This is the affectionate name given to my lastest 2.1 liter 1989
digifant Syncro, simply because it is always full of tools
This is the van I bought on the day of the Shallow Xing trip. So much
has happened or has been done to this Syncro and I have learnt a lot
about how the digifant runs.
I have attempted to put it all down in writing since all of us can
learn a lot about fault finding and how to fix it scenarios.
In chronological order:
1: Handed over the cash. It was running on LPG. Previous owner said
that he never ran it on petrol. The petrol tank was empty. I drove
away (on LPG) with my new car.
2: Filled her up with petrol. Would not run on petrol at all. Hmmm
think I suspected that would be the case.
3: I now have a spare engine from my Subaru transplant operation in
my camper Syncro. Lots of spares and a great opportunity to find out
what was wrong with the tool box Syncro.
4: Replaced the injectors. Van started on petrol. No power, rich
mixture. Stalled and generally was quite sick.
5: Removed air flow sensor. The vane was bent and seized rock solid
(probably having been blown up by a gas backfire (from previous owner
always starting on LPG).
6: Replaced air flow sensor although I retained the air flow sensor
circuit board. The carbon track wears. Took resistance readings. The
two boards gave very different readings.
7: Car ran a lot better. Still no power. Cleaned air filter and
replaced fuel filter. A lot better. Replaced the fuel regulator and
it ran better again.
8: Few times had trouble starting. Replaced the plugs and cleaned the
dizzy cap. Started first time every time.
9: Still running rich and had a hiccup after engine reached operating
Checked Oxygen sensor and was only outputting 0.3 volts (at op.
temp). Replaced and `new' O2 sensor had about 0.9 volts. Quite a
difference. Fixed the mixture problem and the hiccup disappeared.
9: Test drive and suddenly very erratic behavior. Cleaned all
connections with CO contact cleaner and re did all earthing points.
Did not miss a beat until
10: Low coolant light came on. Immediately stopped and no coolant at
all. None on the ground none in the tank hmmm where did it all go?
Inside the engine!
11: Head stud corroded through and head nut became loose. Direct path
for coolant to enter the engine.
12: Towed home (very humbling). Drained engine and coolant.
13: Removed head and spent about 2 days removing broken stud from
casing. A particularly nasty job. Used a 8mm tube socket, cut a notch
on the side and TIG welded it onto the 5mm of protruding stud. Then
applied a lot of heat to the casing with MAP gun and the stud came
out. All done with engine still in car (see .it can be done!).
14: Removed and cleaned all the valves and ports. Replaced head
gaskets and O rings
15: Adjusted valves.
16: Flushed engine with 50:50 mix of kerosene and cheap engine oil
for 60 secounds run time.
17: Flushed cooling system using half a cup of phosphate free
dishwasher powder (mixed with water of course).
17: Flushed engine with cheap oil for 5 minutes run time.
18: Replaced oil filter and added cheap oil. Ran for about 250 kms.
19: Added oil cooler and remotely mounted filter in side engine bay.
This old girl (330,000kms) runs hot (we have had very hot weather as
well). And the oil cooler certainly helps.
20: 14 full days work and two cases of beer
21: The `tool box' Syncro is purring along like new!
And thanks to Rick who gave up a few days of his holiday to
help...mind you working on a Syncro is better than a holiday :-)
Regards to all