Dead van diagnostic tools, wiring bypass

Interesting post concerning a DIY wiring bypass kit plus instructions that in the process, eliminates areas from your search found good, with the objective being to uncover the area of the fault and the item that has stopped your van.

Goto: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=349429&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Be useful please for any auto electrical members here who can study and comment on its veracity and whether or not it represents a must have addition to a vans tool kit to aid fault finding.

Cheers.
Ken

There was/is an MV analyzer on the market made by Shoebox Electronix and designated ‘8691V ECU Monitor’. It was also being sold via Van Café. It monitors all the inputs to the ECU, displays a digital readout of all of them and can be used while the vehicle is being driven. Theo Weiss has one. It is worth looking at.

L

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com ]
Sent: 04 January 2016 20:30
To: Syncro Australia Forum
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Dead van diagnostic tools, wiring bypass

Interesting post concerning a DIY wiring bypass kit plus instructions that in the process, eliminates areas from your search found good, with the objective being to uncover the area of the fault and the item that has stopped your van.

Goto: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=349429&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Be useful please for any auto electrical members here who can study and comment on its veracity and whether or not it represents a must have addition to a vans tool kit to aid fault finding.

Cheers.

Ken

There is an analysis device on the market that does read everything while the vehicle is being driven.  Van Café sells a device called Shoebox Electronix 8691 ECU Monitor.  Pricey but thorough.

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com ]

Cheers.

Ken

Hi Les,

Yes I have this device however I would not say that it reads everything.

Roger Bayley pointed out some months ago the same could be done with a multimeter and he is right.

Except this device gives you the voltage number as you drive.

The cable needs to be soldered in the ECU - not an easy task.

I had mine mounded on the dashboard and Christine would write the numbers down.

Unfortunately it did not help me with my electrical problems.

I just like to point out that it is a very basic tool.

On another note, I have gone over to the dark side as Scot would say.

My Syncro is mothballed in Melbourne waiting for my return.

We bought Landcruiser for our trip around Australia.

At our age we need a bit of comfort, however I miss the simplicity of the Syncro.

Cheers,

Theo & Christine

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: 09 January 2016 20:11
To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Dead van diagnostic tools, wiring bypass

There is an analysis device on the market that does read everything while the vehicle is being driven.  Van Café sells a device called Shoebox Electronix 8691 ECU Monitor.  Pricey but thorough.

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com]

Cheers.

Ken

Have an awesome journey.

got a chuckle though, out of the phase 'simplicity of the Syncro' .

They've never been considered 'simple' and as VW vans go, they sure are not.
Ever replace the starter , for example ?

safe travels, Scott

On 1/9/2016 3:46 PM, Theo Weiss teows@melbpc.org.au [Syncro_T3_Australia] wrote:

Hi Les,

Roger Bayley pointed out some months ago the same could be done with a multimeter and he is right.

Unfortunately it did not help me with my electrical problems.

At our age we need a bit of comfort, however I miss the simplicity of the Syncro.

Cheers,

Theo & Christine

There is an analysis device on the market that does read everything while the vehicle is being driven. Van Café sells a device called Shoebox Electronix 8691 ECU Monitor. Pricey but thorough.

Cheers.

Ken

I fitted the Shoebox monitor and found it to be a very useful tool as it monitors the system in real time, while the motor is running, even while driving, and is very helpful for diagnosing faults in "real time".

It is basically a multimeter that checks all the systems as per the Bentley manual, quickly and conveniently, plus it has LEDs for checking the starter relay and the hall sender - it flashes with each spark of the ignition at idle, blurring into a continuous stream of light when you rev the engine.

Downside is that it is difficult to concentrate on driving whilst monitoring the digital readouts, as you need to switch channels to test different circuits. Much better to get someone else to drive while you are fiddling with it. Alternatively, pull over and check the readouts on the side of the road.

Very useful for checking the starter relay and hall sender - if the LEDS don't light up, you know where the problem is. The unit also checks the throttle control switch and all of the sender units, so you can tell if one needs replacing.

This is particularly useful for the costly O2 sensor, which requires replacing every 100,000k, and can play up in between times. The unit will also expose the shortcomings of the inferior O2 sensors that are often foisted upon us.

It takes an hour or so of precision soldering to connect the wires to the circuit board in the ECU. I had to buy a fine-tipped soldering iron, a pair of tweezers and a magnifier. The instructions are clear and easily understood.

I found the wiring loom a bit short (US Vanagons apparently have the ECU fitted in a different position) so I ran the wiring under the floormats and fitted the monitor permanently, in a console between the front seats.

Alternatively you could just plug the unit in to the ECU when required, and sit the unit on the passenger's seat.

Although it is fairly expensive it will soon pay for itself by saving you the cost of replacing perfectly good sensors in the "scatter gun" approach to solving EFI problems.

Overall, it is a very useful bit of kit which gives me a sense of security that I can solve my own problems when travelling in remote areas.

All of this will soon be obsolete if GoWesty's new EFI system proves to be as good as promised!
Hey Looked up the EFI update bit expensive ?

On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 9:46 PM, Roger Bayley gullyraker53@gmail.com [Syncro_T3_Australia] <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

I fitted the Shoebox monitor and found it to be a very useful tool as it monitors the system in real time, while the motor is running, even while driving, and is very helpful for diagnosing faults in "real time".

It is basically a multimeter that checks all the systems as per the Bentley manual, quickly and conveniently, plus it has LEDs for checking the starter relay and the hall sender - it flashes with each spark of the ignition at idle, blurring into a continuous stream of light when you rev the engine.

Downside is that it is difficult to concentrate on driving whilst monitoring the digital readouts, as you need to switch channels to test different circuits. Much better to get someone else to drive while you are fiddling with it. Alternatively, pull over and check the readouts on the side of the road.

Very useful for checking the starter relay and hall sender - if the LEDS don't light up, you know where the problem is. The unit also checks the throttle control switch and all of the sender units, so you can tell if one needs replacing.

This is particularly useful for the costly O2 sensor, which requires replacing every 100,000k, and can play up in between times. The unit will also expose the shortcomings of the inferior O2 sensors that are often foisted upon us.

It takes an hour or so of precision soldering to connect the wires to the circuit board in the ECU. I had to buy a fine-tipped soldering iron, a pair of tweezers and a magnifier. The instructions are clear and easily understood.

I found the wiring loom a bit short (US Vanagons apparently have the ECU fitted in a different position) so I ran the wiring under the floormats and fitted the monitor permanently, in a console between the front seats.

Alternatively you could just plug the unit in to the ECU when required, and sit the unit on the passenger's seat.

Although it is fairly expensive it will soon pay for itself by saving you the cost of replacing perfectly good sensors in the "scatter gun" approach to solving EFI problems.

Overall, it is a very useful bit of kit which gives me a sense of security that I can solve my own problems when travelling in remote areas.

All of this will soon be obsolete if GoWesty's new EFI system proves to be as good as promised!

Sott,

Sorry I didn't mean repair work.

I meant day to day driving.

If I haven't got my Key in my pocket nothing goes.

Cheers,

Theo

Sent: Monday, 11 January 2016 6:22 AM
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Dead van diagnostic tools, wiring bypass

Have an awesome journey.

safe travels, Scott

On 1/9/2016 3:46 PM, Theo Weiss teows@melbpc.org.au [Syncro_T3_Australia] wrote:

Hi Les,

Unfortunately it did not help me with my electrical  problems.

Cheers,

Theo & Christine

Cheers.

Ken

Roger,

I stand to be corrected.

When we got back to Melbourne I better have another look at the monitor.

Theo

Sent: Monday, 11 January 2016 7:47 PM
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Dead van diagnostic tools, wiring bypass

I fitted the Shoebox monitor and found it to be a very useful tool as it monitors the system in real time, while the motor is running,  even while driving, and is very helpful for diagnosing faults in "real time".

Downside is that it is difficult to concentrate on driving whilst monitoring the digital readouts, as you need to switch channels to test different circuits. Much better to get someone else to drive while you are fiddling with it. Alternatively, pull over and check the readouts on the side of the road.

Very useful for checking the starter relay and hall sender - if the LEDS don't light up, you know where the problem is. The unit also checks the throttle control switch and all of the sender units, so you can tell if one needs replacing.

It takes an hour or so of precision soldering to connect the wires to the circuit board in the ECU. I had to buy a fine-tipped soldering iron, a pair of tweezers and a magnifier. The instructions are clear and easily understood.

Although it is fairly expensive it will soon pay for itself by saving you the cost of replacing perfectly good sensors in the "scatter gun" approach to solving EFI problems.

Overall, it is a very useful bit of kit which gives me a sense of security that I can solve my own problems when travelling in remote areas.

Hi Theo, where are you guys now? You've been gone a while now. Hope your having a great time. Is the cruiser a troopy and you sleep in the back or have you got a camper trailer? Would love to see a pic of your set up. Gregor

From: "Theo Weiss teows@melbpc.org.au [Syncro_T3_Australia]" <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, 14 January 2016, 11:32

Sott,

Cheers,
Theo

Have an awesome journey.

safe travels, Scott

Hi Les,

Cheers,
Theo & Christine

Cheers.
Ken

Hi Gregor,

I hope I don't get banned from this forum talking Toyota's.

Christine bought a Landcruiser 200 for comfort.

And a very small, narrow, off-road caravan.

We have been around Australia with a few side trips - Cape York, Steep Point, Kakadu, parts of Gibbs River Rd. Mt Augustus

We are near Geraldton waiting for some cooler months, with a bit of luck, to go the Centre.

We have done over 60,000km so far, Syncro & Landcruiser.

Cheers,

Theo & Christine

Sent: Sunday, 17 January 2016 5:48 AM

Hi Theo, where are you guys now? You've been gone a while now. Hope your having a great time. Is the cruiser a troopy and you sleep in the back or have you got a camper trailer? Would love to see a pic of your set up. Gregor

From: "Theo Weiss teows@melbpc.org.au [Syncro_T3_Australia]" <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com>

Sott,

Cheers,

Theo

Have an awesome journey.

safe travels, Scott

Hi Les,

Cheers,

Theo & Christine

Cheers.

Ken

Hi Theo, Greg, All
Very wise move Theo to do all those k's in a Landcruiser and saving the Legend.
Btw, have you booked for this year's Valla ?? It will be for a full week like 2 year's ago.
For dates etc search valla vw.
Hope you can make it Theo. 
Any T5's are most welcome, i'm sure.
Hart

Sent from my iPad

On 17 Jan 2016, at 6:19 pm, Theo Weiss teows@melbpc.org.au [Syncro_T3_Australia] <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hi Gregor,

We have been around Australia with a few side trips - Cape York, Steep Point, Kakadu, parts of Gibbs River Rd. Mt Augustus

We are near Geraldton waiting for some cooler months, with a bit of luck, to go the Centre.

Cheers,

Theo & Christine

Sott,

Cheers,

Theo

Have an awesome journey.

safe travels, Scott

Hi Les,

Cheers,

Theo & Christine

Cheers.

Ken

<P1150503.jpg>

Hartmut,

Can you give me a when and where for Valla please? 

Les

Sent: 17 January 2016 21:19
To: Theo Weiss teows@melbpc.org.au [Syncro_T3_Australia]
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Australia Trip

Hi Theo, Greg, All

Btw, have you booked for this year's Valla ?? It will be for a full week like 2 year's ago.

Hart

Les, it's   24th of July to 1st of August 2016. The last 2 days will be the important ones.
Should turn out to be a fantastic event....can't wait.
Hartmut

Sent from my iPad

On 17 Jan 2016, at 9:26 pm, 'Leslie Harris' leslieharris@optusnet.com.au [Syncro_T3_Australia] <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hartmut,

Les

Hi Theo, Greg, All

Hart

Sorry, Les, Valla Beach is just a few k's North of Nambucca Heads.
Ha.

Sent from my iPad

On 17 Jan 2016, at 9:26 pm, 'Leslie Harris' leslieharris@optusnet.com.au [Syncro_T3_Australia] <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hartmut,

Les

Hi Theo, Greg, All

Hart

Hi Hartmut, All

We would love to come.

End of June we will be in Redcliffe, however our Syncro will still be in Melbourne.

Question, could we book in with our Landcruiser as a Guest at Valla ??

Any other Caravan Park around Nambucca is too far from Valla and not practical for us.

Cheers.

Theo & Christine

Sent: Sunday, 17 January 2016 6:19 PM

Hi Theo, Greg, All

Hart

Sent from my iPad

On 17 Jan 2016, at 6:19 pm, Theo Weiss teows@melbpc.org.au [Syncro_T3_Australia] <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hi Gregor,

Cheers,

Theo & Christine

Sott,

Cheers,

Theo

Have an awesome journey.

safe travels, Scott

Hi Les,

Cheers,

Theo & Christine

Cheers.

Ken

<P1150503.jpg>

Hi Theo,
Think Landcruiser should be fine but to be sure why not give Donna Pell a call or sms.
We could always fix some Syncro stickers on yours, have a fair few you can have….
Hart

On 21 Jan 2016, at 3:36 pm, Theo Weiss teows@melbpc.org.au [Syncro_T3_Australia] <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hi Hartmut, All

We would love to come.

End of June we will be in Redcliffe, however our Syncro will still be in Melbourne.

Question, could we book in with our Landcruiser as a Guest at Valla ??

Any other Caravan Park around Nambucca is too far from Valla and not practical for us.

Cheers.

Theo & Christine

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] 
Sent: Sunday, 17 January 2016 6:19 PM
To: Theo Weiss teows@melbpc.org.au [Syncro_T3_Australia]
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Australia Trip

Hi Theo, Greg, All

Hart

Sent from my iPad

On 17 Jan 2016, at 6:19 pm, Theo Weiss teows@melbpc.org.au [Syncro_T3_Australia] <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hi Gregor,

Cheers,

Theo & Christine

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] 
Sent: Sunday, 17 January 2016 5:48 AM
To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Dead van diagnostic tools, wiring bypass

From: "Theo Weiss teows@melbpc.org.au [Syncro_T3_Australia]" <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, 14 January 2016, 11:32
Subject: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Dead van diagnostic tools, wiring bypass

Sott,

Cheers,

Theo

Sent: Monday, 11 January 2016 6:22 AM
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Dead van diagnostic tools, wiring bypass

Have an awesome journey.

safe travels, Scott

On 1/9/2016 3:46 PM, Theo Weiss teows@melbpc.org.au [Syncro_T3_Australia] wrote:

Hi Les,

Cheers,

Theo & Christine

Sent: 09 January 2016 20:11
Subject: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Dead van diagnostic tools, wiring bypass

Sent: 04 January 2016 20:30
To: Syncro Australia Forum
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Dead van diagnostic tools, wiring bypass

Cheers.

Ken

<P1150503.jpg>