Unis,poly bush and balancing

Gday Phil and all,it seems that Hardy Spicer are the go for buying the correct uni-joints,but does anyone know an establishment for professional drive shaft servicing.Do hardy Spicer do the whole lot??Is there someone in Sydney that has experience that I can use???I have had driveshafts modified before but,do I go to someone who when asked said,"whats a Syncro".
Speak to Hardy Spicer at Moorebank as I think that they can do the lot.

Phill

> bencroft96 <bencroft96@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Gday Phil and all,it seems that Hardy Spicer are the go for buying the
> correct uni-joints,but does anyone know an establishment for
> professional drive shaft servicing.Do hardy Spicer do the whole lot??Is
> there someone in Sydney that has experience that I can use???I have had
> driveshafts modified before but,do I go to someone who when asked
> said,"whats a Syncro".
Thanks Phil

From: "plander@optusnet.com.au" <plander@optusnet.com.au>
To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sat, November 13, 2010 5:39:58 AM
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Unis,poly bush and balancing

Speak to Hardy Spicer at Moorebank as I think that they can do the lot.

Phill

> bencroft96 <bencroft96@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Gday Phil and all,it seems that Hardy Spicer are the go for buying the
> correct uni-joints,but does anyone know an establishment for
> professional drive shaft servicing.Do hardy Spicer do the whole lot??Is
> there someone in Sydney that has experience that I can use???I have had
> driveshafts modified before but,do I go to someone who when asked
> said,"whats a Syncro".

Ben, I posted about a year back with the part numbers for the unis from hardy's. After having gone through this whole process I don't think I would do it again. A pair of unis is about $300 (parts only). The bushing will cost between $50 to $150 depending on which method you use. Then labour to fit the unis say $100 and $50 balancing. Mine had a bent tube which cost a hundred to straighten. So basically if you are unlucky you could spend over $600 dollars on a shaft that has weak ears, small and expensive unis and is prone to vibrations. The guy I use in Melbourne quoted $612 to build a shaft using all new V6 commodore parts including a slip joint, unfortunately I went to him after buying and installing new unis. Just wanted to share the experiance before you get beyond the point of no return as I did. Greg E
p.s. my guy had a theory that the reason vibrations are so prevalent in these cars is that the fixed length of the original shaft requires the diff and trans to move to compensate. I would add to that most of the new rwd cars I see have slip joints.

--- On Sat, 13/11/10, bencroft96 <bencroft96@yahoo.com> wrote:

Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Unis,poly bush and balancing
Received: Saturday, 13 November, 2010, 12:58 AM

Gday Phil and all,it seems that Hardy Spicer are the go for buying the correct uni-joints,but does anyone know an establishment for professional drive shaft servicing.Do hardy Spicer do the whole lot??Is there someone in Sydney that has experience that I can use???I have had driveshafts modified before but,do I go to someone who when asked said,"whats a Syncro".

I think that VAG made a wrong decision by not incorporating a slip joint in the shaft.  Whilst the positions of the gearbox and the front diff are nominally fixed, there is still relative movement between them and any uneven compression of the mounting bushes will exacerbate this.

Greg’s advice is sound engineering; use existing parts and a slip joint.  If anyone does this, please post the results back to the group.

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of greg esposito
Sent: 13 November 2010 09:13

The guy I use in Melbourne quoted $612 to build a shaft using all new V6 Commodore parts including a slip joint, unfortunately I went to him after buying and installing new unis. Just wanted to share the experience before you get beyond the point of no return as I did.

Greg E

p.s. my guy had a theory that the reason vibrations are so prevalent in these cars is that the fixed length of the original shaft requires the diff and trans to move to compensate. I would add to that most of the new RWD cars I see have slip joints.

Greg,

That information should be added to the workshop/suppliers list.  If you can provide the details, I will add it.

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of greg esposito

The guy I use in Melbourne quoted $612 to build a shaft using all new V6 commodore parts including a slip joint, unfortunately I went to him after buying and installing new unis. Just wanted to share the experience before you get beyond the point of no return as I did.

Greg E

Thankyou Greg,something to definatly think about,problem is,I am running out of time.

Sent: Sat, November 13, 2010 9:12:59 AM

Ben, I posted about a year back with the part numbers for the unis from hardy's. After having gone through this whole process I don't think I would do it again. A pair of unis is about $300 (parts only). The bushing will cost between $50 to $150 depending on which method you use. Then labour to fit the unis say $100 and $50 balancing. Mine had a bent tube which cost a hundred to straighten. So basically if you are unlucky you could spend over $600 dollars on a shaft that has weak ears, small and expensive unis and is prone to vibrations. The guy I use in Melbourne quoted $612 to build a shaft using all new V6 commodore parts including a slip joint, unfortunately I went to him after buying and installing new unis. Just wanted to share the experiance before you get beyond the point of no return as I did. Greg E
p.s. my guy had a theory that the reason vibrations are so prevalent in these cars is that the fixed length of the original shaft requires the diff and trans to move to compensate. I would add to that most of the new rwd cars I see have slip joints.

Hey Les, The company is Ken Hastings balancing services, 43 Chifley Dve Preston Vic 3072. I have been using them for 20 years and the company has transfered from father to son in that time. He thought V6 commodore stuff was the right size as well as strong, common and cheap. What he showed me looked very much like the shafts being sold in the US. Greg E

--- On Sat, 13/11/10, Les Harris <leslieharris@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

Subject: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Unis,poly bush and balancing
Received: Saturday, 13 November, 2010, 9:47 AM

Greg,

That information should be added to the workshop/suppliers list.  If you can provide the details, I will add it.

Les

The guy I use in Melbourne quoted $612 to build a shaft using all new V6 commodore parts including a slip joint, unfortunately I went to him after buying and installing new unis. Just wanted to share the experience before you get beyond the point of no return as I did.

Greg E

You could throw in those PTO joints to get through one season. At $20 each they are not a big investment. Greg E

--- On Sat, 13/11/10, Ben Croft <bencroft96@yahoo.com> wrote:

Received: Saturday, 13 November, 2010, 2:05 PM

Thankyou Greg,something to definatly think about,problem is,I am running out of time.

Sent: Sat, November 13, 2010 9:12:59 AM

Hi,
We had hasting do one up for use using V8 commodore stuff I thought.  It has worked well never looked at it since.  Will go back a see if it was the V6 or V8 one.  The whole assembly balanced up like new and no more vibrations.

Cheers,

Michael Roberts

Sent: Sat, November 13, 2010 4:01:21 PM
 or V8

Hey Les, The company is Ken Hastings balancing services, 43 Chifley Dve Preston Vic 3072. I have been using them for 20 years and the company has transfered from father to son in that time. He thought V6 commodore stuff was the right size as well as strong, common and cheap. What he showed me looked very much like the shafts being sold in the US. Greg E

--- On Sat, 13/11/10, Les Harris <leslieharris@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

Received: Saturday, 13 November, 2010, 9:47 AM

Greg,

Les

Greg E

Gday Phil,Greg,Les,Micheal and all.
Today I removed my driveshaft again chasing one of two vibrations.One is definatly the driveshaft,as it isnt there when the shaft is removed.The other vibration is there with shaft in/out or AWD ingaged or disengaged.
On close inspection of the shaft,this time,I found the front uni to be chopped out.The rear,seemed to be OK but,the rear yoke that the rear uni sits in,is worn and the uni is moving in the yoke,(to the circlip).
I took the driveshaft to Hardy Spicer and learnt that I had two options.The first,repair the worn yoke by,centre punching a knurl into the yoke were the uni is held in by circlip,replacing the $250 unis and poly-bush and straightening and balancing the shaft using a 22year old dampner. Or..
Making up a new shaft to the same length and similar weight,with new yokes and flanges,with a slip yoke and bigger,stronger and cheaper unis.
I went with option two.I pick it up Thursday,will fit it next Monday.Will report back.

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, Michael Roberts <type500@...> wrote:
>
> Hi,
> We had hasting do one up for use using V8 commodore stuff I thought. It has
> worked well never looked at it since. Will go back a see if it was the V6 or V8
> one. The whole assembly balanced up like new and no more vibrations.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Michael Roberts
>
>
>
>
>
> ________________________________
> From: greg esposito <gregespo73@...>
> To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> Sent: Sat, November 13, 2010 4:01:21 PM
> Subject: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Unis,poly bush and balancing
> Â or V8
> Â
> Hey Les, The company is Ken Hastings balancing services, 43 Chifley Dve Preston
> Vic 3072. I have been using them for 20 years and the company has transfered
> from father to son in that time. He thought V6 commodore stuff was the right
> size as well as strong, common and cheap. What he showed me looked very much
> like the shafts being sold in the US. Greg E
>
> --- On Sat, 13/11/10, Les Harris <leslieharris@...> wrote:
>
>
> >From: Les Harris <leslieharris@...>
> >Subject: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Unis,poly bush and balancing
> >To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> >Received: Saturday, 13 November, 2010, 9:47 AM
> >
> >
> >Â
> >Greg,
> >That information should be added to the workshop/suppliers list. If you can
> >provide the details, I will add it.
> >Les
> >
> ________________________________
>
> >From:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:
> >Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of greg esposito
> >Sent: 13 November 2010 09:13
> >To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> >Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Unis,poly bush and balancing
> >Â
> >Â
> >The guy I use in Melbourne quoted $612 to build a shaft using all new V6
> >commodore parts including a slip joint, unfortunately I went to him after buying
> >and installing new unis. Just wanted to share the experience before you get
> >beyond the point of no return as I did.
> >
> >Â
> >Greg E
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >Â
> Â
>

Ben,

What was the Option 2 cost?

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of bencroft96
Sent: 15 November 2010 21:48
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Unis, poly bush and balancing

Gday Phil,Greg,Les,Micheal and all.
Today I removed my driveshaft again chasing one of two vibrations.One is definatly the driveshaft,as it isnt there when the shaft is removed.The other vibration is there with shaft in/out or AWD ingaged or disengaged.
On close inspection of the shaft,this time,I found the front uni to be chopped out.The rear,seemed to be OK but,the rear yoke that the rear uni sits in,is worn and the uni is moving in the yoke,(to the circlip).
I took the driveshaft to Hardy Spicer and learnt that I had two options.The first,repair the worn yoke by,centre punching a knurl into the yoke were the uni is held in by circlip,replacing the $250 unis and poly-bush and straightening and balancing the shaft using a 22year old dampner. Or..
Making up a new shaft to the same length and similar weight,with new yokes and flanges,with a slip yoke and bigger,stronger and cheaper unis.
I went with option two.I pick it up Thursday,will fit it next Monday.Will report back.

Gday Les,how are you?Option one was $670.Option two $800.

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "Les Harris" <leslieharris@...> wrote:
>
> Ben,
>
> What was the Option 2 cost?
>
> Les
>
>
>
> _____
>
> From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of bencroft96
> Sent: 15 November 2010 21:48
> To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Unis, poly bush and balancing
>
>
>
>
>
> Gday Phil,Greg,Les,Micheal and all.
> Today I removed my driveshaft again chasing one of two vibrations.One is
> definatly the driveshaft,as it isnt there when the shaft is removed.The
> other vibration is there with shaft in/out or AWD ingaged or disengaged.
> On close inspection of the shaft,this time,I found the front uni to be
> chopped out.The rear,seemed to be OK but,the rear yoke that the rear uni
> sits in,is worn and the uni is moving in the yoke,(to the circlip).
> I took the driveshaft to Hardy Spicer and learnt that I had two options.The
> first,repair the worn yoke by,centre punching a knurl into the yoke were the
> uni is held in by circlip,replacing the $250 unis and poly-bush and
> straightening and balancing the shaft using a 22year old dampner. Or..
> Making up a new shaft to the same length and similar weight,with new yokes
> and flanges,with a slip yoke and bigger,stronger and cheaper unis.
> I went with option two.I pick it up Thursday,will fit it next Monday.Will
> report back.
>
Hi Ben,

Just wondering if you've fitted the new shaft up yet? I'm in the same boat - with the rear yoke getting a little sloppy and vibration becoming more annoying, and would perhaps be keen on having a second one made up and shipped (to Perth..) if you find its a good replacement? We do have Hardy Spicer here as well, but I spoke to them about it, and they suggested it could cost me more than $1600 to get a new shaft made up..

Cheers, Sam.

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "bencroft96" <bencroft96@...> wrote:
>
> Gday Les,how are you?Option one was $670.Option two $800.
>
> --- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "Les Harris" <leslieharris@> wrote:
> >
> > Ben,
> >
> > What was the Option 2 cost?
> >
> > Les
> >
> >
> >
> > _____
> >
> > From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> > [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of bencroft96
> > Sent: 15 November 2010 21:48
> > To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> > Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Unis, poly bush and balancing
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Gday Phil,Greg,Les,Micheal and all.
> > Today I removed my driveshaft again chasing one of two vibrations.One is
> > definatly the driveshaft,as it isnt there when the shaft is removed.The
> > other vibration is there with shaft in/out or AWD ingaged or disengaged.
> > On close inspection of the shaft,this time,I found the front uni to be
> > chopped out.The rear,seemed to be OK but,the rear yoke that the rear uni
> > sits in,is worn and the uni is moving in the yoke,(to the circlip).
> > I took the driveshaft to Hardy Spicer and learnt that I had two options.The
> > first,repair the worn yoke by,centre punching a knurl into the yoke were the
> > uni is held in by circlip,replacing the $250 unis and poly-bush and
> > straightening and balancing the shaft using a 22year old dampner. Or..
> > Making up a new shaft to the same length and similar weight,with new yokes
> > and flanges,with a slip yoke and bigger,stronger and cheaper unis.
> > I went with option two.I pick it up Thursday,will fit it next Monday.Will
> > report back.
> >
>
Gday Sam,will fit the new shaft on Monday and will report.It looks like the ducks nuts.

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "erv504@..." <erv504@...> wrote:
>
> Hi Ben,
>
> Just wondering if you've fitted the new shaft up yet? I'm in the same boat - with the rear yoke getting a little sloppy and vibration becoming more annoying, and would perhaps be keen on having a second one made up and shipped (to Perth..) if you find its a good replacement? We do have Hardy Spicer here as well, but I spoke to them about it, and they suggested it could cost me more than $1600 to get a new shaft made up..
>
> Cheers, Sam.
>
> --- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "bencroft96" <bencroft96@> wrote:
> >
> > Gday Les,how are you?Option one was $670.Option two $800.
> >
> > --- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "Les Harris" <leslieharris@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Ben,
> > >
> > > What was the Option 2 cost?
> > >
> > > Les
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > _____
> > >
> > > From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> > > [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of bencroft96
> > > Sent: 15 November 2010 21:48
> > > To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> > > Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Unis, poly bush and balancing
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Gday Phil,Greg,Les,Micheal and all.
> > > Today I removed my driveshaft again chasing one of two vibrations.One is
> > > definatly the driveshaft,as it isnt there when the shaft is removed.The
> > > other vibration is there with shaft in/out or AWD ingaged or disengaged.
> > > On close inspection of the shaft,this time,I found the front uni to be
> > > chopped out.The rear,seemed to be OK but,the rear yoke that the rear uni
> > > sits in,is worn and the uni is moving in the yoke,(to the circlip).
> > > I took the driveshaft to Hardy Spicer and learnt that I had two options.The
> > > first,repair the worn yoke by,centre punching a knurl into the yoke were the
> > > uni is held in by circlip,replacing the $250 unis and poly-bush and
> > > straightening and balancing the shaft using a 22year old dampner. Or..
> > > Making up a new shaft to the same length and similar weight,with new yokes
> > > and flanges,with a slip yoke and bigger,stronger and cheaper unis.
> > > I went with option two.I pick it up Thursday,will fit it next Monday.Will
> > > report back.
> > >
> >
>