Diesel motor

Has anybody in Australia successfully fitted a diesel motor to a syncro?
Thank you, Paul.
Paul,

Someone is considering doing that at the moment because they have a 1.9 diesel in stock; they posted recently.  There is a downside and that is the vehicle will be seriously underpowered.  With the (standard) 2.1 MV engine and a vehicle weighing well over two tonnes, performance is on the low side of adequate in terms of keeping up with normal traffic streams.  Given the price of diesel in Australia, there's no savings in fuel consumption.  If your current engine is on the tired side, the 2.5 Subaru is worth considering.  Several of our members have done the conversion, with rewarding results.

Les

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, October 20, 2007 11:53 AM
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Diesel motor

Has anybody in Australia successfully fitted a diesel motor to a syncro?
Thank you, Paul.

Hi Paul,

There is some people on this group with diesels such as the 1.9TDI.
Once I have lots of spare money, which is likely to be a few years
away, I would love to go the 2.5TDI. You need to change gearing, loom
etc, and it sound like the 1.9TDI, standard, is not much better, if
any, than the 2.1 petrol, even with the higher torque. With a few
tweaks though you can get more performance from the TDI's. Fast
forward, or was it another website? had lots of information and
services for doing the conversions, though they are not aussie.

Sam

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "Les Harris"
<leslieharris@...> wrote:
>
> Paul,
>
> Someone is considering doing that at the moment because they have a
1.9 diesel in stock; they posted recently. There is a downside and
that is the vehicle will be seriously underpowered. With the
(standard) 2.1 MV engine and a vehicle weighing well over two tonnes,
performance is on the low side of adequate in terms of keeping up with
normal traffic streams. Given the price of diesel in Australia,
there's no savings in fuel consumption. If your current engine is on
the tired side, the 2.5 Subaru is worth considering. Several of our
members have done the conversion, with rewarding results.
>
> Les
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: powerbandpowerband
> To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> Sent: Saturday, October 20, 2007 11:53 AM
> Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Diesel motor
>
>
> Has anybody in Australia successfully fitted a diesel motor to a
syncro?
> Thank you, Paul.
>
I see that I missed out a sentence in my last post on this subject.  I have added it in blue.

Someone is considering doing that at the moment because they have a 1.9 diesel in stock; they posted recently. There is a downside and that is the vehicle will be seriously underpowered. With the (standard) 2.1 MV engine and a vehicle weighing well over two tonnes, performance is on the low side of adequate in terms of keeping up with normal traffic streams.  The 1.9 diesel, as I understand it from postings on the overseas sites, is very leisurely indeed, and this is compared with the 2.1 MV engine.  Given the price of diesel in Australia, there's no savings in fuel consumption. If your current engine is on the tired side, the 2.5 Subaru is worth considering. Several of our members have done the conversion, with rewarding results.

Les

Sent: Monday, October 22, 2007 1:42 PM
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Diesel motor

Hi Paul,

There is some people on this group with diesels such as the 1.9TDI.
Once I have lots of spare money, which is likely to be a few years
away, I would love to go the 2.5TDI. You need to change gearing, loom
etc, and it sound like the 1.9TDI, standard, is not much better, if
any, than the 2.1 petrol, even with the higher torque. With a few
tweaks though you can get more performance from the TDI's. Fast
forward, or was it another website? had lots of information and
services for doing the conversions, though they are not aussie.

Sam

On 10/21/07, Les Harris <leslieharris@optushome.com.au> wrote:
I see that I missed out a sentence in my last post on this subject.  I have added it in blue.

Someone is considering doing that at the moment because they have a 1.9 diesel in stock; they posted recently. There is a downside and that is the vehicle will be seriously underpowered. With the (standard) 2.1 MV engine and a vehicle weighing well over two tonnes, performance is on the low side of adequate in terms of keeping up with normal traffic streams.  The 1.9 diesel, as I understand it from postings on the overseas sites, is very leisurely indeed, and this is compared with the 2.1 MV engine.  Given the price of diesel in Australia, there's no savings in fuel consumption. If your current engine is on the tired side, the 2.5 Subaru is worth considering. Several of our members have done the conversion, with rewarding results.

Les

I agree with Les on the 1.9NA (normally aspirated) engines. However, even the 1.9TD (mechanically injected AAZ) has very usable torque. With the bigger turbo from the 1.6TD's and a decent size intercooler, there are folks getting 100hp on these engines and vastly superior torque to the MV engines. The only wiring this engine needs is for the glow plugs. I get 30mpg in my 89 Syncro 16 Doka with a bone stock AAZ (78hp) compared to my 87 GL with an MV 2.1 WBX which gets 18MPG. My 84 with 2.2 turbo Subaru with autotrans only gets 16MPG when I'm behaving. I feel a 1.9TDi is a good compromise between all of the above if cost and complexity of install was not a factor. 

BenT
(not in OZ)

Ben and all,

This is the true benefit of Internet groups like ours - solid information comes from our members all around the world.

Thanks Ben.

Les

Sent: Monday, October 22, 2007 7:09 PM
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Diesel motor

On 10/21/07, Les Harris <leslieharris@ optushome. com.au> wrote:

Les

I agree with Les on the 1.9NA (normally aspirated) engines. However, even the 1.9TD (mechanically injected AAZ) has very usable torque. With the bigger turbo from the 1.6TD's and a decent size intercooler, there are folks getting 100hp on these engines and vastly superior torque to the MV engines. The only wiring this engine needs is for the glow plugs. I get 30mpg in my 89 Syncro 16 Doka with a bone stock AAZ (78hp) compared to my 87 GL with an MV 2.1 WBX which gets 18MPG. My 84 with 2.2 turbo Subaru with autotrans only gets 16MPG when I'm behaving. I feel a 1.9TDi is a good compromise between all of the above if cost and complexity of install was not a factor. 

BenT
(not in OZ)

On 10/22/07, Les Harris <leslieharris@optushome.com.au> wrote:
Ben and all,

This is the true benefit of Internet groups like ours - solid information comes from our members all around the world.

Thanks Ben.

Les

Glad to be able to contribute my 2 cents (or is that 1.5 cents compared to the Aussie dollar these days?).

BenT