2010 has clicked over and the Syncro is now 25  years old.  The Syncro_T3_Australia group has been running since August 2004 and had its antecedant in a newsletter that I sent out beginning about February 2004.

Menbership of the group has fluctuated over the years with people coming and going.  The original objective of establishing a mutual technical support and advice for Australian & NZ Syncro owners has worked well over the years.  I thank all of the very active group members who have provided much of the support and advice (an the occasional flashes of humour) over these years.

The only negative in this time has come from anonymous traders creeping into the group and using it for free advertising to a captive market.  This happened because I had not in the past required that people joining the group establish their bona fides as Syncro owners who subscribed to the mutual technical support and advice objective.  This was brought to a total halt in August 2009 when all members were asked to renew their memberships and provide ascerainable bona fides. 

This solved the anonymous traders problem overnight.  It also resulted in a major clean up of the group through the eliminaion of many dead email addresses and not a few anonymous members.  The end result is a strong group of known members who are happy to use their real names.  It is a point of interest that the core members who have contributed so much over the years are the ones who have always used their real names and never found it necessary to hide behind a pseudonym.

We enter 2010 with an ageing vehicle, for which spares are becoming progressively harder to find and the mutual technical support and advice becomes ever more necessary.  Our unity is our best insurance for keeping our Syncros on the road and doing things that Syncros do better than any other vehicles.

Thank you all.

Les

Hi Les,

I am sure that I am not alone in appreciating your overly humble THANK YOU ALL  , it’s simple as that : Without you and your spirited influence there simply would not be a THANK YOU ALL .

Indeed, I am indebted to you and the group insofar that I never really knew what a great vehicle I was driving, to me it was a tool on a certified organic /biodynamic farm, fitting a bill of

necessary qualities perfectly. I will hang on to it as long as possible, maybe one day converting it to Lithium Cells....Who knows what’s round the corner? After all Tesla is pushing the range

of electric cars to over 400 km already.

But  this group has given me the urge to communicate, to stay in touch, with people who are likeminded, I have also learned to shut up and not criticise when other members have the knowledge.

And I have also learned to forgive Ken for the next 24 hrs, when waking in the morning  although his last try , sending me a barrage of photos of a rusted out RED TRISTAR has taken me a week

to forgive, thanks Ken for making me the person I am.

All in all LES   I wanted to thank YOU for being one of us .      hartmut  (my real name!)

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of syncroaustralia
Sent: Sunday, 3 January 2010 1:34 PM
To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] 2010

2010 has clicked over and the Syncro is now 25  years old.  The Syncro_T3_Australia group has been running since August 2004 and had its antecedant in a newsletter that I sent out beginning about February 2004.

Menbership of the group has fluctuated over the years with people coming and going.  The original objective of establishing a mutual technical support and advice for Australian & NZ Syncro owners has worked well over the years.  I thank all of the very active group members who have provided much of the support and advice (an the occasional flashes of humour) over these years.

The only negative in this time has come from anonymous traders creeping into the group and using it for free advertising to a captive market.  This happened because I had not in the past required that people joining the group establish their bona fides as Syncro owners who subscribed to the mutual technical support and advice objective.  This was brought to a total halt in August 2009 when all members were asked to renew their memberships and provide ascerainable bona fides. 

This solved the anonymous traders problem overnight.  It also resulted in a major clean up of the group through the eliminaion of many dead email addresses and not a few anonymous members.  The end result is a strong group of known members who are happy to use their real names.  It is a point of interest that the core members who have contributed so much over the years are the ones who have always used their real names and never found it necessary to hide behind a pseudonym.

We enter 2010 with an ageing vehicle, for which spares are becoming progressively harder to find and the mutual technical support and advice becomes ever more necessary.  Our unity is our best insurance for keeping our Syncros on the road and doing things that Syncros do better than any other vehicles.

Thank you all.

Les

Hi Les,
Firstly,i personally would like to show my appreciation for what you have done in having the foresight to start a Group like this and say a "BIG THANK YOU" to you for this.I have been a VW FAN from the age of 8 when i walked into the showroom of a Volkswagen Agent in my motherland of Ceylon and told the salesman that i wanted to buy the Black Beetle that was in the showroom at the time.He gave me a clip on the ear and told me to go away and come back when i "Grew UP" with the money in hand.Ever since that day in the year 1955 i have been a VW Fanatic and probably a biased one at that as i "Only Have Eyes" for all things Volkswagen.
I have had the priviledge of meeting you personally having been introduced to you by Andy Sinclair (to whom i am ever grateful) and i am glad that i did attend the DOTVW in 2008 with my Syncro as i would not have known about the Group,had i not attended.
Les,the official site is one that is "Priceless" as the information shared with fellow Syncronauts is information that is of Practical knowledge and not theory from a book.Under normal conditions one would have to "Pay" for this information if one were to take ones vehicle into an agent or to a mechanic,so from that point of view i would like all members to appreciate the groups interaction and the experiences each one has and shares.This would not have been possible without your initiative in the first place.So once again a very big thank you to you and my very best wishes as we move foward into the next decade of enjoying "Our Unique Vehicles".Looks like there is a 25 year celebration in Europe next year and i was wondering whether the Group are planning a trip to this event.If anyone is i would like to know about it and if it eventuates would like to be part of it.
Another suggestion with all the information that is collected from each ones experiences,perhaps is to put together a Book or a DVD or CD so that we could purchase this through the Group and have ready access to all the Do's & Dont's of Syncro ownership.Give it some thought.
Shall close now with my sincere thanks to you and the Group for the wealth of information derived in the short time i have been with the Group.
Cheers,
Sincerely,
Everard Hoffman  

--- On Sun, 3/1/10, syncroaustralia <leslieharris@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

Received: Sunday, 3 January, 2010, 2:33 AM

Thank you all.
Les

See what's on at the movies in your area. Find out now.
Hartmut,
This is your conscience speaking.
What you saw is what could well be!
As your conscience, I am obligated to keep you on track re Oz Tristar restore, as declared at Sackville.
Your conscience will not accept anything less. :-)

Your minder.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, 3 January 2010 4:03 PM
Subject: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] 2010

[The entire original message is not included]
Yes, thanks for your initiative in setting the group up, and your hard work in keeping it running, Les. I doubt that I would be game to own and run a Syncro, given the inherent challenges, were it not for the supportive community you facilitate, and the invaluable advice offered by members.

Francesca.

On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 5:17 PM, Everard Hoffman <everardhoffman@yahoo.com> wrote:

Hi Les,
Firstly,i personally would like to show my appreciation for what you have done in having the foresight to start a Group like this and say a "BIG THANK YOU" to you for this.I have been a VW FAN from the age of 8 when i walked into the showroom of a Volkswagen Agent in my motherland of Ceylon and told the salesman that i wanted to buy the Black Beetle that was in the showroom at the time.He gave me a clip on the ear and told me to go away and come back when i "Grew UP" with the money in hand.Ever since that day in the year 1955 i have been a VW Fanatic and probably a biased one at that as i "Only Have Eyes" for all things Volkswagen.
I have had the priviledge of meeting you personally having been introduced to you by Andy Sinclair (to whom i am ever grateful) and i am glad that i did attend the DOTVW in 2008 with my Syncro as i would not have known about the Group,had i not attended.
Les,the official site is one that is "Priceless" as the information shared with fellow Syncronauts is information that is of Practical knowledge and not theory from a book.Under normal conditions one would have to "Pay" for this information if one were to take ones vehicle into an agent or to a mechanic,so from that point of view i would like all members to appreciate the groups interaction and the experiences each one has and shares.This would not have been possible without your initiative in the first place.So once again a very big thank you to you and my very best wishes as we move foward into the next decade of enjoying "Our Unique Vehicles".Looks like there is a 25 year celebration in Europe next year and i was wondering whether the Group are planning a trip to this event.If anyone is i would like to know about it and if it eventuates would like to be part of it.
Another suggestion with all the information that is collected from each ones experiences,perhaps is to put together a Book or a DVD or CD so that we could purchase this through the Group and have ready access to all the Do's & Dont's of Syncro ownership.Give it some thought.
Shall close now with my sincere thanks to you and the Group for the wealth of information derived in the short time i have been with the Group.
Cheers,
Sincerely,
Everard Hoffman

--- On Sun, 3/1/10, syncroaustralia <leslieharris@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

Received: Sunday, 3 January, 2010, 2:33 AM

2010 has clicked over and the Syncro is now 25 years old. The Syncro_T3_Australia group has been running since August 2004 and had its antecedant in a newsletter that I sent out beginning about February 2004.
Menbership of the group has fluctuated over the years with people coming and going. The original objective of establishing a mutual technical support and advice for Australian & NZ Syncro owners has worked well over the years. I thank all of the very active group members who have provided much of the support and advice (an the occasional flashes of humour) over these years.
The only negative in this time has come from anonymous traders creeping into the group and using it for free advertising to a captive market. This happened because I had not in the past required that people joining the group establish their bona fides as Syncro owners who subscribed to the mutual technical support and advice objective. This was brought to a total halt in August 2009 when all members were asked to renew their memberships and provide ascerainable bona fides.
This solved the anonymous traders problem overnight. It also resulted in a major clean up of the group through the eliminaion of many dead email addresses and not a few anonymous members. The end result is a strong group of known members who are happy to use their real names. It is a point of interest that the core members who have contributed so much over the years are the ones who have always used their real names and never found it necessary to hide behind a pseudonym.
We enter 2010 with an ageing vehicle, for which spares are becoming progressively harder to find and the mutual technical support and advice becomes ever more necessary. Our unity is our best insurance for keeping our Syncros on the road and doing things that Syncros do better than any other vehicles.
Thank you all.
Les

See what's on at the movies in your area. Find out now.