,

I asked because I thought that it might have been AFM related, which brings us back to the VAG modified harness for the AFM.  You now need to determine if your Syncro has it or not.

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of Francesca Coles
Sent: 09 July 2010 16:03
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Stranded Pt 2

Thanks, Skot.

In response to your question Les, I did ask Lloyd why he thought the meltdown happened. He said possibly it was the AFM/Vanagon syndrome problem, leading to a too-lean mixture overheating the converter (I think I got that right). Next thing will be to tackle this, I guess. 

From what I understand it could also be symptomatic of some as-yet-undiagnosed problem. I'm going to get Tony to quiz him more on this when he picks it up later. Anyone here have any considered opinions to add? I'd hate to chew through another converter in short order.

Of course it could just be that the shelf life on an ageing part was up, I guess.

Francesca. 

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 3:54 PM, Mr Scott Pitcher <spbconsulting@ bigpond.com> wrote:

Well done Francesca.

Cheers,

Skot

Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australi a] Stranded Pt 2

Hi all,

Francesca.

Thanks, Les. To be honest I haven't checked, assuming that it doesn't, given that we experience intermittent Vanagon Syndrome (which we have ignored at our peril). I don't think we'll drive it too much further before fitting one, however. On that note, how do we get hold of one? Any joy to be had through VW dealers??? Or can you purchase them from the US? I gather that faulty O2 sensors can also superheat cat converters.

Francesca.

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 4:05 PM, Les Harris <leslieharris@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

Francesca,

I asked because I thought that it might have been AFM related, which brings us back to the VAG modified harness for the AFM. You now need to determine if your Syncro has it or not.

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Francesca Coles
Sent: 09 July 2010 16:03

Thanks, Skot.

Francesca.

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 3:54 PM, Mr Scott Pitcher <spbconsulting@bigpond.com> wrote:

Well done Francesca.

Cheers,

Skot

Hi all,

Francesca.

Francesca,

I think that it is still available as a VAG part but if it isn’t, Mike Plompen would likely have it.  Ben Tan would know about availability in the US .

And, yes, the O2 sensor might be suspect.  They should be available and should be inexpensive.

Les

Sent: 09 July 2010 16:17

Thanks, Les. To be honest I haven't checked, assuming that it doesn't, given that we experience intermittent Vanagon Syndrome (which we have ignored at our peril). I don't think we'll drive it too much further before fitting one, however. On that note, how do we get hold of one? Any joy to be had through VW dealers??? Or can you purchase them from the US ? I gather that faulty O2 sensors can also superheat cat converters.

Francesca.

> Thanks, Les. To be honest I haven't checked, assuming that it doesn't,
> given
> that we experience intermittent Vanagon Syndrome (which we have ignored
> at
> our peril). I don't think we'll drive it too much further before fitting
> one, however.

I doubt if that was the cause. You would notice VS and stop the car. Then you would restart it and it would be OK.

I gather that
> faulty O2 sensors can also superheat cat converters.
>

Unlikely as the O2 sensor is only a fine adjustment. You can disconnect them and the car will run fine.

Probably age related. Was there a banging/rattling noise?

Could be poor fuel related.
, Mike Plompen would likely have it. Ben Tan would know about availability in the
> US.
>

More common in the US than Germany.
Thanks, Phil.

Need to fit AFM harness in any case, even if not the cause.

No banging or rattling.

Should I be concerned about the risk of fire, now that this has happened, if there is an underlying problem? Don't like the thought of kids in the back seat with meltdowns happening under their bottoms (well, more or less). It wouldn't be that fuel is entering the exhaust, I hope....

Francesca.

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 4:35 PM, <plander@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

, Mike Plompen would likely have it. Ben Tan would know about availability in the
> US.
>

More common in the US than Germany.

Francesca,

Cats are designed with this in mind and the ‘melt-down’ is confined to the inside of the Cat.  The boy’s bums are safe!

Les

Sent: 09 July 2010 16:45
Subject: Re: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Stranded Pt 2

Thanks, Phil.

Need to fit AFM harness in any case, even if not the cause.

No banging or rattling.

Should I be concerned about the risk of fire, now that this has happened, if there is an underlying problem? Don't like the thought of kids in the back seat with meltdowns happening under their bottoms (well, more or less). It wouldn't be that fuel is entering the exhaust, I hope....

Francesca.

The only fire risk is described in the owner's manual.
Do not park on dry grass after a long drive.

I'd like to know what he meant by "meltdown" ???????

Cats can be repaired with a broom handle. Just shove it up the pipe and mash up the internals. It'll get you home and drive normally until you replace it.

> Francesca Coles <fcoles6@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks, Phil.
>
> Need to fit AFM harness in any case, even if not the cause.
>
> No banging or rattling.
>
> Should I be concerned about the risk of fire, now that this has
> happened, if
> there is an underlying problem? Don't like the thought of kids in the
> back
> seat with meltdowns happening under their bottoms (well, more or less).
> It
> wouldn't be that fuel is entering the exhaust, I hope....
>
> Francesca.
>
> On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 4:35 PM, <plander@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > , Mike Plompen would likely have it. Ben Tan would know about
> availability
> > in the
> > > US.
> > >
> >
> > More common in the US than Germany.
> >
> >
> >
Yes, they are still available here. We have a friend at the VW dealership in Southern California. Rennie Wibble is the parts manager and active on both the Vanagon and worldwide Syncro List. Pmail me for his contact info. He is very good at working around VW rules on ordering parts not ordinarily available in his territory.

BenT 
Sent from my discarded AFM harness 

On Jul 8, 2010, at 11:28 PM, "Les Harris" <leslieharris@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

Francesca,

I think that it is still available as a VAG part but if it isn’t, Mike Plompen would likely have it.  Ben Tan would know about availability in the US .

And, yes, the O2 sensor might be suspect.  They should be available and should be inexpensive.

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of Francesca Coles
Sent: 09 July 2010 16:17

Thanks, Les. To be honest I haven't checked, assuming that it doesn't, given that we experience intermittent Vanagon Syndrome (which we have ignored at our peril). I don't think we'll drive it too much further before fitting one, however. On that note, how do we get hold of one? Any joy to be had through VW dealers??? Or can you purchase them from the US ? I gather that faulty O2 sensors can also superheat cat converters.

Francesca.

Ben,

Thanks for the info.  It has now penetrated my brain that I haven’t ever checked to see if I have the modified harness or not.  I assume that it will have a different part number.

Les

(Sent from my electric toothbrush.)

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of BenT Syncro
Sent: 09 July 2010 16:58

Yes, they are still available here. We have a friend at the VW dealership in Southern California . Rennie Wibble is the parts manager and active on both the Vanagon and worldwide Syncro List. Pmail me for his contact info. He is very good at working around VW rules on ordering parts not ordinarily available in his territory.

BenT 
Sent from my discarded AFM harness 

I think my fevered imagination was working overtime there. Glad to hear that boys (and bums) are safe. Will, however, studiously avoid parking over flammable flora after long drives, especially on days of extreme fire danger...

Like the broom handle remedy - sometimes agricultural methods come into their own. Might pack one for that express purpose! Or maybe any Jo-Blow stick out in the bush will do, if handled skillfully.

I guess 'melted to the point of partial obstruction' might explain it.

Francesca.

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 4:52 PM, <plander@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

The only fire risk is described in the owner's manual.
Do not park on dry grass after a long drive.

I'd like to know what he meant by "meltdown" ???????

Cats can be repaired with a broom handle. Just shove it up the pipe and mash up the internals. It'll get you home and drive normally until you replace it.

> Francesca Coles <fcoles6@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks, Phil.
>
> Need to fit AFM harness in any case, even if not the cause.
>
> No banging or rattling.
>
> Should I be concerned about the risk of fire, now that this has
> happened, if
> there is an underlying problem? Don't like the thought of kids in the
> back
> seat with meltdowns happening under their bottoms (well, more or less).
> It
> wouldn't be that fuel is entering the exhaust, I hope....
>
> Francesca.
>
> On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 4:35 PM, <plander@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > , Mike Plompen would likely have it. Ben Tan would know about
> availability
> > in the
> > > US.
> > >
> >
> > More common in the US than Germany.
> >
> >
> >

If it's available in the US, it's available here.

> BenT Syncro <syncro@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Yes, they are still available here. We have a friend at the VW
> dealership in Southern California. Rennie Wibble is the parts manager
> and active on both the Vanagon and worldwide Syncro List. Pmail me for
> his contact info. He is very good at working around VW rules on
> ordering parts not ordinarily available in his territory.
>
> BenT
> Sent from my discarded AFM harness
>
> On Jul 8, 2010, at 11:28 PM, "Les Harris"
> <leslieharris@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>
> >
> >
> > Francesca,
> > I think that it is still available as a VAG part but if it isn��������t, Mi
>
> > ke Plompen would likely have it. Ben Tan would know about availabil
> > ity in the US.
> > And, yes, the O2 sensor might be suspect. They should be available
> > and should be inexpensive.
> > Les
> > From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> > [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Francesca
> > Coles
> > Sent: 09 July 2010 16:17
> > To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> > Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Stranded Pt 2
> >
> > Thanks, Les. To be honest I haven't checked, assuming that it
> > doesn't, given that we experience intermittent Vanagon Syndrome
> > (which we have ignored at our peril). I don't think we'll drive it
> > too much further before fitting one, however. On that note, how do
> > we get hold of one? Any joy to be had through VW dealers??? Or can
> > you purchase them from the US? I gather that faulty O2 sensors can
> > also superheat cat converters.
> > Francesca.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
It's not a modified harness but like a short adapter harness like the ones they have for converting trailer plugs. Here are some photos;

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/gary2a/rack/afmharness/afmharness.htm

> Les Harris <leslieharris@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>
> Ben,
>
> Thanks for the info. It has now penetrated my brain that I haven't ever
> checked to see if I have the modified harness or not. I assume that it
> will
> have a different part number.
>
> Les
>
>
>
> (Sent from my electric toothbrush.)
>
> _____
>
> From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of BenT Syncro
> Sent: 09 July 2010 16:58
> To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Stranded Pt 2
>
> Yes, they are still available here. We have a friend at the VW
> dealership in
> Southern California. Rennie Wibble is the parts manager and active on
> both
> the Vanagon and worldwide Syncro List. Pmail me for his contact info. He
> is
> very good at working around VW rules on ordering parts not ordinarily
> available in his territory.
>
> BenT
> Sent from my discarded AFM harness
It would of been an expensive recall!

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, plander@... wrote:
>
> It's not a modified harness but like a short adapter harness like the ones they have for converting trailer plugs. Here are some photos;
>
> http://www.telusplanet.net/public/gary2a/rack/afmharness/afmharness.htm
>
>
>
>
> > Les Harris <leslieharris@...> wrote:
> >
> > Ben,
> >
> > Thanks for the info. It has now penetrated my brain that I haven't ever
> > checked to see if I have the modified harness or not. I assume that it
> > will
> > have a different part number.
> >
> > Les
> >
> >
> >
> > (Sent from my electric toothbrush.)
> >
> > _____
> >
> > From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> > [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of BenT Syncro
> > Sent: 09 July 2010 16:58
> > To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> > Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Stranded Pt 2
> >
> > Yes, they are still available here. We have a friend at the VW
> > dealership in
> > Southern California. Rennie Wibble is the parts manager and active on
> > both
> > the Vanagon and worldwide Syncro List. Pmail me for his contact info. He
> > is
> > very good at working around VW rules on ordering parts not ordinarily
> > available in his territory.
> >
> > BenT
> > Sent from my discarded AFM harness
>
Not a recall.

It was a secret that you only found out about if you did a lot of complaining. I only found out through inside information after much time looking for fuel problems! It cost me $$$$ changing fuel filters, using injector cleaners etc.

> bencroft96 <bencroft96@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> It would of been an expensive recall!
>
> --- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, plander@... wrote:
> >
> > It's not a modified harness but like a short adapter harness like the
> ones they have for converting trailer plugs. Here are some photos;
> >
> >
> http://www.telusplanet.net/public/gary2a/rack/afmharness/afmharness.htm
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > > Les Harris <leslieharris@...> wrote:
> > >
> > > Ben,
> > >
> > > Thanks for the info. It has now penetrated my brain that I haven't
> ever
> > > checked to see if I have the modified harness or not. I assume that
> it
> > > will
> > > have a different part number.
> > >
> > > Les
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > (Sent from my electric toothbrush.)
> > >
> > > _____
> > >
> > > From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> > > [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of BenT
> Syncro
> > > Sent: 09 July 2010 16:58
> > > To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> > > Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Stranded Pt 2
> > >
> > > Yes, they are still available here. We have a friend at the VW
> > > dealership in
> > > Southern California. Rennie Wibble is the parts manager and active
> on
> > > both
> > > the Vanagon and worldwide Syncro List. Pmail me for his contact
> info. He
> > > is
> > > very good at working around VW rules on ordering parts not
> ordinarily
> > > available in his territory.
> > >
> > > BenT
> > > Sent from my discarded AFM harness
> >
I meant it would of been expensive,if it was a recall.Thats why it was a secret!

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, plander@... wrote:
>
> Not a recall.
>
> It was a secret that you only found out about if you did a lot of complaining. I only found out through inside information after much time looking for fuel problems! It cost me $$$$ changing fuel filters, using injector cleaners etc.
>
>
>
> > bencroft96 <bencroft96@...> wrote:
> >
> > It would of been an expensive recall!
> >
> > --- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, plander@ wrote:
> > >
> > > It's not a modified harness but like a short adapter harness like the
> > ones they have for converting trailer plugs. Here are some photos;
> > >
> > >
> > http://www.telusplanet.net/public/gary2a/rack/afmharness/afmharness.htm
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > > Les Harris <leslieharris@> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > Ben,
> > > >
> > > > Thanks for the info. It has now penetrated my brain that I haven't
> > ever
> > > > checked to see if I have the modified harness or not. I assume that
> > it
> > > > will
> > > > have a different part number.
> > > >
> > > > Les
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > (Sent from my electric toothbrush.)
> > > >
> > > > _____
> > > >
> > > > From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> > > > [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of BenT
> > Syncro
> > > > Sent: 09 July 2010 16:58
> > > > To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> > > > Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Stranded Pt 2
> > > >
> > > > Yes, they are still available here. We have a friend at the VW
> > > > dealership in