Does anyone have any info on Syncro on Carsales @ Thornleigh NSW?

Hello,

I am looking for someone in the club that might have looked at this syncro or maybe even driven? If not is anyone interested in helping me see if it has any issues that need adressing?

Thanks,

Leighton
Does anyone live near this area that could venture for a look at this syncro for poor Leighton.

He seems fairly set on it.

Note it is definitely an ex-telstra so it may not have had a very easy life in its initial stages and it does have quite a few kms on it.

You will need to check for coolant leaks after it has had a good run - even if you cant see any but can smell a strong coolant burning smell it could be a problem.

Can you get an NRMA check on it? Do they still do that?

Check the tyres for abnormal wear.

When you take it for a drive -check to see that it binds on a 3-point turn (like someone has put the brakes on). If it turns around too easy you VC is probably not working.

Brakes are generally crap on syncros - so don't expect good braking performance. Check the fluid levels by lifting off the cover over the speedo gauges. It is under a plastic cover under the main cover. This fluid is for the brakes and the clutch servos so if it is low (check it after a run) there may be an issue.

Check for rust around the seams and at the front valance box section just above the bumper and around windows seals - lumpy window seals are not a good sign.

Best of luck with it. At least the pop top conversion is a good one.

Cheers,

Skot

On 24/11/2011 4:53 PM, l8nnmsmith wrote:

Hello,

I am looking for someone in the club that might have looked at this syncro or maybe even driven? If not is anyone interested in helping me see if it has any issues that need adressing?

Thanks,

Leighton

Hello Skot,

Thanks for the info and advice. I took it for a drive after they got it started and it did drive okay. It had some back fire and restarted when the dealer stalled it in traffic. One thing I did notice when looking under the rear right wheel arch was I think the rubber around the petrol tank was cracked?. I looked for signs of rust and did not find much? or much 4wd damage? do you think I would be able to put windows into the back pannels?

Leighton

To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 17:17:31 +1100
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Does anyone have any info on Syncro on Carsales @ Thornleigh NSW?

Does anyone live near this area that could venture for a look at this syncro for poor Leighton.

Note it is definitely an ex-telstra so it may not have had a very easy life in its initial stages and it does have quite a few kms on it.

You will need to check for coolant leaks after it has had a good run - even if you cant see any but can smell a strong coolant burning smell it could be a problem.

When you take it for a drive -check to see that it binds on a 3-point turn (like someone has put the brakes on). If it turns around too easy you VC is probably not working.

Brakes are generally crap on syncros - so don't expect good braking performance. Check the fluid levels by lifting off the cover over the speedo gauges. It is under a plastic cover under the main cover. This fluid is for the brakes and the clutch servos so if it is low (check it after a run) there may be an issue.

Check for rust around the seams and at the front valance box section just above the bumper and around windows seals - lumpy window seals are not a good sign.

Cheers,

Skot

Hello,

Thanks,

Leighton

Leighton,

Putting windows in the back can and has been done, but honestly, I think you are better served to have them blanked out except for the sliding door which you could fit a caravelle or trakka slider - just looked ta the add and the van already has one.

That should let in sufficient air for the back passengers.

I have lots of windows but when the kids are in the back - we pull the curtains across to stop the sun scorching them.

I wouldn't be concerned about them as they will just be another place to rust.

I would get the vehicle checked mechanically by an independent mechanic though. It can help you peel money off the asking price if they find problems you are willing to fix.

These donks can be expensive to fix or convert to another type of engine.

Cheers,

Skot

On 24/11/2011 9:43 PM, Leighton Smith wrote:

Hello Skot,

Thanks for the info and advice. I took it for a drive after they got it started and it did drive okay. It had some back fire and restarted when the dealer stalled it in traffic. One thing I did notice when looking under the rear right wheel arch was I think the rubber around the petrol tank was cracked?. I looked for signs of rust and did not find much? or much 4wd damage? do you think I would be able to put windows into the back pannels?

Leighton

Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 17:17:31 +1100
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Does anyone have any info on Syncro on Carsales @ Thornleigh NSW?

Cheers,

Skot

Hello,

Thanks,

Leighton

Leighton. The gas fridge does not appear to be vented. Illegal and dangerous. I was at Pilliga bore a few months ago when a couple died in a poorly vented van from gas leak. We spoke to them the night before. If you buy the van deal with this issue first. Eather remove the fridge and replace with 12/240v , or have it properly vented. In the past i would have said "she'll be right mate". Not anymore. Bill.
Hello Bill,

Thanks for the important info on fridge. Do you know how much a fridge would be on 12/240v? What is involved it the ventilation of fridge? it they why some campers have vents on the side behind the fridge?

Regards,

Leighton

Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 20:53:45 +0000
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Does anyone have any info on Syncro on Carsales @ Thornleigh NSW?

Leighton. The gas fridge does not appear to be vented. Illegal and dangerous. I was at Pilliga bore a few months ago when a couple died in a poorly vented van from gas leak. We spoke to them the night before. If you buy the van deal with this issue first. Eather remove the fridge and replace with 12/240v , or have it properly vented. In the past i would have said "she'll be right mate". Not anymore. Bill.

Leighton. The vents in the side of vans behind fridges are primarily to allow fresh air to circulate around the evaporator for the fridge to operate effectively. This may or may not be sufficient to safely vent a gas leak. Gas is heavier than air and accumulates from the floor up. A floor vent at the lowest point similar to the drain in your bathroom is the safest option. Consult an expert. i'm not a fan of 3 way fridges as they are notoriously inefficient to cope with aussie summers. An engel 40litre 12/240v would set you back about $1k, a 100ah battery with isolator about $500, and a 80ah solar panel for stand alone camping $500. A good set up about $2000. not cheap but you'll have cold beer for life.

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, Leighton Smith <smith_leighton@...> wrote:
>
>
> Hello Bill,
>
> Thanks for the important info on fridge. Do you know how much a fridge would be on 12/240v? What is involved it the ventilation of fridge? it they why some campers have vents on the side behind the fridge?
>
> Regards,
>
> Leighton
>
>
>
>
> To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> From: marg_bill@...
> Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 20:53:45 +0000
> Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Does anyone have any info on Syncro on Carsales @ Thornleigh NSW?
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Leighton. The gas fridge does not appear to be vented. Illegal and dangerous. I was at Pilliga bore a few months ago when a couple died in a poorly vented van from gas leak. We spoke to them the night before. If you buy the van deal with this issue first. Eather remove the fridge and replace with 12/240v , or have it properly vented. In the past i would have said "she'll be right mate". Not anymore. Bill.
>
Hello Bill,

Thanks for your knowledge and information you have shared with me. It has opened my eyes and starting to see some light. Does the fuel tank have black insulation rubber around it? as this one looks like ti might have a crack on the right hand side wheel arch.

Regards,

Leighton

Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 23:00:06 +0000
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Does anyone have any info on Syncro on Carsales @ Thornleigh NSW?

Leighton. The vents in the side of vans behind fridges are primarily to allow fresh air to circulate around the evaporator for the fridge to operate effectively. This may or may not be sufficient to safely vent a gas leak. Gas is heavier than air and accumulates from the floor up. A floor vent at the lowest point similar to the drain in your bathroom is the safest option. Consult an expert. i'm not a fan of 3 way fridges as they are notoriously inefficient to cope with aussie summers. An engel 40litre 12/240v would set you back about $1k, a 100ah battery with isolator about $500, and a 80ah solar panel for stand alone camping $500. A good set up about $2000. not cheap but you'll have cold beer for life.

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, Leighton Smith <smith_leighton@...> wrote:
>
>
> Hello Bill,
>
> Thanks for the important info on fridge. Do you know how much a fridge would be on 12/240v? What is involved it the ventilation of fridge? it they why some campers have vents on the side behind the fridge?
>
> Regards,
>
> Leighton
>
>
>
>
> Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Does anyone have any info on Syncro on Carsales @ Thornleigh NSW?
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Leighton. The gas fridge does not appear to be vented. Illegal and dangerous. I was at Pilliga bore a few months ago when a couple died in a poorly vented van from gas leak. We spoke to them the night before. If you buy the van deal with this issue first. Eather remove the fridge and replace with 12/240v , or have it properly vented. In the past i would have said "she'll be right mate". Not anymore. Bill.
>

> An engel 40litre 12/240v would set you back about $1k, a 100ah battery with
> isolator about $500, and a 80ah solar panel for stand alone camping
> $500. A good set up about $2000. not cheap but you'll have cold beer for life.
>

Cheaper to buy drugs if you're that way inclined.
Leighton,

The fuel tank is black plastic in a syncro and if is the tank that is cracked it will be leaking if it has any fuel in it.

The syncro fuel tanks are a bugger to remove and replace as they are above the gearbox. Finding a second hand one is possible but very difficult.

I agree with Bill regarding 3 way fridges - I had one in mine for years and it was pathetic - for it to work the van must be dead level - even a slight slope would stop mine working. I now have a Weaco 12V / 240V fridge and it is magic.

Cheers,

Skot

On 25/11/2011 10:07 AM, Leighton Smith wrote:

Hello Bill,

Thanks for your knowledge and information you have shared with me. It has opened my eyes and starting to see some light. Does the fuel tank have black insulation rubber around it? as this one looks like ti might have a crack on the right hand side wheel arch.

Regards,

Leighton

>
>
> Hello Bill,
>
>
> Regards,
>
> Leighton
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Scot,

Did you have the vents in the car’s side panel closed up again ? Is your Waeco top or front opening and size in litres ?

Hart

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Scott Pitcher
Sent: Friday, 25 November 2011 10:31 AM
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Does anyone have any info on Syncro on Carsales @ Thornleigh NSW?

Leighton,

The fuel tank is black plastic in a syncro and if is the tank that is cracked it will be leaking if it has any fuel in it.

The syncro fuel tanks are a bugger to remove and replace as they are above the gearbox. Finding a second hand one is possible but very difficult.

I agree with Bill regarding 3 way fridges - I had one in mine for years and it was pathetic - for it to work the van must be dead level - even a slight slope would stop mine working. I now have a Weaco 12V / 240V fridge and it is magic.

Cheers,

Skot

Hello Bill,

Regards,

Leighton

>
>
> Hello Bill,
>
>
> Regards,
>
> Leighton
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Scot,

Did you have the vents in the car’s side panel closed up again ? Is your Waeco top or front opening and size in litres ?

Hart

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Scott Pitcher
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Does anyone have any info on Syncro on Carsales @ Thornleigh NSW?

Leighton,

Cheers,

Skot

Hello Bill,

Regards,

Leighton

>
>
> Hello Bill,
>
>
> Regards,
>
> Leighton
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Hart,

My old Electrolux 38L fridge was an old bay window 3 way fridge. It worked fine plugged into 240V sitting outside the van (in the garage) dead flat. Anything else it was crap.

My current fridge is a Weaco 110L monster which works brilliantly and holds a fair amount of beer as well as milk, coke, OJ, fruit, meat, butter cheese etc etc.

It only just fits under the window sill but is very needed for my growing family.

My van has never been vented except I utilise the drivers door vent and have a cupboard opening adjacent to let air in - plus vents above the back of the fridge and the "Coolmatic" vents across the front up top.

Works very well without vents.

Cheers,

Skot

On 25/11/2011 10:38 AM, Hartmut Kiehn wrote:

Scot,

Hart

Leighton,

Cheers,

Skot

Hello Bill,

Regards,

Leighton

>
>
> Hello Bill,
>
>
> Regards,
>
> Leighton
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Leighton,

I think normally one can't see the fuel tank in situ as it's covered with a protective/insulating blanket.

So I'm not sure what you are looking at that looks "cracked".

Ken

To: syncro_t3_australia@yahoogroups.com
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 10:07:40 +1100
Subject: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Does anyone have any info on Syncro on Carsales @ Thornleigh NSW?

Hello Bill,

Regards,

Leighton

>
>
> Hello Bill,
>
>
> Regards,
>
> Leighton
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Ken,

I think it must be the insulation blanket is cracked a bit? is that a major thing? hard to replace or even worth replacing?

Regards,

Leighton

Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 13:49:03 +1100
Subject: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Does anyone have any info on Syncro on Carsales @ Thornleigh NSW?

Leighton,

I think normally one can't see the fuel tank in situ as it's covered with a protective/insulating blanket.

Ken

Hello Bill,

Regards,

Leighton

>
>
> Hello Bill,
>
>
> Regards,
>
> Leighton
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

If you are travelling with a wife and two small children and are quite happy to risk their death from food poisoning, there are plenty of so-called refrigerators on the market that will do the job.

On the other hand, if you want safe food anywhere in Australia in the middle of summer, there are just a few that will keep you safe.  Amongst these are the Waeco tropical rated models.  

You get what you pay for.

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of plander@optusnet.com.au
Sent: 25 November 2011 10:09

> An engel 40litre 12/240v would set you back about $1k, a 100ah battery
with
> $500. A good set up about $2000. not cheap but you'll have cold beer for
life.
>

Les,

Thanks so much again for the advice and I will learn more as time goes on. I am looking for a safe reliable Syncro for my family to enjoy for many years.

Leighton

Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 14:45:19 +1100

If you are travelling with a wife and two small children and are quite happy to risk their death from food poisoning, there are plenty of so-called refrigerators on the market that will do the job.

On the other hand, if you want safe food anywhere in Australia in the middle of summer, there are just a few that will keep you safe.  Amongst these are the Waeco tropical rated models.  

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of plander@optusnet.com.au

> $500. A good set up about $2000. not cheap but you'll have cold beer for life.
>

Leighton,
Best guess ... probably not. But ask Steve, if he looks at the van.
Ken

Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 13:51:45 +1100

Ken,

I think it must be the insulation blanket is cracked a bit? is that a major thing? hard to replace or even worth replacing?

Regards,

Leighton

Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 13:49:03 +1100

Leighton,

Ken

Hello Bill,

Regards,

Leighton

>
>
> Hello Bill,
>
>
> Regards,
>
> Leighton
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

The story of the syncro van goes like this .....was bought at a damaged car auction and may have been a stolen recovered item.....was sold to dealer at Thornleigh and advertised...check REVS or the RTA for pervious history check is my advice ...travelled 350k so there will be worked required in its up keep...cheers steve

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Leighton Smith
Sent: Friday, 25 November 2011 9:38 AM

Hello Bill,

Thanks for the important info on fridge. Do you know how much a fridge would be on 12/240v? What is involved it the ventilation of fridge? it they why some campers have vents on the side behind the fridge?

Regards,

Leighton

Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 20:53:45 +0000

Leighton,

I'd suggest you treat this Thornleigh syncro as a toe in the water training exercise .... give this one a miss. You could do much better for a few thou more than that, if you're patient.

Given what you've said below, I'd question its present reliability, its legality, its total lack of completeness and the high costs you will incur to bring it up to something usable for a family to enjoy over many years. It'll cost you a fortune on top of the $10 thou to bring it up to scratch plus humungous time input on many fronts. Look for a camper already properly set up. It'll be an easier, quicker and cheaper way to achieve what you're after.

Ken

Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 14:49:46 +1100

Les,

Thanks so much again for the advice and I will learn more as time goes on. I am looking for a safe reliable Syncro for my family to enjoy for many years.

Leighton

Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 14:45:19 +1100

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of plander@optusnet.com.au

>