T3 syncro front axle shaft

Hi guys.

Had a bit of a drama today with the attempt of lifting my syncro. 
I've been using this tutorial (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6iS8ktEHOg).
All went reasonable well until the very last bit, when you get to put the wishbone back on. It turned out, that somewhere during the work, my axle popped out of the cv joint (at the diff side). So I took the boot of, CV out, groove for the circlip on the axle looks OK, circlip looks OK.

Anyway, I'm having trouble now getting the CV back on. The shaft is still attached on the wheel side.
Does anyone have any suggestions? Is it absolutely necessary to take the whole shaft out, redo the CV and then put it back in, or is there a workaround somehow? There is not much space for the fingers there to properly align the CV and to then push it on. Have no idea, if I'll be able to put the circlip back into to the groove, in case I somehow mange to put the CV back on the axle...

In case, the shaft needs to come out for the CV re installation, how do I do that? I don't have any special press. And how do I undo the big axle nut on the shaft at the wheel side now, that nothing is holding it in place.

Any help highly appreciated.
Best regards

Beau

Hi Beau,

So your installing the same spacer as on the video, or your own?

You must have swung the axle a long way for the CV to come apart!

Just to clarify, have the balls come out of the CV (outer race still on GB, inner race still on axle), or has the axle (spline) come out of the CV inner race? (complete CV still on GB)

Either way I would think it will be difficult to algn everything with all the weight of the suspension hanging off it to get it back together. I would be removing the CV and put it all back on the axle correctly. Tie it up so it hangs roughly in place while you get the suspension together.

The circlips are quite soft, if they have been re-used at some point in the past, they are not a good fit anymore, so could be the reason it's off. You can bend them a bit to re-use, but if it's come off before, it might be worth getting a new one also

If there's no room to get the circlip back on, you might be able to swing the hub away enough to make room. I would not run with the circlip off. As long as nothing is burred, you should not need to press the axle in, and hopefully not need to remove the wheel side of the axle.

---In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, <beau.sagadin@...> wrote :

Hi guys.

All went reasonable well until the very last bit, when you get to put the wishbone back on. It turned out, that somewhere during the work, my axle popped out of the cv joint (at the diff side). So I took the boot of, CV out, groove for the circlip on the axle looks OK, circlip looks OK.

Anyway, I'm having trouble now getting the CV back on. The shaft is still attached on the wheel side.
Does anyone have any suggestions? Is it absolutely necessary to take the whole shaft out, redo the CV and then put it back in, or is there a workaround somehow? There is not much space for the fingers there to properly align the CV and to then push it on. Have no idea, if I'll be able to put the circlip back into to the groove, in case I somehow mange to put the CV back on the axle...

In case, the shaft needs to come out for the CV re installation, how do I do that? I don't have any special press. And how do I undo the big axle nut on the shaft at the wheel side now, that nothing is holding it in place.

Best regards

Beau

Hi Beau,
We are talking rear wheel ? Ok , you dont loosen the big wheel nut , but you take out the 6 srews holding the CV to the stubaxle. A pocket torch helps and if the internal bolt heads are covered in mud you scrape them clean. Have some help to stand on the brake pedal.
Btw, to loosen the big nut the wheel has to have ground contact, you do need a
socket (42 or 46, dont know as i m not in the w shop) and most of all you need a steel pipe 2m +- long to undo the nut after the splitpin was removed.
I think this is covered in the Bentleys also.

Say, if you are stuck in the middle of nowhere and the axle has to be removed, you take it out, engage the difflock and drive home on 3 wheel drive.
Good luck, where are you ? Maybe someone near can assist if you have problems.
Hart

Sent from my iPad

On 10 Jun 2017, at 6:06 PM, beau.sagadin@yahoo.com [Syncro_T3_Australia] <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hi guys.

Best regards

Beau

Hi guys.

Thanks for the help so far...

We are talking about the front axle...
I was using the same aluminium spacers, as are on the video...

To clarify: inside the CV, circlip somehow popped off the groove, so the axle spline just went out of the CV (inner race) - CV still assembled, balls in its place. CV was still bolted on the diff at that stage. I then slid the boot of the CV along the shaft and felt with my fingers, the criclip is floating inside the CV (in the grease). I the unbolted the CV off the diff and took it off the van...

Now, that I have daylight again, I will try to asses situation better (criclip groove, beginning of the axle spline, etc., ) clean it up well and try to put the CV back on axle without removing the axle. If that fails, I think the only way will be to remove the axle and do it on the bench. In order to do that, I need to remove the 350Nm tightened axle nut, which might be a bit of a problem in my situation...

Will keep you posted.

Cheers
Beau
Hey guys.

GOOD NEWS.

Plan nr. 1 worked. :) After good inspection I found out, that on the entrance for the axle in the CV (little teeth), one groove was a bit damaged, so I gently reshaped it with the file. After that, the CV went on the axle without problems. I re-seated the circlip properly (circlip is rotated with pressure so seated properly). I have no other explanation for this case, then the circlip was not seated properly, when installed before. This is now the third issue with previous poor workmanship (supposed overhaul of the starter motor was done there - looked like they just cleaned it as the brushes were completely worn after 5k kms; they used the wrong front exhaust pipe so that the protection bash brackets under engine seats 30mm too low, as the pipe is in its way; and who knows, what they did with the clutch kit, that they installed 10k km ago as I'm getting intermittent hard clutch/non disengagin problems) I had with syncro, that I bought in November, last year in Melbourne. With previous owner it was serviced at Volkswerk in Melbourne. I would never take it there... Beware Melburnians.

Best regards
Beau
Great result Beau.

This is why I get NRMA Premium cover. You can get towed back home or to your own mechanic and avoid get stung by some dodgy mechanic that has no clue about these vehicles - they are a speciality.

Attach some photos of your syncro all lifted once finished :)

Cheers,

Skot

On 11/06/2017 10:26 AM, beau.sagadin@yahoo.com [Syncro_T3_Australia] wrote:
Hey guys.

GOOD NEWS.

Plan nr. 1 worked. :) After good inspection I found out, that on the entrance for the axle in the CV (little teeth), one groove was a bit damaged, so I gently reshaped it with the file. After that, the CV went on the axle without problems. I re-seated the circlip properly (circlip is rotated with pressure so seated properly). I have no other explanation for this case, then the circlip was not seated properly, when installed before. This is now the third issue with previous poor workmanship (supposed overhaul of the starter motor was done there - looked like they just cleaned it as the brushes were completely worn after 5k kms; they used the wrong front exhaust pipe so that the protection bash brackets under engine seats 30mm too low, as the pipe is in its way; and who knows, what they did with the clutch kit, that they installed 10k km ago as I'm getting intermittent hard clutch/non disengagin problems) I had with syncro, that I bought in November, last year in Melbourne. With previous owner it was serviced at Volkswerk in Melbourne. I would never take it there... Beware Melburnians.

Best regards
Beau

--
Best regards, Scott Pitcher SPB Consulting

Great new Beau, certainly worth checking the clip is seated right and is  nice tight fit! Hope the rest went together fine.

Shame to hear about the other issues, hope you get your way through them over time

Richard

---In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, <beau.sagadin@...> wrote :

Hey guys.

GOOD NEWS.

Best regards
Beau
Hey guys.

Other side went smooth.
Finally my syncro is at the height I wanted.

Very proud :)

Thanks to all for help
Regards
Beau
Nice work Beau,

Needs bigger boots now to fill those arches better.

:-)

Skot

On 15/06/2017 8:15 PM, beau.sagadin@yahoo.com [Syncro_T3_Australia] wrote:

Hey guys.

Other side went smooth.
Finally my syncro is at the height I wanted.

Very proud :)

Thanks to all for help
Regards
Beau

--
Best regards, Scott Pitcher SPB Consulting

Great work, glad it the other side went better!

Richard