Syncro ... approved coolant

Gday all
Is there anyone out there can confirm or deny that G 11 or better
approved coolant is coloured green? Cheers

Ken
Dear Ken,
Can I quote from my VW/Seat/Skoda/Audi Genuine Parts G11 Coolant Additive bottle made in Germany by Volkswagen AG,Wolfsburg
 part number G011 A8CA1(also available in French and German)

"Can be filled in cast iron engines for life.
Offers necessary protection against frost,corrosion and formation of scale.Increases the boiling point.Can be used all year round.The coolant additive must be at least 40% (frost protection up to -25degrees C). It should not exceed 60% (frost protection up to -40degreesC)
ATTENTION! G11 should never be mixed with coolant additive G12. It is therefore necessary to pay attention to the colour in the expansion tank.G11 is recognised by its dark blue-green, G12 by its red colour. If the coolant mix is brown (ie coolant additives have been mixed) an engine flush and complete coolant refill are necessary.In this case it is important to refer to the instructions in the owner's and repair manual! "

their underlining
my owner's manual says in part
"only our G11 or an additive with the specification TL-VW774A (marked on container)should be added to the coolant. These additives can be obtained from V.A.G Dealerships.
Other additives can be very detrimental to the anticorrosion effect in particular."
strangely I can't see where their genuine VW coolant container quotes the above TL-VW774A additive specification but it does clearly label it as G11

It does look more blue-green in the bottle than the green coolant in places like K mart..
I was at my service centre last year and was shown a stripped down motor where some of the head bolts had partly corroded away supposedly from not using the correct coolant. The mechanic reckoned they had to send them out for highly specialised removal at I think $150 per bolt.

May all your coolant look blue-green.
Cheers
Roger
Melbourne
92 Syncro campervan 16"


Ken <unclekenz@yahoo.com> wrote:
Gday all
Is there anyone out there can confirm or deny that G 11 or better
approved coolant is coloured green? Cheers

Ken






On Yahoo!7
Answers: Real people ask and answer questions on any topic.

Gday Roger,

Thanks for the comprehensive coolant info and confirmation about the G11 coolant colour as being dark blue-green.

Very interesting. Before I bought this Syncro 2 months ago, it was serviced since at least 1999 and perhaps even earlier by Autohaus Strecker Pty Ltd, service agents for prestige european cars including VW. They are at Alexandria in Sydney and their web URL is www.autohaus.com.au

I have the service records from the last owner. The coolant listed as used at each service... probably some sort of top-up I guess,  is listed on their invoices as G 011 V8B A1 ... different from your part number, Roger. But the killer is ... what drained out of the coolant pipe and the expansion tank was distinctly green in colour ... not a trace of blue ... and the coolant was carrying sludge and the expansion tank and rubber hoses had a build-up of a very fine brown sediment. Could this be the dreaded rust residue from deteriorating head studs or only from dusty roads in the outback or both? And it was serviced by A.S. about a month before I bought it and it doesn't leak coolant.

So much for this expert, approved, service agent. How could this coolant system be in a sludgy, wrong colour coolant state I found it? Given it's no secret amongst VW people how critical it is for the longevity of this motor to use genuine G11 or better coolant only and the importance of maintaining the coolant in an optimum state. I'm not colour blind. It was green coolant. If it's stated that G11 is dark blue-green, that suggests it's predominantly dark blue with a green influence. Certainly not predominantly green with NO blue influence.

I've also spoken to the 2nd owner of this Syncro. He said he took it to Autohaus Strecker once only back in the early 90's. He chose not to darken their door again. Bit of a worry eh ....

I think I'll stick with my local VW service guy.

Thanks Roger, much appreciated for all your efforts. Cheers.

Ken


--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, Roger Bell <bellrmit@...> wrote:
>
> Dear Ken,
> Can I quote from my VW/Seat/Skoda/Audi Genuine Parts G11 Coolant Additive bottle made in Germany by Volkswagen AG,Wolfsburg
> part number G011 A8CA1(also available in French and German)
>
> "Can be filled in cast iron engines for life.
> Offers necessary protection against frost,corrosion and formation of scale.Increases the boiling point.Can be used all year round.The coolant additive must be at least 40% (frost protection up to -25degrees C). It should not exceed 60% (frost protection up to -40degreesC)
> ATTENTION! G11 should never be mixed with coolant additive G12. It is therefore necessary to pay attention to the colour in the expansion tank.G11 is recognised by its dark blue-green, G12 by its red colour. If the coolant mix is brown (ie coolant additives have been mixed) an engine flush and complete coolant refill are necessary.In this case it is important to refer to the instructions in the owner's and repair manual! "
>
> their underlining
> my owner's manual says in part
> "only our G11 or an additive with the specification TL-VW774A (marked on container)should be added to the coolant. These additives can be obtained from V.A.G Dealerships.
> Other additives can be very detrimental to the anticorrosion effect in particular."
> strangely I can't see where their genuine VW coolant container quotes the above TL-VW774A additive specification but it does clearly label it as G11
>
> It does look more blue-green in the bottle than the green coolant in places like K mart..
> I was at my service centre last year and was shown a stripped down motor where some of the head bolts had partly corroded away supposedly from not using the correct coolant. The mechanic reckoned they had to send them out for highly specialised removal at I think $150 per bolt.
>
> May all your coolant look blue-green.
> Cheers
> Roger
> Melbourne
> 92 Syncro campervan 16"
>
>
> Ken unclekenz@... wrote: Gday all
> Is there anyone out there can confirm or deny that G 11 or better
> approved coolant is coloured green? Cheers
>
> Ken
>
>
>
>
>
>
> SPONSORED LINKS
> Long weekend Narooma Volkswagen Australia Details
>
> ---------------------------------
> YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
>
>
> Visit your group "Syncro_T3_Australia" on the web.
>
> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> Syncro_T3_Australia-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
>
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.
>
>
> ---------------------------------
>
>
>
>
>
> ---------------------------------
> On Yahoo!7
> Answers: Real people ask and answer questions on any topic.
>

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "Ken" <unclekenz@...> wrote:
>
>
> Gday Roger,
>
> Thanks for the comprehensive coolant info and confirmation about the G11
> coolant colour as being dark blue-green.
>


Just a few observations about coolant. I purchased my syncro in 1998 from Telecom and
immediately had the coolant changed to VW G11. Eight years later and an additional
220,000 kms on top of telecoms 90,000km I am still using the same heads and have not
had any leaking. The brown sediment you are refer to may well be from rusty inserts in
each end of the long plastic coolant pipes.I have had one replaced and noticed that the
insert used to stop the hose clamp from crushing the pipe was extremely rusted and
deteriorated. Why they used steel I will never know.Hopefully it will not be your head
studs.Of equal importance to the longevity of your motor is the absence of any air in the
system. I check for air by bleeding the system through the bleed screw in the top of the
radiator every 10,000 km just to be shure. I found out that a slight leak in the above
mentioned pipe was letting in air. This in conjunctionin with a faulty pressure relief valve
in the top of the coolant reservoir resulted in three seperate coolant disasters where: the
coolant level sensor exploded, the large hose blew offand finally a plactic junction
connector blew apart. Since these things have been rectified (over two years ago) there
have been no further coolant issues. I have a theory that this build up of pressure may be
responsible for the start of the leaky head syndrome and a contributor to corroded heads.
It is only a theory. Last point. The coolant is mixed 50/50 with water. Our water quality is
so poor in SA that I use demineralised water.
Gday Nick

Very good points Nick, thank you. I've printed out your reply for
further follow up and checking for air in the system. I think I'm a
candidate for a complete flush out of the cooling system and starting
again.

In message 773, Roger mentions about the Go Westy kit for replacing the
poly hose end fittings you are talking about here. I should get a set I
reckon.

As far as blowing hoses is concerned, Phill mentioned that the original
black cap on the expansion tank can cause burst hoses and recommended
changing to the newer blue or purple coloured cap to overcome that. Fair
enough I say, but interestingly when I went to order a cap from my local
VW service guy, he'd never heard of that issue, in fact he reckoned not
having seen much in the way of "blown" hoses on T3's. He was unaware
there is a difference in the caps. And he's been servicing VW's for 30
years plus. And he owned a T3. So there you go, who knows eh .... I
wonder if there is a discernible difference in the design of the
workings in the caps .... I'll do an A-B visual when I get my pinkies on
a newer one.

My mechanic also said to collect your own rainwater if possible for the
T3 or else buy demineralised ... never use tap water.

He also said that when this problem of the rusting head studs first
cropped up, VW finally solved it with the G11 coolant and in their case
(I'm not sure if this was done everywhere else), they also installed
replacement studs in stainless steel. Problem solved he said and agreed
that getting the rusted studs out first was a real hassle.

Cheers

Ken


--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "nickbellau"
<nick.bellgrove@...> wrote:
>
> --- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "Ken" unclekenz@ wrote:
> >
> >
> > Gday Roger,
> >
> > Thanks for the comprehensive coolant info and confirmation about the
G11
> > coolant colour as being dark blue-green.
> >
>
>
> Just a few observations about coolant. I purchased my syncro in 1998
from Telecom and
> immediately had the coolant changed to VW G11. Eight years later and
an additional
> 220,000 kms on top of telecoms 90,000km I am still using the same
heads and have not
> had any leaking. The brown sediment you are refer to may well be from
rusty inserts in
> each end of the long plastic coolant pipes.I have had one replaced and
noticed that the
> insert used to stop the hose clamp from crushing the pipe was
extremely rusted and
> deteriorated. Why they used steel I will never know.Hopefully it will
not be your head
> studs.Of equal importance to the longevity of your motor is the
absence of any air in the
> system. I check for air by bleeding the system through the bleed screw
in the top of the
> radiator every 10,000 km just to be shure. I found out that a slight
leak in the above
> mentioned pipe was letting in air. This in conjunctionin with a faulty
pressure relief valve
> in the top of the coolant reservoir resulted in three seperate coolant
disasters where: the
> coolant level sensor exploded, the large hose blew offand finally a
plactic junction
> connector blew apart. Since these things have been rectified (over two
years ago) there
> have been no further coolant issues. I have a theory that this build
up of pressure may be
> responsible for the start of the leaky head syndrome and a contributor
to corroded heads.
> It is only a theory. Last point. The coolant is mixed 50/50 with
water. Our water quality is
> so poor in SA that I use demineralised water.
>
--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "Ken" <unclekenz@...> wrote:
>
> Gday all
> Is there anyone out there can confirm or deny that G 11 or better
> approved coolant is coloured green? Cheers
>
> Ken
>
Mine is purple (I remember the colour changed 2 years ago) and seems to be the stuff.
Different bottle too. I don't think colour matters.
G11 no longer available.
Replaced with G12+

G11 and G12 cannot be mixed but G12+ can be mixed with either with no
problems.

The colour of the G12+ is purple to mauve.

Have you contacted VW yet and tried to purchase any? Ring them up and
ask the question.

I havnt been able to get G11 for about 18 months and have been running
the G12+.
All good so far.

Andy
My local VW mechanic referenced the new coolant as G13 and I concur with
what you said about mixing being ok.

So far no one in the forum other than I has recent experience of
"alleged" green G11. Interesting.

The plot thickens.

In my view, what I have read so far confirms colour IS critical ... if
for no other reason than to eliminate dudd coolants, i.e. ... green
ones.

A case of live and learn at this early stage of the Syncro experience I
guess. Thanks all.




--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "Andy & Mel" <ossyncro@...>
wrote:
>
>
> G11 no longer available.
> Replaced with G12+
>
> G11 and G12 cannot be mixed but G12+ can be mixed with either with no
> problems.
>
> The colour of the G12+ is purple to mauve.
>
> Have you contacted VW yet and tried to purchase any? Ring them up and
> ask the question.
>
> I havnt been able to get G11 for about 18 months and have been running
> the G12+.
> All good so far.
>
> Andy
>
I have heard that G11 is no longer available and that G12 is not to
be used in the wasserboxer, but do not know about G12+. I would be
making sure before using it. Where you would get the information I do
not know and I would definately not believe a spare parts salesman.

Maybe we need to ask someone in Germany?

Phill


--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "Andy & Mel"
<ossyncro@...> wrote:
>
>
> G11 no longer available.
> Replaced with G12+
>
> G11 and G12 cannot be mixed but G12+ can be mixed with either with
no
> problems.
>
> The colour of the G12+ is purple to mauve.
>
> Have you contacted VW yet and tried to purchase any? Ring them up
and
> ask the question.
>
> I havnt been able to get G11 for about 18 months and have been
running
> the G12+.
> All good so far.
>
> Andy
>
I have put out some enquiries, including to Volkswagen AG.  I will post as soon as some information comes in.
 
Les
----- Original Message -----
From: hdvwoc
Sent: Wednesday, May 10, 2006 7:53 AM
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Syncro ... approved coolant

I have heard that G11 is no longer available and that G12 is not to
be used in the wasserboxer, but do not know about G12+. I would be
making sure before using it. Where you would get the information I do
not know and I would definately not believe a spare parts salesman.

Maybe we need to ask someone in Germany?

Phill
If anyone is unfortunate enough to get a broken stud, spark erosion will get the broken end out.  there are several places that do this.  My understanding is that the correct coolant will prevent this but plain water will guarantee it!
 
Les
----- Original Message -----
From: Ken
Sent: Tuesday, May 09, 2006 8:31 PM
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Syncro ... approved coolant




He also said that when this problem of the rusting head studs first
cropped up, VW finally solved it with the G11 coolant and in their case
(I'm not sure if this was done everywhere else), they also installed
replacement studs in stainless steel. Problem solved he said and agreed
that getting the rusted studs out first was a real hassle.

Cheers

Ken


> If anyone is unfortunate enough to get a broken stud, spark erosion will
> get the broken end out. there are several places that do this. My
> understanding is that the correct coolant will prevent this but plain
> water will guarantee it!
>
> Les


That's what I was told. As per my web page "tap water is verboten!".

Didn't Holden have the same problem with head gaskets in Sydney about ten years ago due to the high concentration of chlorine?
Hey all,

I ended up using Nulon Red coolant and mostly demineralised water.
Will let you know if my engine dies in the coming months. Some vw
people, and Nulon said I could use it. Other vw heads have said to
use nothing but the vw coolant or I'm crazy and have a death wish.

We'll see, fingers crossed.

:) Sam

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, plander@... wrote:
>
>
>
>
> > If anyone is unfortunate enough to get a broken stud, spark
erosion will
> > get the broken end out. there are several places that do this.
My
> > understanding is that the correct coolant will prevent this but
plain
> > water will guarantee it!
> >
> > Les
>
>
> That's what I was told. As per my web page "tap water is
verboten!".
>
> Didn't Holden have the same problem with head gaskets in Sydney
about ten years ago due to the high concentration of chlorine?
>
Gday Les,

Any details back yet from Volkswagen AG about the approved coolant
please?

I've finished the repairs to the steel coolant pipe and refilled the
system with the old coolant I saved and topped up with distilled water
and everything seems aok but I reckon I need to do a full flush of the
cooling system and change to a different coolant, depending on what info
you receive. Cheers and thanks.

Ken


--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "leslie harris"
<leslieharris@...> wrote:
>
> I have put out some enquiries, including to Volkswagen AG. I will post
as soon as some information comes in.
>
> Les
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: hdvwoc
> To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> Sent: Wednesday, May 10, 2006 7:53 AM
> Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Syncro ... approved coolant
>
>
> I have heard that G11 is no longer available and that G12 is not to
> be used in the wasserboxer, but do not know about G12+. I would be
> making sure before using it. Where you would get the information I do
> not know and I would definately not believe a spare parts salesman.
>
> Maybe we need to ask someone in Germany?
>
> Phill
>
Still waiting for a reply!
 
Les
----- Original Message -----
From: Ken
Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2006 11:53 PM
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Syncro ... approved coolant


Gday Les,

Any details back yet from Volkswagen AG about the approved coolant
please?