Subi upgrade

Gday all,

I am after a bit of info relating to a future upgrade of my motor. I have a 1989 t3 syncro that is running it's original 2.1 motor with only 153000ks. It is running fine at the moment but is a little under powered and a touch thirsty for my liking... I understand that with a Subaru motor she could be running alot better ie: better fuel consumption and more power. I have seen a few Ej25 motors on eBay but I don't want to go buying one without knowing what i should be looking for and having arranged with a mechanic to do the install...

My Syncro is in really good order so I think with an engine upgrade she will be perfect.

I am located in Ballarat in Victoria, so If I was to get someone to do the install I would prefer someone local or at least on the western side of Melbourne.

Cheers

Tony
Hey Tony,

If you are intending to sell your 2.1.
How much do you want for it?
Also have you checked out www.subarugears.com?

Cheers
Paul

Hey Paul,

Thanks for the link you sent me I'll check them out....

As for the sale of my motor.... I'm not sure if I'll need to trade it in on a replacement or not..

I'll keep your details if I decied to sell it.

Cheers Tony

To: <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com>;
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Subi upgrade
Sent: Mon, Mar 26, 2012 1:56:56 AM

Hey Tony,

If you are intending to sell your 2.1.
How much do you want for it?
Also have you checked out www.subarugears.com?

Cheers
Paul

Tony,

Whilst we have members who have fitted Subaru engines, this website is essentially for the standard T3 Syncro. 

There is a huge US website devoted to fitting a range of Subaru engines:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/subaruvanagon

Only one Australian business that fits Subaru engines I have heard of and that is in Brisbane.

It is possible for you to do it yourself and there are US kits available that make it a lot easier but there is still a lot of work involved.

Be assured that 153K isn’t much on an MV engine so long as it has been reasonably maintained.

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of logwood_1
Sent: 26 March 2012 12:44
To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Subi upgrade

Gday all,

I am after a bit of info relating to a future upgrade of my motor. I have a 1989 t3 syncro that is running it's original 2.1 motor with only 153000ks. It is running fine at the moment but is a little under powered and a touch thirsty for my liking... I understand that with a Subaru motor she could be running alot better ie: better fuel consumption and more power. I have seen a few Ej25 motors on eBay but I don't want to go buying one without knowing what i should be looking for and having arranged with a mechanic to do the install...

My Syncro is in really good order so I think with an engine upgrade she will be perfect.

I am located in Ballarat in Victoria, so If I was to get someone to do the install I would prefer someone local or at least on the western side of Melbourne.

Cheers

Tony

Tony,

There wouldn’t be any business in Australia that is organized to the point of trading the MV engine. 

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Tony Marshall
Sent: 26 March 2012 13:10

Hey Paul,

Thanks for the link you sent me I'll check them out....

As for the sale of my motor.... I'm not sure if I'll need to trade it in on a replacement or not..

I'll keep your details if I decied to sell it.

Cheers Tony

Les,

Thanks for the feedback...

The motor has no doubt been looked after but I just got a but of a shock at it's fuel consumption 16ltrs for 100ks... Is this normal? ( I did have a severe head wind )
I have come from driving a turbo diesel rodeo 9ltrs for 100ks...
I am planing a trip over Easter from Ballarat-Sydney-Ballarat so I'll see how she goes...

Cheers Tony

Subject: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Subi upgrade
Sent: Mon, Mar 26, 2012 2:11:31 AM

Tony,

Whilst we have members who have fitted Subaru engines, this website is essentially for the standard T3 Syncro. 

Only one Australian business that fits Subaru engines I have heard of and that is in Brisbane.

It is possible for you to do it yourself and there are US kits available that make it a lot easier but there is still a lot of work involved.

Be assured that 153K isn’t much on an MV engine so long as it has been reasonably maintained.

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of logwood_1

Gday all,

Cheers

Tony

Changing your engine for a Subaru just for fuel economy is not worth it. It is doubtful if you would ever recoup the conversion costs.

Phill

> Tony Marshall <logwood_1@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>
> Les,
>
> Thanks for the feedback...
>
> The motor has no doubt been looked after but I just got a but of a shock
> at it's fuel consumption 16ltrs for 100ks... Is this normal? ( I did
> have a severe head wind )
> I have come from driving a turbo diesel rodeo 9ltrs for 100ks...
> I am planing a trip over Easter from Ballarat-Sydney-Ballarat so
> I'll see how she goes...
>
> Cheers Tony

Tony,

This is a heavy vehicle with a very square front.  Whilst 16 is high, it is not unexpected in adverse conditions.  The Syncro is geared for a combination of bush tracks, town and highway, not exclusively as a highway touring vehicle.  You can get better consumption by using lower speeds.  The drag on the vehicle increases as the square of the speed so small increases in speed bring big penalties in drag.  The Syncro is firmly in the stately progress camp, not the speedy camp.  Because of these factors, installing a later engine will not bring big improvements in consumption.   You have a very low KM engine and you might like to give the idea a lot more thought.

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Tony Marshall
Sent: 26 March 2012 14:16

Les,

The motor has no doubt been looked after but I just got a but of a shock at it's fuel consumption 16ltrs for 100ks... Is this normal? ( I did have a severe head wind )
I am planing a trip over Easter from Ballarat-Sydney-Ballarat so I'll see how she goes...

Cheers Tony

Tony,

Les

Gday all,

Cheers

Tony

Tony,

My 89 syncro had a transplant to a 1995 two litre Golf petrol motor in 2003. To me it gives more reliability, better fuel consumption (12l/100km), quieter and more power. Don't transplant til you have to, but the Golf motor is a great choice.
Doone Wyborn

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 2:08 PM, Les Harris <leslieharris@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

Tony,

This is a heavy vehicle with a very square front. Whilst 16 is high, it is not unexpected in adverse conditions. The Syncro is geared for a combination of bush tracks, town and highway, not exclusively as a highway touring vehicle. You can get better consumption by using lower speeds. The drag on the vehicle increases as the square of the speed so small increases in speed bring big penalties in drag. The Syncro is firmly in the stately progress camp, not the speedy camp. Because of these factors, installing a later engine will not bring big improvements in consumption. You have a very low KM engine and you might like to give the idea a lot more thought.

Les

Sent: 26 March 2012 14:16

Les,

Cheers Tony

Tony,

Les

Gday all,

Cheers

Tony

I get 12.5 per 100 fully loaded sitting on 120k on the free-way.
I rekon its worth it!
BenC

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, plander@... wrote:
>
> Changing your engine for a Subaru just for fuel economy is not worth it. It is doubtful if you would ever recoup the conversion costs.
>
> Phill
>
>
>
> > Tony Marshall <logwood_1@...> wrote:
> >
> > Les,
> >
> > Thanks for the feedback...
> >
> > The motor has no doubt been looked after but I just got a but of a shock
> > at it's fuel consumption 16ltrs for 100ks... Is this normal? ( I did
> > have a severe head wind )
> > I have come from driving a turbo diesel rodeo 9ltrs for 100ks...
> > I am planing a trip over Easter from Ballarat-Sydney-Ballarat so
> > I'll see how she goes...
> >
> > Cheers Tony
>
Tony,I know of only one bussiness that will convert your bus.
Your every day mechanic is not going to have the time to research this project thoroughly,and buy the parts,to do it properly.
If he did,it would cost mega bucks.
It took me 14 days straight to do the conversion,but there was 2 years research and purchasing parts before hand.
I suggest google RJES and smallcar and get on the other site mentioned.and start reading!
At-least get all the bits,then go looking for someone to do the conversion.
Oh as far as motors,99-01 ej25(less than 150k),is the best,do the belt,w/pump and pulleys,you need the whole harness,ecu,key and barrel all out of the same car.
I rekon buy from a wrecker,at least you dont have to get rid of the bits you dont need with a front cut.
BenC

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "Les Harris" <leslieharris@...> wrote:
>
> Tony,
>
> There wouldn't be any business in Australia that is organized to the point
> of trading the MV engine.
>
> Les
>
> _____
>
> From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Tony Marshall
> Sent: 26 March 2012 13:10
> To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Subi upgrade
>
>
>
>
> Hey Paul,
>
> Thanks for the link you sent me I'll check them out....
>
> As for the sale of my motor.... I'm not sure if I'll need to trade it in on
> a replacement or not..
>
> I'll keep your details if I decied to sell it.
>
> Cheers Tony
>

Hi tony

I have put a2.2 liberty motor into my syncro. Did all the work myself including manufacturing a tuned exhaust system. Results totally changed the car for the positive- power, better bearinged crank allows easier and higher revs, quieter, better fuel con ( at  any speed )

In n.s.w going to a 2.2 only needs a blue slip but a 2.5 may need engineer report and thus more cost.

I sold my vw motor, when still in good condition and it all but paid for the costs of the conversion.

I still have all my research, including wiring diagram.

This conversion also looks like it was meant to go into the space

Am on mid north coast n.s.w. if you want to have a look

brian

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Ben
Sent: Monday, 26 March 2012 7:06 PM
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Subi upgrade

Tony,I know of only one bussiness that will convert your bus.
Your every day mechanic is not going to have the time to research this project thoroughly,and buy the parts,to do it properly.
If he did,it would cost mega bucks.
It took me 14 days straight to do the conversion,but there was 2 years research and purchasing parts before hand.
I suggest google RJES and smallcar and get on the other site mentioned.and start reading!
At-least get all the bits,then go looking for someone to do the conversion.
Oh as far as motors,99-01 ej25(less than 150k),is the best,do the belt,w/pump and pulleys,you need the whole harness,ecu,key and barrel all out of the same car.
I rekon buy from a wrecker,at least you dont have to get rid of the bits you dont need with a front cut.
BenC

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "Les Harris" <leslieharris@...> wrote:
>
> Tony,
>
> There wouldn't be any business in Australia that is organized to the point
> of trading the MV engine.
>
> Les
>
> _____
>
> [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Tony Marshall
> Sent: 26 March 2012 13:10
> Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Subi upgrade
>
>
>
>
> Hey Paul,
>
> Thanks for the link you sent me I'll check them out....
>
> As for the sale of my motor.... I'm not sure if I'll need to trade it in on
> a replacement or not..
>
> I'll keep your details if I decied to sell it.
>
> Cheers Tony
>

Brian,where are you on the mid north coast?
Are you going to valla?
BenC

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "wendy and brian" <wendyandbrian7@...> wrote:
>
> Hi tony
>
> I have put a2.2 liberty motor into my syncro. Did all the work myself
> including manufacturing a tuned exhaust system. Results totally changed the
> car for the positive- power, better bearinged crank allows easier and higher
> revs, quieter, better fuel con ( at any speed )
>
> In n.s.w going to a 2.2 only needs a blue slip but a 2.5 may need engineer
> report and thus more cost.
>
> I sold my vw motor, when still in good condition and it all but paid for the
> costs of the conversion.
>
> I still have all my research, including wiring diagram.
>
> This conversion also looks like it was meant to go into the space
>
> Am on mid north coast n.s.w. if you want to have a look
>
> brian
>
>
>
> [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Ben
> Sent: Monday, 26 March 2012 7:06 PM
> Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Subi upgrade
>
>
>
>
>
> Tony,I know of only one bussiness that will convert your bus.
> Your every day mechanic is not going to have the time to research this
> project thoroughly,and buy the parts,to do it properly.
> If he did,it would cost mega bucks.
> It took me 14 days straight to do the conversion,but there was 2 years
> research and purchasing parts before hand.
> I suggest google RJES and smallcar and get on the other site mentioned.and
> start reading!
> At-least get all the bits,then go looking for someone to do the conversion.
> Oh as far as motors,99-01 ej25(less than 150k),is the best,do the
> belt,w/pump and pulleys,you need the whole harness,ecu,key and barrel all
> out of the same car.
> I rekon buy from a wrecker,at least you dont have to get rid of the bits you
> dont need with a front cut.
> BenC
>
> --- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> <mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia%40yahoogroups.com> , "Les Harris"
> <leslieharris@> wrote:
> >
> > Tony,
> >
> > There wouldn't be any business in Australia that is organized to the point
> > of trading the MV engine.
> >
> > Les
> >
> > _____
> >
> > From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> <mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia%40yahoogroups.com>
> > [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> <mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia%40yahoogroups.com> ] On Behalf Of Tony Marshall
> > Sent: 26 March 2012 13:10
> > To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> > Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Subi upgrade
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Hey Paul,
> >
> > Thanks for the link you sent me I'll check them out....
> >
> > As for the sale of my motor.... I'm not sure if I'll need to trade it in
> on
> > a replacement or not..
> >
> > I'll keep your details if I decied to sell it.
> >
> > Cheers Tony
> >
>
Hello Brian,

Could I have a copy of your research and wiring diagrams?

Leighton

Hi ben

Im in Wauchope

Valla is on my Calender, and i am planning to go

brian

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Ben
Sent: Monday, 26 March 2012 8:42 PM

Brian,where are you on the mid north coast?
Are you going to valla?
BenC

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "wendy and brian" <wendyandbrian7@...> wrote:
>
> Hi tony
>
> I have put a2.2 liberty motor into my syncro. Did all the work myself
> including manufacturing a tuned exhaust system. Results totally changed the
> car for the positive- power, better bearinged crank allows easier and higher
> revs, quieter, better fuel con ( at any speed )
>
> In n.s.w going to a 2.2 only needs a blue slip but a 2.5 may need engineer
> report and thus more cost.
>
> I sold my vw motor, when still in good condition and it all but paid for the
> costs of the conversion.
>
> I still have all my research, including wiring diagram.
>
> This conversion also looks like it was meant to go into the space
>
> Am on mid north coast n.s.w. if you want to have a look
>
> brian
>
>
>
> Sent: Monday, 26 March 2012 7:06 PM
>
>
>
>
>
> Tony,I know of only one bussiness that will convert your bus.
> Your every day mechanic is not going to have the time to research this
> project thoroughly,and buy the parts,to do it properly.
> If he did,it would cost mega bucks.
> It took me 14 days straight to do the conversion,but there was 2 years
> research and purchasing parts before hand.
> I suggest google RJES and smallcar and get on the other site mentioned.and
> start reading!
> At-least get all the bits,then go looking for someone to do the conversion.
> Oh as far as motors,99-01 ej25(less than 150k),is the best,do the
> belt,w/pump and pulleys,you need the whole harness,ecu,key and barrel all
> out of the same car.
> I rekon buy from a wrecker,at least you dont have to get rid of the bits you
> dont need with a front cut.
> BenC
>
> <mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia%40yahoogroups.com> , "Les Harris"
> <leslieharris@> wrote:
> >
> > Tony,
> >
> > There wouldn't be any business in Australia that is organized to the point
> > of trading the MV engine.
> >
> > Les
> >
> > _____
> >
> <mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia%40yahoogroups.com> ] On Behalf Of Tony Marshall
> > Sent: 26 March 2012 13:10
> > Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Subi upgrade
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Hey Paul,
> >
> > Thanks for the link you sent me I'll check them out....
> >
> > As for the sale of my motor.... I'm not sure if I'll need to trade it in
> on
> > a replacement or not..
> >
> > I'll keep your details if I decied to sell it.
> >
> > Cheers Tony
> >
>

Hi Leighton

Too many pages to send but will try to find the wiring diagram in a form that i can send

May take a bit of time

brian

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Leighton Smith
Sent: Monday, 26 March 2012 10:12 PM
To: syncro_t3_australia@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Subi upgrade

Hello Brian,

Leighton

Thanks Brian let me know if I can help with scanning.

Leighton

Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 09:45:02 +1100

Hi Leighton

Too many pages to send but will try to find the wiring diagram in a form that i can send

May take a bit of time

brian

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Leighton Smith

Hello Brian,

Leighton

Good on ya Brian,I am in Sydney,but I am organising with the help of a few other Mid-northcoasters a convoy up from Port.Will count you in then.We have atleast 7 or 8 so far.
I could meet up with you on the way up to Harts garage.
Also you will have to join us next January for our 3rd annual Midnorthcoasters day out,which usually ends up back at Port as well.
BenC

>
> Hi ben
>
> Im in Wauchope
>
> Valla is on my Calender, and i am planning to go
>
> brian
>
>
>
> Sent: Monday, 26 March 2012 8:42 PM
>
>
>
>
>
> Brian,where are you on the mid north coast?
> Are you going to valla?
> BenC
>
> <mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia%40yahoogroups.com> , "wendy and brian"
> <wendyandbrian7@> wrote:
> >
> > Hi tony
> >
> > I have put a2.2 liberty motor into my syncro. Did all the work myself
> > including manufacturing a tuned exhaust system. Results totally changed
> the
> > car for the positive- power, better bearinged crank allows easier and
> higher
> > revs, quieter, better fuel con ( at any speed )
> >
> > In n.s.w going to a 2.2 only needs a blue slip but a 2.5 may need engineer
> > report and thus more cost.
> >
> > I sold my vw motor, when still in good condition and it all but paid for
> the
> > costs of the conversion.
> >
> > I still have all my research, including wiring diagram.
> >
> > This conversion also looks like it was meant to go into the space
> >
> > Am on mid north coast n.s.w. if you want to have a look
> >
> > brian
> >
> >
> >
> <mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia%40yahoogroups.com> ] On Behalf Of Ben
> > Sent: Monday, 26 March 2012 7:06 PM
> > Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Subi upgrade
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Tony,I know of only one bussiness that will convert your bus.
> > Your every day mechanic is not going to have the time to research this
> > project thoroughly,and buy the parts,to do it properly.
> > If he did,it would cost mega bucks.
> > It took me 14 days straight to do the conversion,but there was 2 years
> > research and purchasing parts before hand.
> > I suggest google RJES and smallcar and get on the other site mentioned.and
> > start reading!
> > At-least get all the bits,then go looking for someone to do the
> conversion.
> > Oh as far as motors,99-01 ej25(less than 150k),is the best,do the
> > belt,w/pump and pulleys,you need the whole harness,ecu,key and barrel all
> > out of the same car.
> > I rekon buy from a wrecker,at least you dont have to get rid of the bits
> you
> > dont need with a front cut.
> > BenC
> >
> > --- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> > <mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia%40yahoogroups.com> , "Les Harris"
> > <leslieharris@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Tony,
> > >
> > > There wouldn't be any business in Australia that is organized to the
> point
> > > of trading the MV engine.
> > >
> > > Les
> > >
> > > _____
> > >
> > > From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> > <mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia%40yahoogroups.com>
> > > [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> > <mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia%40yahoogroups.com> ] On Behalf Of Tony
> Marshall
> > > Sent: 26 March 2012 13:10
> > > To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> > > Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Subi upgrade
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Hey Paul,
> > >
> > > Thanks for the link you sent me I'll check them out....
> > >
> > > As for the sale of my motor.... I'm not sure if I'll need to trade it in
> > on
> > > a replacement or not..
> > >
> > > I'll keep your details if I decied to sell it.
> > >
> > > Cheers Tony
> > >
> >
>

Hi ben

That sounds great about the trip from port.

Will find out more about the January trip when we meet

brian

Sent: Tuesday, 27 March 2012 9:03 PM

Good on ya Brian,I am in Sydney,but I am organising with the help of a few other Mid-northcoasters a convoy up from Port.Will count you in then.We have atleast 7 or 8 so far.
I could meet up with you on the way up to Harts garage.
Also you will have to join us next January for our 3rd annual Midnorthcoasters day out,which usually ends up back at Port as well.
BenC

>
> Hi ben
>
> Im in Wauchope
>
> Valla is on my Calender, and i am planning to go
>
> brian
>
>
>
> Sent: Monday, 26 March 2012 8:42 PM
>
>
>
>
>
> Brian,where are you on the mid north coast?
> Are you going to valla?
> BenC
>
> <mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia%40yahoogroups.com> , "wendy and brian"
> <wendyandbrian7@> wrote:
> >
> > Hi tony
> >
> > I have put a2.2 liberty motor into my syncro. Did all the work myself
> > including manufacturing a tuned exhaust system. Results totally changed
> the
> > car for the positive- power, better bearinged crank allows easier and
> higher
> > revs, quieter, better fuel con ( at any speed )
> >
> > In n.s.w going to a 2.2 only needs a blue slip but a 2.5 may need engineer
> > report and thus more cost.
> >
> > I sold my vw motor, when still in good condition and it all but paid for
> the
> > costs of the conversion.
> >
> > I still have all my research, including wiring diagram.
> >
> > This conversion also looks like it was meant to go into the space
> >
> > Am on mid north coast n.s.w. if you want to have a look
> >
> > brian
> >
> >
> >
> <mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia%40yahoogroups.com> ] On Behalf Of Ben
> > Sent: Monday, 26 March 2012 7:06 PM
> > Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Subi upgrade
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Tony,I know of only one bussiness that will convert your bus.
> > Your every day mechanic is not going to have the time to research this
> > project thoroughly,and buy the parts,to do it properly.
> > If he did,it would cost mega bucks.
> > It took me 14 days straight to do the conversion,but there was 2 years
> > research and purchasing parts before hand.
> > I suggest google RJES and smallcar and get on the other site mentioned.and
> > start reading!
> > At-least get all the bits,then go looking for someone to do the
> conversion.
> > Oh as far as motors,99-01 ej25(less than 150k),is the best,do the
> > belt,w/pump and pulleys,you need the whole harness,ecu,key and barrel all
> > out of the same car.
> > I rekon buy from a wrecker,at least you dont have to get rid of the bits
> you
> > dont need with a front cut.
> > BenC
> >
> > --- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> > <mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia%40yahoogroups.com> , "Les Harris"
> > <leslieharris@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Tony,
> > >
> > > There wouldn't be any business in Australia that is organized to the
> point
> > > of trading the MV engine.
> > >
> > > Les
> > >
> > > _____
> > >
> > > From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> > > [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> > <mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia%40yahoogroups.com> ] On Behalf Of Tony
> Marshall
> > > Sent: 26 March 2012 13:10
> > > To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> > > Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Subi upgrade
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Hey Paul,
> > >
> > > Thanks for the link you sent me I'll check them out....
> > >
> > > As for the sale of my motor.... I'm not sure if I'll need to trade it in
> > on
> > > a replacement or not..
> > >
> > > I'll keep your details if I decied to sell it.
> > >
> > > Cheers Tony
> > >
> >
>

Hi Leighton

You asked me for my information about subi conversion. I said it was too extensive to pass on to you via email. Well i was right.

On going back to my file i am proud of the way i have compiled my research. I always keep it stored in the van as a type of manual that i can refer to if i have a problem ( not that i have had a problem in the 4 years since it was fitted), also bently manual and a Subaru liberty manual.

Anyway some of my info came from google    subaruvanagon.con , californiavan.com/Subaru/90_91connectors/ , blabberon.com/plugs , blabberon.com/b-plus , blabberon.com/wiringschem , volksweb.relitech.com/Subaru , cycoactive.com/urabus/urabus_ , smallcar.com , fl.grpyahoofs.com/vl/ , subaruvanagon/message/46307 , smallcar.com/images/coolingschematics . yahoo Subaru vanagon chat group find engine tips re how to read trouble codes from ecu , put into google Subaru vanagon wiring diagram and click on any one but images is fantastic, also subaruvanagon getting started, etc etc etc.

I found  all this and more on my own, so if i can do it then any mug can. It was a great challenge, but when done you get such a feeling of satisfaction and connection with the vehicle. Through my time i have owned maby 100 vehicles and the ones that remain in the heart are the ones that you personally have an input into its creation. They are more than vehicles they become part of you. How can this be when they are just clumps of steel and plastic, wow i feel like writing a poem.

Its just up to how much you want it, but i will vouch that it changes the vehicle for the better. (now this will rattle some bones) and vw should have been the motor that vw put in it from the start. Read the history  of the 2.1 vw engine and you will find it was a cobbled up thing to get the bus through emissions in Europe snd the u.s. and had very little pre production testing to prove its credentials.

Hope this helps a bit

brian

Hello Brian,

Leighton