Catalytic Converter

Dear All

I had a hell of a noise emanating from my rear end (car,
that is) when at Shallow Crossing. The general consensus among the group was that my catalytic converter was in the process of breaking up. Remedy suggested was to smash the innards of cat with a very long screwdriver then suction vacuum the debris out. End of noise. After quite a struggle with rusted on bolts have the cat off but nothing is rattling inside (but can't get the probe off though).Has anyone done this procedure before. Seems scary to smash into something that looks OK.Does it mean breaking down the mesh honeycomb ends at both ends? Someones help would be much appreciated,
Michael
BDDT. Smash away. The shell is tougher than the innards. Or just replace the cat and run cleaner.
BenT

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 11:07 PM, Michael <mallaner@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear All

that is) when at Shallow Crossing. The general consensus among the group was that my catalytic converter was in the process of breaking up. Remedy suggested was to smash the innards of cat with a very long screwdriver then suction vacuum the debris out. End of noise. After quite a struggle with rusted on bolts have the cat off but nothing is rattling inside (but can't get the probe off though).Has anyone done this procedure before. Seems scary to smash into something that looks OK.Does it mean breaking down the mesh honeycomb ends at both ends? Someones help would be much appreciated,
Michael
Ben T

I'm sorry,what does BDDT mean?. But just the same Ben, thanks for the response. Smash away even though there is no rattle inside when I shake the Cat? Rattle sound comes on not when revving in neutral but when the engine is under load. Crawling along bush tracks in in any gear including "G" no problem but when under full power especially going up a hill, pedal to the metal, thats when it's like a scapmetal junk sale out the back. Seem to lose power too.

On 12 February 2011 18:10, BenT Syncro <syncro@gmail.com> wrote:

BDDT. Smash away. The shell is tougher than the innards. Or just replace the cat and run cleaner.
BenT

Dear All

Michael

--
Regards

Michael

Michael Rayner East Light Photography
PO Box 144
MALLACOOTA VIC 3892

MOB: 0409 241 672
BUS: 0351169401
A/H: (03)5158 0346

Web: www.michaelraynerphotography.com.au
Email: michaelrayner@exemail.com.au

Michael,
BTDT. Fat fingers are not fully compatible to iPhone touch screens. Means 'Been There. Done that.'
If you already have the cat out of the vehicle, hold it out to the light. You should be able to see through it like a screen. If it's clogged, that would explain your problem. If you rattle it out of the van and you hear or SEE nothing moving, then the rattle yo uare hearing from the van when it runs is likely coming from elsewhere. The bad cat symptom is caused by pieces of the cat coming apart inside and blocking the holes in the cat matrix.
Check what ever part of the exhaust system is accessible to see it there are any particles that may be dislodge in there and flying about at full throttle.
BenT

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 11:46 PM, Michael Rayner <mallaner@gmail.com> wrote:

Ben T

I'm sorry,what does BDDT mean?. But just the same Ben, thanks for the response. Smash away even though there is no rattle inside when I shake the Cat? Rattle sound comes on not when revving in neutral but when the engine is under load. Crawling along bush tracks in in any gear including "G" no problem but when under full power especially going up a hill, pedal to the metal, thats when it's like a scapmetal junk sale out the back. Seem to lose power too.

BenT aka Fat Fingers.

Thanks for that Ben. Can see through Cat and nothing rattling when shaken. However did notice that the heat shield had been slightly crushed at one end against the cat. Have managed to separate and provide a gap between the cat. I'll see how that goes.

On 12 February 2011 18:53, BenT Syncro <syncro@gmail.com> wrote:

Michael,
BTDT. Fat fingers are not fully compatible to iPhone touch screens. Means 'Been There. Done that.'
If you already have the cat out of the vehicle, hold it out to the light. You should be able to see through it like a screen. If it's clogged, that would explain your problem. If you rattle it out of the van and you hear or SEE nothing moving, then the rattle yo uare hearing from the van when it runs is likely coming from elsewhere. The bad cat symptom is caused by pieces of the cat coming apart inside and blocking the holes in the cat matrix.
Check what ever part of the exhaust system is accessible to see it there are any particles that may be dislodge in there and flying about at full throttle.
BenT

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 11:46 PM, Michael Rayner <mallaner@gmail.com> wrote:

Ben T

--

Michael, If there is nothing wrong with your cat don't smash it. The sound you are describing, especially combined with a loss of power, sounds like detonation (to me). You need to check your ignition timing. Alternatively if you are not using premium try that and see if it improves or fixes it. If it does the timing is too far advanced. Or better yet stick with premium. Greg E

--- On Sat, 12/2/11, Michael <mallaner@gmail.com> wrote:

Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Catalytic Converter
To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Received: Saturday, 12 February, 2011, 6:07 PM

Dear All

Michael

Greg

I don't think it's detonation. This is most definitely a rattling, gattling, pots and pans sound rather than a 'pinging' one associates with ignition timing. besides I've been running it on premium as well as unleaded and no difference. The loss of power is more like a plateauing of power rather than loss.I'm going to see if the heat shield has some kind of effect and take it from there.

On 12 February 2011 20:01, greg esposito <gregespo73@yahoo.com> wrote:

Michael, If there is nothing wrong with your cat don't smash it. The sound you are describing, especially combined with a loss of power, sounds like detonation (to me). You need to check your ignition timing. Alternatively if you are not using premium try that and see if it improves or fixes it. If it does the timing is too far advanced. Or better yet stick with premium. Greg E

--- On Sat, 12/2/11, Michael <mallaner@gmail.com> wrote:

Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Catalytic Converter
To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Received: Saturday, 12 February, 2011, 6:07 PM

Dear All

Michael

--
Regards

Michael

Does the cat rattle, like it has loose parts inside, like when it's in your hand ?

it is possible to have both ends look intake, but it's melting, fusing, or breaking up internally where you can't see that ...though I havn't actually see that.

if it feels solid ...it might be ok yet.
if 'probe' means oxygen sensor ..and it's really stuck in there..
might be a good idea to get that out while it's easier to deal with. Sometimes I heat the cat with a torch around where the 02 sensor screws in ...sometimes they'll come out nicely that way.
 Put lots of copper based ( I think is better than aluminum based ) anti-seize compound on the 02 sensor threads. 
  in a bad case....the threads won't unscrew corrctly , but gaul.  The reapir then would be to have a new oxygens sensor boss welded in ...either in the same place in the cat, or upstream in the J pipe.

consider if it's muffler also.  Or anything else rattling.

also ...a hollowed out cat does not flow quite as well as a good one. - due to turbulence in that hollow can.
It should be either .... a good cat, a straight pipe, or a straight pipe welded inside the cat ..
that will flow better than a hollowed out cat.  So sez my exhaust weldler/fabrictor guy and I believe him, and my own testing agrees with that.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, February 11, 2011 11:10 PM
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Catalytic Converter

BenT

Dear All

Michael

Scott

Thanks for that info, what do you mean by "the threads won't unscrew corrctly , but gaul.". I'm testing to see if it's the heat shield around the cat that had been crushed onto the cat. I'll let you know how that pans out.

On 13 February 2011 05:57, Scott Daniel - Turbovans <ScottDaniel@turbovans.com> wrote:

Does the cat rattle, like it has loose parts inside, like when it's in your hand ?
it is possible to have both ends look intake, but it's melting, fusing, or breaking up internally where you can't see that ...though I havn't actually see that.
might be a good idea to get that out while it's easier to deal with. Sometimes I heat the cat with a torch around where the 02 sensor screws in ...sometimes they'll come out nicely that way.
Put lots of copper based ( I think is better than aluminum based ) anti-seize compound on the 02 sensor threads.
in a bad case....the threads won't unscrew corrctly , but gaul. The reapir then would be to have a new oxygens sensor boss welded in ...either in the same place in the cat, or upstream in the J pipe.
consider if it's muffler also. Or anything else rattling.
also ...a hollowed out cat does not flow quite as well as a good one. - due to turbulence in that hollow can.
It should be either .... a good cat, a straight pipe, or a straight pipe welded inside the cat ..
that will flow better than a hollowed out cat. So sez my exhaust weldler/fabrictor guy and I believe him, and my own testing agrees with that.

BenT

Dear All

Michael

--
Regards

Michael

I have occasionally seen a oxygen sensor threads that would not unscrew...
instead .....the treads fail and sort of intermingle ..
like it won't unscrew, and if it turns and that happens it's hard to get out.

doesn't happen too often.
yours will hopefully come out, unscrewing, just fine.

I don't like to see anything on a T3 van left untouched for years..
evidently you guys have almost no rust or corrosion to deal with ..
Where I am it's not bad ..
yet I see endless things corroded on T3 vans.
and left untouched for years......they can get terminally stuck together, to the point where things break rather than unscrew.

when metals gall....like two pieces that slide...like a piston in a cylinder.. or parts threaded together..
I believe it means metal from one surface adheres, even welds itself, to the other metal.

Duh ! ...I spelled it wrong ...my apologies ! I'm just a terrible speller.
it's 'gall' .not gaul, which I have a lot of sometimes, lol.

from dictionary.com .............
"Machinery . (of either of two engaging metal parts) to lose metal to the other because of heat or molecular attraction resulting from friction. "

that's what I meant..
like one metal transfers to the other one ..
I have seen a few oxygen sensor threads suffer from that. Rare, but a mess when it happens.

Scott

Thanks for that info, what do you mean by "the threads won't unscrew corrctly , but gaul.". I'm testing to see if it's the heat shield around the cat that had been crushed onto the cat. I'll let you know how that pans out.

On 13 February 2011 05:57, Scott Daniel - Turbovans <ScottDaniel@turbovans.com> wrote:

Put lots of copper based ( I think is better than aluminum based ) anti-seize compound on the 02 sensor threads. 
  in a bad case....the threads won't unscrew corrctly , but gaul.  The reapir then would be to have a new oxygens sensor boss welded in ...either in the same place in the cat, or upstream in the J pipe.

consider if it's muffler also.  Or anything else rattling.

It should be either .... a good cat, a straight pipe, or a straight pipe welded inside the cat ..
that will flow better than a hollowed out cat.  So sez my exhaust weldler/fabrictor guy and I believe him, and my own testing agrees with that.

BenT

Dear All

Michael

--
Regards

Michael

On Feb 12, 2011, at 3:41 PM, "Scott Daniel  - Turbovans" <ScottDaniel@turbovans.com> wrote:

Gaul, gall, it's all the same to me. Just kidding. ;-)

My apologies to Stef. Vive le France!

BenT
Scott/Ben

What sort of gasket is used for the Cat, are they pre-cut type or the silicon glue type that cure and form the gasket.I noticed s bit of what was a gasket break off on the in port side of the cat.

On 13 February 2011 10:56, BenT Syncro <syncro@gmail.com> wrote:

On Feb 12, 2011, at 3:41 PM, "Scott Daniel - Turbovans" <ScottDaniel@turbovans.com> wrote:

BenT

--
Regards

Michael

It's typical metal over fiber 3-hole gasket in my neck of the woods. 

BenT

On Feb 12, 2011, at 6:52 PM, Michael Rayner <mallaner@gmail.com> wrote:

Scott/Ben

What sort of gasket is used for the Cat, are they pre-cut type or the silicon glue type that cure and form the gasket.I noticed s bit of what was a gasket break off on the in  port side of the cat.

On 13 February 2011 10:56, BenT Syncro <syncro@gmail.com> wrote:

On Feb 12, 2011, at 3:41 PM, "Scott Daniel  - Turbovans" <ScottDaniel@turbovans.com> wrote:

BenT

--
Regards

Michael