T3 Spares?

Hi again,

I was fortunate enough today to pick up a very nice (2WD) Caravelle GL, with a host of nice factory options above the GL spec like factory AC, electric mirrors, slide out step, factory mags etc. Inside it is very nice, exterior is quite worn though and some rust showing up in the usual places. Has a very nice (factory look) stainless muffler also.

Anyway, even though I plan to keep it complete and drivable, it's main purpose is to keep the Syncro on the road. Motor wise it is stock, drove 100km home on the highway perfectly, so hopefully it is a good source of parts when required. It is an auto (very nice to drive!!)

So a few questions. Firstly, am I correct in thinking the motor is a simple swap if required. The only difference is the coolant lines and thermostat? (well swapping the fly wheel as this is an auto).

Next, I can also pull critical parts to take with me when I go away on a trip. What parts are worth taking (ECU, AFM, dizzy). I assume if other things fail, like O2 sensor, temp sender, oil pressure switch, idle valve, these things might affect running, but will not leave you stranded.

Again I assume these parts will be interchangeable (I have an '89 caravelle Syncro, this is a '90 2WD)

Over the week end I will have a closer look at the bus and compare part numbers to get a better idea.

Thanks again.

Richard

The distributor will work, but it is different.
Syncro has a pulley oil seal.
Temp sensor is different. Just buy a new one a they are cheap.
Sounds like a nice bus Richard.
Swapping the torque plate for a flywheel is not as simple as it seems. There is a labyrinth of seals and shims behind there that set the crankshaft endplay.
Phill do you know what the difference is with the distributers? The latter etka that I have seems to supersede to the syncro part. Greg E

From: "plander@optusnet.com.au [Syncro_T3_Australia]" <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com>
To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, 11 July 2015, 6:35
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: T3 Spares?

The distributor will work, but it is different.
Syncro has a pulley oil seal.
Temp sensor is different. Just buy a new one a they are cheap.

Just guessing but probably the advance curve.
VW probably just want to keep less spares.
Same with the Australian catalytic converters that were a different part number from the 2 others that the rest of the world had. 
Hey folks,

I have a mate who is trying to track down a proper Puch badge so that he can get the measurements exact and then produce lots of new ones in Stainless Steel or plastic via 3D printing. See the prototypes below:

Does anyone have one he could borrow and return (he will pay postage)?

Thanks,

Skot

Thanks for the info. Had not looked at what is involved in removing the flywheel, will have a read of the Bentley.

Is the case different for the seal at the pulley, or can a seal be fitted?

Funny you mention the dizzy, I have noticed the torque curve seems quite different to the Syncro. My Syncro is quite peaky, down low it lacks torque, high revs it pulls very strong. The auto seems has a much flatter torque curve, which I guess it suits the auto. (it would suit my driving better also)

The Syncro ping's if you push your foot to the floor under load which the 2WD doesn't (I locked it in 2nd to run up to redline, 5000rpm on the rev counter)

Anyway, as a doner to keep the syncro going or to help with fault finding it should serve it's purpose.

Had a quick look over it today, yes it is a nice bus, spent most of it's life in north Sydney, bought from and serviced by Nothshore VW until '97 when it was sold, the new owner used Muller's until they moved to Brisbane a couple of years ago. Service records show quite a few things done over the years, heads were done at 150k km which seemed very early (cracked heads). Dissy was replaced with a new one also

I was quite surprised at how different they are underneath. Never really had the chance to compare a 2WD and 4WD side by side.

Richard

Hi Skot
You could borrow mine but it is coming back end October only and it has a TriStar fixed to it.
Hart
Sent from my WalkingStick!

On 11/07/2015, at 19:13, "Scott Pitcher spbconsulting@bigpond.com [Syncro_T3_Australia]" <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hey folks,

I have a mate who is trying to track down a proper Puch badge so that he can get the measurements exact and then produce lots of new ones in Stainless Steel or plastic via 3D printing. See the prototypes below:

<10348173_1603523446531064_2716063921404850142_n.jpg>

Thanks,

Skot

Thanks Hart.

I think he wants something sooner than that.

Maybe someone could just measure theirs?

Cheers,

Skot

On 11/07/2015 10:09 PM, Hartmut Kiehn hartis@live.com.au [Syncro_T3_Australia] wrote:
Hi Skot
You could borrow mine but it is coming back end October only and it has a TriStar fixed to it.
Hart
Sent from my WalkingStick!

On 11/07/2015, at 19:13, "Scott Pitcher spbconsulting@bigpond.com [Syncro_T3_Australia]" <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hey folks,

<10348173_1603523446531064_2716063921404850142_n.jpg>

Thanks,

Skot

Hi Richard,

Regarding the change from auto to manual, I just removed the flex plate and then fitted a flywheel to the drive piece - they were both 2wd's.

It was very easy and it had alignment holes ready. I removed a clutch and flywheel from the dead manual engine and installed it on the "good" auto-magic engine and it worked perfectly. (By the way I did this myself so I know first hand).

By the way the engine carrier bar is shorter in height for the 2wd than the 4wd (ie 2wd motor sits higher than syncro).

Cheers,

Skot

On 11/07/2015 9:35 PM, cathrich1@yahoo.com.au [Syncro_T3_Australia] wrote:

Thanks for the info. Had not looked at what is involved in removing the flywheel, will have a read of the Bentley.

Funny you mention the dizzy, I have noticed the torque curve seems quite different to the Syncro. My Syncro is quite peaky, down low it lacks torque, high revs it pulls very strong. The auto seems has a much flatter torque curve, which I guess it suits the auto. (it would suit my driving better also)

The Syncro ping's if you push your foot to the floor under load which the 2WD doesn't (I locked it in 2nd to run up to redline, 5000rpm on the rev counter)

Anyway, as a doner to keep the syncro going or to help with fault finding it should serve it's purpose.

Had a quick look over it today, yes it is a nice bus, spent most of it's life in north Sydney, bought from and serviced by Nothshore VW until '97 when it was sold, the new owner used Muller's until they moved to Brisbane a couple of years ago. Service records show quite a few things done over the years, heads were done at 150k km which seemed very early (cracked heads). Dissy was replaced with a new one also

I was quite surprised at how different they are underneath. Never really had the chance to compare a 2WD and 4WD side by side.

Richard

Pinging?
What fuel are you using?

Hi Skot,

What format does he require for the 3D file. I could draw one up.

I can't see how it's attached (stuck on?), so I would not like to take mine off. I can't see anything coming out the back, so assume it is just flat, I can draw it up in Inventor and convert to a convenient file type.

Let me know if this helps.

For little things like this I am happy to draw parts up, and can get small parts machined or profile cut/bent up if it helps people out. Like everything costs come down if there are a group of people after the same thing.

Richard 

I alternate between 98 and 95.

Don't notice any difference in economy or power between them.

Richard

Hi Richard,

These are the extra dimensions we need:

http://s275.photobucket.com/user/baja53/media/2015/temporary.jpg_zpsq62yy85q.png.html
photo temporary.jpg_zps9mlr0ujr.png

http://s275.photobucket.com/user/baja53/media/2015/temporary.jpg_zps9mlr0ujr.png.html
photo temporary.jpg_zpsq62yy85q.png

Its some of the inner and chamfered circle diameters on the front and back he wants - not all will be possible though - unless you remove it from your syncro......

Let me know if you cant read them.

Cheers,

Skot

On 12/07/2015 10:18 PM, cathrich1@yahoo.com.au [Syncro_T3_Australia] wrote:

Hi Skot,

What format does he require for the 3D file. I could draw one up.

I can't see how it's attached (stuck on?), so I would not like to take mine off. I can't see anything coming out the back, so assume it is just flat, I can draw it up in Inventor and convert to a convenient file type.

Let me know if this helps.

For little things like this I am happy to draw parts up, and can get small parts machined or profile cut/bent up if it helps people out. Like everything costs come down if there are a group of people after the same thing.

Richard

Did you check the crank end float after you did the swap Scott?

From: "Scott Pitcher spbconsulting@bigpond.com [Syncro_T3_Australia]" <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Saturday, 11 July 2015, 22:44
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: T3 Spares?

Hi Richard,

Regarding the change from auto to manual, I just removed the flex plate and then fitted a flywheel to the drive piece - they were both 2wd's.

It was very easy and it had alignment holes ready. I removed a clutch and flywheel from the dead manual engine and installed it on the "good" auto-magic engine and it worked perfectly. (By the way I did this myself so I know first hand).

By the way the engine carrier bar is shorter in height for the 2wd than the 4wd (ie 2wd motor sits higher than syncro).

Cheers,

Skot

Funny you mention the dizzy, I have noticed the torque curve seems quite different to the Syncro. My Syncro is quite peaky, down low it lacks torque, high revs it pulls very strong. The auto seems has a much flatter torque curve, which I guess it suits the auto. (it would suit my driving better also)
The Syncro ping's if you push your foot to the floor under load which the 2WD doesn't (I locked it in 2nd to run up to redline, 5000rpm on the rev counter)

Richard

Its been a while since I have had an MV dissy apart but I don't remember any centrifugal weights. Isn't all the advance done by the ecu? I thought it might have been a water sealing thing. Les you just had one apart was it a solid shaft or split?

From: "plander@optusnet.com.au [Syncro_T3_Australia]" <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Saturday, 11 July 2015, 18:43

Same with the Australian catalytic converters that were a different part number from the 2 others that the rest of the world had. 

Greg,

No I just slapped the flywheel on, bolted it up and aligned and bolted up the clutch.

It did have end float play after running it you can see but only a very small amount.

It all started playing up after it ran out of fuel due to an inaccurate fuel gauge.

I got it all running ok but it didnt like the #3 cylinder and then the crack bearing shit itself.

Hence bottom end rebuild required - so the donk is getting chucked.

I have another lined up but its still inside a van waiting for the Owner to swap his new donk over.

The 2wd caravelle is sitting in a car port with a proper kombi cover over it so it shouldnt deteriorate.

Hopefully.

Cheers,

Skot

On 13/07/2015 8:13 AM, Greg Esposito gregespo73@yahoo.com [Syncro_T3_Australia] wrote:

From: "Scott Pitcher spbconsulting@bigpond.com [Syncro_T3_Australia]" <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com>

Hi Richard,

Cheers,

Skot

Funny you mention the dizzy, I have noticed the torque curve seems quite different to the Syncro. My Syncro is quite peaky, down low it lacks torque, high revs it pulls very strong. The auto seems has a much flatter torque curve, which I guess it suits the auto. (it would suit my driving better also)
The Syncro ping's if you push your foot to the floor under load which the 2WD doesn't (I locked it in 2nd to run up to redline, 5000rpm on the rev counter)

Richard

I had a peak at your mates photobucket. He is up to some cool stuff. Is he going to sell those 3d printed hub caps? The vintage air hvac unit is the way to go, lots of work though.

Sent: Monday, 13 July 2015, 8:37

Greg,

No I just slapped the flywheel on, bolted it up and aligned and bolted up the clutch.

It did have end float play after running it you can see but only a very small amount.

It all started playing up after it ran out of fuel due to an inaccurate fuel gauge.

I got it all running ok but it didnt like the #3 cylinder and then the crack bearing shit itself.

I have another lined up but its still inside a van waiting for the Owner to swap his new donk over.

The 2wd caravelle is sitting in a car port with a proper kombi cover over it so it shouldnt deteriorate.

Hopefully.

Cheers,

Skot

On 13/07/2015 8:13 AM, Greg Esposito gregespo73@yahoo.com [Syncro_T3_Australia] wrote:

Hi Richard,

Cheers,

Skot

Richard

Greg,

Correct.  The Hall sender provides the ECU with the RPM data and the ECU applies the required advance depending on load, temperature, etc. 

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: 13 July 2015 08:29

Its been a while since I have had an MV dissy apart but I don't remember any centrifugal weights. Isn't all the advance done by the ecu? I thought it might have been a water sealing thing. Les you just had one apart was it a solid shaft or split?

Sent: Saturday, 11 July 2015, 18:43

Greg,

My mate Nils is up to lots of tricks - loves his 3D printing.

He is also making up some bases for T3 fitted Toyota landcruiser troop carrier mirrors which look very similar to the rectangular shape of the T3 mirrors yet are bulkier and more sexy with the power mirror type bases he is printing.

He showed me one at Berry Blast a week ago and it looks great.

He is a sheet metal worker and seems to not have enough work as he seems to play with too many gadgets!

Cheers,

Skot

On 13/07/2015 9:00 AM, Greg Esposito gregespo73@yahoo.com [Syncro_T3_Australia] wrote:
I had a peak at your mates photobucket. He is up to some cool stuff. Is he going to sell those 3d printed hub caps? The vintage air hvac unit is the way to go, lots of work though.

Sent: Monday, 13 July 2015, 8:37

Greg,

Hopefully.

Cheers,

Skot

Hi Richard,

Cheers,

Skot

Richard

I'll get what I can. The pins he shows I don't see protruding inside the guard on mine, so won't be able to get without removing which I don't want to do sorry.