Does anyone have big brakes on thier van? OR a south african van registered in Australia?

Hi All,

You might have gathered some of the engineering approval fun I'm having.  I'm really hopeful there is someone here who has had bigger front brakes (any type!) put on their van, and got an engineers approval.  OR anyone with a south african van registered here.  Please contact me if so, your approval, and any testing if you got that done also, would help me avoid having to pay an additional $1500+ just for special brake testing.

Thanks in advance, Sam

0414 737 587

Hi Sam,

I have a Small Cars big brake kit on my Syncro that I fitted myself. I'm in QLD don't know if it needs engineering or not. I will say that they haven't made a noticeable difference.

I also have a South African 1985 dual cab 2WD which has been engineered for 2 person as there were no seat belts when it arrive in Aust. and the guy that imported it and sold it to me only put 2 seat belts in.

It also had a 3lt V6 Ford Capri motor in it that wasn't engineer certified but some how I got it registered. 

I have since put the 2.1 from my Syncro in it.

For sale if anyone is interested.

Peter

0448 690 696
Worongary QLD
Sam, i have installed Audi A4 front and rear brakes some 25 yrs ago. They did come with the german TÜV certificate, which, i am sure, I wont find any more.
Nobody ever was interested in what was installed. I found the brakes non better than the originals with the exception of fading . 
Looking forward meeting up with you .
Hart

Sent from my iPad

On 25 May 2017, at 2:41 PM, me@samarnold.org [Syncro_T3_Australia] <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hi All,

You might have gathered some of the engineering approval fun I'm having.  I'm really hopeful there is someone here who has had bigger front brakes (any type!) put on their van, and got an engineers approval.  OR anyone with a south african van registered here.  Please contact me if so, your approval, and any testing if you got that done also, would help me avoid having to pay an additional $1500+ just for special brake testing.

Thanks in advance, Sam

0414 737 587

I concur with Hart.

The big brakes dont do much without the bigger BMW booster. But with heavy loads you have peace of mind that they wont give up half way down a big hill.

Mine are great when they get warm but the same as the originals when they are cold.

Cheers,

Skot

On 25/05/2017 6:39 PM, Hartmut Kiehn hartis@live.com.au [Syncro_T3_Australia] wrote:

Sam, i have installed Audi A4 front and rear brakes some 25 yrs ago. They did come with the german TÜV certificate, which, i am sure, I wont find any more.
Nobody ever was interested in what was installed. I found the brakes non better than the originals with the exception of fading .
Looking forward meeting up with you .
Hart

Sent from my iPad

On 25 May 2017, at 2:41 PM, me@samarnold.org [Syncro_T3_Australia] <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hi All,

You might have gathered some of the engineering approval fun I'm having. I'm really hopeful there is someone here who has had bigger front brakes (any type!) put on their van, and got an engineers approval. OR anyone with a south african van registered here. Please contact me if so, your approval, and any testing if you got that done also, would help me avoid having to pay an additional $1500+ just for special brake testing.

Thanks in advance, Sam

0414 737 587

--
Best regards, Scott Pitcher SPB Consulting
What is the difference with the sth African van brakes. I know the cat converter is not on mine

On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 2:41 PM, me@samarnold.org [Syncro_T3_Australia] <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hi All,

You might have gathered some of the engineering approval fun I'm having. I'm really hopeful there is someone here who has had bigger front brakes (any type!) put on their van, and got an engineers approval. OR anyone with a south african van registered here. Please contact me if so, your approval, and any testing if you got that done also, would help me avoid having to pay an additional $1500+ just for special brake testing.

Thanks in advance, Sam

0414 737 587

Hey Peter,

From what I can gather, it's the 2.6i engine south african van from 95-03 that had larger vented front discs.  It's a bit confusing though I -think- this disc and the related calipers are pretty unique to that vehicle.  Would appreciate though if any can confirm use of these parts on other vehicles.  I also believe the rear drums had more metal in them but are interchangeable otherwise. 

What's your van?

It's another argument about are these brakes better / necessary, though that's a non-issue for me, as I need some sort of brake upgrade that I can get approved, hopefully without costing silly money, so that I can eventually complete my subaru conversion.  It just happens that it would be really good if I can sort out and move on this brake issue within a fortnight. 

Thanks all, have a few leads but still looking for the indisputable certifiable brake solution / south african van registered in australia if anyone can help!  Sam
Hey Sam, might be useless info , but I remember a big window SA van for sale a couple of years back. Think it was on car sales. Wander if it may jog someone's memory as to where it might be ,Eddie.

nice looking dual cab Peter!

I'm not after one, but would be cool to see an imported one. Are there a lot of differences?

Richard

not registered have to fix up a few bits for that
its an all original twin dif lock microbus was a self import from the original owner who migrated but could not leave his syncro behind
adults were crying the day I picked her up

On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 9:21 AM, me@samarnold.org [Syncro_T3_Australia] <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hey Peter,

From what I can gather, it's the 2.6i engine south african van from 95-03 that had larger vented front discs. It's a bit confusing though I -think- this disc and the related calipers are pretty unique to that vehicle. Would appreciate though if any can confirm use of these parts on other vehicles. I also believe the rear drums had more metal in them but are interchangeable otherwise.

What's your van?

It's another argument about are these brakes better / necessary, though that's a non-issue for me, as I need some sort of brake upgrade that I can get approved, hopefully without costing silly money, so that I can eventually complete my subaru conversion. It just happens that it would be really good if I can sort out and move on this brake issue within a fortnight.

Thanks all, have a few leads but still looking for the indisputable certifiable brake solution / south african van registered in australia if anyone can help! Sam

Sam recently had Audi ?2000 g60 certified (NSW) along with engine conversion and seats
At A to Z at at Currumbin Colin 

On Thursday, May 25, 2017, 2:41 pm, me@samarnold.org [Syncro_T3_Australia] <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hi All,

Thanks in advance, Sam

0414 737 587

Many thanks Colin I've sent you an email.  Sam