WORK THIS ONE OUT ~ ! ~ ! ~ !!!!

Well, work this one out!!!!

Last Friday afternoon, I was at Tomingley, about 50K south of Dubbo, en route from Melbourne to Uralla in NSW.

I stopped at a servo, fuelled up, put the key in the starter switch, the engine cranked quite smartly – and would not fire, no matter what!!

Various throttle openings did not produce any results.  As a precaution, I disconnected the battery in case the ECU has a reversion default function.  No start.

Because I was in the process of moving house from Melbourne to Uralla, everything was already quite complicated.  Because I have a comprehensively stuffed back, the complications were accordingly greater; one of the main issues with my back is that it is very difficult to stand behind the vehicle, bend double and reach into the engine bay.  (At age 82, absolutely nothing works like it did at age 28!!)

Yes, I carry Bentleys. A multimeter and Nurofen Plus but I had a lot on my mind, with the main priority being to get to Uralla, so I had it trailered to Uralla, 500k away and it cost a bundle!!

At this point, the most likely culprit looked like the Hall sender.

At the Uralla end, the trailer was a bit nose down and getting it off the trailer bed looked like being a problem but, with a full battery and G gear, I ‘drove’ it off easily on the starter motor.

The trailer man packed up, got paid (ouch!!) and departed.  Since I wanted to get the Syncro back about thirty feet from where it was dropped, I selected reverse and began to drive it back on the starter motor. 

I got about ten feet when the engine fired!!

I kicked it out of gear but it died.  Hit the starter, gave it some pedal and, after a few coughs, it ran and I was able to move the Syncro to where I wanted it.

I left it overnight; this morning, I put the key in the switch, turned it (no pedal) and it started quite normally.  I made to reverse out, stalled it – and could not get a restart.

Now if anyone out there has got the faintest idea what is going on, I really would like to hear from you!!!

Still could well be a hall sender Les.

I could "back-probe" mine with the multimeter and it would start but when stopped again it would not start again.

I have a different engine to you but he principle is the same.

The coil stops "collapsing" and the engine will no longer fire - that's what the NRMA man told me.

Have you tried a new hall sender?

Cheers,

Skot

On 3/09/2014 4:35 PM, 'Les Harris' leslieharris@optusnet.com.au [Syncro_T3_Australia] wrote:

Last Friday afternoon, I was at Tomingley, about 50K south of Dubbo, en route from Melbourne to Uralla in NSW.

I stopped at a servo, fuelled up, put the key in the starter switch, the engine cranked quite smartly – and would not fire, no matter what!!

Various throttle openings did not produce any results.  As a precaution, I disconnected the battery in case the ECU has a reversion default function.  No start.

Because I was in the process of moving house from Melbourne to Uralla, everything was already quite complicated.  Because I have a comprehensively stuffed back, the complications were accordingly greater; one of the main issues with my back is that it is very difficult to stand behind the vehicle, bend double and reach into the engine bay.  (At age 82, absolutely nothing works like it did at age 28!!)

Yes, I carry Bentleys. A multimeter and Nurofen Plus but I had a lot on my mind, with the main priority being to get to Uralla, so I had it trailered to Uralla, 500k away and it cost a bundle!!

At the Uralla end, the trailer was a bit nose down and getting it off the trailer bed looked like being a problem but, with a full battery and G gear, I ‘drove’ it off easily on the starter motor.

The trailer man packed up, got paid (ouch!!) and departed.  Since I wanted to get the Syncro back about thirty feet from where it was dropped, I selected reverse and began to drive it back on the starter motor. 

I kicked it out of gear but it died.  Hit the starter, gave it some pedal and, after a few coughs, it ran and I was able to move the Syncro to where I wanted it.

I left it overnight; this morning, I put the key in the switch, turned it (no pedal) and it started quite normally.  I made to reverse out, stalled it – and could not get a restart.

Now if anyone out there has got the faintest idea what is going on, I really would like to hear from you!!!

Hey Les One of those VW trips you never forget.
First I would check if it fires up with a cap full of fuel down the plenum after pulling the rubber back and giving it a dash, Then you know if its just fuel supply.
Could be you were out of fuel and it got an airlock I had a similar experience in a T3 and they can be troublesome to prime, Twice I had to just add fuel to the plenum till it cleared just could not draw it through.
Probably not a test for the purists with the fire risk etc but I had no hint of a backfire.
If you had migrated just a bit further to SEQ I would be round with a six pack to catch up and check it out.
Regards Pete

On Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 4:35 PM, 'Les Harris' leslieharris@optusnet.com.au [Syncro_T3_Australia] <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Various throttle openings did not produce any results. As a precaution, I disconnected the battery in case the ECU has a reversion default function. No start.

Because I was in the process of moving house from Melbourne to Uralla, everything was already quite complicated. Because I have a comprehensively stuffed back, the complications were accordingly greater; one of the main issues with my back is that it is very difficult to stand behind the vehicle, bend double and reach into the engine bay. (At age 82, absolutely nothing works like it did at age 28!!)

The trailer man packed up, got paid (ouch!!) and departed. Since I wanted to get the Syncro back about thirty feet from where it was dropped, I selected reverse and began to drive it back on the starter motor.

I kicked it out of gear but it died. Hit the starter, gave it some pedal and, after a few coughs, it ran and I was able to move the Syncro to where I wanted it.

I left it overnight; this morning, I put the key in the switch, turned it (no pedal) and it started quite normally. I made to reverse out, stalled it – and could not get a restart.

Les you really need to check for spark first. If you have no spark work your your way back. It could be the hall sensor but it could also be : rotor button, dist cap, coil lead, coil, igniter, ecu, relay etc etc. Is the bus at a mechanics now?

From: "'Les Harris' leslieharris@optusnet.com.au [Syncro_T3_Australia]" <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com>
To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Cc: syncro@gmail.com; Stuart Stirling <sds@mweb.co.za>
Sent: Wednesday, 3 September 2014, 16:35
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] WORK THIS ONE OUT ~ ! ~ ! ~ !!!!

Hi Les,
One easy test to see if it allows the engine to fire up and run (albeit rich) or not is to disconnect the heavy green cable at its inline connector situated in the engine bay low down near the left-side rear corner. No harm eliminating this from your list of things to try, to see if it makes a DIFFERENCE to engine functionality.
Cheers.
ken

CC: syncro@gmail.com; sds@mweb.co.za
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2014 16:35:49 +1000

Les, Sorry,
I left out reference to the heavy green cable of the oxygen sensor.
Ken

To: syncro_t3_australia@yahoogroups.com
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2014 19:23:01 +1000
Subject: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] WORK THIS ONE OUT ~ ! ~ ! ~ !!!!

Hi Les,
One easy test to see if it allows the engine to fire up and run (albeit rich) or not is to disconnect the heavy green cable at its inline connector situated in the engine bay low down near the left-side rear corner. No harm eliminating this from your list of things to try, to see if it makes a DIFFERENCE to engine functionality.
Cheers.
ken

CC: syncro@gmail.com; sds@mweb.co.za
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2014 16:35:49 +1000

Greg,

No it is in Uralla with me and there is unlikely to be a any clued-up mechanics within a very long way!!

Hartmut,

I would like to take up your offer of that distributor.  It will be a very good starting point.  If you could put it on the next pack horse heading this way, it would be the most logical starting point.  Address = 14 John Street , Uralla 2358.   I will arrange suitable reimbursement ASAP.

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com ]
Sent: 03 September 2014 18:50
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] WORK THIS ONE OUT ~ ! ~ ! ~ !!!!

Les you really need to check for spark first. If you have no spark work your your way back. It could be the hall sensor but it could also be : rotor button, dist cap, coil lead, coil, igniter, ecu, relay etc etc. Is the bus at a mechanics now?

Ken,

Thanks.  I will add that to the growing list!

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com ]
Sent: 03 September 2014 19:26
To: _T3_Australia forum Syncro

Les, Sorry,

Ken

_

--------------------------------------------
On Wed, 3/9/14, 'Les Harris' leslieharris@optusnet.com.au [Syncro_T3_Australia] <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Received: Wednesday, 3 September, 2014, 7:35 PM

Hi Les, I had a similar problem at Old Bar about a year ago, i.e. stalled on a cold engine. But if I could somehow maintain it to a certain operating temperature it went well. Nobody could work it out. Had to get it trucked to Melbourne. I had 2 T3's and we swapped ECU's from one vehicle to another. Straight away the symptoms swapped from one car to the other. Now I carry a spare ECU.
I hope this helps. Gerald

Greg,

No
it is in Uralla with me and there is
unlikely to be a any clued-up mechanics within a very long
way!!

Hartmut,

I
would like to take up your offer of
that distributor. It will be a very good starting point.
If you could put it
on the next pack horse heading this way, it would be the
most logical starting
point. Address = 14 John Street ,
Uralla 2358. I will arrange suitable reimbursement
ASAP.

Les

Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:
Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com ]

Sent: 03
September 2014 18:50

To:
Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com

Subject: Re:
[Syncro_T3_Australia]
WORK THIS ONE OUT ~ ! ~ ! ~ !!!!

Les
you really need to check for spark first. If you have no
spark work your your
way back. It could be the hall sensor but it could also be :
rotor button, dist
cap, coil lead, coil, igniter, ecu, relay etc etc. Is the
bus at a mechanics
now?

#yiv4857240334 #yiv4857240334 --
#yiv4857240334ygrp-mkp {
border:1px solid #d8d8d8;font-family:Arial;margin:10px
0;padding:0 10px;}

#yiv4857240334 #yiv4857240334ygrp-mkp hr {
border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}

#yiv4857240334 #yiv4857240334ygrp-mkp #yiv4857240334hd {
color:#628c2a;font-size:85%;font-weight:700;line-height:122%;margin:10px
0;}

#yiv4857240334 #yiv4857240334ygrp-mkp #yiv4857240334ads {
margin-bottom:10px;}

#yiv4857240334 #yiv4857240334ygrp-mkp .yiv4857240334ad {
padding:0 0;}

#yiv4857240334 #yiv4857240334ygrp-mkp .yiv4857240334ad p {
margin:0;}

#yiv4857240334 #yiv4857240334ygrp-mkp .yiv4857240334ad a {
color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
#yiv4857240334 #yiv4857240334ygrp-sponsor
#yiv4857240334ygrp-lc {
font-family:Arial;}

#yiv4857240334ygrp-lc #yiv4857240334hd {
margin:10px
0px;font-weight:700;font-size:78%;line-height:122%;}

#yiv4857240334ygrp-lc .yiv4857240334ad {
margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}

#yiv4857240334 #yiv4857240334actions {
font-family:Verdana;font-size:11px;padding:10px 0;}

#yiv4857240334 #yiv4857240334activity {
background-color:#e0ecee;float:left;font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;padding:10px;}

#yiv4857240334 #yiv4857240334activity span {
font-weight:700;}

#yiv4857240334 #yiv4857240334activity span:first-child {
text-transform:uppercase;}

#yiv4857240334 #yiv4857240334activity span a {
color:#5085b6;text-decoration:none;}

#yiv4857240334 #yiv4857240334activity span span {
color:#ff7900;}

#yiv4857240334 #yiv4857240334activity span
.yiv4857240334underline {
text-decoration:underline;}

#yiv4857240334 .yiv4857240334attach {
clear:both;display:table;font-family:Arial;font-size:12px;padding:10px
0;width:400px;}

#yiv4857240334 .yiv4857240334attach div a {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv4857240334 .yiv4857240334attach img {
border:none;padding-right:5px;}

#yiv4857240334 .yiv4857240334attach label {
display:block;margin-bottom:5px;}

#yiv4857240334 .yiv4857240334attach label a {

#yiv4857240334 blockquote {
margin:0 0 0 4px;}

#yiv4857240334 .yiv4857240334bold {
font-family:Arial;font-size:13px;font-weight:700;}

#yiv4857240334 .yiv4857240334bold a {

#yiv4857240334 dd.yiv4857240334last p a {
font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;}

#yiv4857240334 dd.yiv4857240334last p span {
margin-right:10px;font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;}

#yiv4857240334 dd.yiv4857240334last p
span.yiv4857240334yshortcuts {
margin-right:0;}

#yiv4857240334 div.yiv4857240334attach-table div div a {

#yiv4857240334 div.yiv4857240334attach-table {
width:400px;}

#yiv4857240334 div.yiv4857240334file-title a, #yiv4857240334
div.yiv4857240334file-title a:active, #yiv4857240334
div.yiv4857240334file-title a:hover, #yiv4857240334
div.yiv4857240334file-title a:visited {

#yiv4857240334 div.yiv4857240334photo-title a,
#yiv4857240334 div.yiv4857240334photo-title a:active,
#yiv4857240334 div.yiv4857240334photo-title a:hover,
#yiv4857240334 div.yiv4857240334photo-title a:visited {

#yiv4857240334 div#yiv4857240334ygrp-mlmsg
#yiv4857240334ygrp-msg p a span.yiv4857240334yshortcuts {
font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;font-weight:normal;}

#yiv4857240334 .yiv4857240334green {
color:#628c2a;}

#yiv4857240334 .yiv4857240334MsoNormal {
margin:0 0 0 0;}

#yiv4857240334 o {
font-size:0;}

#yiv4857240334 #yiv4857240334photos div {
float:left;width:72px;}

#yiv4857240334 #yiv4857240334photos div div {
border:1px solid
#666666;height:62px;overflow:hidden;width:62px;}

#yiv4857240334 #yiv4857240334photos div label {
color:#666666;font-size:10px;overflow:hidden;text-align:center;white-space:nowrap;width:64px;}

#yiv4857240334 #yiv4857240334reco-category {
font-size:77%;}

#yiv4857240334 #yiv4857240334reco-desc {
font-size:77%;}

#yiv4857240334 .yiv4857240334replbq {
margin:4px;}

#yiv4857240334 #yiv4857240334ygrp-actbar div a:first-child {
margin-right:2px;padding-right:5px;}

#yiv4857240334 #yiv4857240334ygrp-mlmsg {
font-size:13px;font-family:Arial, helvetica, clean,
sans-serif;}

#yiv4857240334 #yiv4857240334ygrp-mlmsg table {
font-size:inherit;font:100%;}

#yiv4857240334 #yiv4857240334ygrp-mlmsg select,
#yiv4857240334 input, #yiv4857240334 textarea {
font:99% Arial, Helvetica, clean, sans-serif;}

#yiv4857240334 #yiv4857240334ygrp-mlmsg pre, #yiv4857240334
code {
font:115% monospace;}

#yiv4857240334 #yiv4857240334ygrp-mlmsg * {
line-height:1.22em;}

#yiv4857240334 #yiv4857240334ygrp-mlmsg #yiv4857240334logo {
padding-bottom:10px;}

#yiv4857240334 #yiv4857240334ygrp-msg p a {
font-family:Verdana;}

#yiv4857240334 #yiv4857240334ygrp-msg
p#yiv4857240334attach-count span {
color:#1E66AE;font-weight:700;}

#yiv4857240334 #yiv4857240334ygrp-reco
#yiv4857240334reco-head {
color:#ff7900;font-weight:700;}

#yiv4857240334 #yiv4857240334ygrp-reco {
margin-bottom:20px;padding:0px;}

#yiv4857240334 #yiv4857240334ygrp-sponsor #yiv4857240334ov
li a {
font-size:130%;text-decoration:none;}

li {
font-size:77%;list-style-type:square;padding:6px 0;}

ul {
margin:0;padding:0 0 0 8px;}

#yiv4857240334 #yiv4857240334ygrp-text {
font-family:Georgia;}

#yiv4857240334 #yiv4857240334ygrp-text p {
margin:0 0 1em 0;}

#yiv4857240334 #yiv4857240334ygrp-text tt {
font-size:120%;}

#yiv4857240334 #yiv4857240334ygrp-vital ul li:last-child {
border-right:none !important;
}
#yiv4857240334
Les. When you settle into nsw and presumably transfer to nsw rego consider nrma premium care roadside assist. For about $160 per year you get about $3000 worth of towing, car hire, and accommodation if you break down. Living out in the sticks in 25 year old vehicle its great insurance. Your not that far from expert help. Ron schmit in kempsey is e best syncro gearbox man in the country and Luke Pell in bowraville is worth a call for help. Bill
Hi Les,
Welcome to NSW ! Will post it tomorrow will include some other items like petrol pump etc.
Hartmut

Sent from my iPad

On 3 Sep 2014, at 7:36 pm, "'Les Harris' leslieharris@optusnet.com.au [Syncro_T3_Australia]" <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Greg,

No it is in Uralla with me and there is unlikely to be a any clued-up mechanics withinl a very long way!!

Hartmut,

I would like to take up your offer of that distributor.  It will be a very good starting point.  If you could put it on the next pack horse heading this way, it would be the most logical starting point.  Address = 14 John Street , Uralla 2358.   I will arrange suitable reimbursement ASAP.

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com ]

I agree with Greg, Les. Start at the beginning, and work your way through in a logical sequence. Might save you a heap of cash in the end if you find it is just a simple problem.

Try having someone kick over the engine at night, while you watch. It's amazing the short-circuits and stray electrical tracking you can identify in the dark. Cheers, Roger Beetle.

Hi Les,
If anyone deserves help to get you going its you. Pay more attention to better mechanical brains than mine but I also experienced a similar problem with my T3 some years back where like you I had driven to a location with no hint of a problem ,went to a meeting and then could not get it started despite the engine readily turning over on the key. RACV could not find  a fault and had it towed to my mechanic whilst I was harangued by the flat bed driver on why I should not have bought a European vehicle. The mechanic went straight for the hall sender but that checked out ok. He finally found a slight crack in the low tension lead to the distributor plus the bolt that held it was tight on the outside but 1 of the 2 nuts inside either side of the Bakelite insulation was just loose enough to move enough to lose contact. A new wire and tightening both nuts fixed the problem for the subsequent years until I sold it. No cost for parts big labour cost tracking it down. Might be worth a try as if it works it could be a cheap fix to offset some of those towing charges. I've got my fingers crossed.
Good luck 
Roger
Melbourne 

On Wednesday, 3 September 2014, 20:51, "Hartmut Kiehn hartis@live.com.au [Syncro_T3_Australia]" <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hi Les,
Welcome to NSW ! Will post it tomorrow will include some other items like petrol pump etc.
Hartmut

Sent from my iPad

On 3 Sep 2014, at 7:36 pm, "'Les Harris' leslieharris@optusnet.com.au [Syncro_T3_Australia]" <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Greg,
No it is in Uralla with me and there is unlikely to be a any clued-up mechanics withinl a very long way!!

Hartmut,
Les
From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com ]

Check for air leaks after the Air Flow meter Les. Makes hot starts very difficult .

Mark
Hi Les,
Have packed for you : temp sender, fuel pump, idle stab. valve, dizzi, air flow meter, anti T3 syndrome cable. 
As I don't carry a spare airflow meter as well as idle stabiliser valve , I have taken those items out of  the TriStar. No need to worry  though as I could arrange horse feed transport with the rural store.
Parcel is in the system and will arrive (hopefully) tomorrow by courier.
Best of luck and pay good attention to the idle stab valve connections as a leak in this area will create the syndromes you experience.
Hartmut

Sent from my iPad

On 3 Sep 2014, at 7:43 pm, "'Les Harris' leslieharris@optusnet.com.au [Syncro_T3_Australia]" <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Ken,

Thanks.  I will add that to the growing list!

Les

Sent: 03 September 2014 19:26
To: _T3_Australia forum Syncro

Les, Sorry,

Ken

_

Hartmut,

Thanks immensely. 

I haven’t yet started checking anything because I need to give my back a serious rest for a few days.  It is improving and I should be able to start crawling around the engine from inside and underneath very soon.

I have drawn up a checklist taken from the information that has flowed in and will do the lot even if engine function is restored early in the process.  The vehicle is twenty five years old after all and things like earthing points can get very grotty in that time.

So thanks again; I will let you know as soon as it arrives.

Les

(This was not sent from my Hall Sender!!)

Sent: 04 September 2014 08:58

Hi Les,

Have packed for you: temp sender, fuel pump, idle stab. valve, dizzi, air flow meter, anti T3 syndrome cable. 

As I don't carry a spare airflow meter as well as idle stabiliser valve, I have taken those items out of the TriStar. No need to worry though as I could arrange horse feed transport with the rural store.

Parcel is in the system and will arrive (hopefully) tomorrow by courier.

Best of luck and pay good attention to the idle stab valve connections as a leak in this area will create the syndromes you experience.

Hartmut

Sent from my iPad

Ecu temperature sensor? Bob

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Wednesday, 3 September 2014 6:50 PM

From: "'Les Harris' leslieharris@optusnet.com.au [Syncro_T3_Australia]" <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com>
Cc: syncro@gmail.com; Stuart Stirling <sds@mweb.co.za>
Sent: Wednesday, 3 September 2014, 16:35